THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy new year, you cunts  (Read 17954 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Happy new year, you cunts
« on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:15 »

I love you all.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Re: Happy new year, you cunts
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:32 »

Happy New Year, all of you intensely lovely people.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:34 »

~!*~!*~!**~~FUCK YOU~~**!~*!~*!~
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:34 »

IT'S MY GODDAMN BIRTHDAY YOU FUCKS

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:35 »

WHERE'S MY MOTHER FUCKING GOD DAMN CAKE YOU PIECES OF CUNT

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2012, 17:55 »

I got all purttied up:

I made a bunch of food things:

I procured  a bunch of drink things:

Updates sure to follow in the Not Sober thread.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2013, 01:58 »

People who are drunk do some crazy, wild stuff apparently, like sleeping with strangers and jumping of buildings into pools. Not that stuff like that happens to me. I apparently sit down at 4 AM and start translating Iron and Wine songs into Swedish.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2013, 01:58 »

Uh, and happy new year you guys!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2013, 00:24 »

People who are drunk do some crazy, wild stuff apparently, like sleeping with strangers and jumping of buildings into pools. Not that stuff like that happens to me. I apparently sit down at 4 AM and start translating Iron and Wine songs into Swedish.
Never heard of them. But at least it's not a tired cliche like falling asleep with strangers and jumping of buildings.
My Art.

Zingoleb

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2013, 00:34 »

how are you on these forums without ever having heard of iron and wine

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2013, 00:57 »

... just lucky, I guess?

Just youtubed. Nothing I'm interested in.
My Art.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2013, 01:12 »

Double  :psyduck:. "Falling asleep" with strangers? Is that what "sleeping with" means these days? I've been trying hard not to drop the F-bomb so much anymore.. I notice foreigners like me do that at weird and inappropriate places. But I guess I have to say it. Fucking. I was talking about fucking strangers.

Also, how have you not heard fucking Iron and Wine maaaannn!  :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2013, 01:33 »

he's established his poor taste repeatedly

what did you listen to, anyways? there's a pretty big split in early/later work (from folk to...experimental, almost, I guess)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2013, 04:47 »

I translated He Lays In The Reins, that song he did with Calexico. Pretty happy with it and will probably start playing it to people.  :-D

My favorite stuff usually comes from Our Endless Numbered Days, though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jan 2013, 05:43 »

Double  :psyduck:. "Falling asleep" with strangers? Is that what "sleeping with" means these days? I've been trying hard not to drop the F-bomb so much anymore.. I notice foreigners like me do that at weird and inappropriate places. But I guess I have to say it. Fucking. I was talking about fucking strangers.
No, my bad. Too hasty in reading.

And as far as I'm concerned I have perfect taste. For me. And that's all I claim. I'm sure you have perfect taste for you too.
My Art.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jan 2013, 07:46 »

My favorite stuff usually comes from Our Endless Numbered Days, though.

I think my absolute favorite song by them is the beautiful cover of Such Great Heights, but I agree- Endless is wonderful.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2013, 09:57 »

BeoPuppy: Nothing to do with taste. It's just pretty weird that you've never heard of 'em. But I guess it's a silly thing to assume in the end.

lepetitfromage: again, are we related? I will ask you for a blood sample sometime soon.

Zingoleb

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2013, 16:22 »

Our Endless Numbered Days probably did more to change me more than any other album (with the exception, perhaps, of getting Dark Side of the Moon at 12). My favourite is still Woman King, though - I just wish it were longer.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2013, 19:15 »

Happy new year indeed...Papersatan, do you have any of that dip left? You can just pour it into an envelope and fedex it to me...yeah, that'll work nicely.

I have a craving for snacks...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jan 2013, 20:05 »

Oddly enough, not a single picture of my girlfriend and I at Kat and Steve's house

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 02 Jan 2013, 20:29 »

Well, it's January 3rd here, but happy frakin' new year anyway.    :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jan 2013, 01:08 »

I apparently sit down at 4 AM and start translating Iron and Wine songs into Swedish.

You mean you don't start uncontrollably sobbing, singing along out of key, then worry about your neighbors being able to hear you?

Because... that's totally not what I do... ever.  ahem.

Zingoleb

« Reply #23 on: 03 Jan 2013, 01:10 »

I don't do that either. I've stopped giving a fuck what people think about me, actually.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jan 2013, 01:22 »

I wish I could do that, but after a former landlord evicted me for some guy who showed up drunk and pissed in our stairway all the time (a complete stranger to me - seriously had no clue who the fuck he was), I always get terrified of disturbing my neighbors, lest they report me for some bullshit I didn't do.  I like this apartment, and I try to be all punk-rock, but authority figures terrify me, and I cry very easily.  I got issues!  and vodka!  fuck everyone and happy new year!

