THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And the final MOMENT OF THE WEEK for 2012 would be?

Our current arrangement is fine.
- 0 (0%)
Bunk beds? (Momo can sleep perfectly well sitting up.)
- 1 (2.7%)
Where does Pintsize sleep? In a Faraday cage? Duct taped to a wall? In a lead lined box?
- 3 (8.1%)
The next dinosaur coffeemaker? Meh, I'm done with dinos.
- 0 (0%)
Why do you hate money? I'm just tired of dinosaurs.
- 1 (2.7%)
Robot bacon zombie coffee nija UGH. Sorry, I'm allergic to internet memes.
- 0 (0%)
Sneaky Sam: Anomalocaris! (Somebody's been working on their sneaking skills!)
- 0 (0%)
School's out for the summer. Duh. (We'd have plenty of room for the parts, but...)
- 0 (0%)
Does your dad know you're here? Yes.
- 0 (0%)
Faye gives her the look: "I mean, um, I'll call him now."
- 4 (10.8%)
Jim? Dora. We seem to have acquired your offspring.
- 1 (2.7%)
Sword training! "No, no, you don't have to come get her."
- 0 (0%)
THWACK! "On second thought, can you come get her AND Faye?"
- 5 (13.5%)
"Okay Sam, let's go. You're in big trouble."
- 0 (0%)
THERE IS NO SAM HERE THERE IS ONLY SKULLMASTER, MASTER OF SKULLS
- 9 (24.3%)
Well, you better FIND her, because she's ALREADY grounded for a week and if I don't see her face in the next 3 seconds I'm extending it to a MONTH.
- 0 (0%)
PUNY MORTAL! YOUR FEEBLE THREATS ARE NOTHING TO SKULLMASTER! (Holy crap, she doubled down!)
- 10 (27%)
"But I didn't say those things, Skullmaster did!" (Well if it makes you feel better, you're BOTH grounded.)
- 0 (0%)
Absolute skull power corrupts skulls absolutely.
- 0 (0%)
Really weird seeing you play with a kid. (I like Sam, she shows great potential for future mayhem.)
- 0 (0%)
I really hope her punishment includes mandatory showers, because that kid is RIPE.
- 0 (0%)
Feces and lice and two-week-dead mice, that's what little girls are made of.
- 3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2343-2347 (17-21 December 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 52767 times)

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Coffee of Doom may be a safe place, but we have no idea how far she walked from or what kind of neighborhoods she walked through.

In general, it's pretty questionable for little girls to go randomly wandering around big cities alone without their parents knowing where they're at.

It's also quite possible that Sam has pulled this stunt before and that Jim gave her some version of "Don't you ever, EVER take off without telling me where you're going, or you'll be in BIG trouble!" in which case it's appropriate for him to follow through.

Sam strikes me as the type of kid who needs a firm hand and won't be traumatized by it.  She's attracted to danger like ants to a picnic, and Jim needs to make sure she lives to grow up.  If he comes across a bit strongly, that may be motivated purely by love and worry.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's the end of the world as we know it!

I feel fine.    36 (45%)
Oh geez, what did Pintsize do NOW?    7 (8.8%)
Wait, I thought those three girls and that big-boobed pixie from Minneapolis fixed that?    3 (3.8%)
Nyahhh! The meteor missed us!    3 (3.8%)
Is Raven doing theoretical temporal physics again?    8 (10%)
Not happening. Cassie showed us NYC in 2013. It's all good.    4 (5%)
But... but I wanted to know where Pintsize sleeps!    2 (2.5%)
The global AI hasn't turned into SkyNet... YET.    2 (2.5%)
Personally? I don't really care, as long as there's waffles and space ham.    3 (3.8%)
Hanners hasn't read all the posts yet.    10 (12.5%)
Other (please specify in space provided; use back of paper if necessary)    2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Daw  :-D

Imagine the "mummy, why am I a badger?" talk though...

"Because you live in Wisconsin, dear."
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Well, yes, but Sam isn't little any more and Northampton isn't a big city.

Although, given that it has ninja monks jumping innocent bystanders, it may be too dangerous for anyone to walk around.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Although, given that it has ninja monks jumping innocent bystanders, it may be too dangerous for anyone to walk around.

People walking out after curfew need a permit...otherwise, the monks show no mercy. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

The way I read it is she has already been busted previously and off-screen and so was grounded for a week. Breaking this grounding has now extended the punishment to a month.

I read it that way as well.  And he's remarkably good about the issue.  Although I suspect that this will change in the not to distant future.

