Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

JEPH'S RETURN: The MOMENT of the WEEK!

Marigold was the last werewolf!
- 0 (0%)
Hacked Hair Emily! "You're Next!" GET AWAY
- 0 (0%)
You gotta unfair mechchaninincal 'vantage!
- 0 (0%)
Skinny dipping is kinda boring when it's just two people.
- 2 (4.3%)
Let's play a drinking game!
- 0 (0%)
Take a drink and say something nice about the person on your left.
- 1 (2.2%)
That's just group therapy with booze.
- 1 (2.2%)
This is gonna be GREAT! (I wanna trade seats with somebody.)
- 1 (2.2%)
Marten is a good person to work with.
- 0 (0%)
Faye's my (And he introduced me to so many nice people today!)
- 1 (2.2%)
And he showed me how to make a margarita... AND HE HAS FUNNY HAIR!
- 8 (17.4%)
I better move before she barfs on me. (I understand.)
- 1 (2.2%)
Even though he's a total jerk sometimes... (You smell.)
- 0 (0%)
The espresso machine makes a loud noise and I have to hide in the back room for a while!
- 7 (15.2%)
Angus puts up with my #### (And I have an amazing ####)
- 0 (0%)
I love you man! I love you! DUDE WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THIS
- 11 (23.9%)
We've lost Steve. Emily did that floppy boneless thing...
- 2 (4.3%)
You have nice friends. (You're one of them now!)
- 4 (8.7%)
I'm... "HEY ASSFARTS!"
- 5 (10.9%)
YER OCCUPYIN' PRIMO MAKE OUT REAL ESTATE! (Nice friends. Right.)
- 2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2318-2322 (12-16 November 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 50338 times)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

French version of Werewolf
French werewolves? That threw me for a loup.
Bad pun. 2 minutes in the penalty box!
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Now for the masked stranger to rise up out of the water and silently stalk everyone at the party, killing them in mildly gruesome ways, leaving Hanners as the final girl!
Hanners disagrees http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1104
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

She forgot there's a third option: both! She'd the first one to die then comes back from beyond the grave for vengeance! (and also to bathe in the blood of the vanquished, now that it can't actually touch her)
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Hmm, seems Indie-Boy tm should probably be careful, or he might end up with a headbutt to the groin and vomit on his lap....again.

You beat me to it! I was thinking of that when I saw the strip. Just can't find the strip to reference...

Gah, my archive-fu is very weak at this time of night.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Now for the masked stranger to rise up out of the water and silently stalk everyone at the party, killing them in mildly gruesome ways, leaving Hanners as the final girl!
Hanners disagrees http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1104

It's been a while, but isn't the initial victim the couple that sneaks off to engage in acts of physical intimacy?  Hanners isn't in danger there, and has a high probability of being the virtuous Final Girl - or the killer.

As for Emily, at least the gang isn't the type to break out the sharpies for some impromptu body art....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Hanners ... has a high probability of being the virtuous Final Girl - or the killer.

Or both. 

Gah, my archive-fu is very weak at this time of night.

I recommend jwhouk's QC strip by strip synopses - it's very searchable, and is also available in the QC wiki
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Emil is such a cute drunk...until the projectile vomiting starts happening of course.  Oh man, do I have experience with that.

Only with me being in Emily's position and the girl being in Marten's position.  Oh man did she get me into a bathroom on the double in the nick of time.

At any rate, I really dig Emily's new hair style.  Fits her perfectly.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 12:27 by Madmartigan »

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ]
At any rate, I really did Emily's new hair style.  Fits her perfectly.
With all the short-hair haters about in this forum, I would refrain from saying out loud that I was the one that did it.
... just a sugg', y'no?

@Comic:
She's either super nice to anyone when drunk or just to persons to her left or to Marten in particular... hhhmmmm...
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

She's either super nice to anyone when drunk or just to persons to her left or to Marten in particular... hhhmmmm...

I like the thought of someone who is always nice to people on their left and always mean to people on their right.  Not sure how they would regard people in front of or behind them... hmmmmmmmm...

Also when I first read this strip after I'd just woken up this morning I thought Marten was saying it was his turn to be barfed on.  Though that's happened to him twice and to Faye only once, but I'd forgotten about the second time it happened to Marten.  Taking turns being barfed on seems really freaking weird, but it totally made sense in my head at 5:15 in the morning.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Steve

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I haven't really been much for this strip ever since Marten and Dora split up, but I check back every now and again. 

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but I find it odd that a bunch of folks in their mid-to-late 20's (Marten has to be at least 25 by now, right?) would find it at all appropriate to go hang out and get hammered at one of their undergraduate interns' lake houses. But this is QC, so there probably won't be any real ramifications for any of them, other than Dora and Tai getting it on in a closet somewhere.

Took me a minute to realize Emily cut off her ponytail. The first time I looked at it, I thought she had some sort of giant weird bottle or something, so it was really distracting when I thought her hair changed for no reason, until I re-read the last few. It would have been funnier if Penelope were called out as "next," though (where'd she go, anyway?). 

