THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543370 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Even if it's someone you don't really know, or even someone you knew but didn't like much, hearing they're actually dead is quite a shock. How are you doing Lynnie?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I feel horrible to say it but I'm okay. Absolutely stunned but okay. I hadn't spoken to her in months, been even longer since I'd seen her in person. Feeling bad I didn't keep up communication with her.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Lynnie

Gah. That's my middle name/nickname for family so I was like, why is he talking to me?

Welu:
The first guy I dated (in person, not online) died in late 2009. I didn't know until 3 months later. I still feel guilty, both for not talking to him enough and not even knowing he died. It happens. That doesn't make it less awful but you're certainly not the first, or last, person to have that problem. We just can't keep up with everyone we want to.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

A close friend of a close friend of my ex died last year. From cancer at the age of twenty-one, no less. I had spoken to her only a few times at parties and such. Still hurt. Maybe because I found her the most interesting and nice person in that circle of acquaintances of my ex.

Recently visited her grave again. Cannot say I found much solace in that, though. Maybe you might.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

Same thing happened with my ex and some friends I know. Worst part of it was that it was suicide and one of the possible factors was the rift that developed between my ex and the group of friends due to her breakup with her previous ex.

Apparently "H" still has the girl's senior photo that she sent out the year before in her wallet.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Lynnie

Gah. That's my middle name/nickname for family so I was like, why is he talking to me?

I run into very few people who share my name, especially the way I spell it.

~ ~

Two people within ten minutes came up to me in work asking if I'd heard and was I okay and I started crying and got sent home.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm so sorry. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different (somewhat lighter) blog note, my wife's in a show that the local theatre group's presenting for the state competition, called Elephant's Graveyard, a small but powerful play about the true story of Mary the Elephant, who was hanged from a railroad crane in 1916 for killing one of her keepers. 

Preview is tonight, state level competition's in Harrisburg this weekend. 

This is the first time anyone in our family's done any theatre since... hell, for nearly 10 years.  Theatre was, to a great extent, what brought my wife and I together.  It was, until a serious injury, what my wife did for a living - and she was one of the best.  Hair & makeup, costumes, props, set decoration - not to mention acting and stage management - she's won awards for all of them. 

Then she pissed someone big in the local community off, and got blacklisted from one group.  The injury got her out of the rest. 

The fact that she was welcomed back with open arms, is on stage and doing costumes and makeup for this show, and has the full support of all of us (we know nearly everyone in the cast, and all of the backstage folk), has made this one of the best experiences she's had in a long time - especially after dealing with our daughter's illnesses for the last three years. 

She needed this.  And I'm SO glad I pushed her into auditioning. 

Break a leg, love. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Torrwch goes!  from a man whose daughter is into theater, in all of those phases! 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I run into very few people who share my name, especially the way I spell it.

~ ~

Two people within ten minutes came up to me in work asking if I'd heard and was I okay and I started crying and got sent home.

Well, my middle name is actually Lynne, but most of my family calls me Lynnie. A couple (mostly my mom and sister) call me Ellie now, and no one calls me by my actual first name ever. I don't think I've even heard my mom say it in like... wow, I dunno. Like a decade?

As for crying, that is to be expected - try to get all the crying out at home, but don't be too surprised if it hits you at work. Just see if you can take a little break and sit alone somewhere to calm down. The more you try not to cry, the harder it gets, it seems. So you may as well get it out.

Carl - that's awesome!!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened

It was awesome - there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including mine.  Even though I knew the story and half the lines from attending a few rehearsals, it was so moving. 

Found out that out of the 4 state entries this year, two move on to regional (in Rome NY in April), so there's a really good chance they'll go that far.  After regionals, it's national (Carmel, IN in... May, I think?)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

That's great, Carl! :)

~ ~

Happier stuff. Finally started filming for college. I think I've whined enough about my course to justify placing this here. Spoilered to be less obtrusive, is SFW.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

So I bought padded compression shorts for fighting with pads over the hips and tailbone so I'd have hip protection.
Guess who needs to make a better padded gambeson now?
Because not one, but both shoulders got hit:

Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Ouch, holy crap. One of many reasons I never got into the whole fighting thing.

I dropped my kitty off at the vet this morning for surgery. Please send happy kitty thoughts!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

*Sending happy kitty snugs and well wishes*

Good luck little kitty dude!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Jace, while you got the padded shorts, you should look into one of those padded compression shirts that American football and rugby players wear.

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Finished the program for tomorrow's concert more than 24 hours in advance - it's been a while since I've managed that.  This evening will be spent printing, stapling and folding.

Tomorrow will be a busy day, as I sing in the choir, am librarian, and record the concert as well (in a venue we've not used before), while fitting in taking my wife to the railway station and walking the dogs.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Break a leg! If I were nearer, I'd offer to help. I'll do almost anything for a beer. Or a T-shirt.

Carl-E

• Awakened

That should be on a t-shirt. 

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

So, my day got infinitely better
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

It seems my aunt is dying of cancer.