I like this reading, I think it puts the reaction in the most logical light.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

It doesn't seem like Faye to be helping Sam defy her father.
I don't think Faye is doing that, exactly. I think they were playing Skullmaster before he even walked in, and now it's not like Faye can just drop Sam. She's staying quiet so as not to meddle but she can't really get away.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

So, Sam is not like a "litte-sister" to Faye, but a nice pupil  :psyduck:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's also quite possible that Sam has pulled this stunt before and that Jim gave her some version of "Don't you ever, EVER take off without telling me where you're going, or you'll be in BIG trouble!" in which case it's appropriate for him to follow through.
This may be where the "already grounded" thing came from. As in "Don't you ever, EVER take off without telling me where you're going, or you'll be grounded for a week!" So yeah, parental discipline FTW!

As for Sam's BO, judging from her previous escapades, who knows what she's been rolling in.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

westrim

Kid's don't really get body odor until they hit puberty (and she doesn't look very pubescent), and she looks clean judging by her clothes and neat ponytail, so I'm confused.

Oh wait, I need to say something punny and great leaderly.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Kid's don't really get body odor until they hit puberty (and she doesn't look very pubescent), and she looks clean judging by her clothes and neat

Maybe.
 But she used to play in swamps , so...

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Some person: "<Asking simple yes/no question>"
Sarcastic person: "Duh. Does a bear shit in the woods?"
Sam: "Yes it does. Bitey and the Froglord already showed me that..."

Edit: GAH, ninja'd! Must work on my archive-fu...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker

*looks at title*

I may be setting myself up for a death sentence here, but let me be the first to say:

Ponies.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

"Ponyleaks" is a call-back to the time several years ago when Jeph was renaming the forums to suit his mood (usually: upset with the forums!), and combined with Wikileaks.  I have retained it in the title for reasons which now amount to mere nostalgia.  There is more explanation in this thread.  One of the changes spawned its own thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

So, wait, where the hell have all those ponies I leaked to you been going?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Here's my daughter on one:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I hope Randy shows up next week.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I hope you didn't leak me the one I got my 2-year-old niece for her birthday...I did not know at the time that it talks. I really did not at the time that it talks in both a man's and a woman's voice. Grab the left ear, and it says "I love it when you brush my hair!" (Woman's voice). Grab the right ear, and it goes into this creepy little song that sounds like Droopy Dog. "I'm a little, pony, clippity clop, clippity clop..." etc.

It's downright frightening.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I hope you didn't leak me the one I got my 2-year-old niece for her birthday...I did not know at the time that it talks. I really did not at the time that it talks in both a man's and a woman's voice. Grab the left ear, and it says "I love it when you brush my hair!" (Woman's voice). Grab the right ear, and it goes into this creepy little song that sounds like Droopy Dog. "I'm a little, pony, clippity clop, clippity clop..." etc.

It's downright frightening.

And boom goes the ridiculousness jar.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

idrumgood

The last frame of today's strip looks like Dora is shooting white nipple laser beams.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

And enjoying it immensely....

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's the end of the world as we know it!

I feel fine.    38 (43.7%) <== We have too many REM fans on this board.
Oh geez, what did Pintsize do NOW?    8 (9.2%)
Wait, I thought those three girls and that big-boobed pixie from Minneapolis fixed that?    3 (3.4%)
Nyahhh! The meteor missed us!    3 (3.4%)
Is Raven doing theoretical temporal physics again?    9 (10.3%)
Not happening. Cassie showed us NYC in 2013. It's all good.    4 (4.6%)
But... but I wanted to know where Pintsize sleeps!    2 (2.3%)
The global AI hasn't turned into SkyNet... YET.    3 (3.4%)
Personally? I don't really care, as long as there's waffles and space ham.    4 (4.6%)
Hanners hasn't read all the posts yet.    11 (12.6%)
Other (please specify in space provided; use back of paper if necessary)    2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 87
Just another Joe like 46

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

Kid's don't really get body odor until they hit puberty (and she doesn't look very pubescent), and she looks clean judging by her clothes and neat

Maybe.
 But she used to play in swamps , so...

Swamps do smell... incredibly fucking terrible. I can't recall the proper name, but there are a few swamps on the east coast (one in NC) that smell quite strongly of rotten eggs, dwarf feet, and fourteen week old puke.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

And boom goes the ridiculousness jar.

I believe you mean "ridiculosity".
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's the pedantry!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Pedantriciousness. That tastes better.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Oh, the pedanitry!
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Interacting with Sam is probably good for the Pugnacious Peach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker

"Ponyleaks" is a call-back to the time several years ago when Jeph was renaming the forums to suit his mood (usually: upset with the forums!), and combined with Wikileaks.  I have retained it in the title for reasons which now amount to mere nostalgia.  There is more explanation in this thread.  One of the changes spawned its own thread.

