THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Thread About Selling Art  (Read 6467 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
A Thread About Selling Art
« on: 04 Oct 2012, 06:11 »

So, I did a search and could not locate anything similar to this- if something exists, please merge?

I'd love to hear thoughts on selling your own personal artwork- have you ever sold anything? Do you do it regularly? What was it like to sell your first piece? While I'm more interested in "one of a kind" works -paintings, sculptures and the like-  it would still be interesting to hear from those who have sold works that are easily reproduced (digital art, photography, etc).

I'm thinking of putting my work in a multi-artist exhibit and they ask selling price (if the pieces are for sale). I'm sure I could figure out price fairly easily- (hours spent x hourly "rate") + cost of materials. However......my biggest hurdle is parting with my work. I've been asked multiple times to sell, but I've only given in once -a woodblock print that I could have reproduced fairly easily anyway- to my boyfriend, when we were together for just a few months (but now he's my fiance, so the work is still in my home anyway lol). Am I just super attached to the emotional aspects of the creative process to the point where I feel uncomfortable letting go? Am I self absorbed because I prefer to have my own work surrounding me as opposed to the art of others? Or am I just a hoarder?

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: A Thread About Selling Art
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2012, 08:28 »

I have a friend who described selling her first piece of art as akin to selling one of her children.  She managed to keep it together while the deal was being done (it was at a local art show) but then locked herself in a room and cried. 

Now, of course, she sells stuff all the time without any pangs of grief. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2012, 05:08 »

I sold stuff before. Usually at cost, sometimes at a little more. I have had no problems parting with anything. Once an idea or a commission is done it's done and gone from my head. Sometimes I run into something at people's places and I never experience pangs of regret. I do experience pangs of what-the-fuck-was-I-thinking-I-could-do-WAY-better-now.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:12 »

Resurrecting because I find this topic interesting!

I've actually only ever traded my own work before. (Basically swapping art after a studio class is over and whatnot.) I've also gifted art to friends, but I've never actually tried selling before and I really want to. I'm just so worried what I have won't sell. :-( I really want to try making enough to enter a local craft show, but the problem is, booths are usually limited to one kind of item and I don't know if I'd want to do prints (woodblocks, silk screens), knit goods, sewn things...what.

Has anyone sold on Etsy before?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:09 »

Never used Etsy I'm afraid.

I've drawn some stuff for people but never for money. Although one friend did buy me lunch as a thanks for a drawing. I work in digital mediums usually, for drawing and photography so I don't think there'll be pangs since I still have a copy. In the case of drawings, the original sketch and work files too.
I've half tried to sell my photography before but it's very hard in my town unless you know the right people. A place that would have let me display my photography closed before I had a chance.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2012, 09:31 »

Sold something. 375 e.

never look back.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up