THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543602 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Um yeah when I was practicing driving a couple of weeks ago, in a large parking lot, there were a ton of deer hanging around. Like 20. I had to stop (far too quickly, of course) and wait for them to go away before I could continue.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Will you ever look at bambi the same way now though,  Valdís?

Of course. Didn't you see that link? Ohmigosh!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

The majority of the current population of Chinese water deer in Britain derives from escapees, with the remainder being descended from a number of deliberate releases. Many of these animals still reside close to Woburn Abbey.
The main area of distribution is from Woburn, east into Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and North Essex, and south towards Whipsnade.
There have been small colonies reported in other areas.

The British Deer Society coordinated a survey of wild deer in the United Kingdom between 2005 and 2007 and noted the Chinese water deer as "notably increasing its range" since the last census in 2000.

There are currently small, highly localized feral populations

Link for those who want to be traumatized:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1166367/Fanged-deer-savages-dogs--April-Fool-joke.html

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Them being "Feral" means they were brought over by humans, but have entered the wild. Not that they're going zombie. Look at the chaos caused by introducing commonplace species from Europe to places like Australia/NZ (and everywhere else, but it's easier to see rapid changes there).

Also it doesn't matter what they say in the headline, gonna have to need an example that's A) Not on April Fool's, and B) Not from the Daily Mail:roll:

Not that dogs aren't often caught up with wild animals, of course.

mtmerrick

They're demons i tell you! demons! xD

Zingoleb

I almost used an 'xD' emoticon the other day

i managed to stop myself right beforehand, else i might have killed myself out of shame.

mtmerrick

what's shameful about an xD?  :psyduck:

Zingoleb

bitter memories of the internet and my prepubescence mostly

mtmerrick

well i can understand not wanting to remember your childhoood.... >_>

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I prefer XP, because it's both an emoticon and an operating system. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mtmerrick

I still have to use XP at work. When you're living on 7 and Jellybean, XP sucks.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The place I worked at a year ago was still using Windows 2000 for fuck's sake. I couldn't believe it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Uh yeah I only just recently got XP at work, having had 2000 for the longest time. I had to fight for it, too, even though my whole team had it - and I'm the best one here, with computers. It was annoying. We only just recently got Outlook/Word/Excel 2007.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

I kept the people in our company on XP for a long time for two reasons. First I wanted to be able to completely skip Vista, and I was able to accomplish this. Second I was also in the middle of changing the ERP just as 7 was seeming solid enough to be an option. Once the ERP conversion was done and we were on a version that supported 7 we began to upgrade as machines needed to be replaced. We still have several XP machines around, mostly in the warehouses and back of the retail locations.

I think one of the worst things they do to kids in college is make them used to the newest technologies so that is what they think the world is. They are shocked when they get out into the business world and find they need to support legacy systems that run on older technologies. Sometimes there is just not a decent ROI to justify the pain of converting systems and re training all of your personell when what you have in place works.
Signature

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

We're still (technically) on XP. There's supposed to be a department-wide switchover to 7 in the next few months, as XP's support is going by the wayside.  However, AFAIK, there is only one computer on grounds that's available to staff that is running 7.

As a bonus, though, I do have a free* copy of Office 13 that I can order for download if I so choose because of MS's Home User Program.

(* - It's actually not entirely free, as there is a cost for handling, and if you want a physical DVD you have to pay a bit.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have now moved over half my people onto win7 x64, which even our oldest desktops handle - I just upped them from 1GB to 4GB. We've all had Office 2010 for ages, but Exchange is still 2003.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

We're using 7 at work but I have XP on my home computer. But....it's kind of in dire need of an upgrade anyway, so I'll probably just do that after I buy all my new shiz.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Pretty much what happened to me. Old GW finally started to have issues at startup, and I switched to 7.

About two weeks before MS dropped 8.
Just another Joe like 46

mtmerrick

I have now moved over half my people onto win7 x64, which even our oldest desktops handle - I just upped them from 1GB to 4GB. We've all had Office 2010 for ages, but Exchange is still 2003.
this is confusing. What OS were they originally running? XP? XP 64? vista? It sounds like XP or vista 32,but that wouldn't make any sense, because if you loaded W7x64 on there, that means it's a 64 bit chip, and that means you'd be able to have more ram. Very few vista 64 machines speed with 1GB of RAM, nearly all came with 2, because vista was such a ram hog.

So really the only thing that wild make sense here is for those PCs to be originally XP 64 Pro. except that was one of the rarest OSes ever  :psyduck:

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I hate going to parties where I don't know anybody and the people I do know seem to have forgotten I'm there at all. Bastards. They probably won't even notice I left.

mtmerrick

They probably wouldn't. So why are you still there, if you hate the situation so much?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I thought he already had.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So really the only thing that wild make sense here is for those PCs to be originally XP 64 Pro. except that was one of the rarest OSes ever  :psyduck:

No, they were ordinary XP (on Dell Optiplex 745 and later); chips have been 64-bit capable for much longer than people have used it.  And when I say "upgrade" I mean "format and do a new install".  I have not had Vista on a single machine, work or home.

