THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015  (Read 85843 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #200 on: 22 Jul 2014, 18:13 »

.....how does is it an X wing if it doesn't X? Only looks like a single wing there.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #201 on: 22 Jul 2014, 18:52 »

I've often said that the whole prequel trilogy would make so much more sense if Anakin was 15-16 during episode one. He would have had legitimate reasons for building up anger and resentment growing up a slave. It would have made more sense if Watto was even more of an ass. As it was, Anakin and his mother seemed to have a fair amount of free time and enough disposable money/access to parts for Anakin to build a droid and pod racer. It would have eliminated the rather uncomfortable 'Padme falls in love with an 8 year old' subtext. The Jedi Masters would have had legitimate reasons to not want to train Anakin. It just would have made so much more sense...

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #202 on: 22 Jul 2014, 19:11 »

The more I think about Episode 1, the more I think it would've been better to have Anakin as a teenager, possibly even as old as he was in Episode II. It just makes more sense - how much of Episode 1 reflects on the original trilogy?
I am guessing you havnt seen these then:

and especially this:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #203 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:36 »

.....how does is it an X wing if it doesn't X? Only looks like a single wing there.

Once the s-foils do their thing...

I think the design is based on the early McQuarrie concepts for the X-Wing:

Thanks for the vids Lee. I try to keep away from "what ifs" about the prequels to avoid spoiling them any more for myself, but I'll check these out once I've hit reply!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #204 on: 25 Jul 2014, 10:12 »

I friggen LOVE that he's going all Kenobi!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #205 on: 14 Aug 2014, 15:16 »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #206 on: 14 Aug 2014, 16:06 »

The Kenobi is strong with this one.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #207 on: 14 Aug 2014, 21:26 »

Ben? Ben! No! Don't leave me Ben!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #208 on: 15 Aug 2014, 05:43 »

I'm so glad the stormies are going to be wearing these

instead of this

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #209 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:30 »

I'm just wondering... Why are there going to be Stormtroopers in new, updated armor? That implies the Empire is still alive and doing quite well, despite the deaths of the Emperor and Vader. As well as the decimation of a good chunk of the fleet over Endor and the Death Star II. I guess that evil bureaucracy continues on, even when you cut off the head. Or was there someone waiting to become a new Emperor?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #210 on: 15 Aug 2014, 10:53 »

The EU basically suggested that a lot of the Empire splintered, a good chunk of the fleet wasn't lost at Endor, but a good chunk of first rate captains were. (You don't get to be in Vader and the Emperor's direct command unless you rock, you die pretty quickly otherwise). So the thought that a remnant of the Empire, a galaxy spanning organization doesn't tumble over night when you kill the Emperor isn't surprising to me.

There might even be a sith running around reviving the Sith on a big scale. Which would be awesome.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #211 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:12 »

I expect that the Empire splintered and the Rebels would have to keep fighting. I mean, people are not just going to turn over power if they've been lording it over the locals for  years. But the suggestion is that the back of the Empire was broken at the Battle of Endor. Now some decades later, X-wings are still beat up junkers, while Stormtroopers have new, even shinier and slicker armor suggests to me that nothing really has changed in the decades since Endor.

It's all supposition of course. And we really can't take anything from the EU anymore, since it was officially dumped into the bin.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #212 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:48 »

X-wing!? Junker!?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #213 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:17 »

We've already seen the slick new X-wings though...

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #214 on: 16 Aug 2014, 02:39 »

I suppose one of the great things about Star Wars is that there is always more to it than one would think. I mean, all of the Jedi were supposedly killed, but that didn't happen. I always figured the celebration on Endor was similar to that of the jubilation/ceremony after destroying the first Death Star - yeah, we majorly crippled the enemy but its by no means and out-and-out defeat.

I know we can't take EU stories for 'truth' in the SW canon any more, but some of their basic details will be the same - Luke as a mentor, the New Republic growing but fighting a familiar enemy, etc.

I like the look of these new helmets. Makes me think of Dark Forces era Star Wars, which was one of the more exciting parallel time frames of the OT.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #215 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:19 »

I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #216 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:34 »

I expect that the Empire splintered and the Rebels would have to keep fighting. I mean, people are not just going to turn over power if they've been lording it over the locals for  years. But the suggestion is that the back of the Empire was broken at the Battle of Endor. Now some decades later, X-wings are still beat up junkers, while Stormtroopers have new, even shinier and slicker armor suggests to me that nothing really has changed in the decades since Endor.

IIRC, at the end of the Yuutzang Vong War, the New Republic that the Rebels founded a few years after the Emperor's death collapsed and was replaced by the Galactic Alliance, which had elements of the Empire (including an ex-Imperial Admiral as the Chief of State). By the point we reach The Force Awakens, therefore, something resembling the Empire is on the rise again, although it is no longer Sith-dominated.

