THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our Moment Of The Week?

How did you and Pintsize end up as companions, anyway? You seem so... different.
- 0 (0%)
AnthroPC Companion Connectons: Your friend in Robotics"
- 1 (1.6%)
Wow, these are all really expensive.
- 0 (0%)
Let's see if you qualify for our "discount program." (Obtuse metaphor use!)
- 8 (12.5%)
THERE WAS NO SEX INVOLVED.
- 1 (1.6%)
Well it's my headcanon and you should respect that.
- 5 (7.8%)
Fill out this short questionnaire.
- 0 (0%)
You can figure out what kind of person I am just from this?
- 0 (0%)
We also monitor your body's autonomic responses... It's over 99% accurate.
- 0 (0%)
How do you monitor my aaaAAAAAAGH
- 1 (1.6%)
Gordon the ArachnoPC! "Don't be nervous! There are no wrong answers!"
- 12 (18.8%)
Okay Mr. Reed, your evaluation is in! (pause) THAT one?! Gordon, are you SURE about this?
- 0 (0%)
The biometrics look good to me! (please get off my head)
- 1 (1.6%)
I should probably go over our return procedure. And criminal liability agreement. And insurance policies.
- 5 (7.8%)
My head please get off it
- 9 (14.1%)
...Then they brought out Pintsize. I took him home, and the rest is history.
- 1 (1.6%)
But... but that is all wrong! You were frightened of Gordon! That would have completely thrown off your biometrics!
- 1 (1.6%)
You mean... You should not have been assigned Pintsize as your companion.
- 0 (0%)
Well, it worked out all right in the end, so YOU MEAN I COULDA BEEN WITH A HOT CHICK THIS WHOLE TIME?!
- 2 (3.1%)
...So it turns out I shouldn't have ended up with Pintsize after all.
- 1 (1.6%)
I'm happy with him. Even if he IS an ass sometimes.
- 0 (0%)
He does make me look like a better roommate by comparison.
- 1 (1.6%)
Pintsize snaps into a SlimJim!
- 0 (0%)
Still, I wonder what kinda robot you were supposed to end up with. I guess we'll never know.
- 1 (1.6%)
THE ROBOT WHALE! (CetaPC?)
- 14 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2333-2337 (3-7 December 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 85807 times)

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Is that a tarantula?   

Your concern seems quantifiable.

I'll prepare the shipping crate.  *nod*

...What have I done?

Wasn't just you,  quite a few of us are to blame.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

The interrogation spider reminds me of an entirely different spider.

One over at Oglaf. From the third story.

Yeah... not linking it here, go find it if you're over 18.

westrim

The interrogation spider reminds me of an entirely different spider.

One over at Oglaf. From the third story.

Yeah... not linking it here, go find it if you're over 18.
And if you're not over 18, go get an adult to click the button that says you are.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Thought which has been bugging me for the past couple of days, and I just realised specifically why - BoyfriendBot was a prototype humanform AnthroPC in the early 1000s, where Marten & Faye were surprised at the idea of humanoid APCs. And yet, despite having an (apparently) metal case, the APC3 "sales lady" seems very advanced in that light.

PS: Whatever happened to Pintsize's friends?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Oh, dear god, DSL. That avatar is HIGH-LARUOUS!  :psyduck:
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

[ ... ]
I don't blame you.
Wasn't that quote "I don't hate you."?

edit... if I had one of those turrets as a companion anthro-pc and it would speak to me in that voice I wouldn't need anything (or anyone) else in my life. °O

Someone already said but yeah, both were said between the games. I also debated "Are you still there?" I would love a turret Anthro-PC, although it would need to be able to walk which would probably be really creepy looking.

Thought which has been bugging me for the past couple of days, and I just realised specifically why - BoyfriendBot was a prototype humanform AnthroPC in the early 1000s, where Marten & Faye were surprised at the idea of humanoid APCs. And yet, despite having an (apparently) metal case, the APC3 "sales lady" seems very advanced in that light.

I was wondering the same thing about the sales lady but couldn't think of how to explain my thought and you handily remembered BoyfriendBot. Based on Momo's chasis and the sales-people there, maybe they're just advancing very quickly or at least are still not too common in public.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Does seem to be a discontinuity, dunnnit? I choose for the moment to resolve it by assuming Faye and Marten meant fully ... functional ... humaniform AnPCs.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

SalesLadyBot is yes, bigger, than Pintsize but it looks like she has a fixed mouth, certainly less fixed than Pintsize's.

