Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 4333 times)

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
Wii U
« on: 18 Nov 2012, 17:14 »

My wife and I got one last night.  We camped out for four and a half hours to get it at midnight, brewed coffee while we waited for the system updates to download and install, played until very late/early, slept not very many hours and went right back to playing.

It's now eight o'clock on a Sunday night and we didn't do the laundry or go grocery shopping or do anything but play Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros.  This isn't normal for us - we hadn't been planning to camp out until the last second, and we nearly talked ourselves out of it.  I think I mentioned in another post that I wanted to wait for reviews to come out.  Maybe I'll feel different when I'm at work at o-dark-thirty tomorrow, but right now I'm glad I didn't wait.

Has anyone else gotten the Wii U yet, or tried it?  Impressions?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:09 »

So how's your 5GB update working out? Got your external drive yet?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:14 »

I think I'm going to pass on it, and quite likely that entire gen of consoles, but I've heard the Wii U is a really nice addition to the entertainment center once you've had a bit of time to adjust.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:04 »

I am unhappy about what that did to our storage - granted we have a 32 GB model so it's not that big a deal (for now).  It's early yet so we'll see if something else gets worked out in the coming weeks.  I would be equally unsurprised if they either did or did not resolve this, you know?

On a more positive note I'm having a lot of fun with Nintendo Land whenever the "helpful" guide isn't talking (Monita is like Nintendo's own version of the Microsoft Office paperclip).  My wife has played some games before this but she's still pretty much a beginner, but the asymmetrical gameplay mechanic in Nintendo Land's games works out pretty well for two players with different experience levels.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2012, 20:36 »

I played a little bit in the store the other day and it was surprisingly fun, though I can't see it being a party console like the wii. It's more like a giant DS.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2012, 20:38 »

It looks really cool, but I don't see myself getting it any time soon. At least not until the new Animal Crossing comes out for it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2012, 05:10 »

I've not got the slightest bit of interest, if anything less than for the original Wii. I don't like these gimmicky controls, I just want a game I can play - and I know that some games on the Wii had the option for either, but plenty of them didn't or became pointless without it.

Apart from anything else, there weren't even m/any games I liked on it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2012, 09:10 »

I might get it, I'm pretty excited about some of the games I've seen slated for release.  They have the new assassins's creed, pikmin 3, a legend of zelda, the new super smash bros, and they even saved the bayonetta series.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

MugenHAN

• Not quite a lurker
  • I accidentally the profile
    • Heihachi Y's Blog (NSFW!)
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:30 »

I bought mine specifically for Bayonetta 2. But Mario and Nintendo Land are pretty cool too. I'm actually enjoying Miiverse as well. Type a comment or draw a comment?? That is just too cool.

It's more like a giant DS.

And that is why it's awesome!  :lol:

That being said, my system got bricked late last week when something happened to my interwebs during an update. I'd fix it myself but it's still in warranty, so off to Nintendo it goes.

I accidentally the signature

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:51 »

I played a little bit in the store the other day and it was surprisingly fun, though I can't see it being a party console like the wii. It's more like a giant DS.

Far from the truth, in my opinion. A week ago, me and four friends were having a blast with Nintendo Land (the Animal Crossing game in particular). Similar things can be said for New Super Mario Bros 2. As long as more games like these come out, it'll probably outdo the Wii in this category.

I'm actually really excited for the new Warioware (I'm a big fan of the series). And I'm really hoping a Mario Party comes out in the next couple years for it. Nintendo Land proves they could do really fun things for the minigames this time around (assuming they lean away from the more unnecessarily gimicky ones in Mario Party... 8, was it?).

But you are right, that with JUST the gamepad, it is just a really big DS. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2012, 21:50 »

Far from the truth, in my opinion. A week ago, me and four friends were having a blast with Nintendo Land (the Animal Crossing game in particular). Similar things can be said for New Super Mario Bros 2. As long as more games like these come out, it'll probably outdo the Wii in this category.

I'm actually really excited for the new Warioware (I'm a big fan of the series). And I'm really hoping a Mario Party comes out in the next couple years for it. Nintendo Land proves they could do really fun things for the minigames this time around (assuming they lean away from the more unnecessarily gimicky ones in Mario Party... 8, was it?).

But you are right, that with JUST the gamepad, it is just a really big DS. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

But the 4 other people playing aren't using gamepads are they, they're using wiimotes, so you might as well be playing a wii.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2012, 07:49 »

Ah, I see what you're getting at. It's still an asymmetrical gameplay experience. The competitive games in Nintendo Land, for example, tend to match the gamepad player against the 1-4 wiimote players. Both sets of players have different views and advantages (including hidden information), which you can't do with the Wii (at least, I can't see it done on the Wii).

But again, it will all depend on how developers decide to run with it. These games could end up being the exception, rather than the rule, though I hope that's not the case.

What game did you play at the store?

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:10 »

Ah, I see what you're getting at. It's still an asymmetrical gameplay experience. The competitive games in Nintendo Land, for example, tend to match the gamepad player against the 1-4 wiimote players. Both sets of players have different views and advantages (including hidden information), which you can't do with the Wii (at least, I can't see it done on the Wii).

But again, it will all depend on how developers decide to run with it. These games could end up being the exception, rather than the rule, though I hope that's not the case.

What game did you play at the store?

The new Rayman game, it was fun.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2012, 11:36 »

The new Rayman game - the demo of which only contains Rayman in half of one of the levels.

-_-
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up