THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015  (Read 85787 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Star Wars 7 coming in 2015
« Reply #250 on: 01 Dec 2014, 20:46 »

Humans are also cheaper and more expendable than terminators or hypothetical Evas (not to mention the trouble of finding a sane pilot for the latter).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #251 on: 01 Dec 2014, 21:26 »

Right... because America's military isn't quite literally the bleeding technological edge. We're approaching rail guns, combat ready laser weapons, exo-skeletons and fuck only knows what DARPA has sealed away in their labs. The defense industry has always massively advanced tech.

We've been "approaching" that stuff for 30 years and some of it actually works, yet the standard weapons for the armed forces are M16s, various sniper rifles, and pistols.

Not to mention the fact that robots patrol the sky.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #252 on: 01 Dec 2014, 22:15 »

Skynet anyone?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #253 on: 01 Dec 2014, 23:09 »

In many ways, Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker were fascists. They believed in establishing absolute order through force. Like their RL equivalents, this would doubtless include open-ended scientific research without any ethical controls so long as it produced tools to increase the Emperor's power.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2014, 01:41 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #254 on: 02 Dec 2014, 01:30 »

Right... because America's military isn't quite literally the bleeding technological edge. We're approaching rail guns, combat ready laser weapons, exo-skeletons and fuck only knows what DARPA has sealed away in their labs. The defense industry has always massively advanced tech.

We've been "approaching" that stuff for 30 years and some of it actually works, yet the standard weapons for the armed forces are M16s, various sniper rifles, and pistols.

Not to mention the fact that robots patrol the sky.

You're overhyping them, they're basically a more expensive version of this:

With a camera (and sometimes gun) attached.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #255 on: 02 Dec 2014, 05:30 »

Yes. F-18s and MV-22 Ospreys are super low tech, as are the various shaped high explosives and anti-tank weapons we run around with, never mind the mini drones, satcoms, GPS units, laser designators and gods knows what else they're loading us down with these days (NVGs and PEQ3s are my favorites, night vision + infrared bore sighted laser = all sorts of fun.) You'd also be remiss to call a lot of those sniper rifles low tech. The level of precision machining that goes into say, an Accuracy International .338 Lapua Platform is astonishing, and do represent the razor's edge in precision firearms manufacturing and ballistics. Side note, don't let Caspian Sea Monster hear you call the M16/AR platform low tech, she'll give you an earful about that particular design.

It's taken 30 years to get to that stuff in the testing and field operational sense because that's quite literally how far ahead of the curve the United States is tech wise. For fuck's sake the Gerald Ford class of super carriers is replacing the faithful steam powered catapult with an electromagnetic variant, meanwhile our closest rivals are using fucking SKI JUMPS. For suck's sake look how stupid this is:

Never mind the significant military disadvantages the STOBAR design has vs. CATOBAR.

Radar, GPS, Much, if not all modern emergency medicine and trauma care, a wide variety of exciting new alloys and metals, pretty much the whole of modern aviation and a good chunk of our spatial advances, satellite communications as previously mentioned, a bunch of things no one gets excited about any more involving radio, nuclear energy, massive advances in photography and photo imaging, a good chunk of modern computing AND of course, last but not least, the internet in it's base concept, all courtesy of the United States Department of Defense.

And expensive flops

REALLY expensive flops

Then there's the JSF.

Welcome to science and technology? Not like this is anything new, especially in Aerospace. Hell the MV-22 Osprey killed a fair number of people, but that's the risk of pushing the envelope. Accidents can and will happen, and the resulting aircraft is a revolutionary design that's completely overhauled how we approach medium lift capacity. The procurement program's totally fucked though. I till however point out that the desperately needed JSF VTOL model is working just fine. Apparently the Carrier variant did excellent at it's first sea trials and impressed the hell out of the F-18 drivers putting her through her paces. The Harrier pilots love the B, but then, the Harrier's so old

However, we're way off course.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #256 on: 02 Dec 2014, 06:40 »

Ok, gotcha.
I dunno..

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #257 on: 02 Dec 2014, 20:12 »

This is as good a time as any for us all to brush up on our Star Wars knowledge.

