THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543423 times)

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

@Unicorn: Oh wow, sorry to hear.. What the hell kind of request is that, especially since he treats you like that.. :-(
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Arthur is too stupid for his own good. I'm glad you're out of there and not going back.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Wow you guys are having a rough time. I just got back from having the best weekend ever at Coachella.

I got to see Alt J, Band of Horses, Dinosaur Jr., Dropkick Murphys, Father John Misty, Franz Ferdinand, Jake Bugg (who'da thought that twangy fucker woulda been a Brit? Not me, but he was amazing), Kurt Vile, Little Green Cars (best of show for small-time acts), Metric, Modest Mouse, Purity Ring (meh), Red Hot Chili Peppers (ultra-meh), Sigur Ros, Smith Westerns (worst of show, definitely), Stars, Tame Impala, local heroes Thee Oh Sees, The Wombats, Vampire Weekend (hahaha right?), Violent Femmes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Youth Lagoon.

Personal highlights include getting completely trashed before Dropkick, my first mosh pit at Dropkick, my first crowdsurf at Dropkick, my first time being 86ed from a show at Dropkick, my face still hurting today from seeing Dropkick, making friends with sweaty fat dudes because of my Red Sox hat at Dropkick, Jonsi Birgisson of Sigur Ros holding a high falsetto note for over a minute without a single crack or falter, Father John Misty being the coolest fucking person alive, and the girl in my group holding my hand for a short little bit (same one I mentioned having a thing for in the relationship thread) in order to keep from being separated by heavy crowds.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

I'm actually having a great time, I just wanted to vent about that stupid motherfucker.

That sounds like an awesome time! I'm happy for you, dude.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Not only is Jake Bugg a Brit, he's from my goddamn hometown and he keeps making music videos in places I recognise.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Not only is Jake Bugg a Brit, he's from my goddamn hometown and he keeps making music videos in places I recognise.

"Oh my god, he's making a music video on that street corner? I took a dump there, I'm famous by association!" :mrgreen:

I kid, I kid. I think Weird Al filmed parts of a music video in my hometown...which is...weird. :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I assume plenty of artists have filmed stuff in Baltimore. There's also The Wire, of course.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

... and NFL films presents: road to the Superbowl.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

I assume plenty of artists have gotten stuff in Baltimore.

how i initially read that.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well. That too.

Zingoleb

I assume plenty of artists have gotten stuffed in Baltimore.

how i initially read that.

how i meant i initially read that, which is still probably applicable

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yep.

ETA: There's a huge art school nearby so... absolutely yep.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 07:42 by nekowafer »

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!

Dear blog thread,
 I am about to go to the midnight screening of Iron Man 3. I am excite.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Oh man so, I've recently started putting up my old stuff on eBay, and people are actually buying it! One of the pairs of shoes I'm selling are currently going for 40 quid, and there's still three more days to go of the auction. Why didn't I think of this before, it's been cluttering my closet for ages. The money is going straight into my saving account though, because I'm trying to be a Responsible Adult.

My only problem is that I put all the stuff up at once, so the auctions will close at the same day, meaning I'll have to mail an entire Ikea bag full of parcels at the same time. Apologies to everyone behind me in the post office queue in advance.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

If you can weigh the parcels accurately enough, you can buy the postage on-line and print it on labels - then you can just take the bag and hand the parcels over (has to be before the end of the next day) without any hassle.  The Royal Mail website's a tad unfriendly, but it gets the job done.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

Oh that is a great idea, I didn't even know that service existed. Thanks!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

You need a supply of labels in hand, of course (four to a sheet is best if not all the parcels are large and flat, but the website also handles two to a sheet); you can feed the sheet several times, removing each label as it's printed of course, and tell the site which label to use each time.  Actually, I have sometimes used plain paper and stuck it down round all the edges, but labels really are preferable.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zingoleb

You need a supply of lesbians in hand, of course.

how i misread that.

Metope

Yeah I'd have to just use plain paper, since I don't have my own printer and the uni/library printers can only be used with paper provided by them. Oh well, I'll see what I can do, worst comes to worst I'll just go back to my original plan.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

You need a supply of lesbians in hand, of course.

how i misread that.
Your version is better.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

you know what they say, a hand in the bush is worth...two birds.

:psyduck:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

So, there have been two rabbits in front of my window for the last two hours or so (at least that's when I noticed them.) One of them seems to be something like a Big Lop and the other has your typical upright rabbit ears, but is plain black. Is likely a plain, or possibly melanistic, European rabbit. They look pretty domesticated, so I assume their former owner just left them there (or they escaped through a hole in a fence or something). They were grazing and hiding in the big hedge from time to time.

Was on the phone with girlfriend, when I noticed; she is a former veterinarian nurse (or something close to that). She told me to call the local Animal Welfare Society, who in turn told me to call the firefighters (apparently, the fire brigade is in charge of catching run-away animals as well, which I didn't know.) and be insistent about it, because they don't like sending people out for that, despite it being their duty.. Fire brigade told me "well, if you happen to catch them, we can pick them up, but we are not in charge of catching them ourselves".

I called Animal Welfare again. She told me "Damn well they are, I will call them myself" and called back a few minutes later saying they would be coming soon and to wait in front of the house. So I waited; after roughly fifteen minutes, a car of theirs pulled in with two guys; the older of the guys told me that they wouldn't go to great lengths to catch them; we walked to the hedge to check on the rabbits, who had hidden there. The guys were discussing about how they couldn't possibly get through the hedge and would probably only distress every other animal in the bushes while attempting to catch the rabbits. Also told me that I just haven't seen the rabbits until now because they are nocturnal (which is apparently bullshit) and that they would feel well enough here, with the bushes to hide (arguably true) and plenty of grass to graze on.

Called girlfriend to report; called Animal Welfare woman to report. She was furious and started ranting about how house rabbits are not used to finding their own food, would inevitably fall prey to birds of prey (as far as I know, there aren't any big birds of prey here, unless you count crows, of which we have plenty) and would probably get run over by traffic (the hedge is bordering a street, which is, however, not heavily used, and there is still the boardwalk part). I said I was not willing to pursue this further with the fire brigade. She told be that she would speak with a colleague of hers who knew more about rabbits and then decide how to proceed. So at this point I think this is the end of the story for me, except that I will probably keep seeing the rabbits in front of my window.

I think the Animal Welfare woman may have overreacted a bit, but the fire department probably under-reacted.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zingoleb

i miss when the chatter description was "all of these people have had sex with each other"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Unicorn, kiddo: go take a cold shower.

;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

The people that description mainly referred to are now in another forum, which at present is calmer than this one.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That can't possibly be true.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Another forum?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

That can't possibly be true.

They're growing up too.  And that forum is not gaining new members like this one is.

Another forum?

Several years ago this forum was home to a group of people who came to use it as their private Internet area, causing friction with those who came for the comic; they now have their own forum, which is hardly growing because it has no real links to the outside world.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

mmm. Sounds like a delicate situation. How do you control a forum to stay on the point in a thread that literally asks its users to talk about something else?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

You know about herding cats?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's my job description.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Yeah I'd have to just use plain paper, since I don't have my own printer and the uni/library printers can only be used with paper provided by them. Oh well, I'll see what I can do, worst comes to worst I'll just go back to my original plan.

Whenever I need to print labels I use regular paper and just use packing tape to tape over the edges and usually then the whole thing to protect from rain.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Oh also yesterday at practice I ended up getting punched in the shin with the edge of a shield. It was a fluke, I was stepping backwards away on a 45 degree angle and throwing a low shot and my opponent blocked low but my other leg ended up right in the path of the shield . gave me a good bump and cut the skin a bit, ended my fighting for the night and I'm suffering today at work. Walking hurts just a little if I've been sitting for too long. Now the next project on the block is to make greaves after we finish my helmet up.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I'm at disneyland  :-D

Metope

My new flatmate is SO WASTEFUL, I don't know how it's possible to go through two toilet rolls a day, keep the lighting on in every room all the time and forget to turn the heating off + window open when you leave every day. Plus one day she just decided to put all the recycling in the regular waste bin just because she didn't know where the recycling went, what the hell! How hard is it to just leave it to the people who know, or just, I dunno, ask them? It would have required less effort than throwing it all together. She's definitely paying the bulk of the bills next time they come around, this is nuts.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Yeah, same here. I only share the kitchen in my apartment, but when there's a bottle of dishwashing liquid on the sink, we have maybe three people using it on a regular basis, and it empties around twelve times faster than the dishwashing liquid I keep in my own cabinet. I've since stopped buying it for general use.

