THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: So I'm quitting smoking  (Read 61950 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
So I'm quitting smoking
« on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:17 »

And fuck all of you I will murder someone.

I've had one cigarette in two days. Being at work is the hardest, because I have so much time to think to myself.

FUCK ALL OF YOU
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: So I'm quitting smoking
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:24 »

You didn't ask for advice:

(click to show/hide)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:29 »

I quit five years ago. I'm on the level now where I can have one at a party or something without any serious cravings.

My method was slapping myself over the mouth each time I wanted one, btw. I dunno why but it worked. Also, training like a crazed wild boar helped.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:37 »

That cleaning idea would work if I had, you know, any money.

Funnily enough I can barely afford cigarettes  :mrgreen:

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2013, 13:14 »

There's some pill my mom took when she wanted to quit, basically it fucks your brain into not having the craving at all so you get through it super easily.

Dunno if you have pills in the UK though.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jan 2013, 13:30 »

No, we still take everything rectally via horse dicks.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2013, 14:55 »

Attempting to beam positive energy your way. It's a bitch, but I know that you can do it. Even if you need to spend some time frothing at the mouth and screaming FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK on occasion to do it. :p

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jan 2013, 19:02 »

There's some pill my mom took when she wanted to quit, basically it fucks your brain into not having the craving at all so you get through it super easily.

Dunno if you have pills in the UK though.

Champix. That's the UK trade name for it, anyway. It's a 3-month regimen that most people I've spoken with (patients that I personally interacted with on a regular basis) said it actually does work. Some of then said it made then kinda moody, but quitting smoking will do that to you either way.

In the United States, it's actually cheaper per month than cigarettes, assuming someone normally smokes one pack per day. I have no idea what the prescription price is in the UK, nor have I knowledge of current cig prices there...in Connecticut, cigs are about $7.50 per pack on average, and the medicine is about $140 per month, for the three months.

Other than that bit of information, I can tell you that my grandmother, who had been smoking for over 50 years, stopped cold turkey after hemorrhaging a vein. The vein wall's brittleness was attributed to smoking. She's a cranky racist old coot now, but she was a cranky racist old coot before, so not much has changed apart from the smell of her house.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan 2013, 02:34 »

Good luck.

I used patches to quit. Something for you?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jan 2013, 02:57 »

I´m prone to sinus-infections and stuff like that so I quit loads of times when I was too sick to smoke. Sometimes for up to a year until I took it up again.
There´s half a pack of American Spirits been sitting on my desk for like 2 weeks now and I smoked maybe 2.
Even without the sore throat I´d smoke like a pack a week or less.
Not great, but could be worse.
*cough cough*

I don't smoke in my flat becaus ironically I hate the smell of stale tabacco smell.

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan 2013, 08:21 »

Read this. I know it's written pretty repetitively and overly simplified to reach a wider audience but it's great. I quit the night I finished it.
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2013, 09:04 »

I'm feeling reasonably confident about it right now and I want to go as hardcore on this as I can, so I'm flying solo for the minute. I'm using gum. Non-nicotine, but gum nonetheless.

I've had three cigarettes in three days, which for anyone keeping count means I had two today. I kind of cheated my system by having two at work, and I hated myself for it.

But I am still feeling reasonably confident!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2013, 09:12 »

Hating yourself for cheating is a positive thing. 

My parent's quit in '67, the week the surgeon general's warning came out.  Cold turkey.  And they were both pretty heavy (mom was a pack and a half, dad two packs a day). 

Read this. I know it's written pretty repetitively and overly simplified to reach a wider audience but it's great. I quit the night I finished it.

What's he do, talk about what's in a cigarette?  The way Upton Sinclair made everyone a vegetarian with The Jungle
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2013, 19:27 »

Statistically speaking, Gareth, you're doing better than most. By my count you can probably be cleared off by the end of January at the latest. (unprofessional opinion, I have never smoked so I have no grounds to base it on)

What's he do, talk about what's in a cigarette?  The way Upton Sinclair made everyone a vegetarian with The Jungle

Yum yum, sawdust chicken bits. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jan 2013, 03:57 »

So I had four cigarettes yesterday.

Also saw the ex yesterday.

These things are fuckin' related. Back to square one today...

