THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a New Year's Resolutions thread yet?  (Read 21977 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: Do we have a New Year's Resolutions thread yet?
« Reply #100 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:32 »

Urrrgh...I didn't even realize that something like that was possible! I get sinus infections fairly regularly. Used to be about twice a year- getting better slowly but surely since I can distinguish sinus infection-y sick from regular sick and run as fast as I can do a doc. But no one has ever said anything to me about puncturing sinuses. That's terrifying!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #101 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:56 »

Um ok seriously guys, does the USA not have informed consent laws?! If a doctor straight-up told me that they hadn't explained the procedure in case I didn't want to go ahead with it, I would be on the phone to a lawyer and I'm not from the famously-lawyer-happy country!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #102 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:38 »

They throw so many things at you when you go into the doctor's office, it ain't funny.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #103 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:50 »

I'm sure if they asked the doctor directly they would have to answer truthfully. But not asking means the doctor didn't feel the need to explain it all. Not exactly a good thing but I would think it's technically legal.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #104 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:08 »

In the UK, every procedure requires informed consent. That means that the patient knows what the procedure entails, why it would be offered, and what the risks are of both having it performed, and not having it performed. They must have the opportunity to refuse, and the only time that refusal can be overruled is if the person has lost the capacity to consent and the treatment is in their best interests.

Obviously the amount of detail that needs to be gone into depends on the nature of the procedure. For something like listening to a heartbeat with a stethoscope, a simple "can I listen to your heartbeat?" whilst holding/indicating the stethoscope would be enough. Sticking a needle into someone's face? That definitely needs explaining and getting consent, to the extent of "this is what I'll do, this is why I'll do it, do I have your permission to do it?".

Take ownership of your autonomy, people! Doctors do not always know best, and even if they do, you have the right to know about it too! This isn't the 1940s.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #105 on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:16 »

Hmm, never really thought about it.
The procedure isn't a big deal, from what I can google it may be done if an infection of the sinuses persists for 10-14 days to ventilate the sinuses and aply antibiotics. Which wasn't done, because it turned out it wasn't so bad after all.
But I know jack shit about the legal ramifications and I don't really care.
I mean, I just trust that woman to know what´s best to do about my breathing apperatus and everything attached to it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #106 on: 18 Jan 2013, 09:13 »

I guess that studying medical law means that I don't trust doctors as much as most people. Also, wanting to be a midwife means believing strongly in the importance of informed consent, autonomy, and leaving things the fuck alone if that's what the person whose body it is wants.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #107 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:26 »

In the UK, every procedure requires informed consent. That means that the patient knows what the procedure entails, why it would be offered, and what the risks are of both having it performed, and not having it performed. They must have the opportunity to refuse, and the only time that refusal can be overruled is if the person has lost the capacity to consent and the treatment is in their best interests.

Our healthcare system leaves so much to be desired......the typical risks I hear about are the ones that will happen if I DON'T get the procedure/meds/etc that they are sending my way. And I don't know if this is just my personal guilt filling every aspect of my life, but I always feel like I did something wrong to end up at the doctor's office in the first place.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Zingoleb

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:49 »

When I was stuck in the ER earlier I had a doctor asking me stuff about my junk after he found out I was trans. I was pretty purposefully vague because he had exactly zero right to know, since it had nothing to do with why I was admitted.

Well, he gave me an 'examination' afterwards that mostly consisted of him finding out what I had between my legs. He said, "That's what I thought," and walked away. I asked him what the purpose of that was, and he just laughed, shook his head, and kept walking.

Fuck doctors.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:03 »

Said doctor shouldn't be allowed to practice ever again... I'm so sorry that happened to you, Uni. I don't suppose there was a way to report him for misusing his authority?

Zingoleb

« Reply #110 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:16 »

I have, though I severely doubt it'll change anything.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #111 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:19 »

At the risk of teaching the proverbial grandmother to suck eggs: did you tell him to get bent at any point during this?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:28 »

Given that I was in the hospital because I was considered a "danger to [my]self or others," I think acting out against the physician might have backfired against me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #113 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:29 »

We have informed consent in the form a ridiculously long document in fine print that you have to sign before a procedure that outlines everything that can go wrong and holds the doctor and hospital blameless except for obvious negligence and intentional damage. 

