THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 20:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MovieLens  (Read 3797 times)

ackblom12

MovieLens
« on: 06 Dec 2012, 05:27 »

Movielens is a NFS funded crowd sourcing project attempting to improve recommendation algorithms. If you've ever used Netflix or Pandora, you understand that sometimes these algorithms have some... funky ideas. For example, I'm pretty sure every single person who's ever used Netflix has had The Human Centipede recommended to them for (usually) seemingly unknown reasons.

This is not a high traffic site as far as these things go, but so far I'm finding it's rating predictions to be eerily accuarate in comparison to other sites and it has a lot of customization available to you. You can customize tags, hide tags, add movies when they aren't already listed, categorize tags within movies by good/bad parts of the film, add friends and you can even see what they predict you and another person will enjoy together. It's not perfect, but it's looking really great so far and it seems like they're actively working on it, so it should improve over time as well.

http://movielens.umn.edu

If you want, add me. I'm "ackblom12".
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2012, 06:07 by ackblom12 »

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: MovieLens
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2013, 21:17 »

Baaack from the dead... though I am sure it will trickle to the second page again with no responses.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents here.  So I learned about movielens through an academic paper I read about tagging or something, and tried it and then convinced Stephen to try it too.  I think it gives me the best recommendations (though nextflix with probably improve now that it has profiles for multiple users).  Since Stephen is comfortable borrowing things for us, I also like that it can recommend me movies that are not available to stream on Netflix.  Since using it I have been watching a lot more movies, and a wider variety of movies, and almost all of the predictions have been close. 

Also, you get to know that you are helping a university do research on recommender systems, tagging, and other important Information work. 

If you want to friend me, I'm Papersatan there as well, though, I think the friend's feature leaves a lot to be desired. You can't look through all friend's rated movies for instance, but it does allow you to get a combined recommendation, which is nice.  Steve and I have very different movie tastes, but the system can recommend a movie that we are both likley to rate high, which is something Netflix still can't do. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2013, 12:46 »

I used to use this and then I got too lazy to actually rate the movies I've watched. I may need to jump back on this, ESPECIALLY knowing that I can force my boyfriend to make an account and rate things as well for the combined feature. It should make deciding on a movie to watch easier. While our tastes don't really clash too much, I think he's a little more selective about certain genres than I am. Now I'm just sad it won't be using at least two years of movie info I could've accumulated. Though I guess it won't be hard to import Netflix options at the very least. And memory can fill in a few more gaps...

I will say that MovieLens has one more advantage over Netflix: if I remember correctly, it will actually let you rate things with HALF STARS. I don't know why, but there's so many times I want to rate things I've watched 3.5 or 4.5 and just had to force myself to round up or down and it bugs me. I seem to function better on a ten point system.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 03 Oct 2013, 12:51 »

Yes! Half starts are one of the reasons I love it so much.

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 03 Oct 2013, 12:53 »

Speaking of, what's your user name?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2013, 14:10 »

Replying so I can keep track. This looks like good fun.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2013, 18:46 »

Had to wait until I was home from work to log on and dig up my username.

It's "ThunderKnight."
Pages: [1]   Go Up