THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Return of the OMGTurkeys! What are YOU thankful for?

The strip.
- 66 (13.1%)
Jeph's health.
- 110 (21.9%)
MY health.
- 60 (11.9%)
YOUR health.
- 31 (6.2%)
Family and friends (though not necessarily in that order).
- 86 (17.1%)
This forum.
- 20 (4%)
Turkey and all the trimmings.
- 13 (2.6%)
The interwebs.
- 47 (9.3%)
Something else.
- 24 (4.8%)
Spathe Ham!
- 13 (2.6%)
...must... read... ALL the posts...
- 33 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2323-2327 (19-23 November 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 200651 times)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Okay, now it makes sense that Claire invited Clinton, despite what we had seen of their relationship.

He's fun to pick on.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

When it comes to trying to be super-careful to say exactly the right thing (i.e. Mar-Bear/bikini situation) - I will absolutely fuck it up.  I get flustered, inadvertently make an inappropriate joke, you name it.  When I get anxious, it gets ugly, and I will usually say the wrong thing.

But when my brain switches into crisis mode - i.e. friend in distress, taking control of a chaotic situation, someone needs to be cared for - everything is calm.  No stress, no anxiety, I just do exactly what needs to be done. Be totally supportive, listen, give feedback - even if it's something that directly involves me.  The switch just flips, it's crazy.

It's weird, man, I dunno why it happens that way - but I feel like Marten's got something similar going on, like you said.
It's a strange phenomenon for sure. I'm about the same as well (except my life is more or less lived online, which does help when you can revise your thoughts before submitting them). Under normal circumstances, I'm pretty much either a stammering idiot, or silent, awkwardness and all. But when something is up with someone, you just... say the things you think they need to hear, and it's helpful.

In my case, it's probably because of that Internet "comfort zone" that I have. Get me face-to-face, and it's not there (my mouth hits "submit" before my brain finishes writing its message, if you will, and me thinking on the fly... does not work).

Also on today's comic, I d'awwwed a little (OK, fine, a lot) at their interaction today. Bro still has to look out for his sister, trans* or not. Siblings: The only people that will torment each other for their own amusement, and then beat the shit out of anyone else that tries. At least, ideally so...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I honestly don't think there's been a comic that didn't feature one of the top "nine" characters (Marten, Faye, Dora, Hanners, Marigold, Steve, Sven, Tai, Pintsize) since Wil and Penelope.

EDIT: Actually, 2250 and Emily/Momo's interaction is the last time two non-main characters were in a strip essentially "by themselves."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Issue the first:
I'm only up to page 7 in this thread.

Issue the second:
This is hardly the first time Jeff has touched on the transness of mainline characters.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=973
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=974

Issue the third:
I'm trans.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Heh, forgot about "ballpocalypse".
Just another Joe like 46

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Aaaaaaw man this is adorable. Today I'm gonna celebrate my bday with my family (bday is tomorrow but that day will be spent mostly with my closest friends)... I'll make sure to give an extra big hug to my sis since we don't see each other too much nowdays.

I love these kind of comics, makes me appreciate the love I get from my family and friends which I take for granted most of the time.

I'm inspired! LOVE TO EVERYONE! :D

TheEvilDog

As a guy with an older sister, I too know how Clinton feels. I also know that we tore bloody chunks out of each other when we were growing up. I also know that when she brought her first boyfriend, I immediately threatened to kick him in the shin and run away if he ever hurt her (I was 15, he was a 7 foot tall rugby player).

So yeah, little brothers do tend to be quite protective of their sisters.....but they'll never tell them that.

Jokrmein

• Not quite a lurker
  • People won't be People

Has anyone else wondered what would happen if Tai wasn't with Dora, how Claire would have reacted to Tai coming onto her?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Well, she's 24, so she must have mastered handling unwanted attention by now. Unless she's so nerdy and hard-working that her social experience has been limited?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

With regard to the Lips/No Lips sexual dimorphism in the QC-verse... it's bunkum.

Anyone who emphasizes their lips with cosmetics (generally women) get the appearance of their lips augmented, but note the guys in the bottom row of that infographic. They all have a line that hints at their lip structure. They're not completely lipless. They're just lipstickless. It's only Clinton and Claire who are shown completely devoid of lips, but I noticed a distinct absence of Mar-bear.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2307

OMG. She has no lips! Maybe she's a long lost cousin of Clinton and Claire! Or, she's a geekgirl at a lake party who doesn't engage in makeup in her everyday life and so has even less reason to engage in it when going out into the woods to swim in a lake and eat grilled food with friends.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Momo has no lips. Neither do Winslow and Pintsize.

