THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543434 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Double post tra la la.

I am organising fun things again! Ever so often I grab my diary and plan stuff. My National Trust membership just arrived (present from my brother) and I picked up a magazine of local events and discovered loads of fun free stuff to do. Sending emails to people to ask if they want to come and join me is somehow more satisfying than posting about it on facebook...

I need to strike a balance between super-busy and super-lonely.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

My housing/etc. grant/loan disbursement for the semester comes through this week. Finally. I work a little (for rather little), so I can certainly make the day-to-day expenses with little problem, but it's a *lot* easier to pay freakin' Bloomington rental rental rates with this. Once it comes in I can go ahead and drop the next 4-6 months rent down and use that time to figure out whether I'm going to move closer to school or not, where I'm going to work in the summer, etc.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My house phone line is faulty; callers get ringing, but phone doesn't ring here, and there's no dialling tone anyway.  I can't report the fault (by mobile or by Internet) because BT's fault testing and reporting system is down with a fault...

ADSL is fine, as you can tell!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Housing situation keeps getting more complicated. I thought that my housemate was giving us some cash if we moved out sooner, but that was just a ruse. Now he is gonna just straight up kick the other dude out since he can do that via lease fuckrry. I am still going to look at a new place and hopefully be able to get in by the first of march. Hoping my tax return comes in this month as that'd be a huge boost.
Was up for 27 hours so far. Although my two buddies and I finished cleaning up and re-strapping our other friend's musculata as a surprise.

Here it is on the smallest of us:

For reference, a before picture (on the right):

We replaced the 4 side straps (2 on each side), the shoulder leather that attaches the front and back, and added straps to the bottom of the shoulders rather than string. The leather is part horse butt part just general strapping leather we had in the shop that we dyed dark red/maroon We also cleaned up the dishing on the muscle part and rolled the edges on the back to make it look like the front, rather than having it duck taped, and took off the old bent up leather tassles and added new red leather tassles.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

I need to strike a balance between super-busy and super-lonely.
Yes. Yes you do.  :wink:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Jolly well romanesque, Jace. You need bullwhips, though.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

"Romans came across the Channel,
 All dressed up in tin and flannel."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I haven't been to work in about 3 weeks and it's really getting me down. I'm still on payroll, they just apparently don't think I oughta work for the entire month of January or even the start of February so far.

Meanwhile I'm starting to think this town's too small for me. I can't turn a corner without somebody trying to small talk me to death. Either that or they're trying to waste my time trying to plan or organize something that never pans out. I'm getting so sick of being a townie.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I have to give a seminar on my dissertation at 2pm (which is in 43 minutes) and I am more nervous about the fact that I have to go and buy some kind of mid-seminar snack (usually cake or bookies) than I am about the damn seminar. Why on earth do we have to provide cake? At least I'm still in my birthday diet-pause, which continues until the birthday cake is all eaten.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Providing food does seem odd. I'd prefer buns maybe. Good luck with the seminar!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Well at least that's over. Ugh. It felt thoroughly unstructured but it was useful to me, at any rate. Now I have to write the damn dissertation.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

You know you should have really turned this whole paradigm upside-down in a creatively brave new way, and when it came time for snacks just told them to go fuck themselves. >_>

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Ughh I just had a brain fail. We rent out the conference room to people in the building, and the company down the hall is using it today. Thursday there is a class so I need to make sure to get the keys back from them on Wednesday. So I saw the conference room locked and dark just now, and went, "hey, I need to make sure to get the keys!" so I went down and tried to get them, and the bathroom keys and the projector. And... yeah, it's still Tuesday. Their meeting is at 4pm today.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

(Slow clap)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I ended up standing in this woman's office going "oh god, it's not Wednesday yet, is it? how is it not Wednesday yet?"

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Don't worry, I woke up convinced it was Friday and almost went to the wrong lecture. It should definitely be at least Wednesday.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Yesterday I woke up thinking it was Sunday and felt so smug when I thought my partner was going to work and I could stay in bed for a while. Got as far as sleepily telling him to have a good day.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Today, I woke up at 9am.

For those keeping track, I start work at 8.30am.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

An artist friend posted a sketch on Facebook and they're usually great with everything but there's a glaring anatomy problem and it's causing me pain not pointing it out but I'd feel really rude. It might just be an elaborate doodle that'll never get farther but if they post WIPs I may have to bring it to attention.

