THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: This even more just in - the weather thread  (Read 227975 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #850 on: 15 Feb 2015, 17:36 »

I'll send you my gas bill, and you can contemplate it's effect on human nature...

:x :cry: :-(

Same here. Along with the snow drift that appears to have formed in front of my garage.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #851 on: 15 Feb 2015, 19:54 »

The USA is apparently behind Europe in weather-forecasting science. This is strange considering that the USA is more prone to extreme weather, and so might be expected to pay more attention:
[img]

It is 29C and 74% humidity here...
Not strange when we consider things better left to the Discuss section. Here in the US, as it is in Australia, climate is politicized.

So I have two reasons to hate the snowstorm outside my doors. It's cold, blowy, and I'm buried in snow... and everyone with certain political views will call it evidence.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
This even more just in - the weather thread
« Reply #852 on: 16 Feb 2015, 01:04 »

Seattle has been consistently in the high 20's- low 30's both summers I've spent there, so don't move there if you don't want to be hot, ankh. I love it though!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #853 on: 16 Feb 2015, 18:27 »

It's going to be so cold on Thursday that the school postponed the Polar Plunge to next week. Not that I would participate anyway, but it probably is a bad idea to have people jump into a pond in -7 F weather.

It wasn't terribly cold or windy today, but there is 7" of snow and counting, the most we've seen in 2015. Classes in the afternoon were cancelled, which unfortunately didn't stop me from being called into work.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #854 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:01 »

-11F here Thurs, and that's before the wind chill. Not much snow, but damn, the frostbite.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #855 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:04 »

Seattle has been consistently in the high 20's- low 30's both summers I've spent there, so don't move there if you don't want to be hot, ankh. I love it though!
(I'm assuming you're using the Celsius scale there)

Low 30s are hot? Around here low 30s is a mild summer day. Hot is 40+.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #856 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:08 »

30 degrees celsius is 86 F... that's pretty hot
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #857 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:14 »

(I'm assuming you're using the Celsius scale there)

Low 30s are hot? Around here low 30s is a mild summer day. Hot is 40+.
*does some math* 104F or more? Does "hot" mean "People getting heatstroke" at minimum?
Mistakes, ahoy!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #858 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:16 »

It gets pretty hot in the summer in Oklahoma.  A couple summers ago we had a solid week of 115 F weather. (Cue someone from Arizona commenting that Oklahoma doesn't get very hot in the summer...)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #859 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:24 »

Several years ago it reached 122 o F (50 o C in the Phoenix area.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #860 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:51 »

*does some math* 104F or more? Does "hot" mean "People getting heatstroke" at minimum?
Common enough in some places.  It's usually children or seniors who are most likely to have physical problems, as long as they properly hydrate and stay out of direct sun (which means that farm workers are screwed during the summer harvest).  The worst 25 minutes of my life was back in high school, when I was driving home when it was 45° out in California, and the car started overheating, so I had to kill the AC and turn the heat on. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #861 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:53 »

I've driven across the southern U.S. in 100+ F (38 C) weather in a car with no air conditioning. It wasn't pleasant...

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #862 on: 16 Feb 2015, 19:55 »

I never use my ac in the summer unless it's raining or am in bumper to bumper traffic.

"Windows down, music up..."
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #863 on: 16 Feb 2015, 20:10 »

Meh, I prefer the cold.  I can always throw another layer on, and my over-clocked desktop, despite liquid cooling makes a convenient space heater.  The only times I even close my windows are either when it's raining, or I know that there will be loud noises the next morning if I decide to sleep in.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #864 on: 16 Feb 2015, 21:42 »

Being from Norway, I meant celsius and 30 is definitely hot for me. The good kind of hot though, not to keen when it gets over 45 (never gets over 33 in Norway, but I've traveled to a few actually hot countries and my "okay that's way too hot" cutoff seems to be about 45C).
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #865 on: 18 Feb 2015, 21:53 »

Just learned that despite my worst fears, I will not be called into work tomorrow.

Between the super-cold and the snow, all classes are cancelled until 10 AM Friday. The university has warned that any body part exposed for more than 10 minutes can end up frostbitten.

One of their tips was that if you're driving turn your heat up to max and point your air vents directly at your hands. With advice like that I think I'll choose the option of staying inside.

Currently 4F/-16C (which is a degree warmer than tomorrow's high) with -20F/-29C wind chills, with NWS saying the wind chill could get as low as -30F (-34C) tomorrow.