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #258 on: 03 Dec 2014, 05:38 »

"The Christ is strong in this one!"
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #259 on: 03 Dec 2014, 06:16 »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #260 on: 03 Dec 2014, 13:30 »

*Snerk*
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #262 on: 04 Dec 2014, 13:37 »

I have allegedly leaked info

(click to show/hide)

If HALF of this is true I am hype as fuck now.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #263 on: 04 Dec 2014, 13:50 »

Interesting, and how did you come across this information.  It seems plausible.  Though I am more inclined to think the crossguard lightsaber wielding person is Brienne of Tarth whom I am calling Darth Tarth.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #264 on: 04 Dec 2014, 13:57 »

It was always infinitely more likely than not but I'm still a bit PO'd about the EU thing.
~~~~

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #265 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:19 »

ok, i kinda gave up on star wars years ago. but if any of that is true, it'd be the first thing i've heard thus far that makes me think this thing still has some promise.

(click to show/hide)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #266 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:24 »

It was always infinitely more likely than not but I'm still a bit PO'd about the EU thing.

honestly, i don't know how they could possibly make a coherent movie with all that baggage attached to it; trying to make it fit with decades of stories, which were often contradictory, and of extremely varying quality. starting with a clean slate really is the best option, i think.

besides which, do you think disney would really canonize any material they didn't have complete and total copyright control over?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #267 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:58 »

IS anyone else snickering that John Boyega's Character's name is Finn as in Finn the human?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #268 on: 11 Dec 2014, 17:36 »

It's the first thing I thought of.. The question is, who is Jake?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #269 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:53 »

The droid BB-8?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #270 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:33 »

IG-88?

J/k
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #271 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:39 »

BB-8 is apparently the soccer ball droid from the trailer.  :-P  And the girl on the speeder bike is Rey.  And greatsword lightsaber dude is Kylo.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #272 on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:18 »

And greatsword lightsaber dude is Kylo.

A sith-sword... which is actually partly manufactured by focussing the Dark Side into the lasing crystals. I wonder if this is going to turn out to be a 'The One Ring' situation where, every time he uses the sword, it corrupts him until, no matter what his original intentions were, he's become a  tool of the Darkness?
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #273 on: 12 Dec 2014, 07:27 »

Depending on how you look at it, using the Dark Side is inherently corrupting, or not. It's one of the things Lucas was rather inconsistent on. Which is realistic, but frustrating to other writers and trying to make sense of the greater whole. In some episodes, the Light and the Dark are treated as actual, almost intelligent things. Turning to the Dark, even briefly, has a cumulative and corruptive influence on a person. This unfortunately takes some responsibility to Dark Side users. They become as much victims of an all powerful, evil force. Essentially 'the Devil made me do it'.

At other times the Force just is. It is neither good nor evil. It has no sentience and only maybe some inclination. Whether you were Dark or Light or somewhere in between was a matter of what you chose to do with it, and what you did in general. The Dark Side is considered Dark because as Yoda puts it, it is easier, more seductive. Instead of restraint and control, you get to unleash your anger and fury on something or someone as a real, tangible force. Could you imagine what it would be like for most people, who suffer dozens of frustrations and aggressions at the hands of other things and people every day. And they could just lash out with their mind. I am a good person... But the kind of damage I could do when I get a burst of anger at someone cutting me off, or having a frustrating day and the copying machine or whatever jams... again. Yeah, giving into that would be easy, very easy. And now think that having such powers puts you in a position of strength over other people, where it is very difficult for them to stop you from doing whatever you want, to whomever you want whenever you want. It would be very easy to slide to Darkness based on that. But in the end, it would all be that person's doing. Not the bidding of some omnipresent, near omnipowerful Force. The power itself may be neutral, but humans being humans (or aliens...) unlimited power tends to corrupt.

