THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Election  (Read 28545 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Re: 2012 Election
« Reply #100 on: 08 Nov 2012, 18:52 »

The quiz suggested that I vote for Stein, but Obama got my vote because, well.....as much as I hate to think so, any vote for a third party might as well be a vote thrown out the window at this point.  :-\

You were still asked for an ID at the poll.....

I wasn't.....granted, they did the signature thing but yeah. No ID.

I too was trying to decide between Obama and Stein.  I went with Obama because after Hurricane Sandy, I was wondering how well Stein would handle a natural disaster having less experience in the public sector.

Despite living in a swing state, I didn’t care so much about helping Obama win.  I figured what are the chances my one vote would get Romney elected by accident.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #101 on: 08 Nov 2012, 19:45 »

How many other people were making the same calculation about whether their vote would matter? Betcha enough that their cumulative votes mattered.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #102 on: 08 Nov 2012, 23:56 »

"Tactical voting" we call it - and it can be tricky to decide how to play it.  I have never been in a position where there would have been any benefit from voting for someone other than the person I wanted to vote for.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 09 Nov 2012, 01:11 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #104 on: 09 Nov 2012, 04:54 »

With our transferrable-vote system, tactical voting is a way of life. It is common for the person the voters disliked least to get elected rather than the one who gets the largest share of the votes in the first round. This is supposed to discourage extremism, because would-be MPs have to pick up "second preferences" from people who voted for someone else in the first round. I don't have to bother though, because I live in an district where the Coalition could put up dead wombats and they would get elected.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #105 on: 09 Nov 2012, 05:48 »

One of the defeated Michigan propositions would have guaranteed collective bargaining for public employees, now under attack, in the State Constitution. It overreached in scope, and I agreed that putting it in the constitution alone was somewhat of an overreach. I was certain it wouldn't pass, I believed it probably shouldn't pass, but I voted for it in hopes that a close vote would persuade the Legislation it also shouldn't overreach. Result was 58% against, 42% for.

ackblom12

« Reply #106 on: 09 Nov 2012, 06:08 »

Yeah, Prop 2 and 3 were the only ones I voted yes on. 2 was one I could have lived with being constitutionally protected if it had gone through, 3 was a lot more iffy. The rest were actually a bit insulting.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #107 on: 09 Nov 2012, 07:12 »

Unfortunately, we can't do something similar here in Wisconsin. Might be a nice end-round of our current legislators/executive, but it's not an option.

Only thing we have is the courts.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #108 on: 09 Nov 2012, 09:02 »

With our transferrable-vote system, tactical voting is a way of life. It is common for the person the voters disliked least to get elected rather than the one who gets the largest share of the votes in the first round. This is supposed to discourage extremism, because would-be MPs have to pick up "second preferences" from people who voted for someone else in the first round. I don't have to bother though, because I live in an district where the Coalition could put up dead wombats and they would get elected.

It makes perfect sense to me. There have been times when I would also have envied the dead wombat option.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #109 on: 09 Nov 2012, 11:48 »

I think what bothers me the most about what's going on here in AZ is that there are so many votes that NEVER WOULD HAVE been counted, had it not been for a couple of the congress and senate races being so close.

Then there's the whole bit where it looks like Sheriff Joe might have actually had some people give different instructions for people in certain neighborhoods.

It's very difficult to believe that we ran a 'CLEAN ELECTION' at this point.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #110 on: 09 Nov 2012, 11:53 »

Perhaps we need to send in international observers...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #111 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:05 »

Sheriff Joe would just arrest them for being illegal aliens.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #112 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:41 »

Well, it's not like he's ever investigated people that were investigating him...

Oh wait, yeah, he totally did that.

"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #113 on: 09 Nov 2012, 15:42 »

This is quite amusing. The top map for 1850 could be subtitled "Donald Trump's World".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ackblom12

« Reply #114 on: 09 Nov 2012, 15:43 »

Yeah, there have already been complaints from right wing pundits that the "White Institution" is over and complaining that them damn minorities voted more than they expected.

