THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: This even more just in - the weather thread  (Read 227997 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #600 on: 07 Jan 2014, 06:52 »

Just a few days ago, it was 17ºF and we had over a foot of snow.

Now, it's 63º and all the snow is gone.  :psyduck:

Remember this? It happened again!! We had a snowstorm Thursday/Friday. Got over a foot of snow. By yesterday morning it was 90% melted and the thermometer was reading 56º. Now, it's a whopping 6º (-13 w/windchill).

WTF, weather??? It's so bad that The Fucking Weather site is broken.  :-(

*edit to add that apparently, it will be 52º here on Saturday. Again, I say: WTF.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 07:18 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #601 on: 07 Jan 2014, 06:58 »

I checked what the weather is where my mom lives, and the weather site there is down, so I checked the next one over... -13F, with a wind chill of -38F.

And I tried going to the Fucking Weather site without specifying a city, and I got:
254°?!
ITS FUCKING...ARE YOU OKAY?
AND SNOWING

TAKE IT OFF!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #602 on: 07 Jan 2014, 07:21 »

I always leave the house with wet hair in the morning, if I'm getting a ride to work. This morning my hair froze solid within a minute of leaving the building.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #603 on: 07 Jan 2014, 09:01 »

Be wary of doing that, I used to leave the house with wet hair and walk up to school from the bus (maybe fifteen minutes) and when my hair froze, it would sometimes splinter and fall off. I quite liked the snowfall that happened when I combed it though and all the ice came off.

My friend told me last night that she has to get a new car because her old one "died of flood". There's a lot of that about in England at the moment.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #604 on: 07 Jan 2014, 10:20 »

I just cycled back from central Oxford across the water meadows by the river Cherwell.   The water was about 25" deep on the path for a couple of hundred yards, about 2" below the level it reached in July 2007.  It seemed a lot harder work cycling through it in the dark than when it was light, for some reason.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #605 on: 07 Jan 2014, 15:06 »

Welp, tomorrow is going to be huge suckage.

We still have the Wind Chill Advisory until tomorrow at noon. That was about the time I was supposed to be in some training on 1st shift tomorrow. It was cancelled - but I wasn't transferred back to third shift. This means I'm going to be working 16 hours straight as of tonight - and half of that time will be in an undisclosed location that I won't know until I get into work.

Oh, and in regards to my last post? I won't be able to do anything about the car until tomorrow afternoon. It's likely going to need to be jump started just to get to the shop where I can get a new battery installed.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #606 on: 07 Jan 2014, 15:18 »

I just cycled back from central Oxford across the water meadows by the river Cherwell.   The water was about 25" deep on the path for a couple of hundred yards, about 2" below the level it reached in July 2007.  It seemed a lot harder work cycling through it in the dark than when it was light, for some reason.
Riding through water that deep in winter is pretty hard-core! Were your wellies tall enough to keep your feet dry?

It's gone freakishly cold here by Sydney summer standards; it was 18C (~64F) when I rode to work this morning.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #607 on: 07 Jan 2014, 15:22 »

I just got a new battery into my car.

In my apartment parking lot.

Where there's no shelter. Especially from the wind.

FUCKITSCOLD!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #608 on: 07 Jan 2014, 16:11 »

Were your wellies tall enough to keep your feet dry?

Wellies?  I was wearing sandals, no socks (as usual), and jeans - I rolled the jeans up to the knees, and they got only a bit damp (from splashing, not submersion).  The sandals are synthetic, and dry out pretty quickly; I wear them very loose, so rubbing isn't a problem.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #609 on: 07 Jan 2014, 21:02 »

My trip back home has had to be postponed because the roads were closed going to the train station where the train, which was canceled, should have left to connect with the train home which was canceled, at least I think it is one that got canceled and wasn't the one that got stranded.

It's the first time since I bought the Icelandic wool sweater that I've been near weather it couldn't handle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #610 on: 07 Jan 2014, 22:20 »

I was wearing sandals, no socks (as usual), and jeans - I rolled the jeans up to the knees, and they got only a bit damp (from splashing, not submersion).  The sandals are synthetic, and dry out pretty quickly; I wear them very loose, so rubbing isn't a problem.
Definitely hard-core then! I ride in Keen cycling-sandals most of the time myself, but plunging into frigid UK winter river-water would not be my cup of tea.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #611 on: 08 Jan 2014, 00:18 »

This evening I intend to cycle to choir practice rather than driving (even though as librarian I'm taking the music for the new term).  It will probably be raining again - but the traffic diversions on account of flooding, and the resultant near gridlock, will make it faster.  I won't go the flooded route, though, as there'd be no advantage in this case, and the music would probably get wet.

However, if the waters rise further, they may cut off the rehearsal venue anyway; that road's already closed to through traffic (which is the main cause of the gridlock).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #612 on: 08 Jan 2014, 00:24 »

hard-core then!