Oh my god. Pintsize.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

it's bunkum.

Well, sort-of.  At the start, Faye had lips, but Sara didn't.  Nor did the customers and staff in the restaurant that Marten and Faye went to.  After that the lips/no lips became more consistent, and I think (I'm not going looking right now) that it was about 1500 that the consistency began to break down again.  It's still a pretty strong indicator, none the less.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

What beans though!  Jinx what!
Curses, now we have to wait [measure of time greater than three days]!

I think the beans in questions were the fact that Claire is trans. She was worried that he would accidentally out her sometime during the night; she CHOSE to come out to Marten later in the night, but you'll notice she hasn't even come out to the rest of the group, so him outing her would still have been a problem.

But then why is he worried about jinxing it? He had that look on his face that he was concerned about something... else.

I mean, you're probably right. It's just fun to think about MOAR MISTREYS

TheEvilDog

What beans though!  Jinx what!
Curses, now we have to wait [measure of time greater than three days]!

I think the beans in questions were the fact that Claire is trans. She was worried that he would accidentally out her sometime during the night; she CHOSE to come out to Marten later in the night, but you'll notice she hasn't even come out to the rest of the group, so him outing her would still have been a problem.

But then why is he worried about jinxing it? He had that look on his face that he was concerned about something... else.

I mean, you're probably right. It's just fun to think about MOAR MISTREYS

My guess would be that now that Marten knows, there is something of a relief on Clinton, as he isn't the only person who knows Claire now. But with that relief, Clinton might become a little careless. In talking to Marten, he might let something slip in front of someone else.

As for his concern, it might be that he's worried about Claire telling Marten. All his experience with Mr. Reed has been being threatened with a sword and tied to a chair and being threatened, hardly leaving the best impression.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

In Momo's words:

Yes, exactly. One day... probably not in my lifetime though.

We just memorilised the 263 trans people killed this year for being trans. Up from last year, but I think it's just a sign of better reporting, not an increase in violence. True figure's at least an order of magnitude higher.

To gain some perspective - statistically, in the US we should have about 1 trans person murdered every 2-3 years. There were at least 15 last year alone.

Having an artist take so many pains not to hurt or give offence.... you have no idea how much that's appreciated.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The Return of the OMGTurkeys! What are YOU thankful for?

The strip.    62 (13%)
Jeph's health.    105 (22%)
MY health.    57 (11.9%)
YOUR health.    29 (6.1%)
Family and friends (though not necessarily in that order).    84 (17.6%)
This forum.    19 (4%)
Turkey and all the trimmings.    13 (2.7%)
The interwebs.    44 (9.2%)
Something else.    22 (4.6%)
Spathe Ham!    12 (2.5%)
...must... read... ALL the posts...    31 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 186
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dawwww

Cute sibling moment
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Visible_One

• Plantmonster

Been a while since I posted in the forums, but the comic has been so good lately! Not to mention this thread has been great, with excellent posts and SCIENCE galore.

on an unrelated note: I remember being around when the useless broom of dicks first appeared. Mention of them never fails to make me smile.
With a "zweihander" galley oar in hand, he cuts a swathe through a carefully assembled vertical tower of foam blocks. It can do that much, at least.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

By the way - I get this sense that in those last panels after Marten left, Claire's voice suddenly changed by about an octave.
Just another Joe like 46

Astroasis

• Not quite a lurker

What's known about Hannelore's psychological history is consolidated at
http://questionablecontent.wikia.com/wiki/Hannelore_Ellicott-Chatham

It's all of the above, plus psychotherapy. She is immeasurably better now than in her childhood.

I got a solid laugh out of the "Criticisms" section. TIL that people with OCD never forget anything anywhere. News to me. I forget everything everywhere and as a result, have to have my purse/wallet somehow attached to myself when I go out - or else I set it down and WHOOSH! It's forgotten. I've probably lost hundreds of dollars' worth of purchases (I wish I was exaggerating) by setting down the bags to look at something else... and then walking away.

Anyone who emphasizes their lips with cosmetics (generally women) get the appearance of their lips augmented, but note the guys in the bottom row of that infographic. They all have a line that hints at their lip structure. They're not completely lipless. They're just lipstickless. It's only Clinton and Claire who are shown completely devoid of lips, but I noticed a distinct absence of Mar-bear.