It's almost as hilarious as it is horrifying.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #115 on: 09 Nov 2012, 15:49 »

*no stealing from that site aparently... let me try a different way
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2012, 15:55 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #116 on: 09 Nov 2012, 16:02 »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ackblom12

« Reply #117 on: 10 Nov 2012, 08:58 »

So, a hilarious bit of news came out today.

Mitt Romney is getting sued for allegedly hiding Auto Bailout money in a blind trust.

Mitt Romney just lost the election -- and now, he's about to become the first former candidate ever to be charged with violating federal ethics law.

United Automobile Workers (UAW) and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) are preparing to launch an official lawsuit against Romney for hiding between 15.3 to 111.5 million dollars from the auto industry bailout in his wife Anne’s “blind” trust to conceal the gain and reduce taxes on it.

"The American people have a right to know about Gov. Romney’s potential conflicts of interest, such as the profits his family made from the auto rescue,” the groups said in their official complaint. “It’s time for Gov. Romney to disclose or divest.”

It’s time to expose just how unscrupulous Romney is about making his fortune off the misfortunes of others. Please, support UAW and CREW by calling on Romney to reveal exactly how much he made and continues to make off the auto bailout!

PETITION TO MITT ROMNEY: It’s time to come clean. We demand to know how much money you hid in your wife’s supposed blind trust, and how much you continue to make thanks to the gutting of the auto industry.

Also, it looks like not having to worry about re-election might have genuinely gotten Obama to actually push Republicans on their bullshit.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #118 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:43 »

And yet, one-note Boehner still sings:

Quote from: from John Boehner's facebook
Raising tax rates, as some have proposed, will slow down our economy, hurt small businesses and destroy more than 700,000 jobs. Instead of going over the "fiscal cliff," let's focus together on pro-growth tax & entitlement reform to build a stronger, healthier economy.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 10 Nov 2012, 15:35 »

I don't claim him.  :x
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #120 on: 10 Nov 2012, 15:50 »

Death to the orange one.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #121 on: 10 Nov 2012, 18:01 »

And yet, one-note Boehner still sings:

Quote from: from John Boehner's facebook
Raising tax rates, as some have proposed, will slow down our economy, hurt small businesses and destroy more than 700,000 jobs. Instead of going over the "fiscal cliff," let's focus together on pro-growth tax & entitlement reform to build a stronger, healthier economy.

Look at it this way, by admitting higher taxes slow economic growth, Boehner is inadvertently endorsing Keynesianism.  Take that, Austrian School Tea Party members!

Zingoleb

« Reply #122 on: 10 Nov 2012, 19:22 »

http://www.facebook.com/mittromney

I keep refreshing the page and watching the number of likes dropping. I'm imagining people jumping off of a sinking ship. I mean, if I leave the page for a few minutes, there'll be hundreds less on it.

I'm waiting to see how low it'll drop.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #123 on: 10 Nov 2012, 19:53 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #124 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:14 »

Welcome to your daily dose of rage. Do not read if you have high blood pressure or the ability to kill people over TCP/IP.

Quote from: Farcebook
Liberals are so sick, uneducated and have been brainwashed by there own so called honest Democrats in the school system for the passed 30 years they don't even know that it was the Republican party that freed the slaves in the Civil War and fought for women's right's. They don't even know that Dr. Martin Luther King as well as the large Majority of African Americans were Republicans at the time because they knew that it was the Republican party that fought for and respected them and they also knew that it was a democratic group that formed the KKK against them and it was The Democratic party that wanted to repress blacks and minorities from the work place and the education system and has actually succeeded to a far extent which is why today unemployment is at a record high especially among minorities. Liberals have become totally brainwashed by Democrats into believing that Republicans were racist and against them when in fact is was completely the other way around what a shame. Obama has not done a single thing for minorities except continue to repress them and they have become to brainwashed to see it. Obama is and always will be only interested in his own personal political agenda at any cost. He is not the kind of President America needed to make things right for all the people. He knew that he would be able to use race and brainwashed Liberals like the bunch of puppets that they are to gain what he needed and is now laughing behind there backs just like the sudden phony tears he now uses with applause LMAO. I simply do not bother debating with Liberals, it's like talking to dead wood. Now here's the fun part, can't wait to see how many of them here get pissed off because I just taught them a bit of History facts which they will refuse to believe and try to get me to respond to them. LMFAO AT THEM ALL