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jan 2013, 05:21 »

Not back to square one! Every cigarette you didn't smoke since you started giving up is progress. It doesn't have to be immediate cold turkey to be an improvement.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2013, 06:34 »

When you see a positive change (food is more flavorful, etc.) let yourself dwell on it. Give yourself rewards: notice that the best dog trainers emphasize positive reinforcement. You're not a dog but you're rewiring brain parts that are not specifically human.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jan 2013, 09:04 »

Had just one today, aiming to keep it that way.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jan 2013, 20:58 »

I'm doing well on not smoking as many today too, so far I'm at 2. An interesting thing that my friend pointed out to me (she quit smoking) is that it was easier to say no to smoking a cigarette when the option of smoking was still there. Her thought process was that without having a few in a pack, she wouldn't think, "Oh shit, I don't have cigarettes, I need to buy some and smoke one immediately." She would instead just focus on not smoking one.

Idk if that'll help us but it helped her. I'm right there with you on starting to quit man, thanks for making a thread on the matter.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jan 2013, 22:07 »

I'm hesitant to say that I used to have a smoking habit myself, because if I did it was not nearly on the same level as most folks I've known who were focusing on quitting. But I do remember the point about a year ago when I realized I was smoking at least two cigarettes every work day, and I worked a minimum of four days a week.

And I remember how extra-snippy I felt the next week with zero cigarettes. It wasn't much, but it seemed noticeable to me.

Anyway, keep on, brother: you can do this!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jan 2013, 03:29 »

On the flipside to Patrick's suggestion, I'm trying to break an eating addiction which isn't quite the same since obviously you do have to eat but not necessary three bars of chocolate in a day or a whole packet of biscuits or whatever... anyway if I have even a hint of a biscuit or ice cream in my vicinity I obsess about it until I snap and eat it. So personally I'd have to get rid of all cigarettes and then exert my willpower towards not buying more, rather than not smoking the ones I had.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jan 2013, 04:19 »

It does seem a bit counter intuitive that it would be easier to resist something that's right there...

But that's the difference between an addiction and a problem, I think.  The addict is comforted just by having the target nearby. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jan 2013, 04:25 »

For me it depends on my mindset whether the stuff being there will make me want it more or not, in relation to over-eating. Obviously if it's not there I won't eat it but I will get more anxious about it and a stronger craving. So when I do get something junky to eat later, I'll end up over-doing it. If it's there I can overdo it or think, "I'll have a glass of water first." or "I'll wait until I've finished whatever I'm doing and see if I still want it later."

My parents have tried to quit multiple times. Well my Mammy has, then she's dragged Da in and he'd reluctantly smoke maybe up to five less a day when she had stopped completely and he'd usually end up bringing her back somehow. What really worked for her for a few months was electric cigarettes. Although her filters were the strongest nicotine ones you could get. She would take it out, have one long drag and put it away for a few hours. Plus I think she preferred the look compared to the Nicorette plastic tube things.
Also when I was living at home I could bitch at them to smoke outside, which was their rule but only I really imposed it.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jan 2013, 09:21 »

I saw a hypnotist and quit smoking in 1977 after an estimated 30 pack-years (1 pack a day x 1 year = 1 pack-year). I had just turned 40, my voice was ragged and I'd flunked a re-audition for my choir, although I didn't know that when I quit. My wife continued a pack a day for the next six years, but quit the night before her mastectomy. She'd had basal cell cancer and figured that and breast cancer were enough.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jan 2013, 13:56 »

Had a great day. Smoked once.

Had a horrible phone call from my sister about the divorce. Smoked maybe seven more.

Sigh.

Pat, stay strong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jan 2013, 15:25 »

Look at it this way - before you started to give up, you'd have already smoked at least seven by the time your sister put her enormous great foot in your business.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jan 2013, 16:06 »

That is a FUCKING... astute observation.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 07 Jan 2013, 16:31 »

Indubitably. And when she calls again, tell her, in the famous words of Ice-T, to "Eat a dick."

But say it nicely. Like, "Would you kindly please go and chomp down on a big ol' chode? Thanks, hon."
Worry Hat, Engage!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jan 2013, 16:32 »

So grand total all day yesterday was 4, which beats my usual 15 by a mile. I've had one so far today. Trying to keep it down to 3.

Bluesummers, for a sec I thought you were May and I was like WAIT SHE DOESN'T TALK LIKE THAT  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: and then I realized

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jan 2013, 13:56 »

So yesterday I cheated again and had 2. Today I was determined to stick to 1.