Totally agreed. Not to harp on the OCD thing (it's just a coincidence that both of my comments here relate to it, lol), but someone earlier tried to say this couldn't be the case because Hanners is shown with lips and she wouldn't wear lipstick, due to her OCD. *forehead smack* No, Hannelore totally could (and probably does) wear lipstick. Marigold totally does ping me as someone who often wouldn't bother with it, though - and she's been shown at times to BE wearing it, which also seems pretty true-to-form for her character.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Totally agreed. Not to harp on the OCD thing (it's just a coincidence that both of my comments here relate to it, lol), but someone earlier tried to say this couldn't be the case because Hanners is shown with lips and she wouldn't wear lipstick, due to her OCD. *forehead smack* No, Hannelore totally could (and probably does) wear lipstick.

Indeed.
 She used it in her father's birthday in the space station (#2135 - #2160).

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

"STATION THEY KNOW!"
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Astroasis

• Not quite a lurker

Indeed.
 She used it in her father's birthday in the space station (#2135 - #2160).

Yeah, see! That's totally what I was- Wait. Her father has lips. Now I'm confused again.

Makeup is evidently another recently acquired skill.

You've come a long way, baby.

She sure has XD And might I say how much I love Winslow's "I think you're beautiful!" <3

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Yeah, see! That's totally what I was- Wait. Her father has lips. Now I'm confused again.

No, he hasn't  ._.
 The lady in the lab coat is the "Doctor as a hobby" of the station  :lol: .

Astroasis

• Not quite a lurker

No, he hasn't  ._.
 The lady in the lab coat is the "Doctor as a hobby" of the station  :lol: .

Oh my God!!! I'm a complete moron. :lol:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Damn, I was on my way to the bunker, and this thread happened...

took me a few days, but I've caught up.  It's been alternately fascinating, horrifying, satisfying, and at times, downright silly. 

Thanks, everyone. 

:psyduck: <--- Isn't this the WTF Duck?   :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

It's been alternately fascinating, horrifying, satisfying, and at times, downright silly.

Isn't that QC in a nutshell though?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

True that. We just try to spread that fascinating, horrifying, satisfying silliness as far into our lives as is humanly (and maybe inhumanly) possible.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

By the way - I get this sense that in those last panels after Marten left, Claire's voice suddenly changed by about an octave.
No matter what, I still hear him with the voice of Dian Bachar in my head.

EDIT: DAMMIT, I completely misread jwhouk's post, I was speaking about Clinton!
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012, 07:38 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Damn, I was on my way to the bunker, and this thread happened... :psyduck: <--- Isn't this the WTF Duck?   :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
Psyduck? I guess, sort of. What the duck?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

It's comics like Friday's that make me really wish I had a sibling. Growing up as an only child is a pretty lonesome endeavor.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Soon there will be a new week, and a new thread to discuss comics in.

The extensive discussion in this thread came about as a result of the comics, of course, but this is the time for discussions that go beyond the comics themselves to migrate to the Chatter and Discuss parts of the forum where they can continue without getting split up each week.  Concerns from this thread have already spawned a new thread in Discuss, and some have been touched on in other existing threads.  Feel free to join in on those threads and to create others if appropriate; it will make more sense in the long run to do that now and to leave the next comic discussion thread to discuss new comics without getting interleaved with more serious matters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.

Hi.  Eight year reader.  New forum member (the existence of this message board didn't really register in my mind, and I'm not generally a forum person anyway) brought out of the woodwork, like so many others, by the Claire arc.  I'm a 25-year-old trans woman and college student, so Claire hits pretty close to home for me.

I really have nothing constructive to add here, except that I want to thank the majority of members here for truly being a class act.  With the exception of a few meatheads, this has been a pretty enjoyable read.  You guys are awesome.  I also want to thank Jeph but... well, I already did that via email.  Twice.

I'd also like to add that I read this entire 21-page thread in one sitting over about six hours.  I feel like I've run my head through a wheat thresher.  I should go lay down.   :psyduck:

--Katemonster
Other than that I have no opinion.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

The discussion of trans* issues has been separated out from this thread as well as I could manage.  The new topic has been moved to DISCUSS!.

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php?topic=28499.0

EspyPsyche

• Not quite a lurker
  • Stalker in the night...

D'awwwww.

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks

But now there's two seperate trans threads...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Better a surplus than a dearth. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Better a surplus than a dearth.

Surplice - Good:

Darth - Not so Good

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I like your sense of humor.

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

TheRedMaiden

• Not quite a lurker

All the props to Clinton for protecting his big sister :laugh:

Jeph totally nails the sibling rivalry/relationship between these two. At Thanksgiving this year my older sister and I beat the crap out of each other, (oh, man, my poor grandmother who's never seen us fight before), and were laughing all the time and the time afterwards. Needless to say my mom was pissed, but it was a bonding moment :wink:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up