A bunch of idiots did some pretty horrendous things so anyone that supports their many-generations-forward descendants is automatically evil? I don't get involved in politics, but are there really people THAT dumb out there?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

« Reply #125 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:44 »

Well, it's also only partially true. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, yes, but in doing what he did he fractured the Republican party pretty damn heavily.

The Democrats, well, that's not untrue. But the Republican party and the Democratic party were both unrecognisably different in the 19th century compared to where they are now.

MLK was not affiliated with either party, and on top of that, he voted Democratic.

Also, Obama...well, he has some unsavoury policies (I wouldn't call him inherently good, but just better than Mittens - if I had to choose which one I'd want to be my dictator, I'd choose the one in power now), but I'd say he's actually pretty pro-minority. He works in ways that appear to be inclusive of all minorities, even backing the DREAM Act - unlike, say, the Republicans who were trying to prevent minorities from voting.

Whoever this person is has a bit of a hard-on for revisionist fantasies, just close enough to the truth to make people fall for it.

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #126 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:41 »

I know that kid... well, technically he's 42 and I don't actually know him, but the posting style, the word choice and the complete disregard for change combined with what is admittedly a decent bit of charisma can only belong to this guy. He's a notorious troll from another site I've been on, but there is just enough uncertainty in whether he believes what he says or not that he was able to remain unbanned.  :x If death could be transmitted via the internet, this guy would have exploded a long time ago...

I've made so many arguments against him that at this point it just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore... >.> Yes, there are people this stupid out there, this is just one of the more vocal ones.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #127 on: 11 Nov 2012, 13:55 »

Anyone who wants to write about the racial attitudes of Republicans and Democrats and lectures others for their ignorance of history deserves no respect if he doesn't know about the Southern Strategy.

He's parroting something from the right-wing press anyway. I saw it go by recently but don't have the stomach to look it up. National Review maybe?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #128 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:05 »

Still no answers on a few races here in AZ, among them the final count for Maricopa County Sheriff.  Penzone has already conceded, because of the separation on election night, but frankly, I think he was unaware of just how many votes were not being counted.  Had he known the actual number, I don't think he would have called it so early.  The fact is that a lot of the votes that 'may not be counted' for identification purposes, are the exact votes that could swing the race back in Penzone's favor, and in fact, a large part of those people registered specifically to vote against Arpaio.  And it was known before election day that they were going to.  It looks for all intents and purposes that they were held to different standards when it came to said ID's as well, considering that I dropped my early ballot, and never even had to SHOW an ID.  OF course, I don't live in south Phoenix, I live in a white bread, no crust neighborhood (as my wife likes to call it), and no one questioned me about if I was in the right polling place, or if I had even registered.

Even if nothing was done wrong by Arpaio, something was clearly being done to keep people from being heard.  It's very hard to ignore, and yet, a lot of people here are trying to do exactly that.

I think it's about time I get out of this state.  Was looking at moving to San Antonio anyway, maybe just sooner now.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 12:54 by Blyss »

My blog

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #129 on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:18 »

As far as voting laws go, here in CT it's been pretty simple for as long as I can remember. You show up at your polling place (there are about 8-12 in each town), show your ID (photo ID has been required for years), and they check you off the registrar's list. You take your ballot, fill in the bubbles, put it in the fancy machine, and get a sticker that says you voted.

