THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Cartoons  (Read 30725 times)

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
Favorite Cartoons
« on: 23 Nov 2012, 10:46 »

I haven't seen a topic covering this, so...

I still enjoy a good cartoon, damn the recommended ages!
Lately I can't get enough Adventure Time, just the right amounts of random, hilarious, and creepy. Plus, it's set in colorful post-apocalyptic magic wonderland. It reminds me of how much I enjoyed cartoons as a youngster. Easily the best one on now, in my opinion.

So what're your favorite cartoons, and why?
Drumming is like counting with your whole body!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Favorite Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2012, 12:49 »

The original Hanna-Barbera Tom and Jerry cartoons. Phineas and Ferb. I don't watch many, although I would if I had a TV. Never watched Adventure Time as episodes, although it looks quite good from the clips I've seen around the net.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2012, 14:03 »

Phineas and Ferb is by far one of the best modern cartoons I have the opportunity of seeing, among the ones being marketed for kids. Among those not, there's Futurama, which I adore, but there are very few other programs where I would fight someone over the remote to be able to watch it. I also enjoy Spongebob Squarepants, but those have had so many reruns that I've pretty much seen them all.

I've also enjoyed the first Avatar animated series, though not on tv, because Disney are really the only ones capable of dubbing cartoons well in Dutch. I pirated them instead. Can't bring myself to pirate the second series, although I would like to see it.

As a kid, I watched cartoons like a maniac. Cartoon Network was my absolute favorite; it's such a shame we have to pay for the channel now. And all the modern cartoons are really tame compared to the old ones. Phineas and Ferb is great for its time, but it doesn't hold a candle to what I watched as a kid. The Cartoon Cartoons were fantastic: Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd & Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog; I loved every single one of those. Just Johnny Bravo got a bit stale after a while. I get the feeling that modern cartoons are made with the hypothetical hyper-sensitive moral guardian in mind, looking over the shoulder of whoever's trying to enjoy the cartoon. It's such a shame. I mean, Courage was downright terrifying most of the time! I Am Weasel was butts, butts, butts, butts, butts! The Powerpuff Girls had a cross-dresser as one of the most powerful villans! Do you know how much that blew my little mind at the time?

Alas, those things are deemed to be more than the frail, sensitive minds of children can handle. Although some cartoons do a really good job despite the censoring. I mean, look at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I catch the new episode on youtube every week, and it's downright astounding how they took one of the most exploitative, stereotyped, moneygrubbing series of toy commercials and turned it into a massively popular series with real characters with actual personalities. It's still a show for little girls, you can't get around that, but taken for what it is, Friendship is Magic is a really great cartoon.

Wow, who knew I had such strong feelings about this?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2012, 14:36 »

Scooby Doo.

I've always loved Scooby Doo, the character of the show has always made it so endearing and a pleasure to watch.  On Comcast's on demand a couple years back I managed to find a treasure chest of the old projects and even some Scrappy stuff.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2012, 14:50 »

I don't know, with all of the great cartoons on today I have a hard time arguing that the 90's were that much better. Though the 90's and current were a hell of a lot better than anything that came before. Anyone that can actually re-watch a lot of the 80's cartoons and actually tell me they're still great are clearly broken.

Gravity Falls

Bob's Burgers

Archer

Phineas and Ferb

Adventure Time

And those are just a very small number off the top of my head for modern days.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2012, 14:55 »

When I was little in the early 1950s we had a film copy (Pathé 9.5mm type, silent, of course, although it was one of the first made with synchronised sound) of this 1928 classic, which I have remembered fondly for my whole life; also some others, which I cannot now identify:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2012, 16:09 »

Heh, yeah, I've heard from many folks that 90's was the best (and I agree that most of Cartoon Network's programming then is pure gold) but there've been a ton of great cartoons the last decade.
I agree that Archer is fantastic, with some of the best writing for a show I've ever watched.
Other good ones of the -00's were Invader Zim and Flapjack.

The only ones I can do that are pre-90's is Scooby-Doo, and at that only the originals. I feel like some of the stuff from way back is something you probably had to grow up on.

Anyone ever see Perfect Hair Forever? Really bizarre retro Adult Swim show that parodies anime, but pretty hilarious.

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2012, 16:13 »

the 80's has a few shows that stand up well (David the Gnome comes to mind) but some of the "classics" from the time are horrible if you try to watch them again. Transformers, He-Man and TMNT for example, all utter garbage.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2012, 19:26 »

There is a sort of nostalgia filter looking back on the cartoons from our childhood, and like Ackblom said, a lot of the ones from the 80s and 90s are actually crap, some have withstood time (Thundercats! HO!). 

But the thing is, this kind of sums up the last ten years of Cartoon Network. I will admit that Adventure Time is pretty much the best cartoon at the moment, but I wouldn't say it was my favourite. In fact, I don't think I have a favourite cartoon... Swat Katz...
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2012, 20:06 by TheEvilDog »

BobTheApple

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2012, 22:17 »

There are three I find myself always coming back to, and pretty much always happy to watch...

