THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto V  (Read 67804 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Re: Grand Theft Auto V
« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2013, 02:51 »

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #51 on: 14 Sep 2013, 07:52 »

Seems like the game has broken the street date in quite a few places. I've seen pictures of people with their copies from amazon.co.uk already, pictures of shops in Spain just outright selling it, and there's a fair few videos up of actual gameplay.

Think I'm going to hit a midnight release for it, just like I did for San Andreas when I was a littler.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 14 Sep 2013, 16:16 »

Damn it, I wish my PS3 didn't break. What's funny is I have a working 360, but that's back in Jersey so it's useless here.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #53 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:43 »

Reviews have started being posted today. Here's Destructoid's. Spoilers, obviously.

Review: Grand Theft Auto V

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #54 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:51 »

Why is it obvious? Wouldn't a good reviewer not spoil what they review?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 16 Sep 2013, 13:21 »

In the sense that they shouldn't spell out the entire plot and scenarios involved, sure. But they're inevitably going to be talking about the characterizations, mission structure, giving examples of relationships and such. About the only game I can think of that managed to have totally spoiler free reviews was Gone Home, and that was largely because telling anything whatsoever about the game's story would ruin the impact.

Essentially, I'm using a fairly broad definition of the term spoiler.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #56 on: 16 Sep 2013, 13:24 »

Gotcha. So they don't spoil anything major?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #57 on: 16 Sep 2013, 13:28 »

Nope, nothing I'd be concerned about unless you're actively trying to avoid news concerning the game.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #58 on: 16 Sep 2013, 15:45 »

Just saw a PS3/GTA V bundle on Amazon for $270. My PS3 no longer works and is in New Jersey, so I'm...somewhat tempted. And honestly, I would have less of a reason to get the PS4. Yay or nay, guys? From what I've heard, fixing the old one would be really expensive (cheaper than getting a new one, but not THAT much cheaper). This one has a 500 gig hard drive as opposed to my old one's 80, but it's not backwards compatible (although honestly, I hadn't put a PS2 or PS1 game in that thing in almost five years).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #59 on: 16 Sep 2013, 16:05 »

The PS3 still has a few years of life left in it, so I don't think I would call it a bad idea at all. You can let us early adopters beta test the PS4 for ya.

As long as you think your grades will survive.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #60 on: 16 Sep 2013, 16:09 »

Yeah, I should probably hold off until the end of the semester, and that's when the PS4 comes out anyway.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #61 on: 16 Sep 2013, 18:30 »

I was thinking about grabbing that bundle as well. I was going to buy a new dslr camera, but might spring for this and a bunch of games instead. It would still be cheaper, actually, and in terms of number of hours I would use it a lot more. Decisions decisions.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ackblom12

« Reply #62 on: 16 Sep 2013, 18:31 »

And the woman who did the review for GameSpot, who gave GTAV a 9/10 by the way, is getting put through the social media blender for calling out the sexism in the game.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #63 on: 16 Sep 2013, 20:58 »

Just read the review, she barely mentions it :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #64 on: 16 Sep 2013, 21:13 »

Yup.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2013, 21:47 »

Awww yeaaaaaaa boooiiieeeee are you ready for some muthafuckin' HATRED FOR HUMANITY up in this?

Ahem. Sorry. In celebration of this thing that *absolutely none of us* saw coming from a mile away, I decided to go check 4chan's Video Game board!

Three posts in and I just hate all things. All the things. Goddamnit.

I forgot how uh........how especially disappointing that board has gotten over the last years. Guess I'll keep sticking to /tg/
(click to show/hide)
. They've got their fair share of problems, but...Christ, the blatant sexism isn't nearly this bad usually.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2013, 22:17 »

I don't get it, why is that a spoiler? What is /d/?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #67 on: 17 Sep 2013, 01:47 »

I decided to go check 4chan's

Bad idea. Baaad idea. For your own sanity, don't do that.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #68 on: 17 Sep 2013, 05:53 »

Don't worry it, Method. It's mostly a joke to spoiler it. I'll tell you about it later.