Normally I like snow days, but it's going to be way too cold to be outside at all, let alone sled, go to the slopes, or have snowball fights.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #866 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:45 »

In my VW, doing that would result in even colder hands (via wind chill), because the damn thing takes too long to warm up on my commute.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #867 on: 19 Feb 2015, 14:49 »

Do many people use sump/block heaters in the USA?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #868 on: 19 Feb 2015, 15:03 »

When I was a child it was regularly cold enough for my parents to use one in the South of England.  As our cars didn't have heaters for the passengers either at that time, we would take the (paraffin) heater out from under the car engine and put it in the footwell between the passenger's feet for the journey.  Of course, then we'd have a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen so there'd be continuous wiping and bad vision; or we'd have to open the windows and get cold again while it cleared.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #869 on: 19 Feb 2015, 15:29 »

Depends on where you are. I'm far enough north that you see them occasionally, but not far enough that they're common. Where I am, remote start is far more popular.

Here, I have to open my apartment's window to run a power cord for a block heater, so...

Now, -26 C is predicted for tonight. We'll see if my Golf will even start, if not, I guess I'm taking the Miata to work. Roads aren't terrible, at least...

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #870 on: 19 Feb 2015, 16:00 »

I'm more used to seeing glow plugs on diesels. Don't remember ever seeing one on anything gasoline-powered... though it'd come in handy with the weather we've been having lately.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #871 on: 19 Feb 2015, 16:05 »

So, glow plugs are a different technology, for increasing combustion chamber temperatures enough to get fuel to ignite while an engine is cold. I forget the details of how they work in nitromethane model engines, but in diesels, the fuel is injected when combustion is expected to start, and normal operation uses the heat of compression to ignite the fuel. The glow plugs are used before startup and (on some engines) during warmup.

In a gasoline engine, fuel is often injected when the intake valves are open. You do not want a hot exposed surface designed to help fuel ignite in there, without any control of the ignition timing. Spark plugs are used to achieve controlled ignition, in that case (and gasoline engines are set up to not perform any compression ignition, only using the spark plugs to ignite the fuel).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #872 on: 19 Feb 2015, 16:08 »

Unwanted compression ignition that sometimes occurs in petrol engines is what's known as "knocking", and is very bad both for performance and for the mechanics of the engine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #873 on: 19 Feb 2015, 17:13 »

So, glow plugs are a different technology, for increasing combustion chamber temperatures enough to get fuel to ignite while an engine is cold.
Yes, sorry I wasn't clearer. Glow-plugs in diesel engines are used to pre-heat the head of a cold engine to get it warm enough for the diesel fuel to ignite. Many modern diesels do not require them, because of improved fuel-injection technology.

A sump/block heater is a different thing. It is intended to keep the engine slightly warm while it is parked, so that it starts more easily, and comes up to normal operating-temperature more quickly, which reduces engine wear and fuel consumption. PWH was referring to the old kerosine-fuelled heaters, which were usually flat "wick" lamps with a wire gauze guard, designed to be placed on the ground under the engine. I've never seen one, but my father has described the ones they used in the army. A home-brewed way of doing the same thing is rig a lamp with an incandescent light-bulb on a piece of wood, slide that under the engine, and plug the lead into a normal power-socket. Much better is a properly installed electric sump/block heater, but again you have to hook it up to an electric power-supply in your garage, car-port or whatever.

Oh, and burning kerosine releases a lot of water-vapour. I have forgotten the exact numbers, but I think that if you burn a litre of kero, you release roughly a litre of water in the form of water-vapour, which will then condense out on cool surfaces like a car windscreen.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2015, 17:19 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #874 on: 19 Feb 2015, 17:18 »

And then another step beyond that is systems such as Webasto or Eberspächer coolant heaters, which run on diesel (or gasoline) and heat the coolant (much faster than even the best electric block heaters).

Downside for my application is that they slowly drain the battery, which hurts things in my case due to extreme short trips. And, they're rather expensive.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #875 on: 19 Feb 2015, 17:21 »

My diesel Mercedes has a block heater despite the car being built for the Southwest, where it's unnecessary. Now that it's up here in the MidWest where it's useful, it's still unnecessary because the car is 30 years old and I don't drive it in the winter (I will not expose my baby to that nasty road salt)

What I do drive is a (surprise) Subaru equipped with an oversized AGM battery.

You do not want a hot exposed surface designed to help fuel ignite in there, without any control of the ignition timing.

An undesigned hot spot in a combustion chamber is what causes detonation. Detonation causes engine damage.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #876 on: 19 Feb 2015, 17:32 »

Well, that was educational (seriously... I don't even drive and didn't know half this stuff. Thanks.)
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #877 on: 19 Feb 2015, 17:38 »

To be fair, many (most?) people that drive don't even know the bits about gasoline engines, much less the stuff about diesels.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #878 on: 19 Feb 2015, 18:54 »

All I know is that I learned that my 24 year old car runs surprisingly well in the cold.