Futurama, because it has been pretty much consistently funny despite being cancelled and picked up again years later. I can only think of three or four dud episodes, and those still seem to pull out a chuckle or two.

Avatar: The Last Airbender, because it is perhaps one of the best examples of storytelling in a western television show in the last decade. I could really go on for hours about the amazing levels of depth and nuances in this show. It said so much about war and morality and gender and family and friendship and power and romance and honor, and it's not given nearly the level of credit it deserves. As for The Legend of Korra, its sequel series... I'm not pleased so far, but I am reserving my final judgement until I see the next season at least.

Young Justice. I am a HUGE fan of comic books, and especially the original run of Young Justice, and later Teen Titans, so I may end up judging this a little less on the actual show and more on the fact that COMICS! But it does have some really good writing and a lot of subtle character and plot development. At times, it feels like it has an episode of the week sort of structure, and I normally prefer things that are a lot more continuous in plot, like A:TLA and a lot of anime, because the rewards at the end of the series or season seem that much sweeter. However, the subtlety with which the writers have introduced a lot of the plot elements is exquisite.

I also like a lot of the 90's and early 2000's cartoons because that's what I grew up with. It's one part nostalgia and one part suddenly getting all the adult references.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:47 »

Looney Tunes.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2012, 07:06 »

Yeah, but we're close to the same age. 

Also the entire Rocky & Bullwinkle show.  Fractured Fairy Tales, Mr. Peabody, Dudley Dooright,...very adult grown-up senses of humor in all of them. 

And on Saturday morning, there was the popeye show.  Now, I hated the popeye cartoons from the late 40's on - it was the cut-and-paste of the era.  The 50's and 60's were worse!  But every once in a while they'd dig out an old black and white Fleischer episode from the 30's.  My god, those were gems.  Hilarious, uncensored, and just... brilliant.  They were using a 3-d technique for backgrounds years before Disney...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2012, 09:41 »

It's one part nostalgia and one part suddenly getting all the adult references.

There's a section on most entries on TVTropes called "Getting crap past the radar" that deals with exactly that.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2012, 11:16 »

Looney Tunes was was one of my earliest cartoon loves. So happy we had a giant collection of them on VHS when I was growing up.

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2012, 12:09 »

Ah, I forgot about Looney Tunes!  Pretty good overall, except for the oddly racist episode here and there, and those don't see airing or rereleases anymore anyway.

And I've always been a fan of the shows that sneak some grown-ups humor past the censors.
Ren and Stimpy was one of my favorites like that, what with space madness, traveling rubber nipple salesmen, and that horse guy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2012, 12:21 »

Ren and Stimpy was one of my dad's favourites, and it's morbid as fuck. You can't convince me that it's in any way suitable for kids.

Does anyone ever get to watch Duck Dodgers? Thought that was hilarious as well, but it only airs on some obscure channel I can't remember.

In fact, I don't think I have a favourite cartoon... Swat Katz...
Swat Kats. I watched that, what feels like a million years ago, and I can remember absolutely nothing other than that it was awesome.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012, 12:31 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2012, 14:10 »

The new Duck Dodgers or the older one?

One of the cartoons that I still enjoy is Mighty Max. I had pretty much all the playsets when I was little

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2012, 14:15 »

The new series. I don't remember ever seeing the old one.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2012, 17:07 »

One of the cartoons that I still enjoy is Mighty Max. I had pretty much all the playsets when I was little

Oh god, Mighty Max! I loved that show! Can't believe I forgot about it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2012, 17:12 »

The new series. I don't remember ever seeing the old one.

You sad, sad person.

"Oops, had the silly thing in reverse."
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2012, 18:50 »

Oh god, Mighty Max! I loved that show! Can't believe I forgot about it.

Every episode is up on Youtube, YOU CAN RELIVE IT

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2012, 06:12 »

Regular Show
Rocko's Modern Life
Futurama (the old eps)
South Park (same as above)
Ren and Stimpy
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
Beavis and Butthead

TheEvilDog

« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2012, 07:26 »

I'm kind of weird when it comes to South Park. I don't watch it for a couple of years, then I start watching it again and stop after a few episodes because it feels like the same stuff repeated again and again.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2012, 09:17 »

Yeah, SP has kinda jumped the shark by using the same subtle moral compass paired with satirical humor but simply inserting whatever current event is all the rage.

Yay, ReBoot!
Worry Hat, Engage!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2012, 09:30 »

Oh cool, ReBoot is getting rebooted  :-D

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:16 »

I loved Ninja Turtles and the obvious copies of those (Street Sharks, Biker Mice From Mars etc)

I remember fondly loving The Mask/Ace Ventura cartoons too, weirdly enough. And Pokemon, of course. And Digimon, which nobody apart from me and my best friend seemed to watch.

Fairly Odd Parents was another show that I caught quite late I guess, although for the life of me I can't remember how old I was when I watched it properly.

I see freakin Ben 10 everywhere - is it any good or just new-age crap?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2012, 17:11 »

The original Ben 10 was pretty good, Alien Force and Ultimate Alien are needlessly dark and dramatic, and the new Ben 10: Omniverse is looking to be pretty good.

