THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peaking early  (Read 6615 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Peaking early
« on: 01 Feb 2013, 14:30 »

So the more of The Doors I hear, the more I feel like... well, they pretty much peaked with their first try, didn't they? They may have a lot of other good songs, but 'Break On Through' is years ahead of its time and they never did anything so heavy either.

Similarly, the more I hear of Azealia Banks, the more I am absolutely convinced that she will never record anything that even TOUCHES '212' ever again.

What are some other musicians that peaked with their first single and it was all downhill from there?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zingoleb

Re: Peaking early
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2013, 10:08 »

I love 212 but I haven't heard anything else from her that I've even liked. I'm trying to think of other bands that fit in with this, and the only thing coming to mind is Boston.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2013, 11:06 »

Metal bullcrap coming up. Trigger warning: Noisy music for asocial neckbeards.

Ok, let's go:

Well, dISEMBOWELMENT and Demilich obviously. Also Pestilence. To some extent Ulver, but then again not quite because their later output is really really good as well. They'll just never be able to top "Bergtatt" IMO, as that record is perfect in every way.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2013, 11:58 »

See Lummer, I'm not talking about bands who have great debuts and then fall down, because there's shitloads of bands like that, it's an infamous occurrence, the sophomore slump.

I mean literally the first song they released.

Zingoleb

« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2013, 11:51 »

So...one hit wonders?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2013, 12:07 »

No, for several reasons.

1. Many one-hit-wonders are not successful off the back of their first single. 'Come On Eileen' was like the eighth single by Dexys Midnight Runners I think. They therefore do not apply. '212' and 'Break On Through' are literally the very first singles that either act put out.

2. I am not talking about success commercially, I am talking about critically. 'Come On Eileen' was also nowhere near the best song by Dexys, or even the best single by Dexys.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2013, 02:31 »

Well shit I didn't notice this wasn't in CHATTER and so I figured it'd be about orgasms

Honestly I really like a pretty fair-sized handful of songs by the Doors, not including "Break On Through" because I could really give a fuck about that song thanks to oldies radio abusing it. Fucking California radio has to ruin all of the songs
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2013, 03:06 »

Well shit I didn't notice this wasn't in CHATTER and so I figured it'd be about orgasms

You're not alone, trust me.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2013, 08:32 »

Peak early, peak often...

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2013, 09:31 »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2013, 19:00 »

So the more of The Doors I hear, the more I feel like... well, they pretty much peaked with their first try, didn't they? They may have a lot of other good songs, but 'Break On Through' is years ahead of its time and they never did anything so heavy either.

The only thing I really like from The Doors was their collaboration with Skrillex on "Breakn' a Sweat". Sorry :emotrex:
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: [1]   Go Up