THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: This even more just in - the weather thread  (Read 227871 times)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #750 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:07 »

I'd say it's true here too. It's gone from 70 to 0 in 24 hours here before. Plus there was that one storm we got a couple years ago where it went from 100 to 65 in literally 60 seconds. And during tornado season it can go from sunny to violent rather quickly.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #751 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:45 »

Mate of mine is selling his house and someone just withdrew their offer on it because of the renewed flood warnings. He's had to withdraw his own offer on someone else's house, he is not happy and my heart goes out to him.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #752 on: 11 Feb 2014, 12:26 »

I've heard that quote lots of times applied to Oklahoma, but that quote has probably been used to describe the weather pretty much everywhere.

The only quote I've ever heard applied to Oklahoma weather is that the waving wheat can sure smell sweet when the wind comes right behind the rain.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #753 on: 11 Feb 2014, 15:39 »

Today I learned that the place I work has a NOAA All-Hazard's radio in the building office, kept conveniently on a shelf right above where I sit. The alarm going off scared the shit out of me.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #754 on: 11 Feb 2014, 17:40 »

my first job outtta college was security.
I found out the hard way where the Tornado Warning siren was located.
40' up and 20' outside my guard shack.
I'm glad I brought my spare jumpsuit that day.
THIS going off at 0230 mid shift.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #755 on: 11 Feb 2014, 17:54 »

The campus has an emergency siren system that they test on the first Wednesday of every month at 11:50 AM, RIGHT when I am usually walking out of a building that has one of the sirens on top of it. And even though I expect it, it still makes me jump every time.

For some reason our brand new library's fire alarm is pathetically quiet. It went off the other day and it took me a second to realize what it was. It sounds more like the tardy bell from my high school than an alarm.

Anyway, we listened to the entire Winter Storm Warning. It had a lot of detail that I didn't expect. What to bring in your car if you have to drive, not to over-exert yourself when shoveling, etc.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #756 on: 11 Feb 2014, 18:50 »

The apartment I lived in a couple years ago had one of the city's tornado sirens right outside the window. They test them every Saturday at noon, so there was no sleeping in on Saturdays while I lived there. Better than living next to the train tracks where the train blows its horn at 4:30 AM, though.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #757 on: 11 Feb 2014, 18:57 »

The tornado siren at work is about 40 feet from where I usually park.

It sounds at 12:17 every Wednesday.

I've been known to use my car as a private room for when I need to call my (off-site) manager.

I once did this at 12:15 on a Wednesday.

Yeeeeeep.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #758 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:11 »

The University is closing at noon. This is different from "classes are cancelled" in that the dining hall, library, and (most important for me) student union are closed. However, my Arabic professor lives higher up and is already snowed in, so my 10-11 class is cancelled.

Basically that means I have to go down to the Student Union and work for one hour before the building closes at noon. I'm trying to figure out what excuse I can make up so I don't have to walk through the cold and (ever-worsening) snow for $7.50.

They're saying this will be the most snow the area has seen since the winter of 2010.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #759 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:49 »

Ugh. I feel your pain. We're getting it a little later than you are, but it's gonna be a doozie. They're forecasting 10-18 inches. On top of the 12 inches we already have on the ground. :psyduck:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #760 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:54 »

I hope we get hit hard. I want an excuse to not be at work tomorrow.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #761 on: 12 Feb 2014, 06:33 »

I really wish we wouldn't. I have like, ZERO vacation/personal time and I'd really like to be able to take a few days off for when we move and/or take an actual vacation. We just got a lovely email from the CEO that everyone is really pissed off about.

"As we all probably know, there is a storm expected Thursday. Unless things change, it looks like it will be worse upstate than downstate. I'd appreciate it if all staff make the appropriate preparations. I'd like to encourage all upstate staff to make it in. Office/admin staff try to get in to work and we'll see how it goes during the day. It has been a rough winter thus far. But it will be over in a matter of weeks. Hang in there everyone."

He will not close the office. And last week? When we were hammered with snow on Wednesday? When there was a state of emergency and everyone was ordered to stay off the roads? One person came in for 2 hours and then left. The storm before that? At peak, there were 3 of us here. Again, state of emergency.

He is putting his employees lives at risk and couldn't give less of a shit about them. I am getting more and more fed up as each day goes by.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #762 on: 12 Feb 2014, 10:36 »

According to university policy, only "essential" faculty/staff need to report in if classes are cancelled if it is safe for them to do so. But according to Student Union policy we still have to report to work if it is safe to do so. Because I live on-campus (although it's way at the edge of campus) I am actually required to show up. That makes me essential staff, I believe I should get a raise now.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #763 on: 12 Feb 2014, 10:37 »

As far as I can tell, Virgin Trains are telling customers to abandon all travel and may well be stopping all of their trains at the next station. This following winds of 108mph in Wales. Even Yorkshire people have been forced to admit that it's "a bit breezy out there lad".

lepetitfromage

« Reply #764 on: 12 Feb 2014, 10:42 »

Just got the email from the city newsletter- they have declared a "snow emergency". All transit is cancelled and anyone parked in a public lot or on the street (aka "plow zones") will be towed, starting at 11pm tonight.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #765 on: 12 Feb 2014, 10:56 »

Long range says 6 inches/15 cm of snow on Monday.

