THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

At WAYF's request: Your favorite kind of Tai Hair?

Redhead, straight up.
- 3 (7.9%)
...wouldn't that be "lesbian up"?
- 2 (5.3%)
Leopard spots!
- 1 (2.6%)
PLAID!
- 8 (21.1%)
Rams horns!
- 2 (5.3%)
Big pink bunny ears!
- 1 (2.6%)
Moose antlers!
- 3 (7.9%)
Big Green Afro Wig!
- 1 (2.6%)
Dragonball Z - IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!
- 4 (10.5%)
Fluffy fluffy fluffy fluffy fluffy fluffy
- 13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2357-2361 (7-11 January 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 67918 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I wonder what the character with a social protocol database would say.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

However I spent years in those things, and then went on to play EVE here and there, so maybe I'm just a bad person. D;

You are indeed a terrible person and deserve podding repeatedly. If only I hadn't specc'd my main for mining and industry... :P
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

If it's mutually accepted teasing, that's one thing. I've had a few people with whom I could interact like that and, for both of us, it make a crappy workday less crappy, as long as we each knew how far to go before checking down.

But, once someone makes it clear to you that it's not welcome or that a line has been/is in danger of being crossed, you back off. If you don't, it's harrassing ... or at least being an ass.

One can argue whether Marigold's made her feelings on the matter clear, at least to Dale (and maybe to herself), but that's for future comics (and, who the hell am I kidding, this forum and others).
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

However I spent years in those things, and then went on to play EVE here and there, so maybe I'm just a bad person. D;

You are indeed a terrible person and deserve podding repeatedly. If only I hadn't specc'd my main for mining and industry... :P

I'm speccing for frigates! Because I am just awful at EVE and apparently hate making money.

Well *was* speccing for frigates. Not playing this second.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

All these warcraft jokes are going over my head...I feel like Angus.
Worry Hat, Engage!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Actually I think there's very few Warcraft jokes going around, though I'll allow I might not be noticing them due to over-familiarity. Got something particular you want explained INTO THE GROUND!  :mrgreen:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

To pod is to character-kill in EVE rather than to just destroy a ship (to pop, IIRC - I haven't played for a few months now :(). It comes from the destruction of the life-support/neural control capsule that all players are in. It's something of an evil thing to do because when the pod is destroyed the target player has to buy a new clone body or risk losing some of their trained skills. They also lose all of their (very  expensive and in certain cases very rare) training/skill boosters.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

The caption thread made me think: Have we *ever* seen Dale's eyes?

I thought we had once, but that's probably because I think he looks kind of like Amir (maybe I'm comic-racist?).

Putting down an Internet-Dollar wager that Dale was born blind, but received tech implants some years ago. Playing video games was part of his training to master his brain's newly-formed and growing ability to interpret sight-signals. Part of his reasons why he does so many different low-pressure jobs that keep him seeing all sorts of different people and locales because he's on a quest to see EVERYTHING.

Also I'm probably wrong but I had fun making it up.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You're wrong.  The first two or three comics were normal, then he went all Gendo. 

As for stalking, I think this comes pretty damn close. 

It may have been a happenstance meeting, but he seemed to be waiting for her. 

Edit:  First Appearance

Second (No tips for alliance scum!)

Third, and the Gendo shine begins...
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2013, 13:38 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

You're wrong.  The first two or three comics were normal, then he went all Gendo. 
I've compared his look to Gendo for a while, especially in battling her PvP...but it just occurred to me how much more appropriate his "Shut up Shinji" shirt is. HAH!

As for stalking, I think this comes pretty damn close. 

It may have been a happenstance meeting, but he seemed to be waiting for her. 
I still say he's got a thing for her. If fact, I'll even wager a cookie.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I guess we have a difference of interpretation here. I have a hard time looking a comic like http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1895 and not concluding that Dale is deliberately trying to antagonize Marigold. Then there's the fact that he changed servers so that he could stalk her. If I was in Marigold's shoes, and a guy I barely knew did that I'd feel kind of creeped out.
Last-couple-of-days Dale seems to have chilled considerably since lurking-on-dark-street-corners Dale, or running-a-would-be-ganking-squad Dale. Disclaimer: I have not played WoW, so I don't know how ganging up on on people in PvP is viewed there. I tend to follow the Way of the Open Palm in games...  :angel:  So I'm with Hanners on this one.

