THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I'm quitting smoking  (Read 61948 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: So I'm quitting smoking
« Reply #200 on: 19 Oct 2013, 11:46 »

Progress is progress brothers.

Plus I can chew gum in my room without opening a window.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #201 on: 20 Oct 2013, 16:13 »

Congrats!!! :3 You're making a good step forward. :)
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #202 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:49 »

Nicotine is a stimulant and is generally bad for your heart, but then so is caffeine.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #203 on: 23 Oct 2013, 11:15 »

That's what I thought - so quite a lot of progress really!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #204 on: 09 Apr 2014, 03:41 »

So today is day one of me quitting again. I've been cutting down for a while, and switching to lower tar cigarettes, but today is the first day of the rest of my life, as they say.

It is so bizarre to me that my lungs hurting, a lingering feeling from the day before, makes me want to smoke MORE, as if it'll somehow alleviate that feeling.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #205 on: 09 Apr 2014, 22:46 »

You can do this!! It's a bumpy road, but I have faith in you!! ^______^

Formerly LoliButt.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #206 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:57 »

Iiiiit's been
One week since I smoked a fag
And in that time I haven't had a single drag
Okay so I smoked a joint
But then tobacco wasn't quite the point

(To the tune of One Week by Barenaked)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #207 on: 15 Apr 2014, 16:51 »

Six months after my last cigarette, ending a pack and a half a day habit, I found an entire pack left on a coffee table as I cleaned up after a party at 3 a.m. I smoked a cigarette and told myself, "I cant do this again." I haven't. Six months after that, at a party, a joint was passed around. I took a drag, and told myself never again, it's too much like inhaling tobacco. I haven't. That was about 36 years ago.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #208 on: 09 May 2014, 02:09 »

Okay, so in the time since I last posted in this thread, I definitely fell off the wagon, HARD. Today I resolve to end this bullshit once and for all, given the recent "smoker's cough" I've finally started to develop after 6 years of being a smoker (my anniversary was this week). I had a cig tonight after hooking up with a handsome young lady, and I can't think of a better time to have my final cig. The symbolism is built in: fuck smoking
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #209 on: 09 May 2014, 02:19 »

Good on ya Pat. I'm a month deep now (aside from a lapse at a party this weekend  :psyduck:) and I feel so much better. My wallet does too!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #210 on: 09 May 2014, 04:09 »

What does a smoking habbit go for these days?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #211 on: 09 May 2014, 04:32 »

Packs around here are in the $7 range, so only more and more pricey.

Pat look into e-cigs, not the shitty ones that look like cigarettes but a good quality vaporizer. Up front cost's a kick in the barrs but the e-liquid's a hell of a lot cheaper then a pack of smokes so it pays for itself in a hurry. My neighbor is a month and a half cigarette free after a pack a day habit for over a decade. She's been trying to quit for years but it looks like she's actually got a solution this time. 
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #212 on: 09 May 2014, 04:33 »

Mine costs me around £60 a month, at a MAJORLY conservative estimate.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #213 on: 09 May 2014, 05:58 »

That's some major cash, right there.

At least, if you don't have a two-pack a day habbit.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #214 on: 09 May 2014, 06:15 »

Depends how you define 'pack.' I was usually a pack of 20 every 2-3 days, which is why my estimate is conservative... very conservative.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #215 on: 09 May 2014, 10:51 »

IIRC one pack - for pack-year calculations - is 20 cigarettes.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #216 on: 12 May 2014, 09:02 »

Here they are close to $10/pack.

We bought some Cheyannes (cigarillo type dealies) for the first time in over 3 years. They used to be about $3 a pack. Now they're $7!!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

BudBriese

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #217 on: 25 Jun 2014, 03:34 »

And fuck all of you I will murder someone.

I've purchased many electronic cigarettes in last two days. Being at work is the hardest, because I have so much time to think to myself.

FUCK ALL OF YOU
Quitting smoking is toughest.. I have tried many at times but not successful yet.. Yes I have decreased it but complete quit seems to be myth..
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2014, 06:40 by Method of Madness »

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #218 on: 28 Jun 2014, 01:18 »

Welcome to the forum!!! ^____^ And good luck! The fact that you're trying to quit is really important, and as long as you continue to try, you will be okay. It seems really tough, but I believe in you. :) You can do i!!!

Formerly LoliButt.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #219 on: 28 Jun 2014, 04:50 »

Spambots don't smoke.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #220 on: 28 Jun 2014, 04:54 »

Eh. Looks not obviously spammy to me (if a bit weirdly worded).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #221 on: 28 Jun 2014, 05:06 »

You didn't notice the link that was edited into Gareth's quote?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #222 on: 28 Jun 2014, 06:53 »

Sneaky bot is sneaky.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #223 on: 28 Jun 2014, 23:15 »

...I thought it was simple underline. Curse you, conflicting semantics of text highlighting on the Internet! Curse you!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #224 on: 10 Aug 2014, 08:05 »

So I got a vaporiser because I tried my buddy's and liked it, and I am now over three days smoke free. Also got an app called QuitNow! which tells me how much money I've saved, how many cigarettes I've not smoked, how much time I've saved not smoking and how long exactly I've not smoked for. It's really useful.

Three days and I feel good.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #225 on: 10 Aug 2014, 08:11 »

Vaping seems to be the key for serious smokers quitting.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #226 on: 10 Aug 2014, 08:43 »

I quit by smoking enough that I was sick of it.  I haven't had a cigarette in about 6 months, and I don't really feel like smoking any more.  I think for me, it was the physical habit of walking outside smoking more than the actual tasty chemicals. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #227 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:20 »

So for an update:

My vaporiser broke shortly before I went to Amsterdam, when I was too nervous to not smoke, so I was back on the fags for a week or two (duty free, man, it'll be the death of any nicotine addict).

