THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another underutilized holiday...  (Read 3404 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Another underutilized holiday...
« on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:17 »

I nearly forgot - despite America's habit of moving holidays to the nearest convenient Monday, today is Veteran's day (aka Armistice Day). 

I'd like to thank all the vets out there, recent and not-so-recent, for their service. 

And remember, "armistice" means the end of fighting.  I like that word...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

Re: Another underutilized holiday...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:20 »

From little towns in a far land we came,
To save our honour and a world aflame,
By little towns in a far land we sleep;
And trust that world we won for you to keep.

Rudyard Kipling.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:45 »

Yes. It is Remembrance Day here in Australia, though many of the ceremonies were held yesterday on Sunday.

Australia lost many sons in the war that ended on 11th November 1918, and among those fields of stone that sprout all over northern France are gravestones inscribed with Chinese characters, only memorial to the largely forgotten thousands of men who served in the British and French labour battalions. Both my selves remember them all.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:46 »

And it's Saint Martin's day here in Germany which has nothing to do with any of that but with a guy who shared his cape with a homeless guy on a cold night.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:56 »

One of my favorite "saint's lives" stories, and wholly appropriate for the holiday. 

Akima, it's still Sunday on this side of the world.  And when I think of Australia and WWI, I always think of this; 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2012, 15:21 »

Because both Armistice Day and Rememberance Sunday were today, we had the morning communion service shifted so that it ended just before 11am. It was quite amazing to see the doors open and a stream of students come in silently to join the unusually-large congregation for the two minutes' silence. Then in the evening we sang Faure's Requiem liturgically and the names of the college's fallen were read. It takes more than ten minutes and it was very, very hard to sing the beautiful setting of For the Fallen immediately afterwards. My friend, who has perfect pitch and therefore was acting as a human tuning fork, took almost a minute before she was able to give us the note, because she was crying. I was holding it together until we reached a boy with my brother's first name and I realised that they would probably have been his age when they died.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012, 15:58 »

And it's Saint Martin's day here in Germany which has nothing to do with any of that but with a guy who shared his cape with a homeless guy on a cold night.
Same here, but in the Netherlands it is commemorated by kids going door-to-door carrying homemade lanterns and sing songs for candy. Our Veteran's day is in the end of June.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2012, 16:03 »

Today for Veterans day I posted the link to the 'Abu Ghraib torture and abuse' article on wikipedia because I don't like deifying soldiers.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Zingoleb

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2012, 16:14 »

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want it to turn political, so thanks for doing it for me, Jace.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Another underutilized holiday...
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2012, 16:25 »

Now is not an appropriate time for disagreements or arguments about this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up