Unsure how I feel about that.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Eh. I know that problem. I cannot advise, sorry, but I am thinking of you.

Best thoughts are on the way, nekowafer.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

It seems my aunt is dying of cancer.

Unsure how I feel about that.
How do you feel about your aunt, for starters? And any other deaths in your near family?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

@BeoPuppy:  How old is your aunt, that's to say, is her getting something like cancer an unexpected change, or is it more that the way to the end is now clearer?

Not sad in the same way, but a little nostalgia inducing:  In the 1960s a large coal-fired power station was built in the countryside at Didcot, near Oxford.  I visited the second phase of this construction during building as part of my university engineering course, to learn about new-fangled things like air scrubbers to clean the exhaust.  These units can no longer meet the EU's latest environmental emission requirements, and today they were taken off the grid and shut down for the last time.  The six cooling towers will be demolished, though it may be a year or three before that happens - an attempt to get them listed (put on a list of protected buildings) has been successfully blocked by the generating company that owns the plant.  In 1968 I took a photo of them against the sunset, but time has not been kind to the cheap reversal film I used:

That photo was taken from the road between my home town of Reading and Abingdon where my fiancée lived, when I was on my way to see her one weekend.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2013, 16:08 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Percy got through surgery okay, but needed a second repair for a monteggia fracture. Which will cost more money. But he will heal and will be all better in a couple of months.

<3

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I had to look it up. I couldn't find a reference to such a fracture in a cat. Rank speciesism! Don't watch the clip if you are squeamish about broken bones going crunch:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Fuck that looks awful
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I can't imagine how painful it was for him. And he dealt with it for over two weeks! Ugh.

I can't watch the video but I did look it up. The vet described it to me as a fracture that happened often when infantry were fighting cavalry - the infantry would have their arms broken while they were outstretched to fight the cavalry.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Jace, while you got the padded shorts, you should look into one of those padded compression shirts that American football and rugby players wear.

[img

Well I actually have armor that covers my shoulders, just that the gambeson (a padded arming jacket) I wear is like 5 years old and I'm the third wearer of it, so it doesn't really have any padding left. I am currently working on sewing a new gambeson and it could be going better. From the pattern to the cutting to the sewing I have fucked up every step and I only hope that I can salvage it when I put the pieces together and have it fit.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

The arm holes are a bit too small. goddammit

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Thanks for the thoughts, I really appreciate it.

75. She's out of the hospital and she's moved in with one of her children to wait for the end. We're not close, but I have little in the way of family. It's just weird to think of someone, waiting. To die. How do you deal? What do you say? And naturally, my mom is upset. She's about to lose her sister.

Lots of things I cannot imagine.
My Art.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I went to the funeral yesterday. Met a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time. Easily the most attended one I've ever seen. Despite the fire-and-brimstone ceremony, it helped to get some closure.

Then went to a friend's birthday party later that day and it was really good fun. Usually I'm late because I'm coming from work or leaving early because of work the next day got to hang out with them till 3am. Also talked to a friend about body positivity stuff because we were talking about weight. I said, "Yeah, I'm overweight." and she was all, "No, you're not!" and I said back, "I'm 14 stone and 5"2. I'm fat. It's okay and I'm happy." Took a couple repeats and rephrasing but she seemed to get it. My other friends and I also discussed how power levels effect sexual conduct. Best drunk conversations I've had in ages, though I was pretty sober.

I also made Baileys ice cream at my parents house and have to go there later to get it out of their freezer. Last check it was freezing really well and tasted so yummy.

Lines

• Awakened

I broke down in front of my boss yesterday because one of my kids has been stressing me out so badly the past week and he did something yesterday that finally made me crack. Luckily I held it together until I was alone in a room with her instead of breaking down and crying in front of all 10 of my toddlers. Yaaaaay... But a bunch of the other teachers heard what happened and gave me a lot of support afterwards, so that was nice.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

I have gone out with school people almost every night this week. It has been great.  Bar night, st Patrick's day, bar night, basketball game, drag show...  I am making more friends with the first years than I did with my own year.  I think that is partially Last year, because of the things with my dad, I just wasn't in the mood for friend making,and partially because of the efforts of one person to make things happen.

Also, I think my crush is into it?  I'd decided that he was not, and that was ok, but now i I feel like he was dropping obvious hints.  Or maybe not.  Ahhh the delicate dance of flirting.

Also, I have an initial phone interview on Monday for an internship that I really want. (Though it does not pay)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened

While walking the dogs, I was privileged to witness a pre-teen mating ritual;

She was nearly a head taller than he was, and ridiculously skinny.  Both probably about 10 or 11.  Holding him by the shoulder of his coat with one hand, she was mercilessly delivering punches to his upper arms and torso with the other, a few well placed kicks to the shin added to the mix. 

He was laughing the whole time amid shouts of "ow", "hey" and "cut it out!".  She was also laughing. 

As the recipient of a few such beatings in my youth, all I could do was wonder what he had said/did to earn the attention...