Another of my resolutions was to try to get back into shape, so this evening I finally bullied myself into jogging, by dangling the idea of a second cigarette in front of myself.

Because you know, if I went jogging, I'd earned it, right?

Well, the jog wasn't great, but I hadn't slipped anywhere near as much as I expected to have slipped, and it made my lungs weigh me down like concrete slabs. It actually killed my craving because anything that makes me feel like this from some moderate exercise isn't worth it, and because jogging made me feel good.

I'm going to go do some situps.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 09 Jan 2013, 14:33 »

Good job! I've heard that it helps to replace the thing you're trying to give up with something else - if you replace smoking with jogging, then that is a double health bonus!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jan 2013, 14:45 »

Triple, actually. The more you jog as you quit, the easier it will be to job, as your lungs gain back more and more ability.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jan 2013, 15:01 »

I'm starting to remember all the reasons why smoking is a terrible idea.

I still want to be a casual/drunk smoker. I like the social aspect of it. But I don't want to 'need' to smoke any more.

And I think I'm going to achieve that.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jan 2013, 17:41 »

I've been substituting smoke in my lungs with mucus from whatever infection I've got going on

Pretty effective

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jan 2013, 17:48 »

Yes, delightfully appealing. I'll tell you what I told Welu:

Also, try Vitamin C and Lysine (it's an amino acid...find it near the vitamins at the drug store. It might be labelled "L-Lysine"). It's what my father always recommends...he's a nurse. Together they help to strenthen the immune system, and it's a lot easier than taking a buttload of different pills. If you're already taking a multivitamin on a regular basis, take them anyway. Your body typically utilizes more ascorbic acid (Vit-C) when it needs it, and they're both water-soluble, so any excess is excreted through the urine; you can't O.D. unless you basically chug the bottle.

Doctor's orders.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #36 on: 09 Jan 2013, 17:51 »

I have an orange tree outside and it is currently bearing quite ripe (and large) fruit, I'm good on the vit.C

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2013, 00:40 »

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say I'm really proud of you guys for working toward not smoking anymore. <3 I have heard it is extremely hard to do, and it's plain to see that you've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Congrats on doing so well so far, and I know that you will get to where you want to be. <3 Sending lots of love and support your way! You guys rock! :-D
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2013, 06:04 »

What's he do, talk about what's in a cigarette?  The way Upton Sinclair made everyone a vegetarian with The Jungle?

He talks about why "self help" books that talk about what's in cigarettes or why cigarettes are bad don't work.

I know it's anectodal, but I've been smoking slightly more than a pack every single day since I was 11. I was smoking even while reading the book. I quit after I decided I had my last one and never had or craved another.

The author had been smoking 5 fucking packs a day.

Honestly, it won't take more than an evening of reading. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2013, 06:23 by ibrahimdelil »
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jan 2013, 14:34 »

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say I'm really proud of you guys for working toward not smoking anymore. <3 I have heard it is extremely hard to do, and it's plain to see that you've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Congrats on doing so well so far, and I know that you will get to where you want to be. <3 Sending lots of love and support your way! You guys rock! :-D

You, are motherfuckin' adorable. Come round my place so I can thank you for your encouragement in person. And before doing so, have absolutely no interaction with anyone on this forum whatsoever, including me, because otherwise you'll get scared the fuck off.

Zingoleb

« Reply #40 on: 10 Jan 2013, 14:44 »

don't do it

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jan 2013, 22:57 »

You, are motherfuckin' adorable. Come round my place so I can thank you for your encouragement in person. And before doing so, have absolutely no interaction with anyone on this forum whatsoever, including me, because otherwise you'll get scared the fuck off.
Hee <33 Why, thank you :3 That's one of the best compliments I've ever gotten (but I rarely get those, soooo... :P), and it made me smile. ^.^ I'm glad I stopped by. :)

And I've been standing outside your window for like 20 minutes, dude. You should come out and say hi. :mrgreen:

Formerly LoliButt.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:17 »

vidz plz

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jan 2013, 06:03 »

Wow, Loli just out-creeped Gareth. My mind, she is blown.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:35 »

Wow, Loli just out-creeped Gareth. My mind, she is blown.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jan 2013, 19:34 »

Formerly LoliButt.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2013, 19:48 »

I love that commercial...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jan 2013, 04:02 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up