And don't get your hopes up for Reboot, they've been looking to continue/reboot it for years.

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2012, 17:16 »

I'm not real convinced they'd be able to strike that gold again anyways.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2012, 21:47 »

Someone mentioned Mighty Max. Good! Though I rewatched a coupled episodes on Youtube, and boy that body count gets really high really quickly. Though I did recognize when I was young that it could get kinda dark.

I watched the hell out of Digimon for the first three series...es? Serii? I don't know. 3 was the best, though I haven't given any of the others a shake and probably never will at this rate, so...grain of salt.

Also while I never followed the comics (talking to the wrong sibling for that I'm afraid), I did see the first...half of the first Young Justice season? That sounds right. I liked it quite a bit, but I have to bust it down a bit on account of how they handled that Weatherman (or whatever his name is) robot. I mean whatshername killed it on the principle that 'oh don't worry it's not alive'. But that strikes me as difficult to make work what with...their respected team supervisor is a sentient robot.  :psyduck:

You know, it probably doesn't hold up, and I don't remember it very well, but I do remember really getting a kick out of the Mutant League show.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:47 »

I used to love the original Pokemon. Looking at it now, it's almost so bad that it's good.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:23 »

This thread really got me thinking about the shows I used to watch as a kid, and it's shameful how many of them I forgot about.
Batman the Animated Series.
Biker Mice From Mars.
Skeleton Warriors.
COPS.
Conan the Adventurer.
Defenders of the Earth.
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.
Prince Valient.
Mummies Alive.

Man. Saturday and Sunday mornings were amazing.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:59 »

I think you all are forgetting someone

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2012, 18:51 »

I think you all are forgetting someone

Lizzie McGuire? :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2012, 21:09 »

Lizzie McGuire? :psyduck:

Nah, man!
Daria!

It's truly a shame we've forgotten that one.

And I had forgotten about Batman the Animated Series as well. Mark Hamill as Joker rules.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2012, 21:47 »

Daria!

I know, I know...it's just, no one knows who Lizzie McGuire is either. Not that I ever liked Hilary Duff...it's just a shame that everyone remembers the train wrecks, no one cares about people who actually accomplished something without fucking their lives up.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #35 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:18 »

Daria, god I HATED that show. She was the pre-hipster hipster.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #36 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:16 »

Daria, god I HATED that show. She was the pre-hipster hipster.

Uh oh...

(stands outside the blast radius)
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #37 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:15 »

DUCK AND COVER!

(dives under a table)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #38 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:06 »

Yeah okay, I can see that. Mind I've only seen bits of the show, but I would say that's a little dismissive of it (at least from my anecdotal evidence). The graduation speech is gold, for example.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2012, 15:55 »

I couldn't understand why my girls didn't like it so much.  Turns out they were a little young to have a sufficiently developed sense of irony. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 27 Nov 2012, 16:15 »

Hmm, I definitely understand that Daria is a model for some of the Hipster aesthetic, largely because hipsters co-opted a lot of punk aesthetic, but I don't think the subject of the show was hipsterish at all. Daria herself was a lot more HS punk/metal than anything else.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #41 on: 27 Nov 2012, 18:00 »

I'm just hoping Kugai doesn't see this thread...
Just another Joe like 46

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2012, 20:37 »

I've always liked the Jetsons actually.  Boomerang is a great place for television.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #43 on: 29 Nov 2012, 14:28 »

For me, cartoons will always be whatever was showing around the late 90's, around when I gave up TV. Nowadays, I only remember the names, not the shows. Shows how memorable they really were XD
A few I actually remember anything about were Sagwa, Courage the Cowardly dog, Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd and Eddy, Cow and Chicken, Cubix (Technically not animated, but it showed on Saturday mornings) scooby doo, and Liberty's children.
I'd say I gave up cartoons back then, but I really didn't. I picked up anime almost a decade later.
Funny little story, but Pokemon, sailor moon, and Yu-gi-oh will always be classified as both anime and cartoon to me, depending on sub vs dub. Just depends on what audience they were trying to target, I guess.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

TheEvilDog

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2012, 18:43 »

Can we have a spoiler synopsis for the US viewers?
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:08 »

Its basically 100 intros from cartoons from the 80s and 90s. Just an hour and a half of listening to classic shows.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #47 on: 08 Dec 2012, 20:21 »

Can someone please tell me what the deal is with Adventure Time? I watched the first few episodes and tried to get into it but it has no real intro, you're just thrown into the storyline. I also can't really see what the appeal is, I want to like it because it looks like my kinda show something just isn't right...

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 Dec 2012, 15:24 »

SPOOOOON!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 09 Dec 2012, 22:00 »

Can someone please tell me what the deal is with Adventure Time? I watched the first few episodes and tried to get into it but it has no real intro, you're just thrown into the storyline. I also can't really see what the appeal is, I want to like it because it looks like my kinda show something just isn't right...

It works best if you take a hit of acid about three minutes before the episode starts, but if you're all out of the good stuff, just imagine some kid on his computer, playing an RPG, and gets sucked into the game. Kinda like tron, but for D&D geeks. It's an ~ADVENTURE~ O__O
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up