THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543573 times)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

If you produce results, who gives a damn what face you make at them? People need to lighten up.

Oh boy, I get to play Repo Man tomorrow...some old lady didn't pay for her TV repair, so I have to go to her house and take the power board out of her TV. If she refuses, we take her to court. What a boatload of fun this will be...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Zingoleb

Remember to hold onto your blunt companion when you go.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

What are you talking about Ed? If I need a tokin buddy I have a phone
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I think Unicorn means my lug wrench. Which, in real life, is never very far.  >:D
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Felt weird seeing Paul Sorvino in that. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

It was weirder to see Giles. (Fun fact: I'm wearing my Buffy shirt right now.)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

On that note, my wife has the biggest boner for James Marsters, not even joking. x__x
Worry Hat, Engage!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

See, I fight in an A-frame stance, and no one in this area really does that, but the dudes in nearby Canada do fight in that stance.
What is an "A-frame stance" in the context of swordsmanship? I googled, but only found hits for skating and pistol-shooting.
The gentleman on the left there (Duke Brannos) is in the A-frame stance. Essentially, your sword is across your face and your shield is pointed slightly out, creating an "A" shape.

Duke Brannos is also the person who invented the A-frame stance in the context of SCA fighting.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Every time Zydrate Anatomy comes on my mp3 player I can't help but go all:

My partner and I lost a £300 camera we borrowed from college on the bus last night. It must have fell out of the camera bag. Spent an hour crying. Partner got annoyed at me, or annoyed at the situation I'm not sure, for feeling so guilty because accidents happen. I explained even if it's not technically our fault it's still our responsibility. Thankfully someone handed it in this morning and got it back, even the tiny plastic connector was with it. Faith in humanity +300.
Also got £80 from the college I assume as the bursary I applied for since the letter is just an invoice with no explanation. Checked the bank and the money's in there. Good day so far.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

One of my friends has several jobs and one of them is appearing in court representing the bank in home repossessions. She generally doesn't feel bad about it - often it's people's second homes or company's premises, and the system in the UK isn't as brutal as the US one, but occasionally she is aware that she's causing homelessness and she hates it.

I just had a very useful 40 minute phone call with the woman I wrote about contacting last month (and how that was a big step for me as I hate contacting strangers to ask for favours). It was very interesting, she answered lots of questions and was also forthright and to the point in the manner I've grown used to from a certain type of woman - successful, busy, highly-achieving and well-educated - in telling me that a) it would be a waste of everyone's time for me to contact prisons asking if I could visit (I thought this was probably the case but wanted to confirm) and b) I have an obligation to society to make use of the investment in my education. The undertone was "don't waste your talents on being a midwife". I see her point, as I saw the point of the other people who have said similar things, and I didn't argue, but sometimes I do get a bit frustrated that people don't recognise the value of intelligent, well-educated people being on the front line of healthcare services. It is in the day-to-day decision-making that it is most essential for people to know and understand research, policy and ethics.

Also my health wouldn't allow me to do the quantity and intensity of work she does, but there's no point going into that nest of hornets with strangers.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's a sort of intellectual elitism to suggest that work that requires a certain kind of education has more value than that requiring another, such as being a midwife.  Coming from an intellectual background myself, I have seen this often, but I hope that I have always tried to ensure that I don't show it myself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I do agree that there's a difference in the type of education necessary for being a midwife working on the wards and for being a policy researcher in the management of the NHS. What I don't agree on is that one is more valuable than the other, or that I'm wasting the investment in my education by doing the former.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Having gone through 'the process' of having a kid, sort of from the side, of course, since I'm not Galen's mother, I can attest to the fact that it's insanely important to have healthcare professionals during the whole experience with whom you can talk, who will field questions intelligently and clearly and who will not beat about the bush. Judging from your online personality you'd be an asset to have at any pregnant lady's bedside. 
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Thank you! That is nice to hear :) I know I'd make an excellent midwife. Come to that, I'd make an excellent nanny or PA as well (two other career options I'm considering if midwifery doesn't work out). I'd make an awful lawyer and probably not a great teacher either, two things that people keep trying to push at me. Thankfully I'm stubborn   pig-headed  contrary confident enough to make my own life choices!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Somebody told me I'd make a great lawyer and I shot them dead on the spot
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

yes but did you represent yourself in court afterwards, that's the question

Carl-E

• Awakened

May, do the midwifery, but if anyone tries to sue a midwife or legally bind them in some way, please use what you have to leap to the rescue! 

Tights with underwear on the outside and a cape are optional. 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

No way they are totally required
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat

People have this inaccurate belief that I have any kind of useful knowledge of the law! I've done everything I can to choose optional papers which have as little to do with statute, case law and actual legal practice as possible... I do know a bit of medical law but mostly I just do sociological and philosophical stuff!

I would love to have a cape. The closest I've got is my college gown, which is admittedly pretty cool but it is just plain black.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Puff paints and plastic gems would fix that problem.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It certainly would, but it would create other problems, namely that I'd have to purchase a second £40 gown to wear to thrice-weekly choir rehearsals and graduation.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

.....countdown to graduation?  :-P

OH! Orrrrr....you could use the fancy glow in the dark paints that don't show up in daylight and do all of your Justice Serving at night!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Or decorate the inside and wear it inside out for JUSTICE

lepetitfromage

Yesssss. I highly approve of that solution.