It makes sense that the T-41 X-Wing, a design that is over 30 years old, is approaching or passed obsolescence in front-line terms. So would have the original TIE.f TIE Fighter. However, I have no doubt that private operators and the national guards of extreme Rim systems would still use them and consider them their top-performing vehicles.

That's assuming that Lucas and Abrams don't retcon the entire EU out of existence. I've got to say that this sounds more likely.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #217 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:36 »

The trailer just raises more questions!  :-D

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #218 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:07 »

So, how about the lightsaber with laser arm guards? Am I alone in thinking that looks pretty silly?
I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #219 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:17 »

Actually, I don't think that's an X-Wing at all. IMO, it's one of the predecessor type, the Z-95 Headhunter. If so, the fans will go wild; they never forgave Lucus for using that ridiculous two-seat six-foil heavy fighter instead of the Headhunter in Revenge of the Sith.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #220 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:26 »

Actually, I don't think that's an X-Wing at all.
its actually an x-wing. I nerdgasmed when i saw that part of the trailer

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #221 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:28 »

Sigh. The trailer just isn't doing it for me.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #222 on: 28 Nov 2014, 13:27 »

Actually, I don't think that's an X-Wing at all.

its actually an x-wing. I nerdgasmed when i saw that part of the trailer

Not the trailer, the video thumbnail of the blue-detailed starfighter on the previous page. X-Wings have four circular inlets whilst this one only has two inlets and two lasers. It also has a shallower fuselage. It looks more like a Z-95 than an X-Wing to me.

So, how about the lightsaber with laser arm guards? Am I alone in thinking that looks pretty silly?

Yeah, silly and dangerous in a way that screams 'cheap "zOmGaweSuM!!1!" bait' to me.
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #223 on: 28 Nov 2014, 16:23 »

Extremely silly, in the same way as fantasy weapons with spikes in places that would be more dangerous to the wielder than anyone else. Of course the original lightsabers, with no handguard at all, were extremely silly too. The comic-relief beachball robot is silly. The tie-fighters zooming about in an atmosphere look pretty silly (aerodynamics much?). Oh, and what is the betting that the X-wing pilot, and girl on the hoverbike, are "good guys", and the guy in the stormtrooper armour is a baddie? :(

That trailer does nothing for me.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #224 on: 28 Nov 2014, 16:43 »

Damn, are we all that jaded in the age of the internet?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #225 on: 28 Nov 2014, 16:52 »

Oh, sorry. ZOMG! Everything in that trailer was new and fresh and awesome!
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #226 on: 28 Nov 2014, 17:08 »

eh, I said the new design of the X-wings made them look like Z-95s when they revealed it months back.. It's like they are designing in reverse. As far as the light-longsword goes.. It's stupid. Not any more stupid than Maul's pole saber though. The little cross bar blades are just pointless and potentially dangerous. And they wouldn't serve the purpose of a cross guard in catching a blade, since if they did, the enemy's lightsaber would come into contact with the metal parts of the cross guard, not the energy parts. Just another idea they thought would be could that makes no logical sense.

My peeve though is... Tatooine. Freaking, bloody Tatooine. Again. Supposedly the armpit of the galaxy, a little no where world on the Outer Rim. Yet it gave birth (literally apparently) to Darth Vader. It's where Luke grew up and Obi-Wan hid out. It's been in nearly every movie and visited so often... And here we are again. I would at least like some explanation that the planet is actually some Force nexus and a lot more important than everyone assumed. But that would be stretching it that nobody's figured that out for thousands of years. And I imagine they are just going back there as a location because it's appeared so much. Essentially the film's version of 'it's famous because it's famous'.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #227 on: 28 Nov 2014, 17:17 »

That is essentially the problem with the whole trailer. Everything is a call-back. Tatooine, stormtroopers, cute/funny robot, desert junkyard, girl on a hoverbike, the Millennium Falcon, tie-fighters & X-wings, lightsabers, ominous dark-robed figures... It rather screams: "We are too terrified to change even one teat on our money-cow."

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #228 on: 28 Nov 2014, 17:38 »

pretty much. the whole thing comes across as a pandery fan-film to me.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #229 on: 28 Nov 2014, 17:50 »

So, 30 years after the fuzzy muppet Star Wars movie, and The Empire is still using TIE fighters, and the rebels are still using X-Wing fighters.  Nothing new after 30 years.

You can tell The Empire is run by conservatives.  Conservatives always repress science and technology spending.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #230 on: 28 Nov 2014, 17:53 »

*lets out a long, LONG breath.*

Alright, so with some considerations to the obvious (Crossbar guard on a lightsaber MADE of lightsabers, really? What crack riddled hallucination concocted THAT very obvious workplace accident? Also yes, so very, very pandery) I do find myself looking at some parts and feeling somewhat hopeful as to what they may mean. For example, the bits with the stormtroopers didn't actually make me at all think they were specifically evil, surprisingly enough. I kinda hope that whatever the case is, they get some better shrift, and some acknowledgement of the fact they were supposed to be elite as all fuck, instead of having a marksmanship academy named after them.