Good thing it's a holiday!

Grognard

« Reply #766 on: 12 Feb 2014, 12:29 »

I really wish we wouldn't. I have like, ZERO vacation/personal time and I'd really like to be able to take a few days off for when we move and/or take an actual vacation. We just got a lovely email from the CEO that everyone is really pissed off about.
"As we all probably know, there is a storm expected Thursday. Unless things change, it looks like it will be worse upstate than downstate. I'd appreciate it if all staff make the appropriate preparations. I'd like to encourage all upstate staff to make it in. Office/admin staff try to get in to work and we'll see how it goes during the day. It has been a rough winter thus far. But it will be over in a matter of weeks. Hang in there everyone."
He will not close the office. And last week? When we were hammered with snow on Wednesday? When there was a state of emergency and everyone was ordered to stay off the roads? One person came in for 2 hours and then left. The storm before that? At peak, there were 3 of us here. Again, state of emergency.
He is putting his employees lives at risk and couldn't give less of a shit about them. I am getting more and more fed up as each day goes by.

If possible, spam an ANONYMOUS company wide email to that effect: He is putting his employees lives at risk and couldn't give less of a shit about them.  Additionally, recommend that anyone who comes to harm while trying to make it in, SUE his ass for endangerment.

If you do so, do it from a single use, outside provider.  Some bosses don't take a hint without getting whacked by a 2x4.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #767 on: 12 Feb 2014, 14:49 »

So I planned to walk down the street to a burrito place for dinner because it was only lightly snowing. In the 5 or so minutes it took for me to wake up from my (wonderful) midday nap and get dressed, the light snow had transformed into a zero-visibility hell-blizzard, and it's only getting worse. Looks like I'm staying in here and eating ramen.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #768 on: 12 Feb 2014, 20:15 »

University closed tomorrow, possibly another foot of snow. Apparently the whole system got a late start but we've been getting hammered pretty consistently since my last post.

Grognard

« Reply #769 on: 12 Feb 2014, 22:24 »

5 inches down now... and another 3-5 to come.

yay for having a teenager to shovel for me. :D  :D  :D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #770 on: 13 Feb 2014, 01:35 »

Trains into London from the West are severely disrupted (and have been for a while by flooding).  But it seems that the big problem now is some major signalling equipment at Maidenhead being under water - and the water is not simply flooding from the river but groundwater, as the water table is now above ground level at that point.  As a result it is unclear how long this will take to fall.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #771 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:49 »

It is apparently utterly shit outside, but I still might have to try to get in to work.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #772 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:50 »

I finished work at 8.30 last night and went down to the train station to discover that the 8.20 and 8.30 trains had both been delayed because the wind had brought down the overhead cables further up the line, so those trains hadn't come through yet. The 8.50 is the one I usually get (I have no idea why there's no 8.40) so waiting wasn't a huge issue for me.

Apparently it was for a small group of people waiting though. They kept repeatedly pressing the button to call the customer service helpline on the free intercom and berating the staff of the Indian call centre because the trains were late. Apparently it was "just a bit of wind" and "unacceptable" that the trains would be delayed for "no reason". They also kept saying "this is meant to be a helpline and you're not helping", when the staff were doing their best - telling them that the next train due was the 8.50 (it came through at 9.07: not bad considering!) and explaining that they couldn't authorise the group of angry rude people to get a taxi and reclaim the cost because they were just the call centre staff, not actually employees of the train company.

I didn't like being out in the cold waiting for my train, but I was significantly more angry at the three people who were treating the call centre staff like dirt. Ugh. I'm considering emailing the customer service people to apologise and say it wasn't representative of all of us on the platform, but I doubt the relevant people would ever see the email.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #773 on: 13 Feb 2014, 05:06 »

I have no reference for how much snow is outside right now, but the snow on the car bumpers and seat of the motorcycle has merged with the snow on the ground. And it's supposed to keep snowing for another 12 to 16 hours.

Update: the dog (big GSD) tried to walk around the yard but it was up to his chest so he kept giving up. This is what my deck looks like. I can't go out there and measure because there's about 6 inches piled against the sliding door.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2014, 05:26 by bainidhe_dub »
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #774 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:09 »

It is apparently utterly shit outside, but I still might have to try to get in to work.

Work has surrendered. Yay! I went out and cleaned off my car any way to make doing that suck less tomorrow. Holy shit. Mid calf to knee in my parking lot, good thing they didn't want me in, cause I doubt I could get the car out.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #775 on: 13 Feb 2014, 08:09 »

That looks a bit like my deck.  Same amount of snow, I think.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #776 on: 13 Feb 2014, 10:18 »

And now, we see the reason why emphasizing one form of infrastructure over another isn't always a good idea.