Before I was old enough to vote, I remember they had the large machines with the pull-crank, but showing up and ID'ing yourself has been the same procedure since before I was born.
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #130 on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:25 »

Concerning IDing for voting, I've heard that often times people don't have their identity checked when picking up an absentee ballot. 
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #131 on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:41 »

Ohh...yeah, I have no idea. Absentee ballots I have never had to deal with. It wouldn't surprise me though.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #132 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:29 »

I have a question!

After Obama's victory a lot of people got stupid on twitter, informing the world that they did not like a african-american in office. Obviously, I'm paraphrasing. Now, some of these people who got stupid were college kids, on scholarships ... and they got outed to their schools.

Linkie.

How do we feel about outing these people?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #133 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:41 »

In the UK since 1976 incitement to hatred has been a criminal offence, and many of those tweets would count, I imagine.  Freedom of speech is all very fine, but it's sad when it gets used to defend that sort of thing.  However, the trouble is that any drawing of a line will be controversial to some extent or other.  I see no reason why people like that shouldn't get called out on it, though.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #134 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:08 »

Hm hmm. I doubt it´ll do any good calling them out because these kind of people are usually too stupid to grasp what they did wrong. They´ll blame someone else, even if they have to face trial etc.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #135 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:34 »

I think calling them out is the only way to alert them to the stupidity of their comments...and people willing to make this kind of comment on a not-so-anonymous website are those who inwardly think it 24/7.

Also, they're morons for not realizing we've had an african-american in the white house for 4 years already...why start now? Are they trying to be Donald Trump?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #136 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:45 »

I'm not really sure how I feel about this...  It's hard.  I'm not about to jump up and protect these kids from the consequences of their hateful, stupid and very public words, but I'm not about to high-five Jezebel for calling teenagers' principals to alert them to their online behavior.  Am I alone here, or does that make sense to anyone else?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #137 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:59 »

Yes.
Because I often feel like the people who indulge in this kind of e-shaming/vigilantism are just as bad as the folks they´re going after.
I mean, it´s good to get involved! No denying that someone should call people out on spouting this kind of racist bullshit, but I´d respect it more if their respective social environment could do that. And if they live in an environment where it´s A-ok to call someone a racial slur then it´s probably too late and no amount of internet-hate will right this.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #138 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:08 »

Doesn't seem out of line for a school or uni administration/faculty to call them out for that kind of post. Punishment? Not at all. Perhaps sentence them to a consciousness-raising workshop/seminar, taught by an African-American.
I went through some consciousness-raising all at once in my sophomore year: Took an intro sociology course which seemed aimed at exploding and demolishing all kinds of preconceptions about class and race. But I was already curious; my roommate was a black kid I'd asked for, sight-unseen, the previous spring.
How many of these racist twerps grow up in a lily-white world of fellow believers and never work, learn or play with someone of another race?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #139 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:14 »

I'm not really sure how I feel about this...  It's hard.  I'm not about to jump up and protect these kids from the consequences of their hateful, stupid and very public words, but I'm not about to high-five Jezebel for calling teenagers' principals to alert them to their online behavior.  Am I alone here, or does that make sense to anyone else?
Nope. I'm not sure either. That's why I wanted some input. On the one hand I don't want to protect idiots from the consequences of their free speech. On the other hand; stupid kids need education not punishment.

Can't figure it out.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #140 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:33 »

Is it the school's place or right to punish students for actions taken out of school? Mayhaps we need a thread for that question.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

« Reply #141 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:14 »

I mean, it´s good to get involved! No denying that someone should call people out on spouting this kind of racist bullshit, but I´d respect it more if their respective social environment could do that. And if they live in an environment where it´s A-ok to call someone a racial slur then it´s probably too late and no amount of internet-hate will right this.

If you use Twitter, and these people have publically tweeted terrible things, then you *are* a part of their social community. 