Secondly, while that was very, very, very, very similiar to the Falcon. . . I don't think it was. Too clean, I think, and the dish on top wasn't the same. So maybe something different, but yeah, agreed on how it was very much pander bait.

So, terrible sneak peek, to be sure, but still some hopeful bits in my opinion.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #231 on: 28 Nov 2014, 18:12 »

It was pointed out in another online forum that the Falcon lost a dish during ROTJ.

I'm betting our protagonist in the stormtrooper getup is a descendant of Mace Windu.
Just another Joe like 46

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #232 on: 28 Nov 2014, 18:16 »

True enough, but does Solo really strike you as the sort to not have his baby looking just as fine as she always did? Guy would probably agonize over buying new screws if they changed the look of his beloved ship. Still, good point.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #233 on: 28 Nov 2014, 18:48 »

if han cared about what the falcon looked like, people wouldn't keep saying it looked like a piece of shit.

to me, it seems perfectly reasonable that he would make numerous modifications and upgrades over the course of 3 decades; trying to keep it running as it falls further & further into obsolescence.

one of those modifications may very well have been to install a new radar/deflector/whatever that didn't require an external antenna. which would make sense, as he was joining the rebellion & would be taking the ship into combat more often, rather than running away like he did as a smuggler.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #234 on: 28 Nov 2014, 18:54 »

It's not about the fact that it was a bucket of bolts, it was the fact that it was HIS bucket of bolts.

And as for what role you'd skew your mods to on it, you don't fix what ain't broken. The Rebellion was a guerrilla force outside of the very few times it stood for a pitched battle, so the Falcon as it was was a good fit. A smugglers ship, perfect for getting in and out as undetected as possible with whatever the cargo would have been, with shields and engine enough to survive and escape being caught in the act if it ever was.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #236 on: 28 Nov 2014, 19:34 »

Yeah I don't feel one way or another about the teaser trailer

I think the prequels broke me

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #237 on: 28 Nov 2014, 21:17 »

if han cared about what the falcon looked like, people wouldn't keep saying it looked like a piece of shit.

Hey, she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #238 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:57 »

That is essentially the problem with the whole trailer. Everything is a call-back. Tatooine, stormtroopers, cute/funny robot, desert junkyard, girl on a hoverbike, the Millennium Falcon, tie-fighters & X-wings, lightsabers, ominous dark-robed figures... It rather screams: "We are too terrified to change even one teat on our money-cow."

...are you familiar with Lucas Arts and Das Maus at all? ;P

"We are too terrified to change even one teat on our money-cow."

is engraved on the Disney board room wall and branded onto all executive level staff.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #239 on: 29 Nov 2014, 06:21 »

I'm biased.

Star Wars was the first film I actually sat all the way through and watched.

I like the trailer.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #240 on: 29 Nov 2014, 16:43 »

And on a bit of a sad note, David Prowse has revealed that he is suffering from Dementia

http://www.epictimes.com/2014/11/the-man-behind-the-darth-vadar-mask-david-prowse-reveals-he-suffers-from-dementia/
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2014, 12:43 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #241 on: 30 Nov 2014, 06:40 »

Just to remind us just what a crazy pilot Han Solo is and just what a hotrod the Millennium Falcon is, someone has actually re-edited that part of the teaser to show the Falcon's manoeuvres against a stable-horizon background.

~~~~

GarandMarine

• Awakened

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #243 on: 30 Nov 2014, 17:05 »

Dat special edition trailer that just leaked do

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #244 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:43 »

You can tell The Empire is run by conservatives.  Conservatives always repress science and technology spending.

Have you seen America's defense budget?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #245 on: 01 Dec 2014, 17:27 »

Buying lots of stuff doesn't mean you're buying the most advanced stuff...
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #246 on: 01 Dec 2014, 18:24 »

Right... because America's military isn't quite literally the bleeding technological edge. We're approaching rail guns, combat ready laser weapons, exo-skeletons and fuck only knows what DARPA has sealed away in their labs. The defense industry has always massively advanced tech.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #247 on: 01 Dec 2014, 18:38 »

And expensive flops

REALLY expensive flops

Then there's the JSF.
James The Kugai 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #248 on: 01 Dec 2014, 18:45 »

They have Gundams on display.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #249 on: 01 Dec 2014, 20:13 »

Right... because America's military isn't quite literally the bleeding technological edge. We're approaching rail guns, combat ready laser weapons, exo-skeletons and fuck only knows what DARPA has sealed away in their labs. The defense industry has always massively advanced tech.

We've been "approaching" that stuff for 30 years and some of it actually works, yet the standard weapons for the armed forces are M16s, various sniper rifles, and pistols.
Because bleeding edge tech is expensive, finicky, full of bugs, and easy to break.
The low tech, cheap and reliable stuff will always be the choice of the battlefield.
No matter which Galaxy that battlefield exists in.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up