Marten's reaction to BoyfriendBot was more muted than Faye's... a careful reading of his lines from that arc doesn't necessarily exclude his having interacted with something like SalesLadyBot. I think BoyfriendBot's innovations over SalesLadyBot's are in the skin and articulability(?) of the mouth (shown when Winslow inhabits him).

Not sure about SpiderInterroBot.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Eh. To me at least, the simpler answer is retroactive change, don't worry it too much. Certainly the role of AI characters in the setting has rather changed (for the better I'd say) from Jeph's initial writing.

Though I do understand that trying to shoehorn things in as gently as possible can be a fun pastime.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Head cannon.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Head cannon.
It's the artillery.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I was wondering the same thing about the sales lady but couldn't think of how to explain my thought and you handily remembered BoyfriendBot. Based on Momo's chasis and the sales-people there, maybe they're just advancing very quickly or at least are still not too common in public.

"BoyfriendBot" appears also in 1997. So add that to the wild mass guessing.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

But that's a commercial bot for sale.  Maybe boyfriend bot was his prototype? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Adjamemnon

• Not quite a lurker

What I find totally adorable (and makes me want it in real life more) is that the SpiderPC believes that Marten's nervousness is about the questionnaire.

I know that I'm just explaining the joke, but it's what adds to an already ludicrous amount of adorableness here.  It's almost a critical mass of Awwwwwww.  If it was holding a kitten, it'd be weapon's grade and we'd all be doomed.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Does seem to be a discontinuity, dunnnit? I choose for the moment to resolve it by assuming Faye and Marten meant fully ... functional ... humaniform AnPCs.
If you mean in the Lt. Cmdr. Data sense, BoyfriendBot's "functionality" was "a feature to be implemented at a later date" per #1011.

SalesLadyBot is yes, bigger, than Pintsize but it looks like she has a fixed mouth, certainly less fixed than Pintsize's.

Marten's reaction to BoyfriendBot was more muted than Faye's... a careful reading of his lines from that arc doesn't necessarily exclude his having interacted with something like SalesLadyBot. I think BoyfriendBot's innovations over SalesLadyBot's are in the skin and articulability(?) of the mouth (shown when Winslow inhabits him).
Surely a humanoid robot that has at least human-level balance, walking speed and arm/hand articulation is more of a challenge than a moving mouth as Pintsize has. I mean, BFB doesn't even have a properly human-like face, so that's well into the realms of present-day animatronics.

i.e., BFB is basically SLB's body (in male form) + Pintsize's face. And yet is a bleeding-edge prototype two+ years later.

Well, if he was JEC's "latest prototype" in #1010, being on-sale some time later - especially given the advances to Momo II-level - that works well enough since QCtime has accelerated a lot since the early days, where the first 1000 strips took something like two months.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Well, if he was JEC's "latest prototype" in #1010, being on-sale some time later - especially given the advances to Momo II-level - that works well enough since QCtime has accelerated a lot since the early days, where the first 1000 strips took something like two months.
The question, then, is whether his "bait-and-tackle" emerged from beta testing...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Your signature makes me wonder whether AIs have rights to hold political office in QC or not
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

anarchophobia is a great word.

"The US, filled with anarchophobia, is determined to nail Assange's hide to the wall."

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Just realize how Marten's hair goes from well-combed to a mess in the last panels xD

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Your signature makes me wonder whether AIs have rights to hold political office in QC or not
Assuming an AI could run for President, would they have to be 35 years old? If so, does that refer to the AI or their current body? Also, would they have to be programmed (or at least activated for the first time) in America?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Something that I meant to say earlier but didn't: when I read the line "it's my headcanon and you should respect that," my immediate thought was that Jeph must have been reading tumblr again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Oh god comic... this is probably one of my favourites.  It would seem as though pintsize has always been a problem child then.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Gordon's head: "It's a problem child, but this young boy can save him :3 ...probably ._. "

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He's my favorite ArachnoPC.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Careful Marten, the Premiums are gonna be a bitch.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Actually, we only see SellingRobotFräulein xalk in Pintsize's fantasy. Since he is quite unreliable a narrator, she could be a trunk with arms propped up on a chair, just to make the customer at ease. Until a tarantula settles on her/his head, at least.
(killed a giant Frostbite Spider in Markarth yesterday... Coudn't help but compare.)
Signature OF DOOM!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

my head

please get off it.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

For that matter, there must be exceptions to all sorts of age requirements for AIs. Momo, for example, can legally hold a job even though she's less than three years old.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yes, but working ages aren't in the Constitution.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