There has been a big push online lately to whine, very loudly, about people's freedom of speech. 
Post suggestive pictures of underage girls online? Freeeeedom of speeeech!
Post terribly racist things about the president?  Freeeeedom of speeeech!
Hound an online female persona with rape threats?  Freeeeedom of speeeech!

These are all things which most people find to be objectionable behavior, and the way to address it is not by ignoring it.  These people do have freedom of speech, (unless they are spouting specific and credible threats).  But freedom of speech means the government can not, and should not, get involved.  It does not mean that others in their community should not.  Freedom of speech does not mean you are free from the consequences of your speech.  In fact, if your speech was free from consequences it would likely not legally be "speech" anyways.  Freedom of speech is meant to protect language based communication, so that public debate and discussion can take place without the government's interference.  As much as someone has the freedom to tweet racist things about the president, someone else has the freedom to call them out on it, and should. 

If you grew up in a sheltered and racist place, you may have grown up thinking that this sort of racism is normal and acceptable.  But, you have the power as a rational person to assess you understanding, and to change it.  They only way these people will realize that this is not ok is if people speak up, and speak up in numbers great enough that it becomes clear that most of us do not think this is ok.  Will these people immediately understand why what they said was wrong and have a change of heart?  Not unless we woke up in a lifetime movie this morning.  But they will realize that what they said is not sanctioned by the majority.  Many of them already knew what they said was wrong, since instead of defending it a number of them responded "oh no, I was hacked!!" Over time exposure to other people reinforcing that this is wrong might make some of them change their minds, but for the others it will make them shut up.  And the less racist bullshit flying around public spaces the better.  First, because it makes the environment safer and more welcoming for everyone and second, because the less there is the less normal it seems, weakening the chances that incoming members (the very young) will see the behavior and adopt it. 

As far as calling people's schools, I have no problem with them calling, but the school taking disciplinary action would probably not be appropriate in most cases.  There were some students who, as a condition of being on a team or something, had agreed to be a public representative of the school, and in that case they have violated that agreement.  Otherwise, if they are in public schools, I think freedom of speech does apply.  Calling their schools is, regardless of the disciplinary outcome, an excellent way to drive home the point to these students that if you publicly make statements, people can and will find out who you are and hold you accountable for them.  You shouldn't make statements your aren't prepared to stand by. The online environment won't improve as long as people think that they cannot or will not be held accountable for what they do and say.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #142 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:23 »

Not punishment per se, but public shaming is more than appropriate. 

I've been saying all along that this presidential race was about race.  Romney was a punch line until every other republican candidate imploded in the primaries.  There was so much "I don't really like him, but I'm voting for him anyway" in the GOP that it was clearly an "Anyone But Obama" campaign.  There was so much coded racist speech in the ads (well, the local ones that were not paid for by the campaigns) that it was disturbing to see/hear/read. 

Diversity training is worth it, even if it only reaches a fraction of these people.  Many of these kids won't shake these attitudes in their lifetime, though.  Then they'll raise their own children with the same bullshit.  Let's hope those children are reached with the message earlier than their fuckwit parents were.  Otherwise, the dream ends. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

« Reply #143 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:53 »

That's the thing.  You can grow up and know your parents are terrible racists, and not become one.  It is clearly possible, or how have we gotten here today?

My father told me a story when I was 13 or so, about when he lived in Georgia.  The line at the 'white' water fountain was pretty long, and there was no line at the 'colored' one.  His father looked at him and his brother and said "Why are you waiting in this line? Go use that one."  While other people in the line were horrified, my grandfather's point was that there is no reason the water fountains should be separate anyways, and if you are standing in the long line to not use the 'colored' one, then you are reinforcing that they should be separate.  What stuck me the most when I heard that story?

Oh my god... segregation was so recent that my father remembers it! 

Of course I had read about segregation in textbooks, and I knew the dates, but it seemed like so long ago... The footage was in black and white, everyone was dressed so old-fashioned... It wasn't until I realized that I was one generation from segregation that it really hit home how much change we have made in such a short time. 