In other sentences: My partner and I presented our film outline and got two big reactions, "ALREADY!?" (got the assignment last week) and "Why are teenagers so violent?" Wanted to point out we're not teenagers but that may have made it worse. I defended the script by telling him no violence is ever seen, it's only heavily implied.  :-D Also there's no dialogue, will use three locations max and has two actors who are already confirmed so in terms of resources it's probably the best student film ever.
Seriously though, there's less violence in it than Psycho. I just want to film something super cereal for once.

Zingoleb

I'm so pissed at my friend.

She's offered to help me out before with money - and then when I said yes, I'd like her help, she squirmed out of it and I ended up homeless.

She's got a job, she's gone to college, she's had everything she's ever wanted handed to her - she comes from an upper-middle class family and I *know* she has the ability to help me, twenty times over what I'm asking.

She was offering to give me $250 so I could take my truck up to Vermont and visit her. Well, that was stressing me out because that wouldn't really cover the trip and trying to figure out how I'd make a trip like that was putting way too much stress on me, so I cancelled it and told her what I really needed was...y'know, $250. She said she'd get it to me.

A week later, she told me she couldn't get it to me within the next few paychecks, and is that okay? Well, no, that's *not* okay because I'm fucking desperate and broke now. I'm having to pay to replace my lost wallet and everything in it - I have to pay for the heat here, for my own food, and no, waiting a  month or two or however long it is isn't really going to help me. She said okay, she'd just take it out of savings.

Well, she came on last night (this was all a few weeks ago, mind) we talked for a bit, and then I told her that I kind of need help *now* so I can buy some heating fuel and if she was still going to help me? And she told me no, because she felt unappreciated and resentful of me.

This is the person who I pushed into standing up to her parents, that I pushed into moving out onto her own, that I pushed through transitioning, that I pushed through her name change. She's thanked me for everything I've done for her every time we talk, and told me that I've done *so* much for her and she wants to pay me back for everything, and now she fucking resents me?

I'm so fucking pissed off at her. Fuck rich kids. Every time I've needed help, it's not been the people who have money, not the kids with college education and $40/hour jobs that have helped me, but the ones who are homeless, the ones who are broke as broke can be, the ones who are squatting and dumpstering and stealing to survive.

I'm fucking tired of rich kids and their fucking selfish, privileged bullshit.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

On one hand, I can see where your friend might have been having money problems, or something along those lines, no matter how rich she is. On the other hand, she didn't have to offer you financial help in the first place, and she did a real shitty thing, treating you that way. I'm sorry so many people seem to treat you so badly. You deserve so much better.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I've 'loaned' money to a friend (oddly enough, a pretty similar amount to $250) expecting to never get it back exactly once, when I couldn't really afford it either, and I don't regret it for a second, and what he had done for me was totally irrelevant to the decision. He was my friend, I loved him and he was in trouble, so I helped him. I didn't give a shit about feeling appreciated, I just wanted my friend to be okay. Your 'friend' is a bitch.'

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

On a lighter note, in 2009 when we were at uni, we were trying to find our lecturers on Facebook after a workshop about keeping your online profile clean as a whistle (I did a journalism degree). I, as a joke, added the head of the broadcast journalism route to Facebook.

She accepted my friend request today.

TODAY.

I SENT THIS REQUEST IN 2009.

Zingoleb

I'm not taking anyone's money and please don't try and ask again or try to change my mind please don't okay? thank you.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Also, this happened today:
Jess and I are in bed napping and we hear "MOTHER FUCKER!" from down the hall. Jess goes to leave for class, cautiously, and gets some information. ‎"So apparently he's just stealing stuff now and I'm gonna have to punch him in the face. I hope the house burns down and he's in it and dies" -Crazy Housemate

So I text Other Housemate, saying "hey he is saying you stole his microwave and is very upset." To which the reply "I didn't know it was his, go grab it from my room, I've had so many since I moved in I just didn't know, figured he would have grabbed it with the rest of his stuff the other night" was given.

If anyone is still questioning why I'm moving out.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Also he's having his cat put down since he can't take it with him to his new place and I guess if it isn't his then what is even the point of it living.
 :psyduck:

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

blargh blagh blog. I vented on Facebook about something at work, and people asked about it so I elaborated a bit... and so my mom messages me to not bitch about work on the internet. Despite the fact that I was speaking as generally as possible and all my posts are set to friends-only and it was my DAD doing most of the commenting. Ugh. I hid it from my page now because I did get a little heated towards the end but still.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Do not friend relatives ever why would you do that it's such a bad idea!

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Well on the one hand it pays to be reminded that people will judge you based on your words and deeds, Internet or not.

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with complaining in and of itself. It's an action we all need to do sometimes.

On the other hand advice navigating the sometimes difficult relationship between employee/employer is sometimes good.

On the other hand fuck a busybody, just fuck 'em.

On the other hand I came from a family where Thou Shalt Not Tell was a thing, so my opinions may be informed by my bias against that.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

A few years ago, my sisters and I received this email, titled "Language!":

Quote from: my mother
Girls:

Your father and I would like you to recognize that using foul language does not reflect well on you.  On Facebook you have accepted many people into your public conversation. If any of these are not people you would curse around in person, then you shouldn't do so on Facebook.

In addition, we have raised you all with excellent vocabularies. You know how to express yourselves very well. I suggest that whenever you are feeling inclined to use a foul word that you stop and think of  a word that accurately expresses what you are describing.

Mom

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Not the worst advice there ever was, except that sometimes that word *is* Fuck. D;

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Also he's having his cat put down since he can't take it with him to his new place
:-(  :-(  :-(  :-(  :-(  And I'm not even especially fond of cats.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

My mind is having a pseudo-aneurism trying to process that level of callous inhumanity.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

A few years ago, my sisters and I received this email, titled "Language!":

Quote from: my mother
Girls:

Your father and I would like you to recognize that using foul language does not reflect well on you.  On Facebook you have accepted many people into your public conversation. If any of these are not people you would curse around in person, then you shouldn't do so on Facebook.

In addition, we have raised you all with excellent vocabularies. You know how to express yourselves very well. I suggest that whenever you are feeling inclined to use a foul word that you stop and think of  a word that accurately expresses what you are describing.

Mom
I hate notes like that. Casual lines to inform you you have diminished yourself as a person. Shit like that makes me want to hurt the sender. That's a lot harder with relatives though, than with a random fucker on the internet.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

yeah, but I don't care what some random bozo on the internet thinks of me.

...though, come to think about it, I don't care much what my parents think of me either.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

That's the spirit! Fuck em!
Worry Hat, Engage!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Not literally, though.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

sigh

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

I feel incredibly impatient. It's like I feel something is going to happen but I have no idea what it is or when. I can't sit still at work.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Found a place to live.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Jace: Yay!  With the sane roommate, or Jess, or both, or on your own? 

In other news, my steady tutoring student cancelled this afternoon.  There goes that money...

In better news, I had my first shift with no supervision at the beer store yesterday.  It went well.  Now, if only it was more than once a week...

I need a night job. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Jace: Yay!  With the sane roommate, or Jess, or both, or on your own? 

In other news, my steady tutoring student cancelled this afternoon.  There goes that money...

In better news, I had my first shift with no supervision at the beer store yesterday.  It went well.  Now, if only it was more than once a week...

I need a night job. 

Bouncer?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Maybe see if you can find some administrative work at a hospital or something like that? They always need people to file, scan, and so on.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Bouncer?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm 5'7" (1.7 m) and about 200 lbs (92 kg).  I look smaller (and weaker) than I am, and have a friendly face with a grey beard - I'd fail horribly as a bouncer. 

But the hospital's a good idea...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Just me for now, but my buddy John will probably be moving in as well. I can afford the place on my own, but I'd rather have a flatmate to be able to save some money.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I have a friendly face with a grey beard - I'd fail horribly as a bouncer. 

Wear black t-shirts that are a size too tight, and sunglasses. Switchblades are also a good recommendation.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Got a pan for xmas from Jess's aunt and uncle. It has been roughly 5 weeks since I brought it home. It has a teflon coating and you can't use metal utensils in that, I mentioned that to both housemates. GUESS WHO'S PAN HAS SCRATCHES ALL OVER THE BOTTOM.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98   Go Up