No one actually reads the damn things, though.  They're written by lawyers, for lawyers. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #114 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:30 »

Good point. Maybe find multiple ways to report him? You can contact the state medical board about it, and the group he works for, and the hospital, and possibly even the American Board for whatever his specialty is.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #115 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:39 »

that outlines everything that can go wrong

As I was being wheeled from the ambulance to the theatre for my angioplasty and stent, the surgeon walked beside me saying something like "We're going to poke a tube into your heart arteries and expand a balloon through it; the mortality rate is about 1%; sign here".  Subtext: "sign here, or die anyway".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #116 on: 18 Jan 2013, 21:25 »

Good point. Maybe find multiple ways to report him? You can contact the state medical board about it, and the group he works for, and the hospital, and possibly even the American Board for whatever his specialty is.

Or you could go the grassroots method and publish his info and what he did on 4chan, and let the hivemind do your dirty work.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #117 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:41 »

I wouldn't go down that route until it's clear that the authorities aren't doing anything about it because it would probably ruin any legal proceedings.

That is absolutely appalling and if I could, I would kick up a fuss on your behalf. And/or punch them in the face.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #118 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:42 »

Yeah I kind of want to kick someone's ass for you, Unicorn.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:05 »

I wouldn't go down that route until it's clear that the authorities aren't doing anything about it because it would probably ruin any legal proceedings.

Understandable.

Report him to the State Medical Board...I'm assuming you live in a state with actual common-sense people on the board, not one of those theocratic bible-thumpin' states. Good luck either way.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #120 on: 19 Jan 2013, 06:25 »

Add me to the list of would-be ass kickers.

I mean seriously, the thought of pulling my pants down for a doc is awkward enough. There should never be the concern that I'm doing it for their benefit and not my own. I hope the guy gets what's coming to him somehow and that your regular doctor at least treats you with the respect you deserve.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #121 on: 19 Jan 2013, 07:41 »

Well as you will surely know, at birth all English people are injected with a dose of mad cow disease in order to produce herd immunity.
(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #122 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:41 »

I'm not allowed to give blood here because I am English. Seriously, even though I've lived here for most of my life.
It specifically says 'no people born in England'

Does it give a reason? What if your parents, grandparents, great^n-parents were Belgian by birth but your mother happened to be in England when you were born?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #123 on: 19 Jan 2013, 13:30 »

Unicorn, that is appalling and I don't like threatening violence but that person need to get punched.

Papersatan

« Reply #124 on: 19 Jan 2013, 13:56 »

On the topic of informed consent and medical malpractice.

When my father was hospitalize last year I went home for a few weeks to be with my family.  I have discussed my father's illness here before, but for those of you who are new or missed it: My father had a sore under his compression stocking which became infected.  The infection spread to his muscle and ultimately to his blood, putting him on the edge of death for several months.  He was in an induced coma, and they did a series of operations to removed dead and infected tissue from his leg.  At first this was done bedside, but it became clear that he would need to be transferred to an OR for actual surgery. 
The doctor and his two residents came to explain the procedure to my mother and then the resident pulled out the consent from and started reading it outloud to my mother to make sure she understands it.  "This form gives Hospital permission to perform procedure on the left leg of.... blah blah risks, benefits"
I look at the paper, then at my father, and then I stand at the foot of my father's bed, facing away from him, I look back at his bad leg, hold up my hands "left hand makes an "L" ", and then let out an "uuuuhhhhhh"

"It is his right leg....."

"What?"

"That form is for his left leg, his right leg needs the surgery"

"Oh! let me fix that, I'll be right back."

Now, I would like to think it would have been clear when they got to the OR, that it was the leg with a necrotic wound dripping puss that needed the surgery, but his other leg was not in great shape really, and my poor mother holding back tears and being brave and signing the forms hadn't noticed, and the doctor who had just looked at his leg hadn't noticed... 

Apparently this sort of mix up happens all the time.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #125 on: 19 Jan 2013, 16:04 »

Which is why, when my wife's knee was operated on, she wrote "THE OTHER KNEE, STUPID" on the wrong one with a sharpie. 

Even though the doctor is an old family friend.  At least he got a laugh out of it!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #126 on: 19 Jan 2013, 19:51 »

From what little I know, the correct leg/arm/side/whatever is often marked, and the incorrect one as well, so there is no mix-up when the patient is out of it.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #127 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:37 »

True, usually by the surgeon while the patient is still conscious before being prepped.  My wife just beat him to the punch - that's how we knew he got a laugh out of it. 

Papersatan

« Reply #128 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:47 »

And in my father's case, he was not able to give input.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #129 on: 19 Jan 2013, 21:52 »

Good thing someone was...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #130 on: 19 Jan 2013, 23:49 »

From what little I know, the correct leg/arm/side/whatever is often marked, and the incorrect one as well, so there is no mix-up when the patient is out of it.

Yeah, my father (RN for years) told me they literally write "NOT THIS LEG" in big bold obnoxious sharpie, all over the leg they're keeping.
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up