THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio interfaces  (Read 5434 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Audio interfaces
« on: 01 Mar 2013, 06:55 »

OK so there's been threads... many times in fact. But most of them don't cover this specific topic and I might as well make a new one so..

Audio interfaces. Your thoughts.

I've been looking at this one: http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

Which is about the price range I'm looking for, could go a bit higher if needed.

What I'm looking for is two mic inputs and a MIDI input and decent enough sound to make an acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic guitar. I record with a SM57 mic through Garageband on a MacBook Pro like a good, honest hipster.  :-)

Also, any thoughts on software? May want to update to Logic Pro. I've been pretty pleased with Garageband though. So far at least.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Audio interfaces
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2013, 10:44 »

That seems fine to me. Really, with A/Is the most important thing is that it has the ins and outs you want—secondary is how clean the pre-amp is (the "Gain" knobs on the page you linked). A really noisy pre-amp is, obviously, a really terrible investment, but depending on how clean your input signal is, you can afford to drop the gain way down and boost it all in post.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2013, 20:37 »

I've heard pretty good things about the Focusrite.

I have a Presonus Audiobox, and it's fairly decent. As far as I can tell the preamps are pretty clean, but my mics are pretty crappy so my drum and guitar stuff always sounds like ass. The drivers are a pain to deal with, but it plays well with Cakewalk so I'm happy.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2013, 00:49 »

Uh-huh. Well it seems like most A/Is (thanks for that abbreviation!) made today are pretty decent and using a macbook pro seems like it makes things a whole lot easier.

David Pajo used Garageband and a laptop to record at least one album and it sounds good enough to me. Proof that studios have pretty much become obsolete for the solo musician I believe!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2013, 19:49 »

DUDE I OWN THAT THING!!!

I would definitely buy it if you're not looking at hooking up a ton of mics for the same run.  I use it along with my Asus to record stuff and it sounds gooood.  It's very clean (especially for the price) and the design is concise, effective, and sexy in my opinion.  If that's your price range I'd say fire away  :-D
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 07:50 »

I bought it. Apart from having to ask for a new activation code (to install the latest software) from the customer service it totally works. Plugging a bass directly into it doesn't sound good but I didn't expect it to. What can you do. I'd definitely recommend this thing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up