In the end, there haven't been any real answers as to whether the Force itself has alignment and intelligence, or just exists and people blame their own actions on something greater than them. Which is an excuse that's been used all throughout history to try and get out of the consequences of heinous actions.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #274 on: 12 Dec 2014, 07:43 »

If they go with The Force being some kind of sentient deity, I'm going to be very, very disappointed. That's worse than midichlorians.
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #275 on: 12 Dec 2014, 07:57 »

The Clone Wars series tiptoed a bit close to that but they still kept the force a mystery.  GL described the force as a calm lake but when the dark side shows up it disturbs the lake causing ripples in the water.  The light side is what "balances everything" out and makes the water calm again.  This "awakening" could just be new ripples in the pond.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #276 on: 12 Dec 2014, 08:11 »

I think the force is best kept as pure natural force, with the "dark" and "light" side just being subjective perspectives on how to utilize it.
I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #277 on: 12 Dec 2014, 09:51 »

To me, the Force has alignment but no sentience. The nature of the energies that the adept accesses is determined by the outcome that they want on a conscious level. To use destructive forces, like Force Lightning, you have to access Dark Force energy, the energy of destruction and entropy. Because of its inherit nature, it induces spiritual and physical corruption in those who make too free use of it. Conversely, using the Force for a positive purpose like healing requires accessing the Light Force of growth and harmony. This similarly has a positive effect on its user, which might be the reason Yoda lived so long.

The other thing to remember is that I suspect that using Dark Force energy is mildly addictive, both on a spiritual and a physical level. The rush of easy power and easy solutions, the sick pleasure of dominating others; as well as being morally corrupting, these can also be habit-forming. The more one uses power, the more one wants to use it and will find excuses for doing so, accelerating the process of corruption in a negative feedback loop. I think that this is one of the reasons the Jedi have such strong emotional and personal disciplines, to control the desire for power that leaves one open to the temptations of the Dark.

Then we add the other distinction (which is practically the only element of Jedi lore in The Phantom Menace that's part of my head-canon). That of 'Universal' Force and 'Living' Force. The Universal Force represents the ultimate heartbeat of creation itself. It is beyond human definitions of 'alignment'; it is the absolute energy of nature itself. The Living Force is the energy created by life-forms. It is part of the Universal Force but, because it's energies are in part created by sentient life-forms, it is 'infected', for a lack of a better term, with our limited nature, our morality and our focus on destiny (personal destiny, especially; the Universal Force tends to be more about the absolute balance of nature) and alignment (whether a person is good or evil).
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 10:00 by BenRG »
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #278 on: 12 Dec 2014, 12:05 »

James The Kugai 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #279 on: 16 Dec 2014, 14:21 »

Pretentious, poorly-written, with an illustration ripped-off from *ahem* inspired by the Assassin's Creed games? :roll:  If there is no dark or light side, how can there be a balance to be maintained?

I just take the Force as a clumsily-expressed misunderstanding of the Tao and qi muddled together, with the serial numbers filed off, and yet presented as something original. Taoism explicitly embraces balance, but not between good and evil (yin and yang are complementary, not opposed); imbalance is the evil. Qi is simply a force of nature (assuming you believe it exists) with no sentience or moral nature at all. I would see Sith as corrupted by their delusion, not by some hypothetical "external" Dark Side, but then I am probably no more able to escape my own philosophical/religious background than George Lucas was his dualistic, Abrahamic one.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #280 on: 16 Dec 2014, 14:23 »

I always found the force to be a fantasy mixture of ESP and Zoroastrianism

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #281 on: 16 Dec 2014, 14:32 »

Taoism explicitly embraces balance, but not between good and evil (yin and yang are complementary, not opposed); imbalance is the evil. Qi is simply a force of nature (assuming you believe it exists) with no sentience or moral nature at all. I would see Sith as corrupted by their delusion, not by some hypothetical "external" Dark Side, but then I am probably no more able to escape my own philosophical/religious background than George Lucas was his dualistic, Abrahamic one.

Actually that is exactly how George Lucas explained the "balance" of the force.  Sith is the imbalance.  Jedi bring balance.  A common misunderstanding is that bringing balance of the force is balancing good and evil, light and dark, sith and jedi.  Nope, Just Jedi are about balance and Sith are imbalance.  So Anakin was suppose to make everything all balance with this chosen one thing by balancing the force.  Not destroying the balance (as Obi-Wan said after slicing Anakin's arms and legs off) by becoming a big Sith.