Cheesasaurus

• Not quite a lurker

I haven't really been much for this strip ever since Marten and Dora split up, but I check back every now and again. 

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but I find it odd that a bunch of folks in their mid-to-late 20's (Marten has to be at least 25 by now, right?) would find it at all appropriate to go hang out and get hammered at one of their undergraduate interns' lake houses. But this is QC, so there probably won't be any real ramifications for any of them, other than Dora and Tai getting it on in a closet somewhere.

Took me a minute to realize Emily cut off her ponytail. The first time I looked at it, I thought she had some sort of giant weird bottle or something, so it was really distracting when I thought her hair changed for no reason, until I re-read the last few. It would have been funnier if Penelope were called out as "next," though (where'd she go, anyway?).

Actually, as far as I can remember they're all postgraduate students.

ObbyDent

I don't how that's a big deal. The normal Gang is only like years older than they are. If they're old enough to drink, they're old enough to hang out with other's who can drink.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

The rest of the gang's reaction to Marigold.    12 (24%) <== Honestly, I'm not sure we'll actually see this.

It'd be kind of weird if it did happen at this point. The swimming in the lake portion of the party seems to have ended long ago. It'd be really weird if Marigold put her bikini back on for some reason, and I can't imagine that Jeph would flash back to a couple of hours earlier in the day unless there is a very good plot-based reason to do so (I can't think of one).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky

No comment. 

...hang out and get hammered at one of their undergraduate interns' lake houses.

All the interns are graad students.  Emily is a Comp. Sci. grad student who just really likes the smell of old books. 

It would have been funnier if Penelope were called out as "next," though (where'd she go, anyway?).

I'm guessing she's closing up the coffee shop about now, and going home to see Wil before he goes off to work at the bar. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure Hanners is actually younger than the interns.  We know she's two years younger than Claire.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rose

• Not quite a lurker

"Faye's my--"
What do you think he was going to say?

Curious.

Also, I can't help but read all of Emily Azuma's lines in Kristen Schaal's voice in my head.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

...would find it at all appropriate to go hang out and get hammered at one of their undergraduate interns' lake houses...

Some quick notes:
1) The title of this comic is "Questionable Content" ... to expect that the characters would restrict themselves to "appropriate" behavior is to pretty much completely misunderstand the premise of the comic  :-D  That said...
2) As has been pointed out, the interns aren't undergrads. Also, I think Tai and Marten are staff, not faculty, a distinction which I think would color whether they as characters would worry about things being Appropriate or not.
3) If we insist on it making sense plot-wise, Tai's having blackmail material on the trustees would presumably still be in force. Its power will persist until Jeph decides it's funnier/more interesting for her not to have it.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

"Faye's my--"

...best friend? ...favorite roommate I ever had? ...go to person for when Pintsize needs a good thrashing? ...go to person for when I need a good thrashing?

Those are my guesses from most to least likely... I think.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure Tai's an undergrad, but that's never been stated either way in the comic.  She's probably twenty-one or so, though.  And yeah, probably "friend".  Or more accurately, "twoo fwiend".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

"Faye's my--"

Secret crush! Dora was right all along! Best friend.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

[ ... ]
At any rate, I really did Emily's new hair style.  Fits her perfectly.
With all the short-hair haters about in this forum, I would refrain from saying out loud that I was the one that did it.
... just a sugg', y'no?

@Comic:

Amazing what a typo of "dig" can turn into. :-o

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I'm pretty sure Tai's an undergrad, but that's never been stated either way in the comic.  She's probably twenty-one or so, though.  And yeah, probably "friend".  Or more accurately, "twoo fwiend".

Hanners is also pretty young, I'm pretty sure I remember the number twenty-two being mentioned at some point in the past. Cosette is another youngish one, being a Smif student last we knew.

All said and done, the interns are not the youngest people at the party.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Karaoke night was Hanners' birthday – she was 22: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1069

Tai is trickier.  Her youth is often referred to, but never enumerated.  Having said that,  she's a TA, but speaks of her liberal arts degree in the future tense.  Those of you familiar with American colleges can probably use that to pin her down, huh?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

She could be on the "extended service" program at Smif - been there long enough to graduate, but never actually doing it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

If I had to guess I'd say Tai's a junior - could also be a senior but we haven't really heard her talking about impending graduation so I'm guessing not.  I had a couple geology TA's who were juniors.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She could be in a joint BA/MLIS program, which would probably take five or six years. When we first met her she was probably in her third year or so.  Either way, she's almost certainly an undergrad in her early twenties.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

She could be in a joint BA/MLIS program, which would probably take five or six years. When we first met her she was probably in her third year or so.  Either way, she's almost certainly an undergrad in her early twenties.

Agreed.  Could just be a super senior as well.  5 year track to pick up something else or just took a smaller than normal number of credits each semester.

I'm guessing she's about Hanners age.  22. 

