THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 539633 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The old blog thread has got scarily long, and I've decided I'll be more comfortable retiring it in favour of this nice new one.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

It's so shiny and new!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

We do all like blogging!

Dear blog: today I got into work very late but my boss is being super nice about it. Also I'm dressed all pretty, with my favorite cardigan.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

Dear blog thread,

I'm listening to Barbie Girl for the fourth time this week.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I heartily approve.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Gonna copy my post from the last thread because it's essential all the QC forum world see it, obviously.  :mrgreen:

I found some of my old writings, including fanfics and they're not as terrible as I thought they were. My newer old writing had levelled up from sucking. Maybe in a few years I'll think what I'm currently writing is okay.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Jace proposes petition to change original thread title to Blog Thread IV: Live Free or Blog Hard.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I second that! Though I'd perhaps replace "or" with "and".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am in a bad mood.

However as this is a blog thread, I have the following blogs:
www.geneticallymodifiedhughes.wordpress.com - I blog, infrequently, about books - Genetically Modified Hughes
www.madcap156.wordpress.com - my much more successful music blog, Do They Have To Use Drums?
www.pronomo.co.uk - Project: Northern Monkey, a Manchester based culture website which is about equally as successful

If you only read one, read Do They Have To Use Drums? - I update it most and I'm pretty good at it, sometimes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I second that! Though I'd perhaps replace "or" with "and".

How about "and/or"?

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

The old blog thread has got scarily long, and I've decided I'll be more comfortable retiring it in favour of this nice new one.
Was 255 or 256 a barrier?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

No; it was an arbitrary decision based on a groundless feeling of unease and not knowing how the forum code handles very long threads.  Many forums have a fixed thread length limit which they apply (probably with no more justification) - often at less than 1/5 of the length that thread had reached.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Probably a good rule just to prevent long cluttered threads and to stop people like me who compulsively (attempt at least to) read every page of a thread before participating.

Zingoleb

Jace proposes petition to change original thread title to Blog Thread IV: Live Free or Blog Hard.

that was my idea

just so everyone knows

jace

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

My music TV program debuts tonight (details on how you can watch in description), and tomorrow I'm shooting/directing another music video. Life is good.  :-)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So bad news: Today was terrible, I had two quizzes. It was bloody cold outside, so much so that it felt like I was being cut up by the wind. I was expecting to see bloody cuts on my hands whenever looked down at them. Add on top of that my partner for an activity in class reminding me that it was due today and we hadn't started on it really. Luckily I pulled it off.

Good News: I have only one class tomorrow at noon. And I have very little to do tonight. I might go to zumba
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

that was my idea

just so everyone knows

jace

Oh yeah I didn't note that it was your idea, but I saw that you changed it and I was like thats a good idea.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I'm researching record players for a story I'm writing.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Probably a good rule just to prevent long cluttered threads and to stop people like me who compulsively (attempt at least to) read every page of a thread before participating.

"...Must read all posts..."
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I have a crush on every girl
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

"I know that feel bro" .

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I was out of breath from walking the dog today. Because it's so FUCKING COLD.

Dog doesn't give a shit. The singularity could hit, and he'd still be walking.
Worry Hat, Engage!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

So wait, before I try to jump into this one, how does this thread work?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

We talk about our lives.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

you blog

you do things or you don't do things or you wish you had done things or you think about doing things or you plan on doing things and go on tumblr instead and lose all your free time and wish you'd done something else instead

and then you talk about it

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

It's a group blog thread. You talk about things. Things that happen to you. Things that you think about. It's...I dunno, I'm winging it. Someone help me out, I'm in over my head. *puts on swimmy arm floaties*
Worry Hat, Engage!

Zingoleb

I think I've covered the topic of things already but thanks for the effort señor wingman

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Don't we do that in most of the other threads too? :x

Here goes though!

Pretty tired. Didn't get enough sleep (because I'm stubbornly dumb sometimes), and Tuesdays are my longest days. Kept trying to nod off during Microbiology lecture. >_<

Got done writing a little ramble/rant about Tsundere character behaviors, the pitfalls thereof, and how it fits together with my understanding of D/S-style relationships. Oh, and got to do some cleaning and prepwork for theoretical Exalted RPG I'm running tomorrow night. That'll be something approximating fun I hope.

Zingoleb

I would actually really like to read that.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Hah...I am now known as Señor Wingman...awesome.  ;D

In other news...I'm kicking into a binge of anime soundtracks while I drive during work. It seems to be improving my mood; instead of trying to run people off the road when they cut me off, I just wave and smile. Seriously.
Worry Hat, Engage!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Well I can copy/paste pretty easily. It's nothing grand by any means, just some thoughts running around in my head tonight.

So I've started attending the Ivy Tech Anime Club, as it were. Small thing with little official support, but it fits my schedule and gives me something to be socialable about while I'm stuck at campus anyway, even if truthfully anime isn't really something I make a point of seeking out.

So today, before I nicked off to my Microbiology lecture, we watched the first two episodes of a show named Toradora. I'm not going to describe it particularly; maybe you know it, maybe you don't, either way it's on Hulu if you want to go watch it.

Anyway I made a comment to the group, when we took a moment to discuss it between episodes, that I found the female lead character, Taiga, to be...I think I put it "...kind of irritating as hell, though I get the trope; you have to have somewhere to grow from." It's a pretty common thing in anime especially, though by no means exclusively. TVTropes has a pretty good rundown on how the kind of character I identify the female lead to be, a Tsundere, works. ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere… ) If you aren't already familiar with the trope, you might want to take a quick glance.

Now one major problem that I do have with one of the ways Tsundere characters often behave, and the Taiga character definitely does, is that there's a tendency to somehow make abuse of their friend/potential romantic interest 'acceptable', or at least that's the impression I get from certain stories that dip into it.

This is a little troubling to me for the same reason that some have argued that stories such as Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' is troubling: there is a difficult and hazy line between teaching that love and kindness can uplift and heal troubled souls, and teaching that it's perfectly fine to stay in a relationship with an abusive person because underneath it all they love you. We've all seen, I think, times when people (women especially it seems to me) stick with someone because they 'know they can change him', and we've seen how often that leads to misery and even, at times, death.

One reason why I am rambling about this here on FetLife, of all places, is because I think that most of us have an interesting and compelling insight into such matters that some of our more, let us say 'vanilla' associates may not. I mean come on, a whole lot of us are into the various expressions of Dominant/Submissive relationship dynamics and interplay, including what under many circumstances would be genuine, horrific abuse. But for the majority of us there is an extremely important factor that changes the nature of the entire game from maliciously and selfishly predatory to an expression of romance, love, friendship and joy: Respect, and Permission.

That's what really irks me about subjects like this. Because at the end of the day I don't see any particular or inherent problem with a relationship that involves name-calling, roughhousing, ordering about, hitting even...as long as the parties involved are capable and caring enough to fully discuss and agree on what the rules and methods of their game are.

For full disclosure's sake, I am probably in many cases far more submissive than dominant. I like being commanded, I like serving, I like following another's lead. But there is a bit of a list of conditions that have to be met before I will seriously consider giving another person very much power over me.

But many Tsunderes, including Taiga in Toradora, do not meet those conditions. Outright permission is not asked, outright consent is not given. There is affection, there is caring, but without those first factors it is hard for me to consider that there is respect.

And while I enjoy being a Respected and Loved 'Toy', I despise the idea of being just a Toy.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

@Blue: Happy happy joy joy-style soundtracks? Or just 'I'm zooming down Neon-night Tokyo highway, too cool for road rage' soundtracks? :3

Zingoleb

Good luck getting anyone to listen on fetlife. You'll more or less get ignored while 'WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A TRUE DOMINANT' or "submission (is/is not) a gift!" takes its place on k&p.

(I kind of hate fetlife but I still use it. same thing with facebook.)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Heh. I'm not too concerned; it's a good crowd I run with, for the most part (well 'run' with maybe...still a noob), and truthfully the writing was fun enough. Wasn't really saying anything with it anyway. If someone looks at it, cool, if not that's fine too.

I have certainly seen a few uh...odd things on FL sometimes though, so I can sort of get what you're saying I think. Though what do you mean by K&P?

Zingoleb

Kinky & Popular, which I always regret checking.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Oh yeah, I always forget that's there. There's some cool stuff there sometimes! Though I admit not all of it piques my interest.

But hey, it doesn't have to.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Good luck getting anyone to listen on fetlife. You'll more or less get ignored while 'WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A TRUE DOMINANT' or "submission (is/is not) a gift!" takes its place on k&p.

Lawlz. Yeah, fetlife is NOT the place for serious discussion on any serious subject. Hah.

@Blue: Happy happy joy joy-style soundtracks? Or just 'I'm zooming down Neon-night Tokyo highway, too cool for road rage' soundtracks? :3

Mostly the latter, but sometimes the happy stuff will pop up...like "Doki Doki Love Sugar"...God I love that song. It reminds me of that time I spent hours with my friends at an out-of-state arcade trying to win enough tickets from the DDR machine to buy a toaster. Long story.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

It was my older daughter's 23rd birthday today.  She recently got a promotion at work, which I think I mentioned in the older blog thread. 

My younger daughter (she's 19) decorated her cake...

It only took a couple of hours to do. 

I hope that shows up, it's off my wife's facebook feed. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So wait, before I try to jump into this one, how does this thread work?

Think of it as a shared diary, or what used to be called a commonplace book.

You could read through the previous incarnation to get a handle on it, I guess ;)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Why is that cat so angry?!

A group of my friends from chapel and I are making a cake for another chapel girl's birthday, which is the day before mine. We're making a rhinocerous cake! At least, we're going to attempt to make a rhinocerous cake.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Because it is Tard, grumpiest of all cats.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/grumpy-cat
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

edit - when I posted this, I got the following error message: "Wrong value type sent to the database. Array of integers expected. (quoteids)". Anyone seen this before?

The logs show me that this is caused by an error in the Tapatalk forum plugin; I'm hoping for a fix soon.  It doesn't appear to cause anything else to go wrong.  I haven't determined what triggers it, either.

I have just updated the Tapatalk plugin; I hope this bug is fixed (the release notes don't itemise the "various bugs" fixed).

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Man, that is the best cat.

Not like my last cat, purring contentedly on it's mothers grave for three days after she got run over. . . .
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I cut my hair.
Was going for shorter sides and back and I sort of ended up with a popular 1930s do.

Oh well.

ackblom12

Dear lord yes. It's a great resource, but it's filled with an awful lot of terrible. It's like Reddit in the sense that if you wade through the terrible you can find great and non-terrible stuff, but I absolutely couldn't blame you for not wanting to bother in the first place.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 08:04 by ackblom12 »

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Hello Blog Thread!

I have done lots of Things lately.

Planned a trip to NYC with friends on Saturday. One of them had never been to the Met (!!!!). Well, said friend sprained her ankle and bowed out of the trip. The rest of us decided to take the trip anyway and it was awesome. We started off at Mason Jar for brunch because I found a cheapo restaurant.com certificate. After all was said and done, we paid $7.50 each for delicious food and unlimited mimosas and blood marys. Plus, I tried chicken and waffles for the first time and omg nom nom nom they are delicious. We decided to wander around and ended up at the High Line. I lived in New York for 4 years and had never even heard of it, so I was mesmerized the whole time. Both by the fact that I had never been there and that it was awesome. (I later found out the reason I never went there while I lived in the city was because it wasn't open to the public until after I moved upstate. Pretty good reason lol). We walked the whole length, then decided to head over to the Chelsea galleries instead of the Met. I was nervous that we might not see anything good or that a lot of the galleries would be closed from Sandy aftermath but they were all in good shape again. Well, we walk into the first gallery I see and find out that it is a freaking David LaChapelle exhibit. I was absolutely blown away that it was his work. I've never made it to any of his exhibits before and one of the friends that was with me (Megan) is just as obsessed with him as I am. I'm still kind of in awe. PLUS- it was the last day it was open to the public. We went into a few other galleries after that, saw some great stuff and got really inspired....it sounds crazy but I really felt like I was high on art. The gallery visits gave me the kick in the ass that I needed to get the creative juices flowing again.

Afterward, we met up with a family friend of Megan's and his girlfriend, who were both quite awesome. Proceeded to get wonderfully intoxicated, headed back to Grand Central and chatted on the ride home. It was great to get away and I got to spend some time bonding with Megan's old college roommate- she recently moved back after living in NYC as well but we've never really spent a lot of time together and I was always afraid she didn't like me. It was great to really have a chance to talk with her and we got along really well. Wouldn't be a big deal but Megan is my best friend/maid of honor and we're basically attached at the hip.

More fun things- booked 3 life drawing classes! I'll make almost $100- woo! Also started selling some crap on eBay. I'm determined to improve my financial situation this year...I have way too much stuff and not enough money. I'm tired of just squeaking by with what I have so it's time to get rid of some baggage and make some moolah.

Wedding is 4 months from this Friday- HOLY CRAP. Have gotten a lot done though. Secured a block of rooms for our wedding guests, booked our judge, picked out favors and photobooth background & scheduled my first dress fitting. Now we just have to order our rings,book a shuttle from hotel to venue and work on the stuff that I've been looking forward to. Centerpieces, stationery, veil and accessories, bridal party gifts. We're planning a sitdown with the venue person in March to pick linens, menu and cake.

Phew. I think that's it for now.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

What fun! All of it!

valley_parade

• coprophage

I cut my hair.
Was going for shorter sides and back and I sort of ended up with a popular 1930s do.

Last I knew, Jace, that haircut was somehow making its way back to relevance. There's a hairdresser on OSG who's said he's been doing a few of them recently.

Of course, he's in California, and California is weird.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

Dear lord yes. It's a great resource, but it's filled with an awful lot of terrible. It's like Reddit in the sense that if you wade through the terrible you can find great and non-terrible stuff, but I absolutely couldn't blame you for not wanting to bother in the first place.

Usually I don't read into much beyond the AB+ Fence Sitting Neopolitan Rainbow Unicorns group.

For some reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98   Go Up