THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy new year, you cunts  (Read 17956 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Happy new year, you cunts
« Reply #50 on: 19 Jan 2013, 11:52 »

Singing lessons: What I definitely need is practice, teacher or no teacher. I play more than I sing now, but that's bound to change.. I'm forming a band and I plan to sneak into singing duties soon.. I know about diaphragm, head/chest voice, how to make your voice more powerful etc., I'm just not very comfortable with it, since I always get this mental image of Sinatra going whenever my voice starts sounding more deep and powerful. I've been completely smitten with Elliott Smith for 2 years now and it's probably damaged me. I want to sound like that but I need to realize that only he could..

tl;dr: I think too much and should just suck it up and practice.

Food for thought: the two complaints I get from people hearing Elliott Smith for the first time are 1. his songs are all so god damn heartbreaking, and 2. his voice is so thin and airy and it sounds like he doesn't even want to be heard. Popular music success depends on strong vocals. I don't know what style you want to dive into but having a strong voice isn't a bad thing at all. Look at Lennon!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Happy new year, you cunts
« Reply #51 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:43 »

And yet, a couple of the songs he was best remembered for he later admitted he was just yelling out the lyrics (see "Twist And Shout").
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 19 Jan 2013, 13:00 »

Patrick: I know what you're saying. You really think Lennon had a strong voice though? He is probably my favorite male vocalist but I've always seen him as more.. thin but also sharp and forceful. I'd guess Smith was seriously inspired by him.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #53 on: 19 Jan 2013, 13:40 »

Lennon had quite a thick tone, but he didn't have a lot of range.

Not in notes, anyway, he had a variety of voices.

And he was also quick to downplay his own achievements. That 'Twist And Shout' yelling voice was one he came back to later. There's a documentary about him making Imagine where you see him deliberately using that razor-edged voice for a song and shouting at the producer for fucking the take up because 'this Eddie Cochran voice doesn't fucking last forever'.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jan 2013, 14:01 »

He has enough range for me at least, he could grab really dark notes and scream out some pretty high ones. I fucking LOVE his screaming, gah. But I guess he wasn't the most proficient singer. He lost a lot of voice after the Beatles had split, too. Imagine and Plastic Ono Band were the last records where he still had it going.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #55 on: 19 Jan 2013, 15:48 »

I'm not saying he had a small range, it was good, but Lennon was a great VOCALIST rather than a great singer.

Same as Elvis. Elvis has a reasonable range, nothing spectacular, but where it sat on the scale as far as baritone and tenor was quite odd.

For legitimate range and power, you need someone like Freddie Mercury or George Michael. They had a huge range, both of them, and some real thickness in their notes too. At the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert you'll note that George is the ONLY person who can even slightly keep up with Freddie's songs.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jan 2013, 00:01 »

An old Freddy Mercury trick: swallow a glob of Vaseline
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper