THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543816 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Backup is portable electric heaters; houses here are generally smaller than yours, but power failures in urban areas are rarer.  Actually, main backup is jumpers.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Natural gas freaks me out  :psyduck: please make my stuff electricity powered like a civilized person please. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I like gas, especially for cooking. 

Of course, some cooking gives me gas...

:angel:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mtmerrick

Zingoleb

i'm leaving in about 30 hours; packing isn't as rushed as usual (i've somehow managed to get things done ahead of time for once)

at the moment i'm going throuhg my makeup bag, though, as it's overflowing to the point that i can no longer close it. do i really need 8 sticks of mascara?

Zingoleb

(click to show/hide)

HappyHavoc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Please forgive my dyslexia

Deathmole is a great bands. I have really been liking their music.
Also can't wait for some good death metal to come back to town.
Live Love and Headbang!!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Are they different kinds or colors of mascara? Either way, yes.

My makeup supplies are pitifully low.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

I say yes, keep it all! One can never have too much mascara :-) Unless it's like, overwhelming your space. But I think you'd need at least a couple hundred of them to do that. But, I digress....safe travels! I'm glad the day has finally come, I know you've been waiting for this!

Blog thread....I am stressed out. Lots. And lots. My apartment is insane right now because
A) I decided to pull out all my warm weather clothes to find an engagement shoot outfit for this coming weekend
B) I haven't put away laundry that I washed last weekend- after not putting it away the last time I washed it either
C) My friends and family threw me a suprise bridal shower on Sunday (yay! but lots of stuff to find a home for lol)
D) I have been too overwhelmed to do any cleaning

I think the state of my apartment says a lot about my brain and what its current climate is. On the way to the gym Tuesday, Nick and I got into a fight because the guy I bought my wedding ring from gave me a certificate of authenticity instead of the appraisal that I was supposed to get. Somehow this was my fault. It turned into a big meltdown and I refused to get out of the car to work out because I was crying and couldn't stop. It wasn't even that big of an argument, I just couldn't handle anything at that point. Nick went into the gym to work out but came out 15 minutes later, drove me home and then went for a run while I slept it off. We're fine now but I think this week has just been rough in general. I'm super hormonal and ready to just kill things and then crawl under a rock and hide.

Plus, there are projects that JUST WILL NOT END. We've tried to order favors at least 4 times now. First ones were out of stock everywhere we went, second ones were magnet frames that had dysfunctional magnets, third ones were $79 and shipping was $200 (helllooooo scam), fourth ones never shipped because they didn't have enough in stock and never bothered to tell us, fifth ones couldn't be shipped anywhere other than stores in Arizona, California and Texas and sixth ones won't even be shipped to this country. And those are only the ones we "decided" on. I've probably looked at hundreds of 4x6 frames in the last 6 months. Have to put together bridesmaids' gifts too....and buy stencils to etch the groomsmens' steins. And a garter. BLurgrhh. I keep forgetting to send the deposit to the hair place too. Decided against makeup...I can do my own. Fuck spending $75 to get my makeup done professionally. Those people can kiss my ass. The paper flower project doesn't seem to be ending either....so much cutting, folding and gluing.....

The insurance bullshit I posted forever ago is STILL happening. No one from our insurance company is receiving anything we send them. I think they're just stalling because they don't want to shell out $3K. They want me to give up instead.

I haven't had time to go to the gym in almost a week. I neeeeeeeeed to get back. I've also been eating everything in sight. Perhaps that is why I'm feeling nauseous. It's my body's way of telling me to stop being so mean to it.

*sigh*

I went dress shopping last Saturday and broke down in the fitting room at JC Penney. Nothing was working at all. I couldn't find anything I wanted at all, and then when I found cute stuff in my size, none of it fit over my boobs. And the ones that did made me look and feel like I was being suffocated. I wanted to find 3 things before leaving the mall- a new purse because the strap on my current one keeps randomly flying off and making my purse fall on the ground at the most inopportune moments, a rehearsal dinner dress and a pair of shoes for the wedding. I left with a diet coke, cookies and swedish fish. Jeez, everything is about food lately. I even tried to guesstimate yesterday whether or not 55 boxes of lemon heads would fill our bathtub.  :psyduck:

I haven't been sleeping well either. Tossing and turning, feeling like my skin is crawling...not being able to fall asleep, stay asleep or feel even vaguely rested when I wake up. I'm generally pretty exhausted and can sleep for 15 hours if I don't have to be awake for anything, but I've been getting by on 7-8 hours pretty regularly. Not this week....

I just feel like a mess. Everything is a mess right now......my home, my desk at work, my coupon situation, my brain, my body....

Complain, complain, complain, wah, wah, wah.....sorry guys. My first big post in a while and it's just full of bitching and moaning.

I'm hoping to use Saturday after our engagement shoot to tie up all my loose ends. *sigh*

(edited for stupid typo)
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2013, 07:36 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Can anyone help you clean up? It might make you feel better to have everything clean/put away. Then you can focus on more important things.

And is there anyone you can delegate some of this wedding work to?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

There definitely is......in fact, Nick talked to me about asking him for help when I need it. And Megan, my MOH keeps asking for things to do. We've planned an evening of wedding stuff for Sunday, I think that'll help a lot. She's made a ton of flowers for me, so that definitely helps. I'll be giving her some paper when I see her so she can make some at her place.

I just have such a weird issue with asking people for help. I can't do it and not feel incapable. Nick and I have had this discussion so much- he's told me over and over again that he would love to help me, to let him know what he can do, that asking for help doesn't mean that I can't do it, just that it would make my life a little easier. I just can't help feeling that the reason I can't get everything done is because there is something wrong with me, not that I have seven billion things to do. He actually called me Superwoman the other day and all I could do is laugh at him because it's so hard to focus on everything that I have accomplished because there is so much left to do.

Plus, I'm so particular about how things get done that it's hard to just give someone a task and relax about it. Nick did my laundry the other day (*swoon*) but I could never ask him to put it away, he'd be insanely overwhelmed and I would be freaking out that it was all done wrong lol. He's going to help me make a trip to a consignment shop though, so that will get rid of some of the clothing insanity in the bedroom.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Our central-heating boiler has broken. :x

Well, it needed a new valve on the filling loop (trivial), and a larger expansion vessel than the one provided in the boiler (because we have so much pipework), both now done.  More to the point, however, the pump had also exploded (metaphorically - but yes, there's water coming out of it and it tripped the electricity), the replacement for which will arrive tomorrow.  So one more coldish night - but fortunately the weather is taking a somewhat mild turn, at least in comparison with the spring so far.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Sometimes on hot days like today I like to listen to hawaiian music when I walk the streets of DC.

especially "Hawaiian rollercoaster ride" and "He mele no lilo" from the lilo and stitch soundtrack.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

At a workplace it's really hard for me to find a balance between being myself, as in standing up for who I am and what I believe in, and being a functional part of the group. It might be expected of me to be a silent hard worker, probably on a subconscious level, but that role is kind of a skin that's too tight for me. I don't like playing a part, even if it benefits the group. If this had been a group of people outside work the choice would have been easy for me; I'd switch group. But here, with this job I really want and need and almost desperately want to keep, it's hard to find a balance. I kind of want to yell at people "I'M NOT WHAT YOU THINK, I LIKE DANCING AND KARAOKE AND BRUCE LEE MOVIES". I think the reason I fell into this role from the start is that it kind of just works in most situations at work to be sort of quiet and shy, even though that's not what I feel like at all.

Ugh. This isn't very coherent, is it. I'll need to think about it I guess. If I ever have time to stop and do that.

lepetitfromage

Sometimes on hot days like today I like to listen to hawaiian music when I walk the streets of DC.

especially "Hawaiian rollercoaster ride" and "He mele no lilo" from the lilo and stitch soundtrack.

<3 Lilo and Stitch is by far my favorite movie of all time.

