THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 20:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 557110 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

So, interview yesterday. I want this job so bad I will get devastated if I don't get it.

It's this kind of job which sounds boring to anyone who hasn't ever wanted to be a lawyer specialized in environmental law I guess, authority/governmental type. I need a foot in the door so to speak, but it's the exact right place for me right now.

Keep your fingers crossed or do what we do, hold your thumb. Pretty please. :)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Rooting for you ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

So I did this on my blog. I'm not sure how I feel about asking for donations...

Personally, I am glad you did it. Though I know how difficult it is to ask for such things, I am hoping it will lead to something good for you.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What happened to not taking money from people, or is just me personally you don't want to have help from?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

It makes me feel better about taking money from people if I'm offering them something in return.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I would have preferred to have the knowledge that we were friends than a video, but there we go. I hope everything works out.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It's really difficult to take someone's money. I am sure you know this, but it gets more complicated the more you need it, and the more money you need. If you're working for that money (one way or another), you feel like you deserve it just a bit more than if you're just asking for money and responding with a thank you. If you already feel "useless" in some ways (Unicorn is not, but I fear they feel like it? I could be totally wrong here), it feels even worse to take people's money like that.

You 'sound' somewhat offended, so I just wanted to interject with my thoughts on it. I could be just talking out my ass here though so yeah
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

No, you've hit it pretty much on the head. Now I feel worse for having said anything.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I'm sorry :(

Zingoleb

It's not you, darling. I just...ugh, I don't like feeling like shit when I'm asking for money. I'm trying to do something so I don't feel like shit but apparently that makes people angry at me too so I don't know what to do right.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm proud of you, Unicorn.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

What happened to not taking money from people,

Sometimes circumstances can overwhelm one.  It was my therapist who said that the most important steps in helping myself were first to recognise that I needed help, and then to accept help when offered.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I was deeply offended when you refused my offer of help last time, because you had been talking about asking others for help and I didn't see why my help was so much less acceptable. And then when you were asking again, I just felt that it was me personally you don't want to take help from. But like I said, I shouldn't have said anything because frankly me feeling a bit offended is pretty irrelevant in this situation.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Heh...oh May, don't worry, it wasn't just you that Uni turned down, it's not a matter of relationship value.

When someone does a kindness or favor for me, I've gotten to the point where I can openly admit that I need to offer a return of some sort a few times (a couple dollars, a favor, whatever) before I can feel comfortable accepting that favor. Even if it's someone who's been my close friend for years. It allows me to both soothe my pride and quiet the irrational alarm bells that jangle in my head at 'being given a gift I don't deserve' (which is all of them, incidentally. Like I said, irrational).

I imagine something similar is going on here. I imagine we all have some meatspace friends and acquaintances who act like that too.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Unicorn, I don't have anything to donate right now but if I get that job I probably will. Not out of pity, more as a protest against the fact that money runs the world and decides your well-being in a way I think is completely disgusting. If there's someone who needs it more than I do, well why can't they just have it? Don't consider it an act of pity.

You could consider it as a unicorn preservation fund?.........!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Oh look, another of my grandchildren is pregnant (and single)...

At least this one is actually asking for advice.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal

All my cousins (younger than I am) have kids now and are unemployed. It's sort of shameful really.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Having a million non-urgent things I have to do is kind of useful for someone with such a short attention span like me (blame the internet) because getting distracted from one task means there's an opportunity to focus on another one.

Paul, you say that as if it's a regular occurence. Is it really that bad?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Second in a month.  I only have two grand-daughters of child-bearing age (unless you include the 13-year-old).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh look, another of my grandchildren is pregnant (and single)...

At least this one is actually asking for advice.

Hodgy Beats, I never really know what to say to posts like these except that you know all our thoughts are with you, and if anyone on this forum is mature enough to deal with such a situation with class and honour, it's yourself.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

How old is this one? As I have probably already said, the girl I am sort of maybe seeing has a son - she was a teenager (fifteen, I think) when he was born and is a single mother and full time student now. It can be done but it is very hard.  There are advantages to having children when you're young but I suspect they are usually outweighed by the financial and social disadvantages. I hope it works out for your grandchildren.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

This one's 22 and living away from home (different city); the first one is 19 and still living at home.  Both have reasonable jobs; the younger's relationship has broken up, but the older one I have no information (a man answered the phone when we called back).