It appears from that article that I adopt the Seattle solution.  But the fact is I have hot and sweaty feet, and am most comfortable with them exposed even when finding it necessary to wear glove on my hands.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #613 on: 08 Jan 2014, 01:27 »

Oxford has main roads in from North (x2), East (x3), West, and South.  Now the two of them that carry most traffic (West and South) are closed by flooding.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #614 on: 08 Jan 2014, 02:12 »

Yeah the flooding has been crazy round here lately, a friend of mine lives in the flood plains so he has barriers up he has to maintain. It's also fucking with my social plans, was going to go see a movie with a work colleague tonight but we're not bothering because we don't know if I'll even be able to make it back...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #615 on: 08 Jan 2014, 06:29 »

I wore sandals when I was commuting on bike to work in the summer.  Definitely not on a road bike or in inclement weather, though.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #616 on: 08 Jan 2014, 13:03 »

Fuckity fuck, Paul, please don't cycle through floodwaters. I just had a panic attack at this news story until I saw the man's age and also that you posted here less than twenty minutes before the news story was published.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #617 on: 08 Jan 2014, 15:45 »

Goodness!  I can see why you reacted so...   I was unaware of that incident (though I'd heard about the person whose mobility scooter went into the lock because he missed the path under the water).  Godstow is one of the places I often walk the dogs.  I'd expect there to be more of a current across the road there than where I was cycling, because it's alongside the Isis (Thames), which is a much bigger river than the Cherwell that I was crossing.

Please rest assured that I have the highest regard for my life, and take great care to ensure that I only do things that are well within my physical capability.  I am also a reasonably strong swimmer, though with no style at all.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #618 on: 10 Jan 2014, 00:55 »

...I now feel bad posting about the unusually warm weather we had the last few days. So warm in fact that most of the ladybugs I had in my room went out of hibernation. Without me heating.

It says it's 4°C/40F, but it feels warmer than that.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #619 on: 10 Jan 2014, 07:18 »

It actually got up to 20°F today. No negative sign before the 20.

The only problem... it's foggy, and you can just feel the snow trying to build in the air.

Which is likely what's going to happen when the sun goes down this evening.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

« Reply #620 on: 10 Jan 2014, 07:40 »

Yay for temps above zero!

Snowed here overnight. Weather.com said "no accumulation". We got at least 2 inches and it started coming down again about a half hour ago. Blurrgrghhhhh

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #621 on: 13 Jan 2014, 08:13 »

This advert is a great summary of British weather and the problems it causes public transport!

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #622 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:04 »

I'm already really looking forward to bike commuting again.  Going to be a long few months.  :(

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #623 on: 13 Jan 2014, 14:25 »

Dropped to 14 below here (centigrade, i.e. high single digits on the Fahrenheit scale). We got an inch of snow, too. Meaning that it's sooooooo much lighter out there. It feels like we have two more hours of daylight. Not forgetting that solstice is already 3 weeks behind us.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #624 on: 13 Jan 2014, 14:30 »

I feel so unfit at the moment without my hour of cycling to and from uni. Stupid rain. Stupid unpaved cycle routes.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #625 on: 14 Jan 2014, 05:36 »

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's weather related - http://directvpromise.com/disputes/weather-channel/

Consumers understand there are now a variety of other ways to get weather coverage, free of reality show clutter, and that The Weather Channel does not have an exclusive on weather coverage – the weather belongs to everyone.

Most consumers don’t want to watch a weather information channel with a forecast of a 40 percent chance of reality TV. So with that in mind, we are in the process of discussing an agreement to return the network to our line-up at the right value for our customers.

DirecTV just went up a few points in my book. Bare in mind that that's from a very low starting part, but I applaud them. Maybe they should take the next step and get rid of the History Channel until they start showing programs about history again.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #626 on: 14 Jan 2014, 05:54 »

You guys would be suprised given WW2 is LITERALLY my job, but I really miss the days when it was the Hitler Channel.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #627 on: 14 Jan 2014, 06:21 »

History Channel now has that as a sub-channel - Military History.
Just another Joe like 46

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #628 on: 14 Jan 2014, 09:33 »

I just noticed that DirecTV listed one of my favorite apps (Go Weather) in the "other ways to get weather news" section of that announcement. So that's cool too.