IDU- How long have you been at your job? Are your coworkers people that you think you could get along with on a different level? It took me a LONG time to be comfortable enough around coworkers to show some personality but most of them are decent enough people that I can joke around about work stuff, slowly mention life outside of work...and now, I have coworkers that I'm fairly close with- some that I've even invited to my wedding. We don't regularly hang out outside of work, but we can easily have conversations about important outside-of-work stuff, we can have fun together and make the best of what we've got. After all, I see them more than I see some of my friends! And they know me- they know who I am and how I operate and I'm appreciated for what I do around the office, but for who I am as a person. (by some of them....upper management can be a bit of a struggle)

It's a delicate balance between professionalism and individuality and some workplaces tend to forget that there are real people underneath all the paperwork, but it is possible to be yourself to a degree and have others acknowledge and respect that. I'm sure you're not the only person at your job that enjoys dancing, karaoke and Bruce Lee- those things are generally pretty great.  :-)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

Ugh. One of the creepy guys in the local music scene just weaseled his way into being drummer for a singer I know. He's already been emotionally abusive to one singer friend of mine when they were in a relationship, and when he joined the band of another singer friend, he showed up to gigs and practices drunk, and created all kinds of passive-aggressive drama when called on his bullshit before finally getting kicked out (yet he was still manipulative enough where it took the 3rd try before it stuck). Knowing the history of the first relationship, I had wanted to warn the 2nd friend, but since it was a professional relationship, I held my peace, and have regretted it since.

The other issue is that this time the singer is 17, and while she has a girlfriend at the moment, the way he's now targeted 3 of the very top female musicians in the city in succession really creeps me out. Fortunately, she's a smart kid, so I think she can handle his near-certain transformation from smooth talker to pain in the ass, but this time I'm not willing to keep silent.

So now I have to figure out how to approach her about this, as well as let the people around her know to keep a VERY close eye on things if he stays in the band. In the end, whether he gets this chance to redeem himself from past behaviors isn't my call, but I'm going to be damn sure he plays it straight and professional if he sticks around.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

little cheese: Yeah. Yeah, you understand me. Thanks.  :-)

Zingoleb

Are they different kinds or colors of mascara? Either way, yes.

My makeup supplies are pitifully low.

CAN I DO YOUR MAKEUP????????

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hi blog thread,

Here is a list of things I did last night.

Hosted a bar night for my program in my city which 14 people came to (an AMAZING turnout).

Got very drunk.

While very drunk:
  sent May the most adorable email she has ever received

Fixed that for you, Kat.

I have applied for a flat! And pending sudden disasters I think I have been accepted! I officially have a home of my own from June 7th! It is the world's tiniest flat EVER, it is basically the size of a double bed and then just enough space to walk around the bed, but there's a mini kitchenette and a tiny bathroom and it is MINE ALL MINE ALL MINE. I am very excited about this.

I've also been invited to a job interview for a summer job - which would mean not living in the tiny flat for a month, but the job pays twice as much as I'd be paying in rent and provides accommodation and food, so it'd be daft not to at least try to get the job. Exciting times.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

Yay!!! I'm excited for you :-) I remember you being stressed about this. My goodness, all the forumites are moving to a bazillion different places. Exciting changes are everywhere.

Good luck on the interview!

IDU- Glad to help!! :-D

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

CAN I DO YOUR MAKEUP????????

You can try. I always look ridiculous in more than like, eyeliner and mascara.

Carl-E

• Awakened

So the concert chorale spring concert's tonight.  I need to be on stage in my tux by 6:30. 

We're doing Faure's requiem with a small (but mighty!) orchestra for the second half.  The first half is a really... diverse arrray of choral pieces.  From Gershwin (Someone to Watch Over Me in a really cool arrangement) to negro spirituals (Ain't-a That Good News, the first spiritual I ever sang 30 years ago, in a Tuskeegee Choir arrangement) to religious pieces (including a hebrew prayer piece, Shehechiyanu, and one called The Last Words of David) all the way to... hell, I don't even know how to classify some of them. 

Basically, since it's our current director's last concert, it's everything he ever wanted to do with us but never got a chance to in the last 10 years. 

The man is a powerhouse of vocal music.  Before I joined, a friend in the chorale had said that every rehearsal was like a master's class - and they were right, it's amazing to work with him, even though I was only able to for one year.  I'll miss him... but we've already auditioned a new director, and though he seems quite different, he also seems every bit as good! 