Edit: Fixed incorrect link for the ganking squad. Thank you Pilchard for pointing out my mistake.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2013, 14:31 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Are those supposed to link to the same strip?

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

I found it kind've pleasing that Hannelore put Marigold in her place. Marigold has been kind've stupid over this for some time. What I'm wondering, is when Marigold is going to get counseling. She clearly needs it...

Carl-E

• Awakened

You only get counseling when you know you need it.  Right now, that's pretty well beyond Marigold's comprehension. 

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Akima: Generally speaking my experience was it is seen as natural as the sun rising, at least on the kind of server it is implied (possibly outright stated) that the two characters play on. I can explain more if you want, but 'got ganked? too bad, get some friends or leave if you don't like it' might be a fairly accurate blurb.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

People are allowed to not like someone, even for silly reasons, without it meaning they need counseling.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

True, but I think Blacksinow's mentioning it what with all the problems in social, self-esteem, and self-maintenance issues Marigold has been proven to have.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

True, but I think Blacksinow's mentioning it what with all the problems in social, self-esteem, and self-maintenance issues Marigold has been proven to have.

Yes. If virtual reality gets in the way of REAL reality, and prevents you from having even a civil conversation with someone, then it's a problem. And if her goal is to eventually socialize with other people, in public, then she's going to need to do something drastic about it.

The comic thus far has used counseling as a helpful tool, and I can tell from first-hand experience that it is. Perhaps it will also shed light on some other as-yet-unknown aspects of MarBear's past.
Worry Hat, Engage!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Possibly. Also possible is just that her father, so far implied to be pretty weird himself, managed to raise a weird girl.

Carl-E

• Awakened

DAMMIT!!

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Yes. If virtual reality gets in the way of REAL reality, and prevents you from having even a civil conversation with someone, then it's a problem. And if her goal is to eventually socialize with other people, in public, then she's going to need to do something drastic about it.

The comic thus far has used counseling as a helpful tool, and I can tell from first-hand experience that it is. Perhaps it will also shed light on some other as-yet-unknown aspects of MarBear's past.

Marigold almost reminds me of a friend I know. Her obsession with video games is hindering her from having a social life. And when you start to associate someone being a jerk because they like a specific faction of a game, then you clearly need counseling. Marigold kind've reminds me of all those stories I've read about, where someone was refused a job because they were the opposite world of warcraft faction that the interviewer played as. This kind've behavior is simply damaging to Marigold. Look at the lakehouse comics, when she was so into final fantasy, that she couldn't even realize that time had passed by. And believe me, when you have your head shoved into a handheld game, then actually talking to people normally when the situation requires it, you DO need counselling.

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks

Am I just not that observant or does Marigold look thinner in this comic? Seems like her time with Martin and co is doing her good :) Not that I cared before.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

Sure, if the idea of counseling had been raised in relation to her needing to get out more and take care of herself and stuff, that wouldn't have bothered me, but this:
I found it kind've pleasing that Hannelore put Marigold in her place. Marigold has been kind've stupid over this for some time. What I'm wondering, is when Marigold is going to get counseling. She clearly needs it...
... is all about punishing her as stupid and needing counseling for not wanting to be friends with some guy she barely knows who goes out of his way to bother her (whether he means it as a joke or not). Screw that. You don't have to be BFFs with every person you meet. Also:

This kind've behavior is simply damaging to Marigold. Look at the lakehouse comics, when she was so into final fantasy, that she couldn't even realize that time had passed by. And believe me, when you have your head shoved into a handheld game, then actually talking to people normally when the situation requires it, you DO need counselling.
That's just not true. She spent the whole of the lakehouse comics meeting new people, engaging in conversation, trying new things, playing non-video games with the group, and challenging herself (wearing a bikini even though she was embarrassed). It was only after the party was over that she got absorbed into the game. She's not the same character as when she was first introduced, she's grown a lot.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Am I just not that observant or does Marigold look thinner in this comic? Seems like her time with Martin and co is doing her good :) Not that I cared before.

For me Marigold is the character whose perceived size jumps around the most depending on angles, clothing etc:

Compare her now (final panel):
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2358

To her first appearance (any panel):
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1413

To her in the white dress at the party:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1687
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1689

To just before Christmas (which wasn't all that long ago, QC time):
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2342

Having read for a while I just kind of write it off to that just being the way she's portrayed. Probably nothing to read into it.