Snalin: I know right? It's a cesspit, but it's one I usually feel like I vaguely know. But Jesus they surprised me last night. I guess I usually hang out in the slightly less awful spots of it.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #69 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:07 »

So I was watching a walkthrough, and the guy was walking towards a sportscar
and my head went "OH MY GOD IS THAT A BENEFACTOR, GET IT RIGHT NOW"

is it weird that I know that a car belongs to a fictional car company just by its looks?

Needless to say, it's a testament to GTA Vs awesome car design

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #70 on: 18 Sep 2013, 22:17 »

Where do Banshees spawn? I've been driving around for about three hours now and I haven't seen one.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #71 on: 19 Sep 2013, 05:19 »

Was at a Walmart yesterday and had to stop myself from dropping $270 on the PS3/GTA V combo. No, Eric, you have more important things to buy...like the PS4 in two months. Also food.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #72 on: 19 Sep 2013, 06:34 »

ugh, don't get me started. I've got a trip to the folks, the power bill, and keeping up a semblance of life to go with wanting to save for the ps4. And all that on unemployment.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #73 on: 19 Sep 2013, 10:34 »

Queued for three hours to get it at a midnight launch, have had to work every day since release. Am 31% through, haven't murdered anyone in real life yet.

The driving took me a few hours to get used to, but now I am weaving in and out of traffic at top speed in a very satisfying manner. I am pretty terrible at shooting though, so I guess when Online launches I'll be taking the role of getaway driver in a gang.

Also if you're unarmed and hold down LB/L1 whilst driving you 'flip the bird' at drivers in the direction your camera is oriented. Can cause NPC's to try and kick the shit out of you.

Alllllso the characters are good fun and the switching mechanic adds to the longevity of playing sessions. In IV I would just turn the game off when I'd had my fill of playing as Niko, now when I get bored I'll switch character to see what the others are up to and usually get caught up in whatever madness they're in.

It's a good game, especially considering it's playing on a 360. I'm just hyped to see what it looks like on PC/next gen.

I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #74 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:56 »

Next gen version not until 2014. God damn it :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #75 on: 20 Sep 2013, 17:08 »

This is a pretty damn depressing opinion piece about the state of Grand Theft Auto.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200648/Opinion_The_tragedy_of_Grand_Theft_Auto_V.php

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #76 on: 20 Sep 2013, 17:39 »

The PS3 still has a few years of life left in it, so I don't think I would call it a bad idea at all. You can let us early adopters beta test the PS4 for ya.
Ended up taking you up on this. Just got back from Target where I got the PS3, then went to Amazon and canceled my PS4 order. Honestly, the only thing I really care about in the near future are GTA V and Watch Dogs (which is also available for PS3). Not to mention the PS3 games I have back in Jersey (I won't be able to play them until I bring them up after Thanksgiving, but the point is I'll be able to play them again now. Also I have a working Bluray player).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #77 on: 21 Sep 2013, 07:29 »

This review http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10598-Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Review-People-Suck and editorial by the same author left me uninterested in playing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #78 on: 21 Sep 2013, 23:40 »

So, the game has decided that when I park a car in my garage that I spent $50 grand customizing and upgrading, I didn't really want to hang on to it, and just erases it off the face of the earth. So Franklin's broke, now. But that's not my biggest problem with the game. I'm about halfway through at this point. Spoilers(?) ahead.

(click to show/hide)

Also, there's a mission where the game forces you to do yoga for a good 20 minutes with your analog sticks. kill me

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #79 on: 22 Sep 2013, 08:39 »

This review http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10598-Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Review-People-Suck and editorial by the same author left me uninterested in playing.

That review specifically points out Vice City's protagonist as not being as evil as this game's protagonists are, but Michael and Franklin are definitely no more evil than Tony Montana/Tommy Vercetti, at least as far as I've made it.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #80 on: 23 Sep 2013, 01:02 »

amazon.co.uk lists the game for roughly 42£, but they are out of stock. Since this is considerably cheaper than any location in Germany, I'm wondering if the price is similar in on-site retail locations over there. And if so, if any of you British forumites would be willing to buy and send the game to me. I'll obviously pay for everything, including shipping.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #81 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:17 »

What's stopping you from ordering it yourself?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:23 »

I don't have a credit card so amazon.co.uk doesn't offer a payment method I can use.