But no one in my family's able to come... my wife has a performance of her play tonight (Elephant's Graveyard), my older daughter couldn't get off work, and my younger daughter might be able to come if she can cope with the headaches.  Which means probably not, and I don't want to strand her out there while I'm on stage if she suddenly goes south. 

Well, we'll see what happens.  I'm stoked! 

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Quadraphonic recording or it didn't happen! And a picture or two.

Metope

Not really sure which thread to put this in, but I guess this is as good a place as any. On my way to class today I saw the most disgusting and disturbing thing I've come across in a while, a dead seagull, which its head removed and what looked like grass stuffed into the neck cavity. There were feathers everywhere around it, so it looked like there had probably been a struggle. I know animal cruelty happens of course, but seeing it for myself really upset me, what kind of sick, twisted person can do something like that?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

hey I just met you
and this is crazy
but I'm on bath salts
and yr face looks this seagull's tasty
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So I have two assignments running at the same time, due in next month. This wouldn't be a problem normally, I've done it before, but these two are due on the same day and are both the final assignment for their respective modules. It is not possible to get an extension for the final assignment on an Open University module unless you are at least dead. Why does nobody look at these things before dates are set? Y'know, so people that are doing two modules at once (not an inconsiderable number) don't get stuff like this?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Do the first one first, then the other?

Carl-E

• Awakened

That's the point, there's no first one - they're due at the same time. 

Which was your point, I know.  It's early.  Here. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

It appears that I went into whiny schoolchild mode too early. I've started work on one of them and have got a fair way through it already. SQL queries with simple inner joins (Oh, no! ::)) are pie - though I'm not looking forward to the 80-mark question question later on.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Aw yiss blogthread.

I'm moving house! Admittedly I'm just moving across the courtyard and up one level so this isn't going to be a massive change, but still. Moving! It's been pretty stressful so far but that's because my real estate agent has a fucking amphetamine problem (more on that later).

My housemate and I went to two inspections, both being held by our current property manager, both in the same building. The building is obviously owned by one person/company and is just managed by that one office. Anyway, we look at the first flat which is pretty nice, smaller than our current one overall but with bigger bedrooms and a good balconey. Anyway we ask our Real Estate Agent if we need to fill out an application form and he just tells us to let him know which flat we like and he'll take care of the paperwork as he already has all our details. We then go to look at the second apartment. Just before we enter, the Real Estate agent takes us aside and in a just-between-us-blokes tone of voice says "Boys, just let me know which one you want and it's yours, OK?" which is a pretty cool deal and I guess also means he doesn't have to do a lot of work because he doesn't need to check our references or do a credit check or anything.

We end up letting him know we liked the first one and again confirm that he doesn't need us to send in an application form. He says he'll call us on Monday and sort it out. Unsurprisingly he doesn't call us (he never does) and when we call him he says he's not in the office and that he'll call us on Tuesday instead. He doesn't call us then either but we call him because we don't expect much from him. He's still not in the office (is he ever?) but tells us to call another woman in the office and she'll sort it out. We call her, explain the situation and her exact words were "Oh. Yeah [he's] a little bit special." She then tells us that we totally need to fill out an application but that we're still guaranteed the flat as long as she sends us the form and we get it to her in good time. She doesn't send it to us. We call and are told by the receptionist that she's gone home for the day and that we'll have to call back tomorrow. I explain the situation and ask if the receptionist is able to send us the forms and get treated to the most passive-aggressive lecture on how we can't apply for the unit if we weren't at the inspection on the weekend and that "that's not how it works, you know". I, I think very politely, explain that we were at the inspection but that the property manager specifically told us that we did not need to fill out an application. After arguing with this woman for about 5 minutes she agrees to ask the other two agents to contact us.

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing we get the forms the next day and sort them out. We also are informed that they'd like to show our flat on Saturday (which is way sooner than they legally can ask us) which we agree to because the place isn't that messy anyway so cleaning up was pretty easy. Apparently the Real Estate Agent will also bring the lease for us to sign for the new place.