Jeph also could be playing around with her perceived size to show her mood. Seems an anime-ish thing to do with someone who's so into anime and also so insecure about herself.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

That's just not true. She spent the whole of the lakehouse comics meeting new people, engaging in conversation, trying new things, playing non-video games with the group, and challenging herself (wearing a bikini even though she was embarrassed). It was only after the party was over that she got absorbed into the game. She's not the same character as when she was first introduced, she's grown a lot.

She was the last werewolf! You cannot argue with the last werewolf! :emotrex:

I think she's just developing further as a character. It's a good thing. ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I like the idea that Marigold is losing weight because Momo is cooking healthier meals for her, but there's no canon to suggest that Momo followed through on that offer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Sure, if the idea of counseling had been raised in relation to her needing to get out more and take care of herself and stuff, that wouldn't have bothered me, but this:
... is all about punishing her as stupid and needing counseling for not wanting to be friends with some guy she barely knows who goes out of his way to bother her (whether he means it as a joke or not). Screw that. You don't have to be BFFs with every person you meet. Also:

This kind've behavior is simply damaging to Marigold. Look at the lakehouse comics, when she was so into final fantasy, that she couldn't even realize that time had passed by. And believe me, when you have your head shoved into a handheld game, then actually talking to people normally when the situation requires it, you DO need counselling.

If memory serves, she initiated this whole thing with Dale, by being openly arrogent against him for playing as an alliance character. Meeting people is all well and good, but my point still stands. She still possesses behavior akin to someone so wrapped up into video games, that they would rather play their Nintendo 3DS, then carry on a conversation. She changes because they are (more or less) taking matters into their own hands and dragging her "kicking and screaming" away from the computer and into a crowd to interact. Though there is no rejection, it seems to me that they are more or less insistant, because it is for her own good. Like I said, I know someone like Marigold. Hannelore setting her straight, it is essential for her growth. Because she is beginning to learn that because someone plays on the horde or alliance, that it doesn't make them a bad person. She is having to learn these sorts of things the hard way, and that means that Hanelore will continue to remind her of things like this.

Wagimawr

• Facebook

Welp, Jeph was wrong on Twitter. I lol'd hard.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

*cue over-analytic moment* Marigold's switched characters!

Also I feel really dumb now, Pilchard. I feel like I missed a prime opportunity to accuse you of being Amarrian.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Now I will admit, Dale seriously had that coming. That is what happens when you go around stalking someone like that.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

If memory serves, she initiated this whole thing with Dale, by being openly arrogent against him for playing as an alliance character. Meeting people is all well and good, but my point still stands. She still possesses behavior akin to someone so wrapped up into video games, that they would rather play their Nintendo 3DS, then carry on a conversation.

yes, she started the whole rivalry with Dale, on a point that is trivial, but not any more trivial than many other rivalries: Apple vs Bigsoft, book vs film, et cetera.
She does not like to interact with other people. So what? You may not like interacting with people, as long as it does not prevent you from functioning in the society. She is like Penelope, except Penelope is engrossed in books and not video games.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

ASDF!
Signature OF DOOM!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Pwnt.

DeusExLibris

• Not quite a lurker

If memory serves, she initiated this whole thing with Dale, by being openly arrogent against him for playing as an alliance character. Meeting people is all well and good, but my point still stands. She still possesses behavior akin to someone so wrapped up into video games, that they would rather play their Nintendo 3DS, then carry on a conversation. She changes because they are (more or less) taking matters into their own hands and dragging her "kicking and screaming" away from the computer and into a crowd to interact. Though there is no rejection, it seems to me that they are more or less insistant, because it is for her own good. Like I said, I know someone like Marigold. Hannelore setting her straight, it is essential for her growth. Because she is beginning to learn that because someone plays on the horde or alliance, that it doesn't make them a bad person. She is having to learn these sorts of things the hard way, and that means that Hanelore will continue to remind her of things like this.

The thing is, although Marigold took a dislike to Dale for reasons that would seem trivial to most people, it's Dale who has been going out of his way to confirm and sustain that dislike. All of their subsequent encounters have either been happenstance or because Dale actively sought Marigold out. If he hadn't chosen to be deliberately antagonistic, who's to say that Marigold wouldn't have gotten over her prejudices?