Anyways, I found it here for 59.99€. Ordering from britain would cost me about 57€ (until now the cheapest I found in Germany was 65€), so I'm off to buy it now. The reduced wait is worth the extra 3€.
Much thanks to Paul, for offering to order it for me, even though I don't need to take you up on it. :)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #83 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:47 »

€60. :psyduck: I haven't paid that much for a single game in five years.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 23 Sep 2013, 06:12 »

Me neither. I'll probably play through it once or twice and then sell it again, for 40-50€. But I just had to get it. :-D

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #85 on: 24 Sep 2013, 17:20 »

GTAV Mythbusters. Confirming or busting rumours about what's doable in the GTA world.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #86 on: 25 Sep 2013, 08:31 »

I especially loved the backfire one

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #87 on: 26 Sep 2013, 13:00 »

So, apparently, there's  GTA online as well? 

"Nearly anything you can do in GTA V is available in GTA Online, including heists, missions, robberies, assaulting gang hideouts, hijacking armored vehicles, races, and the litany of extracurricular activities like tennis, golf, and base jumping. In all, Benzies says the game features more than 500 missions. You can perform many of these on your own, team up with friends for more complicated missions, or challenge all comers to a friendly race or deathmatch."

AND...

"How is user-created content being surfaced for other players? Will Rockstar curate its favorite fan-created material?
Yes. We'll be continually playing the content and stamping the quality missions with 'Rockstar Verified.' The people creating the missions will be ranked, and eventually you'll get to know who is creating the best content and you can start to follow them and grab their works.

How do you eventually see content creation evolving?
We eventually want players to be able to create missions as complex as the ones found in our single-player games. We want to give the player the power to make anything their brains can come up with. At some point in the future, we'd like people to be able to make their stories with all the tools we have available to make ours."

Wait, wait, wait...  Creation tools for consoles?  Holy fuck yes.  Modding is coming to my console.  Yeah, I'll be picking up GTAV this weekend.  And the online part as soon as it's available.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #88 on: 26 Sep 2013, 13:09 »

GTA Online launches on Tuesday. GTAV, as the box declares, "Features GTA Online".

Pretty excited and I doubt I'm even halfway through the single player experience.

ackblom12

« Reply #89 on: 26 Sep 2013, 13:10 »

Well, content creation has been coming to consoles for a few years now with titles like Little Big Planet and others. GTA Online certainly seems to be on the much larger scale of things certainly.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #90 on: 26 Sep 2013, 14:49 »

Is PS Plus required for GTA Online? It's one of the reasons I ended up just getting a new PS3 instead of going for the PS4, not wanting to pay for PS Plus.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #91 on: 26 Sep 2013, 14:51 »

Not unless they've changed it for the PS3. No Plus required for online period. When the PS4 comes around they'll start requiring it for the PS4, but no idea if that will change for PS3 as well.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #92 on: 06 Oct 2013, 16:32 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #93 on: 07 Oct 2013, 07:39 »

Um, that's like the stock market in real life. If you're an average joe, you can't cheat it. If it was easy to exploit in-game in the way you attempted, it would essentially be a built-in cheat.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #94 on: 07 Oct 2013, 08:23 »

Yep, my entire weekend is gone, and I don't care.  At all.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #95 on: 07 Oct 2013, 09:54 »

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #96 on: 07 Oct 2013, 09:59 »

Is that the iCEnhancer mod for GTAIV? I have that on my Steam version and it pretty much blows up my PC every time I try to run it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #97 on: 07 Oct 2013, 10:00 »

No, apparently this is simple ENB.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #98 on: 07 Oct 2013, 10:43 »

Um, that's like the stock market in real life. If you're an average joe, you can't cheat it. If it was easy to exploit in-game in the way you attempted, it would essentially be a built-in cheat.
But it IS a built-in cheat, you get a tip, you buy a stock, you kill the relevant person and the stock goes up by a significant amount. It worked a few times and now is it not only not working, I can't even access the stocks to sell them at ANY price.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #99 on: 09 Oct 2013, 23:18 »

The Most Expensive Video Games in History

I would like to point out that GTAV cost $266 million to make.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up