THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb/12/2013  (Read 5500 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb/12/2013
« on: 01 Jan 2013, 20:19 »

Trailer looks interesting

but this video makes me drool!  When you have a studio so invested and in love with the source material, it really shines!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb/12/2013
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2013, 10:45 »

looks good! multiplayer should be fantastic!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2013, 14:42 »

Fuck yeah. . .
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2013, 22:04 »

Looking forward to the game. It looks like they're finding that nice balance between the tense solo atmosphere, and giant frenetic firefight atmosphere. I'm cautiously optimistic, thought that's still a lot of runoff of smashed trust from Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm a huge Brothers in Arms and Borderlands fanboy, so I naturally bought Duke Nukem Forever based off of Pitchford's/Gearbox's excitement, and a recommendation from a friend. I'm still pretty angry at that, because a great game-making company like Gearbox definitely knew how crap DNF was when they were handed the torch, yet they still threw a lot of energy behind pumping it up as a great savior of shooters.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:25 »

Gregorio

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 22:41 »

I refuse to watch any Youtuber with "angry" in their name. I've done my research, and I will definitely get it at some point.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:32 »

Judging from the video it looks like all the other Alien shooters right back to that one I played as a teen (you know.. the DOS one, not the shitty console ones).
So, more of the same, I guess.

Heh.. look at me complaining about the mother of all gritty spacemarine-em-ups being a mainstreamy gritty spacemarineshooter. :psyduck:

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:28 »

Well, that was. . . . disappointing.

Finished it the day I bought it and. . . I thought I was having fun, but then I realized all I was getting was a cheap and empty thrill. Like listening to Nickelback.

Here's to hoping dead space 3 ain't so bad.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:44 »

I always want to like things in this setting. Mostly I'm vaguely disappointed.

Though the last AvP(vH) from a couple years ago was fun zooming around as the xenomorph. Though truthfully the Batman: Arkham series did it better.

Gregorio

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2013, 23:47 »

Jesus, what a mess. Didn't play it, but man. I really want to see Pitchford do or say something. He always seems to want to please his fans, and we let him slink away from Duke Nukem Forever. I want to see someone either at Gearbox or Timegate to eat crow over it.

EDIT: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2013, 00:45 by Gregorio »

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:52 »

I'd heard about the EGM review but not actually read it until now.

Wow.

Like the credibility of games journalism wasn't shaky enough as it is.

Edit:

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:52 »

Is...  Is that in game footage?  Because there can be no excuse for that whatsoever.

So glad I didn't pick this up the other day, because I was going to.

:meh:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:42 »

"Sup Bob! Yeah, just moseyin' about the ol' hive here."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2013, 14:36 »

yup, its a new type of alien that only kills you if you move. basically like TV tag.

Angry Joe pretty much sums it up.  The multiplayer is a lot of fun though.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2013, 00:38 »

I'm really glad this game came out, it's quickly becoming a comedy goldmine.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2013, 07:15 »

easter egg in game...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:55 »

Its a little (ok, really) disappointing that various versions of this game have been shown since around 2001 and the best they can come up with is xenomorphs shuffling awkwardly towards you....

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2013, 14:32 »

Damn. There really is zero excuse for this!

It would've been better just to be a Prometheus tie-in and you play the majority of the game as David's dismembered head. Your main objective? Sassy radio contact with Shaw and various dialogues at the end of the game explaining why exactly you're going off to find more of the same creature that just tried to kill you.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2013, 15:21 »

Apparently, Kotaku has several things to say about how and why A:CM turned to C:ACK

Basically, a lot of handing around and not a lot of communicating from the parties involved.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2013, 20:17 »

So I got this for my little brother for his birthday, and I'm watching this scene right now. This actually happens.

This game.

this fucking game

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2013, 00:08 »

So, the Dev and publishers are now being sued for the MASSIVE disparity between the game and the trailer. Thoughts? I'm going for justified here, false advertising is false advertising.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2013, 00:17 »

I say justified, but it might have some rather nasty industry consequences. At best, I'm hoping the charges will stick and maybe finally get the publishers to stop with so much of the obvious marketing bullshit that saturates every single game marketing campaign. At worst, they win and get to continue what they were already doing.

The problem is its going to be realllllly difficult to convince a court that it was intentional, outside of marketing norms. Especially in a way that doesn't just come off as 'it wasn't as good as I'd hoped'.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2013, 00:22 »

Sounds like the lawyer at the helm of the case really knows his shit though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2013, 05:05 »

Dohohohohohoho...my inner social troll hopes this works. We'll see though.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2013, 06:28 »

There should be the hope that it doesn't prevent people from trying to make games on old franchises though. As much as I want these guys reamed, I don't want developers going "Hey, why don't we try to do a game for this franchise?"

"Maybe, but you remember Colonial Marines? If we fuck up like they do, we could get our asses sued shut."

So hoping for a middle ground, y'know?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2013, 06:58 »

This lawsuit is not about this game not being a proper Aliens game. It's about the game not looking nearly as good as the promotional videos would have us believe. The same thing could have happened to a big-budget game based on a completely new IP.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2013, 07:00 »

exactly.  The gameplay videos from e3 showed "actual gameplay" and when the game came out, none of what they showed was in the game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2013, 09:09 »

And what was in the game looked and played completely different then anything in the trailer.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2013, 14:00 »

ANd that's all true. I should know. I payed actual money for it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2013, 14:25 »

ANd that's all true. I should know. I payed actual money for it.
same.  It was an okay game but nothing on what they showed/promised.  I rather enjoyed the L4D mode in multiplayer though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up