Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 23 Jan 2019, 17:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: This even more just in - the weather thread  (Read 67350 times)

War Sparrow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #1050 on: 04 Sep 2018, 07:18 »

The more I learn about Germany, the more I like it. It sounds clean and tidy, and filled with fun idioms-all things dear to my prairie heart.

Which is desperately homesick, as the family homestead is cool and cloudy today, while I feel like a steamed fish. Why is the air so chewy!

Case

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1051 on: 04 Sep 2018, 08:01 »

The more I learn about Germany, the more I like it. It sounds clean and tidy, and filled with fun idioms-all things dear to my prairie heart.

If you don't mind the mandatory stick up your where-the-sun-shineth-not, it isn't half bad, sure.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"There is nothing normalizing about being hit in the head with a dildo by a little robot with orb hands." - SmilingCat

cybersmurf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #1052 on: 04 Sep 2018, 08:17 »

Someone once said German is like word lego. Just mix and match your word parts, and it's supposedly a common practice.

What I am definetly guilty of, probably especially as Austrian, is building oversized sentences. German is definetly guilty of that, too. just adding clause after clause, nesting them within each other in a way you can easily get lost in a sentence that's like a whole page long. One thought, one sentence.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

hedgie

• Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #1053 on: 04 Sep 2018, 08:54 »

If you don't mind the mandatory stick up your where-the-sun-shineth-not, it isn't half bad, sure.

I dunno, I thought that Berlin was rather interesting, and had the right kind of crazy.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

War Sparrow

« Reply #1054 on: 04 Sep 2018, 09:10 »

My current residence's tagline is "The city that fun forgot." I doubt Germany's worse.

Case

• Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1055 on: 04 Sep 2018, 09:42 »

My current residence's tagline is "The city that fun forgot." I doubt Germany's worse.

I didn't say that Germany is no fun - I said that German society is a very carefully constructed one, and one that provides its members with a maximum of individual liberty by requiring they observe a maximum of unwritten social protocol. The crazy thing is that it actually works.

It's a bit like the "Individualists' Association":laugh:

Also:

"Elsewhere sucks, too - The Ruhr-area in the 1980s"

I dunno, I thought that Berlin was rather interesting, and had the right kind of crazy.

Berlin != Germany (Is there a superlative of 'not', and if so, what is its symbol?)

Edit: German society loosened up considerably over the last few decades, especially following the end of the Cold War. Compared to the 1980s, we're positively frivolous.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2018, 09:55 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"There is nothing normalizing about being hit in the head with a dildo by a little robot with orb hands." - SmilingCat

War Sparrow

« Reply #1056 on: 04 Sep 2018, 10:04 »

Well that's true. When I read "stick up the ass" I assumed you meant "boring and serious", as that is what people mean when they say it here. Or, you know, "have basic manners and consideration for others", which is uncommon in my chunk of the city.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up