However all the time that I was smoking, I missed my vaporiser dearly. I actually prefer it to cigarettes now.

So once I ran out of cigarettes, I went back on the vape and now here I am - 56 days smoke free (sans one joint in that time, which I don't count; it didn't make me want to smoke, at all).

My longest smoke-free period since I started was twelve weeks, which was just cold turkey but I spent that entire time wishing I had them. The vaporiser cuts that out.

By New Year's, I will have been around four months smoke free, possibly more, I've not done the maths, but that would beat my record, and it's at that point that I plan on starting to phase out the vaporiser as well, because even though it saves me a shitload of money (over £200/$400ish in these 56 days alone) it's still an added expense I don't need. Plus because the vaporiser is guilt free, I can still keep it on me, keep it charged so that if I feel a slip coming, I can use the vape rather than a cigarette.

Basically, things are going well. And my first big test will be this Saturday when I'm at a party. I bought a second vape battery entirely so that I had some guarantee of it working all night.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #228 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:25 »

Congrats Gareth. I gave in a bought a pack a couple months ago. Smoked one cig, realized I couldn't stand the taste or smell anymore, and tossed the rest of the pack. I still get the urge, but I know I don't miss the actual experience of it.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #230 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:49 »

I was off cigarettes for a year and change. I quit with the cheap e-cigarettes; they tasted like crap, but I didn't want to trade one expensive habit for another. I've been off the wagon for going on seven months now. Had a job interview, was stressed the fuck out, and figured that having a cigarette to calm my nerves would be a lot more socially acceptable than showing up to an interview at ten AM smelling of alcohol. First pack lasted me nearly a month. Let's just say the subsequent packs haven't lasted quite that long. :P I'm back on the wagon in a couple of days, though... hopefully it sticks this time.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #231 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:28 »

Had a job interview, was stressed the fuck out, and figured that having a cigarette to calm my nerves would be a lot more socially acceptable than showing up to an interview at ten AM smelling of alcohol.

If you want to quit smoking, you will have to go through some stressful situations without the support of cigarettes. Non smokers do it all the time and I can say from experience that it does get easier to do without them each time.

As an aside, I did know someone who was apprehensive when interviewing people who smelt strongly of smoke as to whether they were the sort of person to disappear out of the room when the stress levels ramped up.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #232 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:38 »

Using my vape has definitely helped in curtailing my smoking habit.  I'm not 100% cigarette free but I have not bought a pack for myself in a very long time and it's at the point now where I can't stand being around another smoker and especially not a heavy smoker.  When I get one of those as a customer it's very difficult  to maintain my composure when I'm comfronted with the smell of stale tobacco. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #233 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:02 »

I too, Fig, am finally at the point where cigarette smoke smells bad to me again. It's nice to be back there. Haven't been there in a good few years.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #234 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:17 »

Had a job interview, was stressed the fuck out, and figured that having a cigarette to calm my nerves would be a lot more socially acceptable than showing up to an interview at ten AM smelling of alcohol.

If you want to quit smoking, you will have to go through some stressful situations without the support of cigarettes. Non smokers do it all the time and I can say from experience that it does get easier to do without them each time.

As an aside, I did know someone who was apprehensive when interviewing people who smelt strongly of smoke as to whether they were the sort of person to disappear out of the room when the stress levels ramped up.

I'd been through plenty before that without cigarettes, and I normally cope just fine with stressful events and people. Don't know why that time was different -- stress and anxiety turned up to about 11. I didn't even smoke the whole cigarette... two long drags and done.

ETA: It wasn't even a matter of saying, "I want/need a cigarette right now." It was feeling like my heart was going to jump out of my chest and skitter away down the sidewalk. Tried my usual stuff (deep breathing, etc.). Didn't work. When the usual didn't work, I figured I'd try something farther down the list. :P
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #235 on: 17 Nov 2014, 15:06 »

9 days free.

I don't care how much I may love you, I fucking hate you right now, don't care who you are

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #236 on: 19 Nov 2014, 16:46 »

Post was 2 days ago - so 4 more to go until your body's free of the actual nicotine.  The bonding sites in your nervous system that have been abandoned by it and cause you to crave it will be completely stripped and filled with the molecules that should be there instead. 

The harder part is the habit, though.  Once you're 15 days out, it's not the nicotine calling your name. 

It's you. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #237 on: 20 Nov 2014, 14:03 »

I'm not nicotine free though. E-cig. I'm quitting that cold turkey as of today. And I'm already feeling the angers.

On the upside, making adjustments on my guitar is making me really happy. I guess I know now what I knew all along: I'm meant to be doing something other than smoking to make myself happy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #238 on: 17 Feb 2015, 12:36 »

John Oliver goes international on his show with a look at the depths of depravity that tobacco companies will sink to. Figured this is a good spot for it: if you're trying to quit smoking, know that this is the business your habit is funding.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #239 on: 05 Jan 2016, 07:41 »

Just thought I'd necropost in here to observe that I am now 15 months smoke free.

Aside from a few joints in the interim, I have only used my nicotine vapouriser. I am richer, happier and healthier.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #240 on: 05 Jan 2016, 08:31 »

Congratulations. Keep up the good work. Mad props. It gets easier with time.
@syleegrrl

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #241 on: 05 Jan 2016, 19:02 »

Yay!!!!!! Congrats!! See, I knew you could do it. :)

Formerly LoliButt.

Metope

« Reply #242 on: 07 Jan 2016, 01:35 »

Congrats, that is awesome and impressive! You have good reason to be proud of yourself, well done.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #243 on: 09 Jan 2016, 14:50 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up