The Weather Channel is trying to paint this as a matter of life and death. Which is hilarious because first it ignores that DirecTV replaced their slot with an ACTUAL all-weather station. Second, if there's an actual severe weather situation, people should be checking their local news for updates anyway because it will shelter locations, evacuation routes, and the like. The Weather Channel isn't going to break into what ever shitty show they have on to give that information if it only applies to a small segment of the population. Third, if the power is still on there a LOT of sources for weather news. Dozens of websites, local and cable news stations, etc. And if the power goes out, having The Weather Channel isn't going to be a suitable replacement for a battery-powered radio.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2014, 09:46 by 94ssd »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #629 on: 14 Jan 2014, 09:51 »

If there's a tornado in the area and the power's still on, I'm going to be watching KWTV or KFOR, not The Weather Channel...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #630 on: 14 Jan 2014, 15:29 »

The snow has reached the bottom of my bedroom window.

Luckily, I live on the first floor. But still...
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #631 on: 14 Jan 2014, 15:54 »

Luckily, I live on the first floor. But still...

Ground floor, I take it (in the UK, "first floor" is one up from the ground).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #632 on: 14 Jan 2014, 16:04 »

...We've had this discussion before, have we not?  :roll: :-P :-D
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

« Reply #633 on: 14 Jan 2014, 17:46 »

I think on either side of the pond, I live in the basement :-P The snow reaches (and exceeds!) my window sills very easily!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #634 on: 14 Jan 2014, 18:13 »

...We've had this discussion before, have we not?  :roll: :-P :-D

The discussion where British people apparently don't count an entire floor of their homes? Could we stand to have that discussion again? Because that makes no sense at all.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #635 on: 15 Jan 2014, 01:39 »

Garand, do me a favour. Count from -2 up to 5.

You even refer to things as 'ground zero' in the US. Having a 0th floor makes perfect sense.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #636 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:21 »

Well, while you Americans are whimpering your way through the Polar Vortex, we in the Antipodes are receiving the other end of the stick - last night I checked a thermometer and it read 34 degrees Celsius (that's a good 93 degrees for all you non-metric barbarians :mrgreen:).
At 2 AM.

*whimper*
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #637 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:31 »

You even refer to things as 'ground zero' in the US. Having a 0th floor makes perfect sense.

Ground Zero is usually a blast crater, so it'd probably be below the average floor of a building in the area :P

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #638 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:34 »

I tend to think (and this is pretty common around here) ground floor is the first floor BELOW ground. I think if you've built one floor of a building you've built up from the ground, so it's the first floor. Maybe it's a matter of whether you count the floor or the ceiling.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #639 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:50 »

I count the floor, because it's called the ground floor, not the ground ceiling.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #640 on: 15 Jan 2014, 05:01 »

Well, while you Americans are whimpering your way through the Polar Vortex, we in the Antipodes are receiving the other end of the stick - last night I checked a thermometer and it read 34 degrees Celsius (that's a good 93 degrees for all you non-metric barbarians :mrgreen:).
At 2 AM.

*whimper*

South Australia?
Because it's still about 35C here in the Barossa and probably gonna get to 46C (~115F) in the daytime.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #641 on: 15 Jan 2014, 06:17 »

No, Victoria - about 40km northeast of Melbourne.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #642 on: 15 Jan 2014, 06:22 »

Ah yeah fair enough. You guys had any bushfire trouble? (We had a couple of major fires within about 30km of our house)

[EDIT: Apparently where I'm from, we're pretty hawt]
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014, 16:55 by LJFelix »
~She/Her/They/Them~

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #643 on: 15 Jan 2014, 16:14 »

Gareth, I completely agree with that.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #644 on: 15 Jan 2014, 20:10 »

Did I hear something about 40°C temps at the Australian Open?
Just another Joe like 46

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #645 on: 15 Jan 2014, 20:55 »

Tomorrow's forecast for outside - 30 degrees and light snow.

Tomorrow's forecast for my apartment - 85 degrees with a 100% of our thermostat still not doing shit to prevent us all from living inside of a muggy, stuffy, hell.

It is 16 degrees with wind and snow outside and we have our windows cracked for fresh air. This situation needs to be rectified soon.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #646 on: 16 Jan 2014, 02:42 »

Did I hear something about 40°C temps at the Australian Open?
You did. 42.2C in fact, or 108F.
Victoria and South Australia are experiencing heat-waves. Highs for Melbourne of 44C are predicted for the next two days. It was a mere 31C here in Sydney.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
« Reply #647 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:41 »

Welp, in South Australia heatwave news, I've had to evacuate from home thanks to bushfires. Fuckin' Whoo.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #648 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:47 »

It's mid January, and the temperatures in Glasgow are well above zero and have been for a while. When I was home in Norway over Christmas, the temperatures were well over zero there as well (although now it's back to normal winter with snow and everything, apparently). I've barely worn my winter coat at all this winter since I keep dodging the cold by going elsewhere, and I haven't seen snow at all this winter. I wonder if I'll get through the winter without seeing snow at all? It would be the first time in my life, in that case.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #649 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:16 »

Come to Wisconsin. You'll see enough snow for a lifetime if you stay for the weekend.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Up