As for XP-64, I used to run that on my home desktop and was very happy with it. I only moved to 7 x64 when I had a stupid problem with one of my main audio programs - a new update needed XP SP3 - but the equivalent in the 64-bit version was SP2, which had the same facilities, but the program rejected it for having the wrong number...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

OMG YOU GUYS TREGUL WAS VICIOUSLY SHOT DEAD BY A SHOWER

(click to show/hide)

gods' speed bygul ;_;7

(Yes, this is definitely what one should be doing the night before a national pre-University test. :angel: )

mtmerrick

Good luck with your test  :psyduck:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

The old tills in work, which were changed last year, ran on Windows 95.

mtmerrick

*tries to imagine running Revit on a Windows 95 machine*

Ye gods o__O

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

They are shocked when they get out into the business world and find they need to support legacy systems that run on older technologies. Sometimes there is just not a decent ROI to justify the pain of converting systems and re training all of your personell when what you have in place works.
Heh... Tell me about it. I've had to support some horrible old dusty decks, especially in my first job after leaving uni.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I still miss my old Mac SE.
Just another Joe like 46

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I thought he already had.

Yup. It seems they actually didn't notice. And I didn't hate it, it was just kind of boring and I was too tired anyway so..

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Fun to start out the day triple-signing 8 documents in my old name for bureaucracy. Here for most of the day. On break atm.

Edit: ghggrhk My brain does not like having to keep up with 23 pages of math in 50 minutes.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2013, 15:07 by Valdís »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

idu, I came to the conclusion fairly recently that most parties suck, and I don't have to go to them. My life got much more pleasant at that point. The reason they didn't notice you were gone was possibly that their observational skills were drowned out by their inner monologue about how the party wasn't that great and maybe they should leave but people might notice and think badly of them so better stay and chat to this really boring drunk person some more.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Oh man, parties that's not really about anything can really suck, and I do tend to leave if nobody's talking about anything interesting. Beer and board games, on the other hand...

Bloggy thread; I just played Magic the Gathering for the first time about a week ago. Learned the rules, participated in a draft, that kind of stuff. And... It's not that great? I mean, the game is pretty good, but the endless stack of counters and effects are just complex, not terribly interesting. I'll probably do some more drafts - probably never going to play constructed seriously (you can lose against someone because they spent more money than you. I stay away from that on principle), but the drafts can be fun, and there seems to be some cool communities around the game.

I'd still prefer to just find a group to play Dominion with on a regular basis.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Zingoleb

the parties i've been to are less beer and board games and more lsd, kmfdm, and shibari.

which is actually p. weird given how many of my friends are beer snobs and play board games

mtmerrick

I've been to like, 2 real parties ever. They're not all that bad if they're people you like and you don't stay overly long.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So I just wasted an hour reading the Jargon File. Again.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I thought I got semi-banned from the forums because I couldn't see any of the Other Fun Things forums but I just shrunk the menu by accident.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I don't want to say it, but having a girlfriend who doesn't like parties is an excellent reason (and excuse) to leave early. I really should bring her with me more often.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Same for if the partner doesn't drink alcohol and you don't feel like drinking.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

This has the drawback that your friends might see your partner as the "joykiller" whenever you bring her/him over, and your partner isn't going to like that in return.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ackblom12

By far the best option that isn't going to unintentionally get your friend or partners labeled as a killjoy is to simply learn to say no, and learn how to leave early on your own. It really really is the absolute best thing you can do. A bit of an explanation to your close friends who are regulars at these affairs may be a good idea as well.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2013, 07:07 by ackblom12 »

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Hey guys, I think I'll go back to posting on this forum again. Just popped in for a sec and realised how many people I know here who I don't have much contact with elsewhere, so yeah, good to be back!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Ooh! Hejsan! Welcome back, I'm kinda new!  :-D

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Welcome back, Metope!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Hi Kris - glad you remember us!

Papersatan

Hi blog thread,

Here is a list of things I did last night.

Hosted a bar night for my program in my city which 14 people came to (an AMAZING turnout).

Got very drunk.

While very drunk:
   bought a new domain name (pubestache.com is mine fuckers....)

started a Facebook group for women in my program (which now has 85 members and a ton of "omg, this is a great idea!! posts on it)

went off on someone about how casual comments about how you should lose weight, and how it is your own fault you are unhappy, because you let yourself gain weight are unhealthy, unproductive and offensive.  This is sure to have added to my reputation as a bitch, but I promised myself I would start pointing it out when people did it , instead of just letting everyone all the time imply that my accomplishments and joys come with an asterisk because I am fat.   

I am amazingly awake before noon, with only a little headache. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Heads-up: one could get your personal information by reverse-checking the domain name (well, not now yet, as the registration seems to not have propagated to all lookup engines, but soon enough).

Edit: 666th post. Awwyeah.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Metope

Aww thanks all, I feel welcome already. In bloggy news, I just came back home from seeing my boyfriend in Seattle, feeling a bit melancholic since I won't get to see him for 4 months. I'm going back for almost 7 weeks in July - Sept. though, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, the jetlag has turned me into a morning person somehow. Been up at 6am every day lately, it's actually quite nice!

Zingoleb

Welcome back Kris! How was Seattle? I'm moving there in about three weeks.

Metope

Really? So jealous! Seattle is amazing, I fell completely in love with it, especially Freemont and Ballard. If everything goes right with this boy (which it looks like it is), I might be moving there myself sometime in the future. Not anytime soon though, I still have a year left of my degree in Glasgow.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98   Go Up