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

He adores her, so he told her she's ugly.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

That's pretty fucking adorable, I gotta say.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Damn, working as a lawyer can be a lonely job and is likely really bad for my skin too. Been stuck in front of a computer screen ogling case law for most of this week. I'd hate it if I didn't actually like stuff like this.

Work mates are good, a bit tense and stressed out but very nice and mostly intelligent, decent folks. There's this one whiny office hag which I've almost decided that I hate but I think I can deal with it.

I've quit boxing... for now. I simply won't have time to keep in shape what with the new job, playing more music, and the relationship with the girlfriend to take care of. Got me a gym membership though so I have someplace to blow off steam. And a punching bag in the garage.

Hope you people are well, I really wish you weren't posting quite so damn much all the time, because I have no chance to keep up with everything anymore. :P

Papersatan

When I was 9 boy kicked me in the shin and broke my leg.  Every nurse and doctor I saw felt the need to tell me that he must like me. It was infuriating. 

I guess if I had told them he kicked me as retaliation for the gang attack my friends and I carried out against his friend who was mercilessly holding a garder snake hostage in the coat closet all day they might have seen that this was not simply school yard flirting gone too far, but I was not about to get in trouble for my attack. 

Also, is the advice that I punch my crush? Then run and see if he chases me, and pins me on the Sofa and.... Hmmm.
I think I like this plan... :)

Carl-E

• Awakened

I thought you were older than 12. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elephant's Graveyard won second place at the state competition.  Three actors won awards as well, and it garnered best ensemble (it really is an ensemble piece) and best directing. 

So my wife's off to upstate NY next month for regionals...

Meanwhile, my younger daughter seems to be going into an exacerbation - her legs have quit working entirely, she's completely wheelchair bound.  She's also leaking a bit through the night.  I'm worried about her breathing. 

The next appointment with the neurologist is on the 26th. 

Of April. 

Gonna try and move that one up. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Tomorrow will be a busy day,

See the choral music thread in BAND for the concert.

Papersatan

I thought you were older than 12. 

You have obviously not been paying much attention. 

Also, congrats to your wife, and I hope things are alright with your daughter

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

When I was 9 boy kicked me in the shin and broke my leg.  Every nurse and doctor I saw felt the need to tell me that he must like me. It was infuriating. 

Assuming the boy was not a mini body-builder, how the hell did he kick you that hard?  :-o

I'm reminded of the time when I was around six or seven and an older boy who I think was eleven or maybe older tried to steal my bike. Well, his littler brother tried to steal my bike but I pushed him away from it and his older brother proceeded to try to beat me up because how dare I stop someone from stealing my bike. I vaguely remembering sending the older brother away bleeding.

Papersatan

Apparently if you get someone in just the right spot in the shin, it doesn't take much force.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Shins are easy and painful to break. That must have been a bitch.
My Art.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Your usual idea of a kick from the toe won't do it often, but a good stomp will, with ease...

Papersatan

He got me with his instep. like how you kick a soccer ball.  He also had a running start, like how you kick a soccer ball.  He played soccer. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

That makes sense.

Welu status: Full of chicken.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I bought a Tabasco Slim-Jim for my wife, because she loves them, and I decided to get a low-sodium one for myself, since I need to watch my blood pressure. The only ones available were store brand...

It tasted like a mix between the little meatballs that come in a can of Spaghettios, and dog food. Even my father-in-law, who will eat any cooked dead animal, wouldn't take more than a bite.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

Phone interview for the internship went well, though I was not as prepared as I wished I was because I misunderstood the nature of the interview.  I didn't think this was going to have the "tell me about your weaknesses" and "tell me about a project you are proud of" questions on it.   The man told me to expect a call in the next week to set up an in-person interview, so that is great. 

I think I am starting to feel equal to my accomplishments, or that my accomplishments are equal to my position?  I am not sure how to explain it.  But when I was listening to my answers babble out of my mouth I realized they sounded reasonably impressive.  The me from two year ago would have been intimidated by the me of today.  That is a good feeling. 

Let's hope I hold it together for the real interview too, and then graduate, and then get a job and then get a house and then get 3 baby goats and then grow old and then retire with plenty of money. 

Step one, find something to wear to this interview. 

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Step one, find something to wear to this interview. 
Indeed. First impressions are often made within the first 90 seconds...dress the part.

Phone interview for the internship went well, though I was not as prepared as I wished I was because I misunderstood the nature of the interview.  I didn't think this was going to have the "tell me about your weaknesses" and "tell me about a project you are proud of" questions on it.   The man told me to expect a call in the next week to set up an in-person interview, so that is great.
Every interview I've had (and every interview I've conducted, for that matter) has had the old "weakness" and "accomplishment" questions. They're meant to test you and see if you can recognize not just that you have faults, but how you overcame them. Accomplishments can be a measure of your self-worth and your own view of your productivity in the workplace.

The me from two year ago would have been intimidated by the me of today.  That is a good feeling. 
One of the most important things interviewers look for is confidence. We're also looking for the knowledge to perform the tasks the job requires, but someone unsure of how to do them isn't going to stand out in our eyes.
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98   Go Up