For some reason, I read Gordon's lines with a Tachikoma's voice in my head...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I didn't realize until recently, but I don't seem to do the whole "voices" that a lot of people do when I read things. Now I feel like I'm missing out. (Exceptions of course if I've already associated a voice with the character. For example, I started reading the books after I started reading the show, so when I read the Song of Ice and Fire books, Tyrion sounds like Peter Dinklage).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Hm. Spiderbot on Marten's head ==> Spiderbot named Gordon ==> Half-Life protagonist named Gordon ==> Half-Life contains vaguely arachnoid nightmare fuel called headcrabs ==> headcrabs get on your head and make you forever sad zombie.

Ergo Marten is about to become a zombie.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Yay!  :-)
 --
 Did Hannelore have to "suffer" this test? Maybe her father just create/build Winslow i guess.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

I might buy one just to freak out my wife  :evil: .  What? No other guy here messes with their wife/girlfriend using fake bugs or rodents? Or real ones even?  :evil:

As to the comic, looks like Marten's going to end up arachnophobic by the time the interview is over. He's also too distracted to notice the warning signs that he's about to end up with a real problem child of an AnthroPC (which might be Gordon's Plan!).

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Illeist

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Oh my goodness, Gordon is freaking adorable. I require more Gordon at once.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Did Hannelore have to "suffer" this test? Maybe her father just create/build Winslow i guess.
He's an Apple product, so I'd guess the only suffering Hannelore likely went through was entering an Apple store.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

Gordon is surprisingly adorable for a big spider thing. When Jeph makes odd side characters they end up being very compelling I notice.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

He's my favorite ArachnoPC.
"You're my favorite son !"
"I'm your ONLY son, mom !"
"Thats why you're the favorite !"
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

No wrong answers, eh?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Head cannon.
It's the artillery.

Ubique.

And it was appropriate that  you posted that on St. Barbara's Day (see page 91, Art 703).

BSM 2 Bty
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

He's also too distracted to notice the warning signs that he's about to end up with a real problem child of an AnthroPC (which might be Gordon's Plan!).
Gordon is a kind of sorting hat?

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

GORDON PLUSHIE

That is all.
SQUEEZE BOX

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

yessssssss, Gordon plushie!  I would wear him on my head everywhere I go.

I defies all logic, probably, but the bigger a spider is, the less it creeps me out.  I had to cover the library spider with my hand, but Gordon is adorable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It seems that if there's an interval of QC being dramatic, something really weird happens.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

derisyan

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

For that matter, there must be exceptions to all sorts of age requirements for AIs. Momo, for example, can legally hold a job even though she's less than three years old.
Not sure about "legally". Tai seems to run a very relaxed management on the library.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Turn out the lights, the party's over... Now what?

How Hannelore Got Home.    4 (5.9%)
Awkward silence as Emily takes Marigold home.    5 (7.4%)
Gabby ends up in bed with Tai - with Dora's PANTS on!    5 (7.4%)
Momo tries the Slacker Approach with Marigold.    7 (10.3%)
Angus and Faye head off for ADVENTURE!    2 (2.9%)
Penny and Raven wonder where the others have gone.    9 (13.2%)
More about Claire and Clinton's background.    5 (7.4%)
Why Smif College accepts Trans*.    1 (1.5%)
Spathe Ham and Waffles for everyone!    3 (4.4%)
...Must ...Read ... ALL THE POSTS...    11 (16.2%)
TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES: PINTSIZE    16 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68[/i]
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Ok so the mouth's not fixed (so much for that astute observation)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It might be more efficient to have results and other important forms emerge from a printer slot on the desk (or, you know, on the laptop screen or just downloaded directly your robot mind) but it would not be as funny as a robot claw delivering a piece of paper from the ceiling.

No wonder the little three-eyed aliens worshiped The Claw.

I'm reminded of a forgettable 1970s sitcom, "Holmes and Yoyo," in which John Schuck played a robot police detective whose investigative skills included pressing his nose to cause himself to take a Polaroid photo which emerged from his shirt pocket. Yoyo being an advanced model, it was an SX-70 print.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Haha... the way she squeezes the paper and the look on her face when she says "THAT one?!" makes me wonder if she's had a run in with Pintsize some time ago... it would certainly make that reaction understandable.  :-D
Wonder if he got her the same present he got Momo for christmas once...
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wonder if the chassis he had at the start of the comic was his first.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up