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jan 2013, 07:42 »

idontunderstand- I am definitely beginning to suspect that as well......Hmm.

Re: singing- I used to be terrified of anyone hearing me sing, but now I just don't give a crap. I like to sing and I'm not usually louder than the music I'm singing along to, so if they don't like my music, then fuck them. I have to listen to their shitty rap* all the time.

(To clarify- while it's not my genre of choice, I don't believe that ALL rap sucks. Just the rap that my neighbors listen to.)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jan 2013, 10:42 »

I've mastered singing so quiet that no one can hear me but myself. They just see my lips moving.

Papersatan

« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2013, 15:21 »

Oddly enough, not a single picture of my girlfriend and I at Kat and Steve's house

Yeah I took all the pics before you arrived.  While I was doing it Stephen accused me of all sorts of terrible sins.  (I think he called me an instagramer or something? ;P)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:41 »

I've stopped getting embarrassed when people catch me singing at full blast with headphones on. Mostly because I know I don't suck at singing.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2013, 15:03 »

I honestly believe that very, very few people do suck at singing. Many people just don't sing often enough to discover how good they are. I'm a good singer, because hundreds of pounds are spent every year making me a good singer, and I sing for at least ten hours a week. If you can speak, you can sing. If you sing, you will sing better. So good. Sing full blast all the time!
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 04:35 by Barmymoo »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2013, 18:42 »

Unfortunately, it's not true.  My mother is 100% verifiably tone deaf.  She can't recognize the national anthem without the words.  No sense of rhythm, either.  My father's very musical, always playing and singing along with opera around the house. 

Their 4 boys (I'm the oldest) are split 2+2.  I and my youngest brother can sing and play instruments (he plays bass professionally).  The other two?  Not completely tone deaf, but they couldn't carry a tune if they had a bucket.  We've tried, for ages.  They can't hear themselves when they try to sing - I don't know if it's a mental block or an actual auditory or nerve problem, but they just can't hear themselves to match a pitch. 

So it's nice to think that anyone can sing, but it really isn't true. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2013, 04:37 »

That's why I said very few people suck (actually I said "such", but I've edited it now). Tone deafness is real and I think it's genetic, but it's rarer than people think. A lot of people say "oh, I'm tone deaf" but what they mean is "I haven't ever been taught how to get my voice to replicate the sound I can hear in my head". Not the same thing. Some people are certainly more musical than others, but anyone who can hear music can sing better with practice.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:25 »

The girl I'm kinda talking to swears up and down that she's a bad singer, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Those are the cases that bum me out more than tone-deaf people who think they can sing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:57 »

You're one to talk, Pat.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:08 »

Thoughts on carrying a tune, in or out of a bucket:
My sense of pitch is pretty good. In a high school boys' chorus, I could take my whole section off pitch for a few seconds by singing a quarter-tone off, or even less. The teacher would look in our direction with a puzzled expression. But many years later, trying to learn a part, I used a tape deck and headphones. Clara gently suggested I stop singing as I listened. She had pitch problems, but she could tell that I was kind of toneless. I couldn't hear myself, I guess.
I never sang to my daughter  when she was little and she didn't have very good pitch as a child. When she was about 8, I read an article by a Detroit-area choir director in an Episcopal church with a men and boys' chorus. He said any child could learn to sing on pitch up to 10 or so. It was just about then that I noticed my daughter was able to carry a tune. She later sang in her college chorus.
Tonelessness is an interesting phenomenon. Some people don't come close. My wife seemed to carry a tune in the middle of her range, but couldn't seem to reach even a little. My first wife was worse. It would have been a pleasure to be able to sing with a spouse.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:14 »

I have more or less perfect pitch when it comes to pure hearing, but I can't hit the right notes. Very limited voice span, I guess. Also it's probably nervousness. My parents swear I could whistle perfectly on pitch (or should that be in pitch?) when I was a toddler, but I seemed to lose it as I grew older.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:15 »

If you can hear a note and know what it is, then with singing lessons you'd be able to sing them. Unless there's something wrong with your voice physiologically - there was with mine for a while, I had speech therapy for it.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:20 »

You know, I'd love to, but I hate singing scales. And I don't like the sound of my voice. I have this nasal, squeaky 13-year old boy voice. I realize that vocal training may change that but...

