THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead People's Clothes  (Read 4552 times)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
Dead People's Clothes
« on: 21 Nov 2012, 03:27 »

Would also be a great band name :)

Howdy-do, Chatterfolks?

Do you like vintage stuff?
Are you poor or just really stingy?
Don't see why you should pay more than 3 bucks for a sweatshirt?
Don't care if it´s dead folks' former belongings that some nursing home sold off en gros?
Oblivious off the fact that it has become some stupid hipster-clichée?

If I need something apart from jeans or sneakers I tend to go to charity-stores or second hand-stores to buy stuff.
My new polo sweater thingy has a nametag sewn inside saying it belonged to one "Walter Richarz". I don't really mind, but it is kind of odd.

Anyway I got these excellent brown wingtips the other day for next to nothing and I´m super psyched.

Soo, get anything good?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: Dead People's Clothes
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2012, 04:23 »

I was looking for pants, which is difficult for me, as it is for most women. But it is especially difficult at a thrift store, because they do a terrible job of separating the plus size stuff. And I have a huge ass. So anyway, I see this pair of jeans that look really comfortable and awesome and...

they're a halter top catsuit. Like this, but in fake denim.

Sassy!

In a very large size. I ended up cutting the halter top section off and just wearing them as jeans.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

VonKleist

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2012, 04:37 »

Yee, catsuit!
Imagine me doing a constructioworker-ish whistle (only from between my front-teeth because I can't whistle properly) :D

Where I shop they do a terrible job at keeping any sizes seperated, and since I´m skinny and 5′ 10″ I have to look hard for stuff that fits anyway because a lot of people either like their clothes baggy or are way taller and bigger than me. Always pitiful when you find that perfect "thing" but it´s 5 sizes too large :O

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2012, 04:42 »

Yeah usually I have that issue in reverse, I will find awesome clothing that is way too small for me. But occasionally I do find amazing pants that are a couple sizes too big and I try, in vain, to figure out where they were bought originally.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2012, 07:52 »

I needed a tux for the concert I sang in October (and again for the one in December). 

Now, I've been active in local theatre for years.  I had a tux shirt, and bowtie (real), but no tux. 

Our costume shop at the community theatre has sooo many castoff items - I was able to find both a jacket and pants (from different suits) that fit my bizarre body.  A cummerbund, too! 

I used to do more thrift store shopping, but now I just rewear the same damn stuff, or get given things by older male relatives.  Yes, I'm 50 and still wearing hand-me-downs...   :roll: :-P

Oh, but last winter I found a great insulated coverall, which was good because I had to fix that broken water main in January...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2012, 14:29 »

I knew a guy who worked cleaning up crime scenes, especially murders. He would actually take clothes home a lot of times because no one else wanted them.

"See this belt? Dead guy's belt." etc., etc.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2012, 15:38 »

I live in a city where the downtown area is huge on vintage and thrift stores.  As a result of all these competing thrift stores the prices are super low and the service and organization are great.  I go down there all the time, usually for shoes and jackets. My favourite (only) suit came from one of these stores.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

VonKleist

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2012, 00:09 »

"See this belt? Dead guy's belt." etc., etc.

Who doesn't want an excuse to walk around peoples houses and take their stuff?

As for hand-me-downs, I used to hate them as a kid as I got most my stuff from my older sisters or my cousins. Now if something is up for grabs I´m all in. Sadly I´m not allowed to wear my corduroy jacket anymore, except for work. I found it in a pile of my dad's working clothes and it was coated in pure nostalgia.

Sadly there´s only two halfway decent stores here. One is a chain of second-hand stores called Humana, but they are kind of pricey. The other one is kind of a social initiaive, I guess, because they also provide part-time jobs for underpriviledged people (as do a lot of these shops).
Then there are some second-hand shops that are imho just plain overpriced.
There is Oxfam too, but their store is tiny and not really good.

Leaves one really great store that´s a train-ride away but always worth the trip! Even if I only leave there with a stack of paperback novels to insulate my cave with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2012, 07:13 »

I walked into a thrift store in Amsterdam once. They didn't have any clothes that I wanted or needed. They did have some very nice jewellery made from flattened empty nespresso cups.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

catflea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2012, 09:49 »

I adore 2nd Hand clothes.  You can get some super bargains....

I paid £1.99 for an amazing faux sheepskin coat with a faux fur collar.... 

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2012, 12:10 »

Ohh, thrift stores are the best. One of the things i miss about NYC was the thrifting.....tons of awesome stuff (of course, you'd also have the seriously overpriced things because places would decide that something from Kmart circa 1980 was "vintage"). It was hard to walk more than 10 blocks and not hit a thrift store.

I think a few of my favorite finds were an Ann Taylor faux snakeskin clutch with a detachable chain strap for $2 and a Neiman Marcus copper silk blouse for $6.

catflea- the mention of that coat in another thread is actually what brought me to this one. It's fabulous! I never find good outerwear- lots and lots of purses. :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2012, 16:48 »

This thread reminds me of a song...

God, that video's old! 

Looks like my house... "I bet we'll make some young strangers happy when we die..."

Zingoleb

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2012, 17:42 »

Holy shit, I grew up on that song. Only the one I knew was Melanie (remember Melanie?)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2012, 02:40 »

Actually, no... but it's nice to know someone covered it - Cheryl's not exactly a "big star". 

Zingoleb

« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2012, 02:53 »

No, but she ought to be. She's written some fantastic pieces - Arrow and Summerfly come to mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up