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

This sort of situation can work out great. A friend of mine had her first kid when she was sixteen and she's now living a nice life with a man (not the father of her first kid, who is a douche) and her three kids. She's going to be a teacher.

Just saying, it might seem difficult now but given enough support everything will work out. And you seem supportive, so ...

Anyway, good luck.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Ups and downs;

Down - unemployment ran out last week. 

Up - the online course starts in a week. 

Down - I fell on the ice Friday. 

Up - it happened on school property, workman's comp is taking care of it. 

Down - after getting home too go to my local emergency room, I get a call from HR - I have to use the ER over near the school, 40 miles away. 

Up - it's a tiny hospital, I'm in and out in about an hour and a half. 

Down - x-rays show a possible compression fracture in the lower spine, which explains the excruciating pain whenever I bend. 

Up - on the same day I was contacted by an online educational site that's looking for a mathematician to check their content.  Contract through November for about $40,000. 

Down - OK, can't think of one for that!  Except I don't have the job yet, I still have to speak with their math director...

Up - me in a hospital gown...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Carl you stallion. That an open-backed gown? Do you feel ever so slightly sexy in it?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Any nurses checking out your booty?

Carl-E

• Awakened

Yeah, flashing the bright blue briefs at all of 'em. 

No takers...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

You wrote 'bright blue briefs' but I read 'golden sparkly G-string.'

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I hope you get the job! Sounds good, and maybe the sort of thing that might lead to more of the same work?

Zingoleb

having forgotten what this thread was about, and reading those last two replies...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

You wrote 'bright blue briefs' but I read 'golden sparkly G-string.'

Not a speedo but for some reason I couldn't help but think of this.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

Huh?

That looks a lot like my Uncle Bill.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Goldust is glorious.

Look at that ball-bulge. It's ridiculous.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

There was a photoshopped version with an even bigger ball bulge but it was too low-res to share.  :-(

Forgot to mention it was my friend's birthday party the other night. Lots of fun. We watched Black Dynamite which is amazing. A sister of a friend crashed and was being quite down which would have been okay but it came with a side of LOOK AT ME! Overall it was still great though. I think my friends did a very good balance of Deal with uninvited person firmly but sympathetically and Have fun with invited guests. There were two other crashers but they were the brother and friend of birthday friend's new lady, also they were fun, so they were nice to meet.
Also I have pizza twice that day.

It was a good weekend!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Black Dynamite, we love you.

Quiet.

You'll wake the other bitches.

ackblom12

Doughnuts don't wear alligator shoes!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am smiling.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

WELCOME TO MY NEW APARTMENT
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Ughh I had a huge freakout last night because I tried so hard yesterday and I'm still like 90% sure that I'm gonna get bitched at for something today at work anyway. I want yesterday to go away.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

So last night was the bar night I hosted.  Turn out was not great, but that might be because of the terrible winter storm.  It is disgusting out.  Either way three people came and we had a nice time.  Everyone wants to do it again, so I will organize another for next month and hopefully the weather will be nicer. 

I drank way too much and now I can't sleep from a combination of my now sober body punishing me physically and my racing thoughts.  This happens occasionally, but it particularly terrible at the moment because I am exhausted.  I stayed up til 5 yesterday writing a paper, and then had class at 8:30, so I got 1.5 hours of sleep. I tried to take a nap before the bar night, but my body only let me sleep for 45 min.  I have some homework I need to get done asap, but I can't concentrate on it now because of lack of sleep, and I know when my body breaks I am going to sleep for 10 hours, so it is going to be way later than it should be.   

ugghh
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Heh, not too bad, I guess.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Don't know if I want to take it. I vaguely recall a test from the early 1960s which said I recognized 100k-plus. Obviously a different kind of test.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

30,700, and I kept getting frustrated by words I know I would understand in context but couldn't think of a definition for.  Can you use it in a sentence, please?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Huzzah...I can't believe I got so high. Most of words sounded quite made-up.

My SAT verbal score was 660 out of 800, back in 2004.

Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened

670 for me, but that was back in 1979. And my score came out rather low-  probably because of the reading questions - I don't read much anymore. 

Except forums...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Gareth sends email around people at work asking who wants to go for a drink this Saturday

Email includes the new girls from marketing

One of the new girls from marketing replies observing that she is 17 next month

Oops
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98   Go Up