THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543458 times)

Zingoleb

I loved it, too. I only lived there for a few months - I was actually living mostly in Olympia, which is where I'm going back to again.

Love Seattle, love it, love it. So much music and so many queers. I can't wait to go back. I hear summer's on a Tuesday this year.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Funny, I went to Olympia too! That's where my boyfriend used to live, and his parents live there. It was really nice, I can't wait to go back in summer as well when it's warmer out. Plus, Old School Pizza has the best pizza I've ever had in the states, if I lived in Olympia I'd go there all the time.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Hi Metope! I don't think I knew you when you were first here, but welcome back. :)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

Old School is great! I love how '80s it is in there. They toss out all their pizza at the end of the day, and I don't know how many times I've eaten out of their dumpster. Did you see their bathroom with the floor to ceiling graffiti?

Metope

Dammit, I didn't! We just went there briefly one day when it was nice out, and then we walked around taking photos. At one point we were in a huge, empty parking lot (on foot) and a police officer came over and chased us away, saying we were trespassing on private property. In what kind of country can you not be on some random parking lot? America is weird!

Zingoleb

You literally can't see the walls - it's just covered in shit people have painted/written, all the way up to the ceiling - which, despite being fifteen feet up, is also covered in it.

Did you by any chance get to see Burial Grounds? It's probably my favourite coffee house ever, and it's like, a block up from Old School. (Though, let's face it, in downtown Oly, everything is a block away.)

Metope

No I didn't go there. My boyfriend doesn't drink coffee, so he's more likely to know the good food places over the good coffee places, and I just went where he took me this time around. I actually didn't have coffee in Seattle even once, some people would call that blasphemy. I'll definitely check it out next time though!

Zingoleb

Maybe we could meet up next time you're there! That would be pretty cool, I think.

Metope

Yeah, I'm all up for that! I'll be in the area in August, not sure when I'll be in Olympia specifically, but I'm sure we can work something out.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

So when I was drunk last night I started a Facebook group for the women in my grad program, and do far is it taking off!  It has almost 200 members at this point and the feed is a pleasant combination of comedic images/meme offs, interesting links to articles related to women in our field, and important discussions about issues. 

Issue no. 1, who gets to be a member of the group, went better than I could have hoped.  I was drunk when I made the group and proud of my clever name and so the description was simple "for the ladies of...." and directions on pronouncing the group name.  Someone raised the point that they did not consider themselves to be a 'lady' and wanted to know if they were still welcome.  Maybe because the group is less than 24 hours old and I am the only admin people behaved better than they would have otherwise, but I was happy that the discussion stayed pleasant and welcoming.  (My clarification was that the group is for anyone who is not a life long beneficiary of male-privilege, so anyone who identifies as female, was formerly identified by others as a female, or simply does not identify as male is welcome. Everyone seemed to be on-board with it.)

I am really excited that this could be a good space and that it could lead to a non-Facebook based group that can hold talks and what not on some of what I think are the important issues that my program is ignoring. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Yay, spring!  Crocuses on my dogwalk...

And since we missed Easter at the hospital, we had easter dinner tonight - ham, asparagus and new potatoes. 

And bunny cake. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

eeeeeee bunny cake!
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

mtmerrick

Please tell me you ate the ears first  :psyduck:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Neato. What kind of cake is this?

And seconded@ears.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Kris, it's a pleasure seeing you back again!

Dear blag,

The ex-lady has been pestering me for an explanation on why I broke up with her, and after plenty of putting it off, I finally relented. Given the way things have gone with it so far, I wasn't really expecting it to go over too well, and I was right. Spent all morning fighting with her, it was awful. I hate fighting so much. But it was over by early afternoon, save for one outburst from her later in the day. By that point, my day had already been made awesome again by band practice followed by dinner with Matt, his family, and some of their friends, so fuck it.

I gotta work on figuring out how to avoid such ugly breakups, though. It's something of a theme with me. I've had a few that went well, and a lot that went horribly. And I know fully well that I'm the least common denominator and that I should be paying closer attention to my part in these things. I just sincerely have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

And people wonder why I spent over 18 months out of relationships and never wanted to date again... they're hard work, and that shit just ain't something I wanna spend mental energy on.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I watched a bunch of Doctor Who last night, a couple of the time-travel-heavy episodes, and when I woke up I didn't think I was real so I turned off my alarm and went back to sleep for half an hour. Then I ended up leaving the house wearing orange moccasins instead of office shoes. And then there were accidents on the highway so I got to work 40 minutes late. Here's hoping the day/week only improves...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Of course the ears go first! 

It's just a (vanilla) white cake, with vanilla frosting and coconut dyed and pressed onto the frosting for fur.  Jellybean eyes & nose, of course.  It's made with two rounds, when you cut the ears out of one of them, the bowtie remains.  Been making the same damn cake every easter for over 20 years...

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

That is a great bunny cake!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Oh, and Margaret Thatcher died.  I hated her politics, and feel that she caused lasting damage to the UK; but she had become a sad old woman in the end, so may she rest in peace.

(edit) Oops![/i]
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 12:17 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mtmerrick

xD that's priceless.

I am on the phone in a fruitless effort to try and get us a bigger recycling bin, because we always fill ours to the brim.

The worst part of being on hold is the horrible music/ads/automated messages they play.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

My recycling bin is a 240 litre wheelie-bin. If I were homeless, I reckon I could use it as a house. It takes me weeks to fill the thing, and I tried to get the council to swap if for a smaller one, with a similar lack of success.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

mtmerrick

Heh, finally got it figured out. They'll be dropping off the bigger one on Friday. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

My recycling bin is a 240 litre wheelie-bin. If I were homeless, I reckon I could use it as a house. It takes me weeks to fill the thing, and I tried to get the council to swap if for a smaller one, with a similar lack of success.

If you're thinking of that as a potential house... you've got to be smaller than my great aunt.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mtmerrick

wait a sec... *does some quick calculations*

240 liters = 63.4 Gal. we have a 64 Gal, and are trading up to a 96 Gal. You must live alone or something to make that little garbage.  :psyduck:

Zingoleb

well, it was a recycling bin, not a garbage bin, for starters...

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

240 liters = 63.4 Gal. we have a 64 Gal, and are trading up to a 96 Gal. You must live alone or something to make that little garbage.  :psyduck:
I thought you said recycling? In our municipality each household has three bins (blocks of flats are slightly different). We have one 140 litre wheelie-bin with a red lid for garbage (material not eligible for recycling), one 240 litre with a yellow lid for recycling (glass bottles, cans, cardboard, paper, some plastic containers), and one 240 litre with a green lid for vegetable/garden waste (brought in after the state government banned backyard burning in bonfires or incinerators back in the '80s). We put the garbage bin out once a week, perhaps half-full. The recycling takes weeks to fill. The vegetation bin goes out very occasionally, because we compost. We do seem to produce less rubbish and recycling than our neighbours, but I am not sure why. I assume it is because our diet is different.

OK, so I was exaggerating a bit about living in the recycling bin :-P, but I was comparing it with the canonical homeless person's cardboard-box rather than a real house. I am 160cm tall (just under 5'3") and Evelyn is... um... more robustly build.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

mtmerrick

we have the same, except our colors are brown for garbage, green for organic waste, and gray for recycling. the trash trucks come every friday at far-too-early o'clock.

we have, if i'm not mistaken, a 64 Gal green bin, a 64 Gal recycling, and a 96 Gal garbage bin. the green bin rarely gets touched, and at the end of the week the garbage bin is at about 50-70%, depends on what we did that week. but the recycling is filled up nearly every to the brim every week, so we got a bigger one.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Today (the 9th of April) is my and my lady's 3rd year of dating together. Yesterday (the 8th, but still technically today for me as its only an hour past midnight) we went out for dinner and I bought her flowers.

While at dinner my card was declined and it turns out that paypal took out an extra $345 for the rattan order I did on Friday. I'll be getting it back tomorrow probably (I called with a very wtf tone in my voice) and so it will be okay, but it was still a bit jarring to see my checking account at zero dollars when I thought it should be around $250.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My wife and I generate considerably more recycling than rubbish (garbage).  We compost, but use the council garden waste bin for pernicious weeds, because they compost at higher temperatures which can destroy them (branches and twigs we shred for mulch); we also have a small council bin for non-compostible food waste (non-vegetable and cooked), to reduce the attractiveness of the compost heap to rats.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

t turns out that paypal took out an extra $345 for the rattan order I did on Friday. I'll be getting it back tomorrow probably (I called with a very wtf tone in my voice) and so it will be okay, but it was still a bit jarring to see my checking account at zero dollars when I thought it should be around $250.

I had a time when a sales website kept crashing mid-transaction - and I found that PayPal had "reserved" the amount in my account each time; it wasn't taken, but became unavailable.  I did wonder how it could have been done without, and whether full-on crashproof transaction programming is practical through a browser; at the least, the banks would have to cooperate a lot, I guess.  (It's not a field of programming I know much about.)

mtmerrick

Just had a horrible 45 minute screaming fest with my parents...

My dad's an idiot but my mom's just mental....

God I hate them. If be out of there if I didn't need them for college tuition....

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

One of the blackboards in the computer labs here at uni has this text on it:¨

"Adun toridas
En taro Adun
En taro Tassadar
My life for Aiur"

<3
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Metope

Today we got free cake at school, tomorrow BBC will be filming in our studio. The glamorous life of art students!

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

One of the blackboards in the computer labs here at uni has this text on it:¨

"Adun toridas
En taro Adun
En taro Tassadar
My life for Aiur"

<3

Keep an eye out for trouble in that lab, on the off chance it will ever be appropriate for you to then write "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!" next to a computer that won't start.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

In 1968, we were four; students - Michael, me, Peter and Steve (this photo has become famous because of two of the people in it):

Seventeen years ago the most famous of us died (Michael Gerzon, on the left behind me), so then we were three.  Here we are in 2011 at my 65th birthday party.  Me, Steve and Peter Craven (the other famous one):

Yesterday Steve died.  He had been suffering from cancer since 2007, and had 11 operations; but he lived with a supportive family, and spent less than two days in hospital at the end.  So now we are two.

RIP Steve Thornton.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Yesterday Steve died.  He had been suffering from cancer since 2007, and had 11 operations; but he lived with a supportive family, and spent less than two days in hospital at the end.  So now we are two.

RIP Steve Thornton.

I'm sorry to hear that, Paul.. Condolences and hugs.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

My sympathies too.

I had not heard of Michael Gerzon, so I googled him. He died as a consequence of an asthma attack. It is shocking that this still happens. In 1995 Teresa Teng (adored by millions in the "Sinosphere", including me), died at 42 after an asthma attack. Asthma sucks. Cancer too. Support medical research!

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Hey guys, I think I'll go back to posting on this forum again. Just popped in for a sec and realised how many people I know here who I don't have much contact with elsewhere, so yeah, good to be back!

Great, another reason to check in here. Geez!

I kid of course.

Wait, wasn't I supposed to start posting more or something?
Hmm according to a post back in January I was.
I need to start working on that I suppose.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Yeah I'm sort of back as well. It might be a while before I start really posting regularly because I don't like butting in on already established conversations but there you are.

Man I am freaking out about this stupid competition my band is in. For context, I've been the vocalist for a black metal band for the last few years and now that we have a long term lineup we’re starting to become more active. One of the things we're doing is trying to get the support slot for Cradle of Filth when they tour Australia next month. It's through facebook and based on getting people to vote for ore you. I'm getting pretty frustrated with It because we're doing really well considering we're such a small band with such a small following but I'm no sure that we're likely to win as some of the he other bands (who suck btw) just have more friends than we do. I'm also really concerned that I am annoying everyone. I've been putting this all over facebook and twitter for like two weeks and the he red another two weeks to go and man, if I'm getting the shits with posting it then I can only imagine how other people feel about having to read it. I also feel like I'm the only one doing anything with this because the other guys in the band aren't really doing anything to help promote this and I reckon we could actually win if they put more effort in.

Anyway in the name of not being manipulative, please vote for Isgahaatt under the Sydney tab. It would be pretty huge.  http://bit.ly/cradle_of_filth_voting
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

TheEvilDog

So this morning there was an accident that happened right outside my window, in which three cars were totalled, the cops and fire brigade were called out, sirens and everything and remained for at least an hour, resulting in the road being closed for over an hour. The three wrecked cars were taken away by a supposedly loud tow-truck.

I slept through it. All of it.

I am an incredibly heavy sleeper, though according to my father and sister, not even the dead sleep as heavily as I do...

Zingoleb

Hey guys, I think I'll go back to posting on this forum again. Just popped in for a sec and realised how many people I know here who I don't have much contact with elsewhere, so yeah, good to be back!

I kid of course.

well, you always were a prolific poster

(eric, right?)

