THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacation wish-list  (Read 3937 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Vacation wish-list
« on: 18 Nov 2012, 05:42 »

I've discovered that I might be able to travel once or twice a year for the rest of my active life. Though this thought pleases me greatly I am totally at a loss as to where I should go.

So, you guys've been around the world... what've been your favourite places to visit?

What places are on your wish-lists?

Which places were the cosiest? Which had the best food? Which were the most honeymooney? :o any and all help appreciated
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Vacation wish-list
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2012, 06:20 »

Tell me more about this might be able to travel - can you go anywhere at all, cost no issue, for what length of time?

I loved Paris. I know it's a cliche, but I just thought it was a wonderful place. Perhaps more to live there than to visit - but if you're there for a while I guess it's not too dissimilar. I want to visit somewhere really different from the places I'm used to - rural Japan, for example, or perhaps an Indian city.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2012, 06:48 »

I'm partial to Amsterdam, London, Kopenhagen, Berlin, Paris, Rome.

Start with those, get back to me after.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2012, 07:01 »

Haven't been to any but London. Someone let me know if a meetup's planned.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2012, 07:36 »

The only place outside of the US I've been is Toronto. I liked it, but I don't know if I'd visit it again. Inside the US, I really like NYC, Chicago, and Boston and I've been to all three at least twice and still would like to visit each again. Southern Florida is also lovely, especially along the Gulf. Naples has some of the fluffiest sandy beaches, I love the sand there. Also the sunsets are zomg pretty.

On my wishlist are Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Morocco, and Egypt (when it calms down) and seriously all of these places are because of the art, food, and culture. I also want to visit New Zealand, but if I do, I may build a hobbit house and never come back.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:30 »

Hmm... I like Cornwall (SW England, not NY). I was born there and for some reason feel like I should know it better than I do, even though we moved away when I was about 18 months old.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's mostly to do with a girl that lives down there. Of course, I either clam up every time I speak to her or never stop talking. [/self-facepalm]
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:53 »

I'd say, in no particular order;

Finland - The lakes are awesome, and it's one of those few European countries that is still largely covered in forests. Helsinki is amazing, with a lot of friendly people and plenty of sights to be seen, including the Hotel Torni, which was the headquarters of the Finnish military during WW2, as well as Suomenlinna, an island fortress just a few minutes out from Helsinki harbour.

Wales - Spectacular countryside, with a lot of history. If you're interested in the Industrial Revolution, there are plenty of mines which fuelled that revolution. Cardiff is also a place I'd suggest a visit to, with the harbours a place that has been redone extensively over the years. The Millennium Stadium is also a great place to visit just to see all the technique behind how it was built.

Liverpool - Same reason as Cardiff really, but it is a place full of history, being a vital port for centuries.

Ireland - It's Ireland. You don't need a reason to visit. It's Ireland.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2012, 10:01 »

I've never left the US, with the exception of short trip into Canada when I lived in Buffalo.  But within the US, I've always been drawn to the sea.  Cape May NJ is beautiful (wait, did it get damaged by Sandy?  I don't remember), so is Cape Cod MA - I recommend places along the outer arm's seashore like Wellfleet, Chatham, and everyone should see Provincetown at least once.  I've been to both San Francisco and San Diego for conferences, and their both lovely, though in different ways.  The gulf shore in Florida's really nice, too (beaches!). 

Depends on what you like, really. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2012, 10:39 »

Washington State.
Iceland.
A relative suggested that everyone should see Las Vegas exactly once.
My wife says the people in Egypt are wonderful.
Everyone I've seen comments from loved the Galapagos.
In Thailand a friend visited a monastery where the monks's mission is to take care of tigers. You can pet tigers there. Ever hear a tiger purr?
Hawaii is a cliche but it's a cliche for a reason.
I've heard only good things from people who've trekked in Nepal.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zingoleb

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:56 »

My personal wishlist is composed currently of going back to England, going back to Wales. Visiting Scotland, New Zealand. Germany. Rome, definitely. I'd love to live somewhere Mediterranean for for part of my life.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2012, 08:50 »

A relative suggested that everyone should see Las Vegas exactly once.

Vegas is BEAUTIFUL. My wife and I honeymooned there for a fortnight, hopping to a different hotel every other day.

~~Good hotels (from experience):
Bellagio
Mirage
MGM Grand
Caesar's Palace

~~Not Too Bad:
Monte Carlo
Flamingo

~~Don't bother:
Luxor (The pyramid-shaped one). Very nice to walk through, awesome breakfast buffet, but the rooms are sub-par, and aren't as well maintained as other hotels in the MGM/Mirage Group.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2012, 09:14 »

I too have never left the US (well, a short jog into Canada once when I was little) but I second Cape Cod and Provincetown, anywhere along the Gulf in Florida (though I'm partial to Destin, such clear beaches and water there), agree that everyone should see Vegas at least once (and agree with the hotels listed - the Luxor really DOES have the best breakfast buffet, btw), and I second San Francisco and would add that if you enjoy nature-y stuff, Yosemite National Park is far and away my favorite park to have visited. I lived in Monterey for a year and a half and got to see Yosemite in every season. That whole area, the central coast of California, is just gorgeous all year round.

Best food depends on what you like. I mean, you can find the best barbecue in Memphis but it's not really the most exciting destination in the world :P

So as others have said, what do you like best about visiting other places? Do you like being around people, or would prefer to go hiking? Do you like cities or countryside? And am I the only one who finds the humor of your forum name in the context of this thread? :D

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2012, 05:45 »

Never left Australia, mostly because I have a terrible fear of just fucking everything up, like accomodation, losing luggage, getting lost in a strange place. I'm gunna start off easy with New Zealand sometime soon after my back heals from surgery.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:04 »

I would LOVE to visit Australia...and New Zealand. We can make the jump together! XD
Worry Hat, Engage!

mellowtune

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2012, 14:15 »

Ireland - It's Ireland. You don't need a reason to visit. It's Ireland.

lol, this.

Also perhaps Rome, Canada, and Japan.

I'd also like to visit Hawaii once.
Pages: [1]   Go Up