And also.  Really?  Where has Dora disappeared to?  Granted, Angus seems to have disappeared too.  At any rate, the party, with Emily now royally drunk off her butt and passed out, seems to be winding down.  Unless its a weekend party.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Tai is trickier.  Her youth is often referred to, but never enumerated.  Having said that,  she's a TA, but speaks of her liberal arts degree in the future tense.  Those of you familiar with American colleges can probably use that to pin her down, huh?
Tai's youth isn't referred to, so much as her size. That reference to her degree is very dubious evidence. She could just as easily be referring to the usefulness in her future life of a liberal arts degree she has already been awarded, or to a Master's she's working on following a Bachelor's in something else. I am not familiar with how colleges in the USA work, but I would be very surprised of they're employing an undergraduate to teach, run their library, hire staff (Marten), and supervise interns.[/i] I'm pretty sure an Australian uni would not do so. I'm thinking mid-twenties at least.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I thought he did a QA dump a while back where he spells out their ages, at least the core cast...

Edit: it was a one-off question before he stated doing them in dumps... Tai isn't mentioned: http://jephjacques.com/post/4421460529/hi-jeph-short-time-reader-of-your-awesomly-winburger
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 17:24 by FunkyTuba »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I believe the original invitation said something about an overnight. (Saturday night into Sunday morning.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

TheEvilDog

According to this one, Claire is 24, Clinton is 21, so I presume that Emily and Gabby are the same age as Claire. 

And yes, the party is an overnight one, Saturday night to Sunday morning here....though I'm suspecting that Emily is going to wish that Monday comes quickly.

And Riccostar ninja'd me for that second one.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Apologies, much credit for the ages though.  If it helps at all I just accidentally swallowed two ice cubes whole and got my first ever "esophagus freeze"  :meh:
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Where did the drink in Emily's hand go between frames 3 and 4?

...On someone's head?
Worry Hat, Engage!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

She drunk it

It's why she passed out
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

kirtlandwarbler

• Not quite a lurker

Tai's early discussions of her romantic entanglements refer to "drama on [her] dorm floor" (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=726).

Though some colleges do have a designated dorm for grad students (hell, I live in one right now), they tend to feel more like silent study-bubbles than the kind of place where you'd find that sort of drama.  Given the previously referenced future-tense degree, it seems far more likely that she's referring to an undergrad dorm, thus further implying that she's probably in her early 20s.  And it's becoming more common for undergrads to have TA-variety positions at schools, so that in of itself doesn't make it implausible.  Jus'sayin'.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Tai's early discussions of her romantic entanglements refer to "drama on [her] dorm floor" (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=726).

Though some colleges do have a designated dorm for grad students (hell, I live in one right now), they tend to feel more like silent study-bubbles than the kind of place where you'd find that sort of drama.  Given the previously referenced future-tense degree, it seems far more likely that she's referring to an undergrad dorm, thus further implying that she's probably in her early 20s.  And it's becoming more common for undergrads to have TA-variety positions at schools, so that in of itself doesn't make it implausible.  Jus'sayin'.
Just from experience... if any of you ever end up at the University of Oklahoma, and they tell you that they have a "graduate student only" building in their on-campus apartments, do not believe them. It is all lies. My roommate and I are literally the only graduate students in this building. Everyone else is an undergrad who likes to party very loudly every night. On the other hand, I learned that they recently stopped advertising the apartments as a "graduate student community." Found out when a visiting professor made fun of their website for referring to it as an "upperclass community," not realizing it means juniors/seniors, not upper-class/rich people.

(Sorry, I suppose this should go in the vitriol thread in the Chatter board, but it's a little bit relevant to kirtlandwarbler's comment)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He just mentioned that Marten and Faye were "around 25". I think Marten was 24 when he started dating Dora, since Dora was 26 and was older but not considerably so.  Which is funny, now that I'm thinking about it, because when I was 24 I dated a 26 year old for pretty much the whole year of being 24.  It ended better than Marten/Dora.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Am I like the only person wishing to see Emily vomit on someone for shits and giggles?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

On Marten, for tradition, or on someone else, for variety?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

On Marten, for tradition, or on someone else, for variety?

I dunno, it could be random instead of an active brick joke.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est

Jeph seems to be in a nostalgic mood. A lot of throwbacks to the past in these recent strips.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Angus has a weirdly feminine wrist.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Aww.. everyone love Marten :)

Good for him!

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

This was a really cute strip. :3 I also find the cross-eyed picture of Emily in the background of the last panel to be incredibly endearing. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Hifive!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I used to go on a music course and hang out with the "staff" of the course - the tutors and pastoral staff, who were in loco parentis for those of us under 18. I'd grown up with them as friends so it wasn't at all considered odd for me to be 14 and sitting around with my 25 year old friends playing a drinking game (I wasn't drinking though, the line would have been drawn before that point).

I don't think it's inappropriate at all, really. The only way it could be would be if Tao were to have a relationship with one of the interns. Certainly at my uni it's not all that odd to go out for a drink with your supervisor or go round to a lecturer's house for dinner.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up