Despite my best efforts, I ventured into the white abyss and the -30 wind chills because a friend needed a ride.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #879 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:52 »

An undesigned hot spot in a combustion chamber is what causes detonation. Detonation causes engine damage.

Ah; a different term for what I called knocking.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #880 on: 20 Feb 2015, 14:05 »

Detonation, knocking, pinking... All the same thing; all bad.

Is "waxing" a problem for diesels in your frigid winters? Wikipedia tells me that the USA and UK (like most places that experience cold weather) have standards on the fuel supplied during the winter months (even Australia does, though it is not a big problem here). There are, however, questions about how applicable to modern diesel-engines are the traditional tests for waxing temperature.

If I drove in a place with cold winters, I'd look carefully at the filter heating in my chosen car. Modern diesel engines can be damaged by some of the "old tricks" used to prevent waxing, like adding kerosine to diesel (which is actually illegal in many places, but blind eyes are sometimes turned).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #881 on: 20 Feb 2015, 15:49 »

I have driven diesel cars for thirty years, and never experienced waxing.   Before I could drive (e.g. in the cold winters we had in the 1960s) I remember seeing lorries stuck at the side of the road because of waxing.  I presume there are seasonally suitable amounts of additive included in what comes from the pump, and would never consider adulterating the fuel myself.

"Pinking" - ah yes, I'd forgotten that one; but then, it's so long since it mattered to me (see remark about diesels above).

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #882 on: 20 Feb 2015, 17:31 »

Gelling is the term used in North America, and it is a problem if you get fuel in the southern US and then head up to the colder northern parts of the US or into Canada, or if you last filled up before October or so, and now it's deep winter.

And, the anti-gel additive used by the fuel suppliers in North America is diesel #1... also known as kerosene. Lubricity additives are added to offset the reduced lubrication, but still...

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #883 on: 20 Feb 2015, 18:21 »

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #884 on: 20 Feb 2015, 19:21 »

from my truck when I started up at 0700.

E stands for EAST, the direction I was facing.
and yes, this translates as -20 C.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #885 on: 20 Feb 2015, 19:23 »

Yikes. 

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #886 on: 21 Feb 2015, 00:17 »

And a reminder that Australia's weather is not always benign: Cyclone Marcia hammers Queensland.

looktall

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #887 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:01 »

Don't forget cyclone lam as well.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-21/residents-struggling-to-cope-in-aftermath-of-cyclone-lam/6167518

And I think there's another one forming in the north west.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #888 on: 06 Apr 2015, 07:48 »

I was genuinely convinced that spring would happen soon. Instead it just started snowing again.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #889 on: 06 Apr 2015, 08:02 »

I postponed a trip to the cinema today because the weather is so fantastic.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #890 on: 06 Apr 2015, 13:29 »

Fack. They're now predicting severe thunderstorms along the route I'm going to be driving tomorrow:

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #891 on: 06 Apr 2015, 19:23 »

I swear to all that is holy and unholy if this weather in any affects my weekend plans to get drunk in a cabin with my friends I will destroy the world.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #892 on: 06 Jul 2015, 10:32 »

Holy crap, it's raining hard.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #893 on: 28 Sep 2015, 10:38 »

After a summer of drought conditions, it has been raining almost non-stop since Wednesday night and will continue to do so until Saturday.

I've given up on my hair, there's no point. Also I've taken to wearing my "what are those" non-slip work shoes everywhere because, other than my hiking boots, they're apparently the ONLY shoes I own that keep out water. I got a blister the other day when I was wearing my Vans.

My car also has water in it because the weatherstripping sucks.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2015, 10:45 by 94ssd »

Grognard

« Reply #894 on: 29 Sep 2015, 21:09 »

I have 4" of standing water in my yard and driveway.  :(
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #895 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:09 »

31 degrees F.

I GOT MY FIRST "ICE POSSIBLE" NOTIFICATION SINCE APRIL.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #896 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:20 »

We were camping up in the Yorkshire Dales in the weekend and on Sunday morning there was a moderate amount of hard frost on the field we were in. We have a wood burning stove for our tipi (middle class wanker alert) and in short order we were sat with the door open eating porridge, drinking coffee and enjoying the early morning sun.

Grognard

« Reply #897 on: 30 Sep 2015, 16:15 »

the high temp today was 82F, w/ 80%+ humidity...
more torrential rain tomorrow
AND
there is a fucking Hurricane headed this way.

!!Break out the life preservers and get to the boats!!!

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #898 on: 01 Oct 2015, 00:21 »

We are expected to get some outer bands of said hurricane, meaning that it will now rain until Monday. The sun was miraculously visible for most of today except for the late afternoon/evening when it rained on torrents and there was some flooding

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #899 on: 01 Oct 2015, 15:27 »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up