My father remembers when black americans fought to attend the same schools at whites, and the first black president.  That is a lot of change in one generation, and it is the sort of change that make me hopeful.  If that many people could change their minds in one lifetime, then think of where we will be in one more. 

But that change will only take place if we are publicly holding people accountable for what they say, and declaring that we disagree. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #144 on: 15 Nov 2012, 09:18 »

Calling attention to them is one end of the spectrum, hate speech laws are another end of the spectrum, and forwarding their racist messages to someone with authority over them is in between.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #145 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:53 »

I don't think it's in between at all, since it's basically being concerned that the person who stood on the steps in a public place to declare his racist comment got tattled on.

This wasn't even a private Facebook feed, it was a public Twitter.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #146 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:55 »

That's the thing.  You can grow up and know your parents are terrible racists, and not become one.  It is clearly possible, or how have we gotten here today?

It's not about how far we've come or how things have changed since our parents were children, it's about how much farther we have to go. (And sometimes, kids don't realize that their parents are racist and then they act in the same way as their parents, not really knowing why what they're doing is wrong.) Yes, we have a Black president and this is an amazing thing, but only half the country seems to realize this. The other half keeps making racist comments. Yes, enforced segregation is over, but I wouldn't say segregation is gone. It's just not obvious. People are still separated because too many people still have that "us vs. them" mentality.

As for dealing with those students... If they were at a university, I would fully support the school kicking them out, but that is because universities are institutions that can choose whether or not they want to be affiliated with you. High schools, however, don't have that luxury unless they're private. Do those students deserve to be punished because of what they said? Yes. But in an educational way. Make them attend a seminar about diversity and racism. Make them do community service in predominantly non-white areas. Make them learn about why racism is wrong and how they should not spread hate.

Also maybe bash it into their skulls to make sure it sticks. :-P

Also also, if anything, this will teach those kids that they can be held accountable for what they say on the internet, which at the least will teach them to think before you type. It may not cure the racism, but it may teach them to shut up about it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #147 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:34 »

Hmmm.  I grew up in a horribly racist place, with a split of some horribly racist family members, and some not racist at all.  My mother and stepfather were two of the racist ones.

I myself, have never felt what I can only imagine they feel when looking at someone that they consider different from themselves.  I cannot fathom the thought processes they go through, though I know well enough that they were/are wrong.  In essence, I learned from their mistakes.

Not everyone does the same.  And many of those people believe it perfectly justifiable to voice their racist opinions whenever they feel like it, based on the idea of free speech.

I have something of an issue with this, especially considering that I am a veteran and one of the reasons that I joined the military in the first place was to ensure basic freedoms.  I have always felt that people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how wrong I might consider them to be.  That said, if see someone being blatantly racist, you can bet your ass that I'll be the one to call them on shit, publicly without so much as a thought.  There needs to be a way to make people realize that while they have the freedom of speech, a person should be responsible for their bullshit as well.

My blog

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #148 on: 15 Nov 2012, 14:33 »

There was an earlier story about a silly woman who'd posted on Facebook: "Another 4 years of this nigger. Maybe he will get assassinated this term." When interviewed, she seemed honestly puzzled about why this was a big deal. Like some of the posters in that list of Twitter feeds, she seemed to think you could go around calling a black man a nigger, and yet not be a racist. Her line is "It made me sound like a racist, but I'm not!".

I'm not sure that we can achieve much progress, when people simply redefine racist as "something hypothetically bad that I am not", and their apologists trot out excuses such as "You don't know that they're racist, they might just be ignorant!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #149 on: 15 Nov 2012, 14:50 »

My mind is blown by the suggestion that she can hope for Obama to be assassinated, but it's OK because she's not racist (even though she is) and it's "only" her opinion.  It's nearly my bedtime, but I doubt that sleeping on it will help.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up