Just don't use glitter because you'll be picking it off of yourself constantly and people will figure out your alter ego pretty quickly.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

On that note, my wife has the biggest boner for James Marsters, not even joking. x__x

This would seem to be alarming on several levels

Gahhh. Today has not been very productive. I am a bit sick but I don't like to use that as an excuse. I am going to try to send out an email and work on some genetics homework before I go to eat in about an hour.

I'm also trying to get into the honors college next semester. So I am meeting with my advisor to see if tha's viable with the credit hours I have and the classes I have left to do.

Also, May as a superhero is the most wonderful thought ever. May, if you do become a superhero, can I be your sassy, gay American sidekick?
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I haven't ruled out the possibility that May may become prime minister, although I'm quite sure she has ruled that out. I suppose she could wear a cape as PM, although I'll bet it hasn't been done for a generation or three. Didn't Winnie wear one?

My hope is smaller and more selfish: If I get to the UK, I've told her I'd like to hire her as a driver. I think she'd welcome the experience.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Oh man I went shopping with my sisters this morning and found button-up shirts that actually button over my chest and fit at the waist and hip. This is so exciting you have no idea. Plus they were on clearance for $13 each so I got the two on the rack.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Where did you go?

Also; boobs

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

:parrot: indeed.

We were at the Sears at FSK mall in Frederick. Pretty sure it was this one - I found one in each color.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Poo, not in my size. But yay for boob-appropriate shirts!

lepetitfromage

we are all about the boobies lately.
also- cute shirt! :-)

Carl-E

• Awakened

Some of us more so than others...

:evil:

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

While I can certainly notice a fair chest, I don't really feel anything for them
Like what can even be done with them?
(Please don't answer that, it was rhetorical question)

(Oh please, please don't)
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Carl-E

• Awakened

Well, if nothing else, there's always motorboating

OK, just forget I said that.   :roll: :-D

Papersatan

What can't be done with them. 

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened

If you have a pair, you can certainly get a fair bit done by way of them. 

But that's because some of us are easily (and happily) distracted...

On a completely different note, I just noticed today that my eyebrows are thinning out.  I've never heard of baldness spreading down into the face before, but they're definitely losing hair.  My wife thought they were just getting lighter (read: grey), but no, there's less hair - a lot less hair - than just a couple months ago. 

Apparently, it's a symptom of hypothyroidism, lupus, and a few other things that I have no other symptoms of.  I really shouldn't have googled it...
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2013, 20:19 by Carl-E »

Zingoleb

Is it bad that my first thought with 'what can you do with them?' was piercings?

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal

Apparently, it's a symptom of hypothyroidism, lupus, and a few other things that I have no other symptoms of.  I really shouldn't have googled it...

Don't worry. It's never Lupus.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Like what can even be done with them?

There's not much they prevent you doing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I honestly legitimately met someone last week for whom it actually was lupus.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Is it bad that my first thought with 'what can you do with them?' was piercings?

Me too :D

And I almost wish I could get things done with my boobs. Mostly they just sit there.

Anyway, blog thread, I spent my morning giving medicine to a grumpy cat. I was all dressed up for work (business casual), except for a shirt, and I had to scruff my 13 pound cat and force 4 CCs of medicine down his throat. I got covered in fur and drooled on. And I get to do that for the next two weeks!

Percy, the grumpy cat, somehow managed to lose his left fang this weekend. I can't figure out how. But now he has antibiotics and pain meds so I have a stoned cat.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I honestly legitimately met someone last week for whom it actually was lupus.

My wife has lupus.  :P :emotrex:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Anyway, blog thread, I spent my morning giving medicine to a grumpy cat. I was all dressed up for work (business casual), except for a shirt, and I had to scruff my 13 pound cat and force 4 CCs of medicine down his throat. I got covered in fur and drooled on. And I get to do that for the next two weeks!

Percy, the grumpy cat, somehow managed to lose his left fang this weekend. I can't figure out how. But now he has antibiotics and pain meds so I have a stoned cat.

Reminds me of when my Mammy and I were taking shifts getting the various pills into our last dog. One morning she was really struggling and ended up ringing work to say she might be late. Ended up she got in just in time and told her supervisor the dog was being stubborn and wouldn't take her pills. Supervisor knew about my Da's heart problems and said to her, "If your husband wouldn't take his pills would stay until he took them?"
"Nope. He's big and ugly enough to know better."  :laugh:

Blog thread, I'm on here a lot for the amount of work I should be getting done.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I got covered in fur and drooled on. And I get to do that for the next two weeks!

Well, now you know to do it before you get dressed...

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yeah I had been completely dressed but decided I might want to remove my nice shirt before diving in.

And I've had to be late for giving meds to pets before, though usually it was a ferret, not a cat. My ex told me that he uses the same tricks on me as he did on the pets; get me when I'm sleepy and not fully aware so I take my medicine quickly and with less fuss. Though he was specifically talking about the heparin needles I needed in my stomach for two weeks, he apparently still did that with other medicine he had to help me with. I'm so mature.

Carl-E

• Awakened

My daughter's completely unconscious when I give her the morning meds. 

Thank goodness for feeding tubes (I really never expected to say that...)

lepetitfromage

awwww, neko i hope your stoned kitty feels better soon!  :-(

also......motorboating is hilariously awesome.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Motorboating is so unsexy and yet one of the most fun things you can do with tits.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98   Go Up