Actually I was referring to the title of the comic, Snips and Snails, a pair of retarded loopy ponies.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2012, 11:20 by Alzarath »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think the comic is referring to the rhyme about what little boys are made of - in my childhood, "slugs and snails and puppy dog tails", but according to the internet, "snips and snails and puppy dog tails" is the traditional version. That makes more sense considering Dora's final comment...

Also, kids don't get BO but they can still sweat - if she hasn't had a shower or bath in a day or two and is always as active as we've seen her, Sam could easily smell of stale sweat.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

I think the comic is referring to the rhyme about what little boys are made of - in my childhood, "slugs and snails and puppy dog tails", but according to the internet, "snips and snails and puppy dog tails" is the traditional version. That makes more sense considering Dora's final comment...
And the traditional counterpart to that is that little girls are made of "sugar and spice and everything nice."  You'll note the similarity to Dora's play on the expression.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Indeed - and the version I know is only slightly different (sugar and spice and all things nice). I love how children's rhymes and songs are found all over the world; for instance Ring a ring of roses, which I've heard several versions of from Australia, Canada, and indeed English-speaking people in many other countries.

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker

Indeed - and the version I know is only slightly different (sugar and spice and all things nice). I love how children's rhymes and songs are found all over the world; for instance Ring a ring of roses, which I've heard several versions of from Australia, Canada, and indeed English-speaking people in many other countries.

Strangely I never heard of either of these. I mean, the one directed at girls I heard from the Powerpuff Girls intro. But never actually heard it used in a traditional sense.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

The last frame of today's strip looks like Dora is shooting white nipple laser beams.

Cannot unsee.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Strangely I never heard of either of these. I mean, the one directed at girls I heard from the Powerpuff Girls intro. But never actually heard it used in a traditional sense.

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails (and ingredient X) are what the Rowdyruff Boys are made of, as I recall.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails (and ingredient X) are what the Rowdyruff Boys are made of, as I recall.

Sounds a bit more familiar in that context. Speaking of which, has anyone watched the abomination called Powerpuff Girls Z? I couldn't watch past the first episode. You know something's wrong when the anime remake of a children's television show is more tame than the original.

Vurogj

• Obscure cultural reference

Just because I have to let my sci-fi geekiness out sometimes...

This "Ring a ring of roses" sub-discussion is a minor plot point in Orson Scott Card's Foundation-set short story "The Originist". Good story, and relevant to this chat.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

The last line of this week reminded me of Lenka's Everything at Once.
Francisco

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ring a ring of roses
Apparently the British and American versions have the sames line two and four, with the first line on my side of the pond being replaced with "Ring around the Rosie", and the third being replaced with "Ashes, ashes".  Also, what the hell is "A-tishoo"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Onomatopoeic sneezing. The rhyme originates with the advent of the Black Death and describes, loosely, some of the behaviours and superstitions surrounding it.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Oh. Weird, I've seen "Achoo" and I guess that's sort of like it, but...three syllables?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Come to think of it, I've never seen it used in any other context than that rhyme as a sneezing sound - usually I'd say "achoo". But Mr Rose is right, that's what I've heard the origin is too. The ring of roses refers to the rash you got, the "atishoo" is the sneezing, and then "all fall down" is dying. The pocket full of posies was a belief that if you kept flowers in your pocket, the bad smells which caused the disease wouldn't reach you.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Then why'd they change it to ashes over here?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I'd say, just simple corruption in pronunciation over time. One little kid in a hurry mushes the pronunciation of atishoo, his or her playmates pick up, and the next thing you know it's all ashes.

Happens in the best of languages.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Another belief is that the "ashes" were symbolic of the Cold War/threat of nuclear annihilation, followed by the dying...but I'm not sure how the ring and the posies fit in with that line of thinking.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Considering the "ashes" version goes back at least to the turn of the last century (my grandfather, born in 1898, learned it that way), no.  Nothing to do with nuclear war.  It's a corrupted sneeze. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It being a corrupted sneeze doesn't explain why it's ashes here and a sneeze in the UK. Shouldn't both be used in both places if it was that simple?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Onomatopoeic sneezing. The rhyme originates with the advent of the Black Death and describes, loosely, some of the behaviours and superstitions surrounding it.
Isn't the Black Death name associated with the great pandemic of the 14th Century? I understood the rhyme was supposed to refer to the Great Plague of 1665, and that this explanation is probably bogus.

Corrupted sneeze: In England, and Australia too, the sneeze is "Atishoo" or "Atchoo" which blur easily enough into "Ashes", I think.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And here I thought it had something to do with cricket.

&lt;/silly_mode&gt;
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up