THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeph hates long hair?!  (Read 17692 times)

citrusfee

Jeph hates long hair?!
« on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:04 »

So Emily cut off her hair! Nooooo! This makes me sad somehow, because I've recognized a pattern of QC girls getting their hair shortened not long after they are introduced.

Off the top of my head, here are a couple of the girls who started out with longer hair, but have short/er hair now:
Hannelore (it used to be sooo long)
Raven (she used to have a pony tail!)
Sven (I know he's not a girl, but his hair was definitely longer once...)
Faye (this one might be due to a change in drawing style, to be fair)
And now Emily :'(

Why Jeph, whyyy?! I bet Marigold is next. It's only a matter of time, mark my words...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
Re: Jeph hates long hair?!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:11 »

PREDICTION: Emily shaves Claire's head down to a cue ball. Faye helps.

Well, at least Gabby's hair poufed out. The humidity, you know.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:38 »

I doubt Jeph has anything against long hair, women just change their hairstyle, sometimes its thought out, sometimes its on a whim and in the case of Emily, its alcohol fuelled. For some their hair is a means of expression and artistry and for some it can mean so much more for them, its an expression of who they are. At least, thats what some of my female friends might say.

In the case of guys, I've had the (roughly) same hairstyle for 10 years. I'm sure a lot of the guys on here will say the same (and I'm sure some will say they haven't had a haircut in a long time).

I'd say for Jeph changing their hairstyle is just a way to keep the characters interesting, because he is the one who draws them every day.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:47 »

I reckon that there will at least be a mention of semi-metabolised-alcohol-fueled regret in the next comic or two, at least if the party ends (I hope it doesn't).

EDIT: On the subject of hair, Faye, Marten and Hannelore's hairstyles all look more similar than usual in this comic. [/random observation]
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2012, 13:40 »

The thing is… the thing is, that you just can't cut hair on, can you? Only off.
I don't think that Jeph hates long hair exactly, he just likes the laws of physics more… 
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2012, 14:16 »

In the case of guys, I've had the (roughly) same hairstyle for 10 years. I'm sure a lot of the guys on here will say the same (and I'm sure some will say they haven't had a haircut in a long time).
My hair has been just about exactly the same for the last decade as well.  My girlfriend recently (against my will) cut her hair short.  She said a lot of what fueled her decision was the upkeep needed to take care of long hair as well as the benefits short hair apparently has for your hair thickness. 
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2012, 15:18 »

Both for me. 

After all, you don't bother pruning a dead tree...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2012, 15:35 »

I was also going to make the point that it takes about five minutes to cut your hair short, and many many many months to grow it back. I've been growing out my fringe since April and it's still not quite long enough to tuck behind my ears.

I've noticed that hairstyles do sort of go in waves amongst groups. Not so much fashion as just people getting bored of their hair and changing it in similar ways. Several people cut their hair short over the course of a few months, or get fringes, or decide to get rid of fringes, etc.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 05:48 »

Jeph did promise not to cut off Penelope's hair at some point, I think. I also don't think he has something against long hair but he definitely has a preference for short hair. I was kinda sad Emily cut her hair but the bob thing does look nice.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:28 »

Someone could get a long wig.

Steve with long hair?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:30 »

It's also possible it's easier to draw shorter hair (less coloring to fill, etc.).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:25 »

Not to mention hair physics.  It's hard enough getting the drape of most clothing right, let alone the way hair hangs.  Or frizzes, or stands up, or...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:40 »

perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2012, 13:40 »

Same hairstyle for the last 27 years - 0 back and sides, no.3 on top.  All that changes is the amount of grey (all natural baby, can't get THIS colour from a bottle). 

On the other hand I need to get it done every two weeks for my own comfort.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:36 »

And I haven't had my hair cut since April - although I do snip off split ends if I spot them when I have scissors to hand.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2012, 17:04 »

I get haircuts biannually, once in mid June and once late December.  It's often interesting to watch the growth of my hair in between trimmings.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2012, 19:00 »

Sounds like fodder for one of those time-lapse movies...

I know a guy in college who got his hair cut once a year, at easter.  He shaved it all of, then let it grow.  It was short through the summer, getting longer in the fall, and was quite long in the winter.  Then off it all went again in the spring...

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2012, 21:56 »

It's been almost two years since my last haircut. I really need to get one because I've got long hair with lots of split ends. I usually only get it cut back to shoulder length and let it grow down to my shoulder blade before cutting it back. I also don't really shave but I do run a trimmer across the face once a month or so (with a #4 trim guide) with more frequent shortening around the lips. Only in the last couple years have grays started peppering the chin and only a few here and there on the head.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2012, 21:00 »

I have to get mine cut about every four weeks, because it just grows too quickly and as such gets way too messy after that.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2012, 21:31 »

Keep in mind Emily was tanked when she cut her hair.  Some people do crazy things when they're drunk, like waking up one morning after drinking with a tattoo they didn't know they had before.  Maybe she wakes up and freaks out over cutting her hair.

No, I am not speaking from experience.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2012, 21:37 »

Keep in mind Emily was tanked when she cut her hair.  Some people do crazy things when they're drunk, like waking up one morning after drinking with a tattoo they didn't know they had before.  Maybe she wakes up and freaks out over cutting her hair.