There's also a bin full of plastic shopping bags - not the flimsy white ones, the ones with logos that you actually have to pay for - that one of my flatmates just keeps buying over and over again when he buys groceries. I don't really mind, because he doesn't use them for anything else and I can use them to put my garbage in, but you'd think he might wise up and keep one in his pocket eventually.

On the plus side, I've managed to get everyone to stop throwing their wine bottles and glass jars into the bin and put them in a plastic bag next to it so I can bring them to the glass container.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I don't know how it's possible to go through two toilet rolls a day

You must be joking, there probably ain't enough curry in all of India to give me Delhi Belly enough for two fucking rolls in a single day
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Metope

I think she just stacks them in her room or something. The day she moved in they just started vanishing, iunno. It's weird.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Some kind of cleanness OCD with regards to wiping? I've known people that goes through almost a roll for every single shit, because it apparently never feels clean.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

That's what showers are for.

Does she use them to blow her nose?   I use toilet paper to blow my nose, so I take rolls from the bathroom in to bedroom and what not.  Also if I have a cold I can go through a roll a day.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Metope

She literally removes a roll from the bathroom every day, there's no sign of it being half used or even of the cardboard thingy in the middle. Why can't she just buy her own package and keep in her room if she needs it for whatever? She better buy the next package at least, I bought a massive 24 roll package last time so it would last for a long time.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

That's what Bidets are for.

FTFY.

Except in cases "I feel dirty" in general, in which case take a shower of course.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I was keep a roll in my bedroom by the computer desk.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Back in the 80s, TP kept disappearing from the women's john at my office at a rapid rate. There was a suspect, but I don't recall that she was confronted. It was solved, IIRC, by switching to one of the larger commercial size rolls. She was simply stealing, we figured, and couldn't help herself. I'd guess that's what's happening here. In my pre-Metamucil days, I'd go through TP pretty quickly. And my butt was really sore as a result.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Bob! When did you become a moderator?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

It sort of snuck up on me. And there was no press release.

Well, that wasn't very informative. Tuesday.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013, 14:52 by Redball »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I wondered when someone would notice! 

I've been feeling for a while that although we were getting along fine with three of us (not counting the people who are still mods but no longer visit the forum at all), it gave little leeway for going away, being busy, or indeed just not feeling like it for a day!  Bob has the accumulated wisdom of age, and is well liked and respected, and we were pleased that he decided to join us when we asked.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I actually noticed, and congratulated him by PM. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I claim I've been offline for a few days. (Mobile forum browsing doesn't show images)

Congrats, Bob!

~ ~

Hey guys, I'm a dumb person who has already bought more WRASSLIN' tickets for the November shows. More expensive ones at that (WHOO! Slightly closer! Possibly close enough to have a visible sign!) but damn my partner and I are poor and have no self-control. Seriously though I'm still so chuffed from the shows and it makes me a happy Welu so it's worth it I claim. I dunno.

Also I thought I was way behind work wise because of missing two days but it turns out:
~ Two weeks longer on one assignment than I thought
~ One tutor has a, "Ehh, as long as it's in before the external examiners come." attitude.
~ Final tutor has been off for about three weeks, which doesn't mean we have more time but have a reasonable basis for saying, "There was no one to TEACH US." since our covers didn't teach the subject.

Also, also I'm celebrating my birthday tomorrow! My actual birthday is on the 30th.

Also, also, also I have my practical driving test on May 15th. I think there's an 85% chance I pass depending on nerves and what maneuver I get asked to do. Only one I'm not sure about is the parallel park because I've only done it twice, although I've done it mostly grand both times.

My computer doesn't think "maneuver" is a word.

I didn't mean for this to get so babbly.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Went to Friday Night Magic. Traded snapcasters and some other rares I wasn't using for 4 R/G shocklands. Also learned to play Kaijudo. My buddy who works for Dave and Adams (where FNM is hosted) gave me booster packs and starter decks to get started playing. Like I needed another goddamn collectible hobby.

The first one is always free
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98   Go Up