THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ads on the forum  (Read 5039 times)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
Ads on the forum
« on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:45 »

Has there ever been discussion of inviting/asking/telling Jeph to put ads on this forum? I mean, it is his forum...

I'd happily wade through some impressions to help defray the cost of being here.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: Ads on the forum
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2012, 20:39 »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

FOUL!!!!!!

20 minutes in the Penalty Box
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2012, 21:49 »

I expect that the bandwidth used by the forum is small compared with that used by the comic (which is on the same server); it makes sense for the adverts that he runs to be in the place that gets most traffic.  Not a single one of the seven forums I read regularly carries ads (there was one, but I dropped it), so it would feel like a big change for me.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 21:55 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:37 »

I'd agree - the ads on the comic are probably the profitable place. If you'd like to contribute, you could buy some merchandise! I have my eye on a couple of things myself, especially since my old CoD t-shirt has vanished.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2012, 09:16 »

I've bought merchandise (both books personalized, paid over at bandcamp for all deathmole albums, given QC merch as xmas gifts, etc), but was trying to think of a way this forum could pay for the trouble and bandwidth.

I guess if Jeph though it would have been useful to do this he already would have. He already has to police the ads on the comic site, so this would probably add a burden of its own.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2012, 21:36 »

While perusing the intertubes earlier I had an idea that could help Jeph out a little bit.  Often times the advert companies pay not just to host their ads on a site but also pay for the number of times visitors to the site click on the ads.  I'm not exactly sure what the money arrangement was for the ads but we could probably help out Jeph a little if we just clicked on an ad every few visits or so.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2012, 02:09 »

Buying one thing from the store would very likely get him more than the number of ad clicks you could bear to do; but if that's what you want, fine.  I suspect the ad companies don't pay for placement at all, but only for clicks - but what would I know?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2012, 21:15 »

As I understand, Project Wonderful pays by time rather than by clicks.

cam94509

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2012, 14:38 »

While perusing the intertubes earlier I had an idea that could help Jeph out a little bit.  Often times the advert companies pay not just to host their ads on a site but also pay for the number of times visitors to the site click on the ads.  I'm not exactly sure what the money arrangement was for the ads but we could probably help out Jeph a little if we just clicked on an ad every few visits or so.

No. Never, ever, ever, ever click ads in this manner. While project wonderful doesn't pay based on clicks, so you are fine, if you do this with Google Adsense (or any other CPC (cost per click), I just talk about Adsense because I know a thing or two about it) ads, you could literally lose the person whose ads you are click on the ability to use Google Adsense if they don't notice their CTR (click-through-rate) being absurdly high, and even if they do, they pretty much have to remove the ads until the problem goes away. It's O.K to click on an ad to figure out where it goes or because you are legitimately interested, but don't click ads just to get the person whose site is hosting those ads extra money. You could well be doing more harm than good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up