Anyway he didn't bring the lease. We're not even surprised at this point but he says we can sign it when we pick the keys up from the office on Tuesday. While we're waiting for the inspection to finish housemate and I chat to the agent about our plans for the rest of the day. I mention I might go to the gym and the agent starts telling me about this awesome supplement he takes called Jack3D (which when I type it out looks like it might be pronounced "jacked"). He says it's like drinking 12 redbulls at once and that it's been banned and apparently it killed some people. He also says he bought 9 massive tubs of the stuff and he uses it regularly. After he leaves housemate does some cursory research and confirms that yes, it is basically amphetamine and is fatal when mixed with caffeine and alcohol. So now we know why our Property Manager is completely incompetent and it's because he has a serious substance abuse problem.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Hmm. Jack3d. I know I've seen that one around.. now I know to stay away from it.

From their webpage I read that it contains a substance which is "banned during competition, but not during training". Ho-hum.  :x

mtmerrick

Wow. Just wow. Well best of luck with your new place.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wow, I thought my letting agent was a bit useless but that is really quite something. I hope you get the flat sorted, and I hope that your next flat is not with those people!

All has gone quiet on the renting-a-flat front, which I'm hoping is a good sign. All the application forms have been filled in, I just need to know whether or not I have to send proof of ability to pay and then sign some stuff. Oh and it'd be helpful to know whether I have a job in July, whether I have a university place in September, whether I have exams on the day I was hoping to move... details, details.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

For those of us with short memories, where is all this taking place?

Papersatan

Australia
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

OK. I don't know how much it's going to help but this is the last time I'm going to post about this. The competition ends this coming Sunday and we're down about 20 votes. I think we'd need 20 to 30 to actually make it through to the final round.

If there's anyone who would like to help me out with this then just click here and vote for Isgahaatt under the Sydney tab. You can unlike the page and delete the app and your vote will still count. I'd take it as a massive personal favour to anyone who does but obviously you don't have to do anything.

I'm cross posting this to the thread I made in BAND but otherwise I'm going to shut up about this now. Thanks to everyone who voted. It was extremely appreciated.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

You know, I wonder when humanity is going to grow out of the notion that blowing people up is somehow an acceptable way of getting what you want. Everything in the news for the last fucking month has been about Korea, nukes, missiles, or what have you. Now they're blowing up a sporting event in Boston, with Sandy Hook families in attendance. What the fuck, humanity?

Zingoleb

dat post

dat av

dat irony

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

You know, I wonder when humanity is going to grow out of the notion that blowing people up is somehow an acceptable way of getting what you want.
Not any time soon, I regret to say. When the supposed pillars of our so-called "rules-based international order" feel free to invade and thoroughly trash other people's countries when it suits them, at the price of thousands of lives, why should the uglier and less stable regimes, groups and even individuals value human life any higher?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I saw Andrew WK live tonight everything is great.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Need advice. I guess I'm gonna put this here. Person has been messaging me loads about things and I think I'm just being petty but FUCK. I am pissed off. Same person has sent me multiple messages asking the same questions over and over for a week now. I've answered them I think fairly well but still, under the spoiler is the conversation from the 8th April.

(click to show/hide)

If someone reads that can you confirm I'm not nuts and she did ask the same question multiple times? I refuse to accept short term memory when there's a backlog of messages. Also conversation change in the middle about my classmate, I don't think I've ever mentioned anyone in my class by name to her.
I like this person but I'm getting really frustrated. I guess she's just more chatty than I am? Or she's anxious about going to my birthday? I do appreciate she asked before inviting someone though but each time I see there's a message from her I make the same AAAH noise. Bear in mind there was conversation before this and she's spoke to me in person asking about this stuff as well.

Edit: The more I think about this and read my messages I feel a little like I'm going, "How DARE they message me with polite inquiries!" I can't get the hang of this being annoyed stuff unless it's at myself.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2013, 08:08 by Welu »

Carl-E

• Awakened

Is her name Ditzy?   :roll:

Some people really just can't hold more than one thought at a time.  My guess is she keeps getting distracted by shiny things and squirrels. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, my life for the last few days;

1) Concert.  A rousing success! 