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Brain-dump time right before sleep!

When Gareth mentioned the city of Preston over in the Relationship thread I was reminded of a short story I was writing when I was like.. 15 or so? Coincidentally it took place in Preston.. or at least a fictional in-my-head version of it, since I hadn't the faintest idea what it was like. Picked something in northern England. Probably because I wanted to write it in English.

Essentially it focused on a girl trapped in a medical institution for all her life, with only the faintest idea of humanity. Although she manages to get away from there for a time in the end she dies without rectification and after the loss of the people taking her in. I've lost the old file I wrote it in, but I did find my old notebook. Later I made a sort-of continuation about that alternative world where it followed an amoral researcher traveling through war-torn eastern Europe (related: those post-it notes).

(Note: I don't really take regular notes. A lot of the time I draw pictures or find little sayings that'll remind me of a mood I wanted to convey.)

(click to show/hide)

Hurray for memories more to do with terrible teenage writing. Fun to still have stuff like this. :angel:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

t turns out that paypal took out an extra $345 for the rattan order I did on Friday. I'll be getting it back tomorrow probably (I called with a very wtf tone in my voice) and so it will be okay, but it was still a bit jarring to see my checking account at zero dollars when I thought it should be around $250.

I had a time when a sales website kept crashing mid-transaction - and I found that PayPal had "reserved" the amount in my account each time; it wasn't taken, but became unavailable.  I did wonder how it could have been done without, and whether full-on crashproof transaction programming is practical through a browser; at the least, the banks would have to cooperate a lot, I guess.  (It's not a field of programming I know much about.)

I didn't fully explain on this oops. What happened was that I sent the payment and then noticed the order was wrong almost immediately after and called the guy. He noticed too and thus refunded me the money and then recalculated and sent me a message with the proper amount. Neither of us knew that paypal sort of fronts the money to the seller then takes it from the account. So what happened was paypal sent the seller $345, then $299 on Friday. The seller sent them back $345. Then paypal apparently still needed to take out the $345 and $299 from my account and then give back the $345, which I should get back today (wednesday).
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My sympathies too.

Thanks, people.

I had not heard of Michael Gerzon, so I googled him. He died as a consequence of an asthma attack. It is shocking that this still happens. In 1995 Teresa Teng (adored by millions in the "Sinosphere", including me), died at 42 after an asthma attack. Asthma sucks. Cancer too. Support medical research!

To be fair (I don't know how much your source said), Michael's liability to asthma was a severe and chronic condition, and not the only serious chronic condition that he suffered from even when I first met him.  Every few years he would disappear off the radar for months at a time, and then reappear just mentioning that he'd been in hospital.  I'm sure it severely limited what he might otherwise have achieved.  At the end, his last attack came while he was out; but instead of calling a taxi or an ambulance, he decided to walk the mile to hospital, on a cold night.  This over-faced his immune system, and he died from complications rather than simply the asthma.

Metope

I'm sorry, Paul. Cancer really is the worst, I'm glad he had such a good group of friends and family around him.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

My sympathies, Mr. Hodges.

My son's kindergarten teacher looks like Selena Gomez. Only taller and slightly older.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I kid of course.

well, you always were a prolific poster

(eric, right?)

Eric is right! (Which is a sentence I rarely hear.)

I do tend to lurk. Let's see
I think that qualifies as lurking.
I shall try to increase that a bit.

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise next month so I may end up posting too much about it as it gets closer.

Hi Jimmy! I voted for your band!

(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Our central-heating boiler has broken. :x

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That sucks hodgy. Having worked in home emergency insurance I know how much of a ballache that can be to get sorted  :psyduck:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Carl-E

• Awakened

No backup? 

I'm a huge fan of backup boilers.  Our house has a gas boiler (from 1965) that's tied into the original cast-iron coal boiler (from 1900).  The "new" one has an electric pump that forces the hot water into the old boiler, which uses convection to send the hot water to the radiators. 

So when the power goes out in the winter (three times in the 15 years we've lived here) and the "new" boiler doesn't work without the power, I build a fire in the old boiler.  Last time, I had the house up to a cool but liveable 60 F in less than an hour, starting from about 40 F when I woke up. 

We had a heating guy in last year to talk about a more efficiemt furnace, and he said "Well, first thing's we take out the old boiler". 

I didn't listen to a word he said after that.  I'm terrible. 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 98   Go Up