Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DOTA 2  (Read 3272 times)

ackblom12

DOTA 2
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:39 »

So, I was just gifted DOTA 2 access and after trying to play 2 or 3 practice matches against bots, I have determined I am horrendous at this game. Any suggestions for how to get better?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: DOTA 2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:46 »

Play more? No, seriously. I don't play that genre of game much (rotten net connection and dodgy computer spec - though I should have a new one arriving in a week or two, yay!), but they are the sort of game that lets anyone play a bit, but there are quite a few meta-game things that you should know to be at all competitive.

Try looking at the wiki and/or forums and asking for tips.
If DOTA 2 doesn't have a rota system for characters, try picking a few characters and just playing those. If it does have a rota, pick a class/role/whatever and play them a lot.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:46 »

Go play against some really people. Their repeated recommendations of sucking tons of dicks and uninstalling the game will give you all you need to know about team cooperation.

No, but seriously, if you really want to get into it, pick a single character that you like, and play that one constantly. Look up an item purchase order online, and a strategy guide or two. Remember that not dying is more important than anything else. Don't kill yourself trying to save a tower - you'll die, and they'll take down the tower anyways. Don't kill yourself trying to destroy a tower, or a player. Those might be risks you can take when you know the game, but for now you'll be doing your team a bigger favor by feeding as little as possible. I'm no expert on the format, but I know that much. You will probably not be decent before you've put 40-50 hours into it.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:49 »

Funnily enough, the first response I got on G+ was "Stop playing. Uninstall. Feel happier."

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:28 »

It does take allot of time to master one character, and you have to play against quite a few others before you can start perfecting an overall strategy. Be warned that death happens. Allot. (Especially when you play against that a-hole Pudge... if the player knows what he's doing, at least.) As you get the hang of your character and playing against others, you will find that you die allot less and that your team will often become more supportive and helpful. I'm sort of at the halfway point of this transition... so no one tells me to uninstall the game or to stop sucking dick.  8-) Have you won a match yet?
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:24 »

DEATH HAPPENS ALOT
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:22 »

I try to avoid any game where one of the more helpful things they say, is to stop sucking so much...

But that's just me.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Mcpom

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2012, 18:18 »

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. To start off you need to choose what play-style suits you. Do you want to be melee or ranged? Do you want to be a lone wolf or a team member, do you want to play a support (easier but weaker late game) or a Carry (really weak early game but if you play well kills everything late game). But as a good starting point here are some heroes to try:
Melee:
Dragon Knight
Skeleton King
Juggernaut
(maybe Lycanthope or Spirit Breaker but they have more actives which is harder for noobs)

Ranged:
Viper
Crystal Maiden
Lich
Natures Prophet
Enchantress

P.S. Try not to feed (die) if you can avoid it, just play cautiously and never let your health drop too low or you will accrue all of the hate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up