2) Taxes.  Did you know that, when you're a contractor, nothing gets withheld?  And that my wife's social security disability income is taxable, but there's no withholding there, either?  Oh, and the withholding I did have was inaccurate, because I lost a dependent (my oldest daughter now works full time).  $1900 to the IRS.  Gonna have to pay it on an installment plan...

3) Work. I've started writing for the online math testing and training people!  Well, there's a contract, and I have my first assignment, so I won't be here much.  $250 a lesson, and at least one lesson a week through the end of summer.  That makes 4 jobs, but the teaching ends in May. 

4) Cars.  So the van started shifting a little hard, which it's done before when it was not running well.  Then it started shuddering at a stop on Thursday, which made me think it had a vacuum leak.  Couldn't find one.  Driving around Friday, it suddenly didn't take off from a stop until I revved it, then it shuddered into gear.  Yup, transmission.  No, I'd never changed the fluid in... the 7 years that we've had it?  So I did, all day Sunday, and it's smoother, but still had slipping issues. 

So I had to tell you guys about this... I went to NAPA (the car parts place), and asked what they'd recommend.  They said the no-slip stuff out on the shelves was crap, and to try the "red hot dog".  It's called (I kid you not) "Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx"

And, in case you can't see him in the logo on the package, this is Dr. Tranny; 

I'm really not sure which is more disturbing - the name, or the "package". 

Neither of which I'd have even given a second thought to a year ago. 

The funny part?  The damn stuff worked.  The van's driving like it never had a problem.  Now we get to try and figure out how to afford a new used car before the transmission gives out completely...

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you guys a lot, even though I won't be here much. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I'm the kind of person who can't hold thoughts or instantly forgets things. That's why I hoard messages and texts to check repeatedly. Having a date book helps me so much.

~ ~

That package and name is... Yeah.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Carl, I'll look forward to the occasional posts, hoping some of them are updates, and keep you and your family in my thoughts.  I hope we're so addictive that you won't pull back as much as you expect.

And Welu, maybe you should see this friend as somewhat more than ditzy. I don't think of a label for her, but others may.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

With motorheads, you can go ahead and assume that if they're talking about a "tranny," they're almost certainly not using it as the pejorative noun for a trans person. When was the last time you heard a mechanic say "Man my faggot is giving me troubles, I need to swap it out for a new one"?

Dear blag,

I have fantastic news! I just found out that there is a very distinct possibility that Troubador is going to play a set in support of Vampire Weekend's new album! A representative for XL Recordings (look em up on the Wikipedias) happened into the coffee shop where Matt works and where I do my open mic, and she came specifically to drop off contact info for us. We were playing chess just one table away from her and she didn't know what we looked like, she just knew one of the employees there was a member of the band.

Anyway, tl;dr, we might (MIGHT) be opening for Vampire Weekend. :3

SO FUCKING GOD DAMN STOKED HOLY SHIT

mtmerrick

Wow,  that's AWESOME. Best of luck. :)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh my God Pat.

Please remember me on the way to the top.

Please remember that I put your album on my 2012 list.

Please remember that I BELIEVED IN GODDAMN TROUBADOR FROM DAY ONE!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

FAKKIN SWEEET.

I listen to Troubador on the road. It pleases me.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Neither of which I'd have even given a second thought to a year ago.

:)

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you guys a lot, even though I won't be here much. 

Best wishes, Carl. See you around! <3

"Man my faggot is giving me troubles, I need to swap it out for a new one"?

Well, if they were saying that I'd presume they were going through a breakup. A weird breakup.

Anyway, tl;dr, we might (MIGHT) be opening for Vampire Weekend. :3

SO FUCKING GOD DAMN STOKED HOLY SHIT

Congrats, Patrick! Just listened to your site. Boy, it sure sounds professional musiciany. I like it. <3

Edit: At the moment especially 'Cities Made Of Gold', 'Brainwash: Phase One' and 'Another Country'.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2013, 20:00 by Valdís »
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Ah, the trivia of life! My domestic cleaner is back from a month's holiday, and the house has a freshness about it that we can never manage on our own....
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 98   Go Up