I also tend to agree that Marigold has a fair number of friends now, so it's not a big deal if she doesn't like Dale. I also don't think it's a particularly big deal that she can barely be civil to him when that's the reaction he's trying to provoke.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Dale's poster of Haruhi Suzumiya gets him points from me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

*cue over-analytic moment* Marigold's switched characters!
Aww, it's super-adorable that she changed her character's name to the nickname her new friends gave her!

WAYF

• Beyoncé

This one makes me giggle so much. Well dong Jeph, well dong. ;D

ChaosWolf

"I took some liberties with WoW for the sake of the comic, if this bothers you then just imagine that WoW is somewhat different in the QC universe."

Actually, speaking as a longtime WoW player... that's surprisingly accurate.

Well, visually accurate, anyway.  Not gameplay accurate - no damn way a Warrior could oneshot a Rogue. :wink:

This one makes me giggle so much. Well dong Jeph, well dong. ;D

Well dong?   Sorry, no ERP here, this ain't Goldshire.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Teabagging? Marigold, you're better than that!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Hahahah.......Well dong indeed.
Worry Hat, Engage!

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

So, we can see from this example, that she likely plays either Call of Duty or Halo. Considering this is Marigold, that actually makes complete sense. She doesn't have a prepubescent voice, so she isn't a squeaker... Most mysterious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I confess to being utterly lost in this discussion.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

On Dale stalking Marigold... He's never shown up to her house, or called, and none of their interactions have included threats of violence or sexual implications.

I might go so far as to say he's one of the only characters who understands Marigold's passion for gaming. That's why he engages her in their rivalry.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Okay, he didn't change servers, exactly... For those of you who are irritable about it. He started a new character on a server he normally doesn't play on. It is not even remotely a big deal to have a character on a different server than your usual one; in fact, it is normal, because you can have 50 characters spread across however many servers you like, and each server only allows for 11 characters at a time (a very recent upgrade from the former limit of 10). This doesn't make it right that he's stalking her in-game, but it doesn't mean that he's done some grand gesture to do so. He's probably playing on his other toons (another word to refer to your characters, for those of you who haven't heard the term) now that his rogue is (probably) max level (I say that he's probably at max because he most likely wouldn't be going after Mar-Bear if he weren't).

So, we can see from this example, that she likely plays either Call of Duty or Halo. Considering this is Marigold, that actually makes complete sense. She doesn't have a prepubescent voice, so she isn't a squeaker... Most mysterious.
Actually, this has become a moderately common practice in WoW, regardless of other gaming habits.

And Akima, I don't think she's better than that... when it comes to Dale. It's probably not common practice for her, but for him, she's willing to stoop. :P Doesn't make it right, but it's probably the reason.

As for Dale and Marigold and the conversation regarding jerks: They're both being poo-heads, plain and simple. They both seem to have varying levels of attraction to each other but have no idea how to express it in any other way. In any case, Dale antagonizes her. She reacts viciously. They're both at fault in every situation they've been in together.

As for today's comic: Dale totally had it coming. :P And I love that she's named/renamed(?) her character to MarBear. <33 I also look forward to seeing how Dale will regroup and try again. I hope even more to see them run into each other IRL before their characters meet again.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

He has turned up at her house, but not because it was her house. The first time they met was when he delivered a pizza, hence "No tips for alliance scum!".

Hee. WHUD bagbagbagbagbagbagbagbag

de_la_Nae: My main (and only character) is Gallente, because Gallente-controlled space has borders with Ammar, Caldari and Minmatar. In the unlikely event that I angered one of the other races, I'd be able to travel to any other space without having to cross areas where I was persona non grata to the racial navy.

foolsguinea

Well, looks like this is turning into another video game comic, so I'm out. It's been fun, all.
Just kidding.
Unless Jeph really goes that way.

Wagimawr

• Facebook

'sok, as long as you get the gist of the comic; pwning and teabagging... :laugh:

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Me too, but looking up the more conspicuously mysterious words on Google is giving me links to the urban dictionary and I'm learning fast. Definitely read-only thread for me though, I wouldn't try to actually say anything.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

Dang, we need to create a QC-Corp in EVE...
Currently away from EVE (building a  character in Skyrim for use in the soon-to-be-released Dragonborn expansion), but with a full skill queue. Amarr Cruiser at 5 is the goal, along with Recon (currently at 3). Aiming for a Curse.

All in all, I think Jeph put WoW in a nutshell: overkill and Schadenfreude.
Signature OF DOOM!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up