No, I am not speaking from experience.

I must believe you aren't speaking from experience. As most tattoo artists refuse to tattoo those whose BAC is above the norm.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2012, 22:57 »

Hair cutting can be highly symbolic in some cultures.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #22 on: 18 Nov 2012, 23:09 »

Ask Shelly Wahnee.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2012, 04:34 »

omg emily is running away to join the army

or maybe she was banished from northampton after she killed a hipster god

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2012, 05:48 »

I wonder what "relaxed boneless" Emily looks like. Just incredibly relaxed, or is it more of a "Persistence of Memory" pocket watch thing?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:13 »

Something like this? 

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2012, 23:20 »

I'm just jealous of Emily's ability to cut her own hair so well while drunk.  I would want that to be my superpower.  Drunken yet stylish haircuts forever!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2012, 00:31 »

Something like this? 

Four ballerinas walk into a barre ...

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2012, 02:52 »

Everyone else says "ow!" 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:59 »

Hahaha that is a wonderful picture!

I think the next time I get my hair cut will be quite an important occasion for me - I might get it trimmed very slightly (I'd have to go to a hairdresser who I knew I could trust to genuinely take no more than 5cm off the end) but at the moment growing it long is kind of my thing. Off the top of my head I can think of several cultures and religions where hair-cutting is symbolic: Amish men, Sikh men, certain Christian groups' women, Buddhist monks and nuns, Catholic nuns... I have often noted the interesting fact that most years, at least one person at my women's college shaves their head. For different reasons each time, but the trend suggests that it is a significant thing to do, particularly in an all-female environment. Probably the most famous one to do so was Emma Thompson, who shaved her head just after she matriculated here.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:06 »

Hasidic Jews, but that's particular hairs (the Peyot, the sideburn curls) and the beard.  The rest can be cut at will.  And married orthodox Jewish women should keep their hair covered; some wear veils, snoods or hats, but older generations would shave their real hair and wear wigs instead. 

This included my mom's mother, who I never saw without one of her blond wigs. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:42 »

How interesting - and how consistent with my understanding of the way orthodox Jews often deal with the more restrictive rules; like the ways that the prohibition on working on the Sabbath has been interpreted and dealt with. A Jewish storyteller I knew once told a story of what she called classic Jewish thinking: she had told her son not to eat any more of the sweets from a packet he had, and gone out of the room. When she returned he was in the process of putting another sweet in his mouth, and she told him off for disobeying. He retorted "I wasn't eating it! I was washing it in my mouth!".

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!
« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2012, 18:37 »

I was also going to make the point that it takes about five minutes to cut your hair short, and many many many months to grow it back. I've been growing out my fringe since April and it's still not quite long enough to tuck behind my ears.

And the five-minute change is a lot more fun for an artist--"Woo!  Character x has a new look!"  Deciding to have character x grow her hair out, having to remember to lengthen it incrementally for several QC-time months (maybe years in non-QC time) and keep track of where you are in the process, would just be tedious.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:35 »

Didn't he make Dora's hair longer during one of the time skips?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:48 »

There was also the period when Dora was growing out her dyed hair.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2012, 17:27 »

Off the top of my head I can think of several cultures and religions where hair-cutting is symbolic: Amish men, Sikh men, certain Christian groups' women, Buddhist monks and nuns, Catholic nuns...
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any culture in which hair-cutting is *not* symbolic. If nothing else, there are typically hairstyles symbolic of social stratification by gender, age and class.

The Manchu conquerors of China imposed in 1645 their "Queue Order" essentially making it treason, and a death-penalty offense, for Chinese men to wear their hair in any way other than the shaved-forehead-and-pigtail Manchu style. This was a deliberate act of domination and assault on Chinese cultural identity, which required ten years and the slaughter of tens of thousands to enforce. It was also a direct attack on the central Confucian value of filial piety, under which cutting your hair at all was regarded as unfilial. As Confucius put it: "Body, skin, and hair we receive from our parents, and we dare not damage them. This is the beginning of filial duty."* Rebels against Manchu rule frequently symbolically abandoned the hated hairstyle. After the fall on the Qing Dynasty in 1912, Chinese men cut off their queues, and adopted short Western-style haircuts practically overnight.

Haircuts are serious business.  :-o

*This idea still underlies a lot of negative Chinese attitudes to tattooing and other body mods, incidentally.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #36 on: 08 Jan 2013, 15:20 »

I sure hope not. I much prefer longer hair in general. Boo, buzzcuts!  :-D

Rebels against Manchu rule frequently symbolically abandoned the hated hairstyle. After the fall on the Qing Dynasty in 1912, Chinese men cut off their queues, and adopted short Western-style haircuts practically overnight.

Haircuts are serious business.  :-o

I remember a bit from a documentary on their fall where the rebels would occasionally take over regions and forcibly cut everyone's hair. That would make all the men in the region appear as "Rebels", undermining central authority and basically either making them execute everyone as traitors, which they weren't, or concede the point to the rebels (which was humiliating).
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 08 Jan 2013, 19:16 »

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #38 on: 09 Jan 2013, 06:22 »

Hello and thank you, old person!  :wink:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!
Pages: [1]   Go Up