Think of it this way, Anakin was suppose to be the Avatar and balance the 4 nations and stuff.  Instead he became the firelord and destroyed the balance and invaded everyone.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #282 on: 16 Dec 2014, 16:10 »

How does one balance the force, technically? Must ther be equal amounts of force on each side of some center? What axis do they balance the force around? What will happen if it topples?
I dunno..

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #283 on: 16 Dec 2014, 19:24 »

I'm pretty sure the force is just bacteria in one's blood.  :clairedoge:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #284 on: 16 Dec 2014, 19:47 »

One of the most BS thing about the prequels.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #285 on: 16 Dec 2014, 19:55 »

I'm pretty sure the whole prophecy was bunk... The only ones who seemed to believe in it were Qui-gon and Obi-wan.  There was never any indication that the Force was out of balance in the first place. The Senate was, with all the bickering. And the galaxy was, what with Palpatine pulling strings with the war and pretty much everything.  But none of that seems to show an imbalance. The other side would be to look at it in terms of Order and Chaos. Which would fit the concepts of the Jedi and Sith... except in the end it was the Sith who were the ones who brought both Chaos and Order, through the formation of the Empire.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #286 on: 16 Dec 2014, 19:58 »

I'm pretty sure the force is just bacteria in one's blood.  :clairedoge:

No no no no no, everyone gets that wrong.  Midichlorians aren't what makes a person Force-sensitive, they're just attracted to Force-sensitive individuals.  The more a person is in tune with the Force, the more fertile a breeding ground for these apparently-harmless Force-sensitive bacteria.  Problem is, the Jedi of the Old Republic got it all switched around and assumed that Midichlorians were what gave the Jedi their powers, so they figured all they needed to do was find people with high MC counts, et voila!, perfect Jedi!  But being especially Force-sensitive isn't actually guarantee that one will use the Force for good, so obviously more training is required.  The Jedi failed to do that with Anakin and just trusted in dumb prophecy instead, which got them in a world of trouble, which is why a generation later Obi-Wan was wise enough to not mention blood parasites to Luke at all.  The kid's got some talent?  Better goddamn train him, then.

And with that little bit of headcanon, Episode I becomes slightly more bearable.  But only slightly.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #287 on: 16 Dec 2014, 20:04 »

Now just edit-out Jar-Jar.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #288 on: 16 Dec 2014, 20:18 »

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #289 on: 16 Dec 2014, 20:55 »

Now just edit-out Jar-Jar.

I haven't found it myself, but there are rumors that "The Phantom Edit" is somewhere on the Internet.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #290 on: 16 Dec 2014, 21:10 »

“A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.”

– Frank Herbert, Dune series
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #291 on: 16 Dec 2014, 21:25 »

I haven't found it myself, but there are rumors that "The Phantom Edit" is somewhere on the Internet.

Right here on Youtube.  Although I haven't watched it to verify, so apologies if you're rickrolled a few minutes in.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #293 on: 19 Dec 2014, 22:46 »

https://www.reddit.com/comments/2pqcqy/slug/cmz6s38

I managed to keep a staight face until "defenceless Peace Moon". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #294 on: 20 Dec 2014, 01:35 »

Then maybe you'll like Darths and Droids. It's where the Peace Moon joke came from originally.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #295 on: 20 Dec 2014, 12:00 »

“A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.”

– Frank Herbert, Dune series

"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
James The Kugai 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #296 on: 20 Dec 2014, 15:42 »

Drink up, the world's about to end.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #297 on: 20 Dec 2014, 16:13 »

...Is this some sort of reference in-Universe to the number of different styles of lightsabers there are?

:claireface:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #298 on: 21 Dec 2014, 00:38 »

...Is this some sort of reference in-Universe to the number of different styles of lightsabers there are?

:claireface:

In the extended universe, the colour of the lightsabre's blade is determined by the particular way that the adept in question follows the guidance of the Force. There are also many Forms of lightsabre katas that can define the shape of the weapon. For example, Form Three requires a double-bladed weapon.
~~~~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #299 on: 21 Dec 2014, 06:23 »

...aaaaand someone didn't get my lame attempt at a 42 joke.  :meh:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up