Then again, the roads outside my apartment complex are more like proving grounds track than a proper highway, so there's that.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

« Reply #777 on: 13 Feb 2014, 10:28 »

My work surrendered too! AND we all get paid! YAYYYYYYYY

I'm secretly hoping that it's because of the state of emergency email that I printed out and gave to my supervisor yesterday regarding the fact that it is "unlawful" to be on the road today. She passed it along to the CEO.  :-D

My windows are at ground level and it's getting to the point where the snow is slowly but surely creeping past my window sills.  :-P

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #778 on: 13 Feb 2014, 18:39 »

I hit that point a long time ago.

And, as I'm posting this, I hear the sounds of the snowplow doing our parking lot. Now, it should be pointed out that what we call a "snow plow" in North Central Wisconsin is what people in most other parts of the country call "road graders."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

« Reply #779 on: 13 Feb 2014, 18:51 »

It stopped snowing a few hours ago. For about an hour. Back on again, this time freezing rain! Aaaaand, we're supposed to get another 6-12 inches! Yippee.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #780 on: 13 Feb 2014, 18:53 »

ooh ooh me too! I always thought slush was something that happened after snow sat around, but no, it's currently raining slush.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #781 on: 13 Feb 2014, 18:59 »

Apparently we're getting more still.

With any luck no work tomorrow either.

Man it's striking to me just how much I HATE my job.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #782 on: 13 Feb 2014, 19:03 »

So in the past 24 hours, my house has gone from 42C (~108F) and a seemingly endless heatwave, to 16C (~60F) and about 40mm of rain. Australia what are you doing. Australia stahp.
(What's that Prime Minister, "climate change is crap", you say? Looked out the window lately?)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Grognard

« Reply #783 on: 14 Feb 2014, 15:06 »

my back and shoulder is KILLING me.
even managed to get the truck stuck this morning.
:(
managed to get it unstuck this afternoon.
:)

oy. I'm tired.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #784 on: 14 Feb 2014, 15:39 »

I just saw a picture on the news of a house in the Somerset Levels with the flood water at the height of the door knocker!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

« Reply #785 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:35 »

It's snowing again.

AGAIN. It snowed for almost 24 hours straight on Thursday and they are still not done cleaning up the mess that storm left. And we're going on Hour 3 this round. We started with about 2-3 feet on the ground already. And we're supposed to get even more tomorrow.

There is nowhere left to put the damn stuff!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #786 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:41 »

Here we're supposed to have high temperatures in the mid 60s to lower 70s all week. That'll be nice after the weather we had been getting.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #787 on: 15 Feb 2014, 13:40 »

50 MPH winds, saw it tear an outdoor umbrella at the student union into shreds. One of the doors into the union was just flapping in the wind and had to be barricaded with a surplus chair. Also the window in my bedroom apparently isn't set properly because I can hear whistling. Good thing heating is included in my rent.

Saw this on George Takei's page, very appropriate right now:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #788 on: 16 Feb 2014, 00:54 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #789 on: 16 Feb 2014, 05:15 »

The weather here is so pleasant today I actually feel slightly ashamed.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #790 on: 16 Feb 2014, 08:10 »

It hailed here twice today. Prolly the bad weather is getting from Britain down here?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #791 on: 16 Feb 2014, 09:02 »

To be honest most of the reason I feel ashamed is that a lot of Britain is currently under water. We're getting hella storms and flooding (I think Paul mentioned, or linked to an article mentioning, that the flooding in Oxford is no longer due to rivers bursting but the groundwater rising above sealevel, so basically they're being flooded from two directions at once).

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #792 on: 16 Feb 2014, 10:21 »

My internal thermometer is messed up.

I went outside yesterday to grab some tools from my car, in short sleeves, found it to be a pleasant temperature.

Looked at the sign outside that shows the temperature... 19 F.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #793 on: 16 Feb 2014, 10:53 »

To be honest most of the reason I feel ashamed is that a lot of Britain is currently under water. We're getting hella storms and flooding (I think Paul mentioned, or linked to an article mentioning, that the flooding in Oxford is no longer due to rivers bursting but the groundwater rising above sealevel, so basically they're being flooded from two directions at once).

That was specifically at Maidenhead, by the railway, where the signalling equipment is now under water.  The water table is now above ground level at that point.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #794 on: 16 Feb 2014, 13:48 »

Snow and cold are gone. Wind is still fucking here. I would rather the snow and cold stayed and the wind fucked off.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #795 on: 16 Feb 2014, 13:53 »

I'll just let Dogeweather comment on today's weather:

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #796 on: 03 Mar 2014, 06:18 »

I bought a bus pass for March, but I'm thining I won't for April.  I'm dreaming of bike commuting again.....

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #797 on: 03 Mar 2014, 07:20 »

Bosses said fuck this shit today.

Grognard

« Reply #798 on: 03 Mar 2014, 11:07 »

the US Gov said "screw it, it's snowing" ... and cancelled everything north of Richmond.

but I've got 0 days of leave, so I get screwed.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #799 on: 11 Mar 2014, 19:34 »

60 MPH wind gusts tomorrow. Hooray for imminent power outages.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up