to be honest, I dislike how "trained" singers sound too. That "big" operatic voice with "rich vibrato" and stuff. Can't stand it. I like a natural singer who just... sings, without being pretentious.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:35 »

I enjoy big operatic voices doing opera, but when an opera singer applies that voice to some other genre, it doesn't usually fit. An exception for me is an opera singer singing a collection of songs with orchestra, such as a baritone singing Aaron Copland's American songs.  Opera singers have excellent control of vibrato. It's often a problem in, say, church choirs, and sometimes in my a cappella group. My group had roots in a madrigal tradition, and no vibrato seems to work better there.
And I never had voice training, and never "learned" how to sing with vibrato.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:45 »

I haven't sung a scale in my life, and I don't sound anything like an opera singer. I sound like myself, except with fancier vowels (by-product of living in the south more than anything else) and a three octave range. A good singing teacher teaches you how to produce the sound you want, not how to be Pavarotti.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2013, 09:20 »

The alternative to singing scales is just singing things in different keys that are in your range, which is what I did. I grew my range by singing stuff at the top of my range until eventually my voice was comfortable there, and then once it was comfortable there I could move it higher.

I also learned to fill my lungs when singing.

None of these talents have been retained by me in the last few years as my Soundcloud will attest. I miss when I had a load of range and a load of power. I used to be able to fill a few-hundred-seater room without a mic.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:13 »

May: Hard to find a singing teacher like that 'round this place. But I believe you. I've had choir teachers before and the only thing they taught me was these ridiculous warming-up exercises, which I both dislike and which doesn't seem to do anything for me that just singing a simple tune I know well won't do.

"Opera singer" is a bit strong.. I just mean that, and please don't take offense :-P, that trained singers seem to go for sounding "professional" rather than original, which just bothers me. I don't want to sound like that.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:17 »

I developed an appreciation of opera in the last 20 years, more so in the last four, even to watching the Ring Cycle in local theaters live from the Metropolitan. I take it as it is, a stylized form of acting and singing, sometimes ludicrous if you step outside the acceptance zone, but very affecting when music and acting come together. I've heard moments of Chinese opera, and it's utterly strange. I assume that to Chinese ears, it's also highly stylized, and I try to apply that to understand why the music I like is so hard for so many others to like.
In any case, operatic voices singing in European and American opera work for me. Such voices singing other music usually does not work for me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:23 »

I don't take offense at all, I feel the same way. When I sing with/for the choir, I do try to blend in and sound like everyone else because that's the nature of a choir, particularly one in the Anglican choral tradition. But when I sing my own stuff, usually folk music, I use the technique I've been taught to sing in my own way, just better - I have more control over the sound, I have better breath control and I can project more. Surely there must be singing teachers somewhere near you? I'm not saying you have to have lessons, by any means, just that if you want to learn how to be more in control of the sound you produce, it's useful to have some tips.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:30 »

I'd like to have learned breath control, perhaps how to introduce a little vibrato at the end of a held note, and to have retained my tenor range, which disappeared after I took a couple of years off singing. But I doubt I have many more years of choral performing. Maybe if I study to pass calculus I'll take voice lessons too.
In any case, I was quite happy not to have a voice that sounded like that of a professional soloist. I don't like the thought of soloing, although I suppose if I had more respect for my solo voice I might have felt differently.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #45 on: 13 Jan 2013, 16:51 »

One great way to learn breath control is to sing songs that you know you have the lung capacity to sing normally, then sing them just saying the letter Z and try to hold the notes the same length. Your breath control and capacity (and therefore your note sustain) will improve dramatically.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:41 »

Singing lessons: What I definitely need is practice, teacher or no teacher. I play more than I sing now, but that's bound to change.. I'm forming a band and I plan to sneak into singing duties soon.. I know about diaphragm, head/chest voice, how to make your voice more powerful etc., I'm just not very comfortable with it, since I always get this mental image of Sinatra going whenever my voice starts sounding more deep and powerful. I've been completely smitten with Elliott Smith for 2 years now and it's probably damaged me. I want to sound like that but I need to realize that only he could..

tl;dr: I think too much and should just suck it up and practice.

Opera-style music: I don't mind it! I just don't want to try to do it.  :-P Both because I'd make a complete and total ass out of myself and because there's other stuff I like more..

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jan 2013, 12:59 »

[...](by-product of living in the south more than anything else) [...]

When did livn down yur make vowels all fancy-like? We'm a bunch a wurzels down yur me luvver.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jan 2013, 15:20 »

Except those of us who speak pure RP...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jan 2013, 01:16 »

Haha yeah I didn't really mean "south", I meant "Cambridge".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up