THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543657 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Oh fuck! What happened?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

my roommate has been acting really unstable towered me and blowin up on me over stupid things (i.e. i don't trust men makes me sexist) and she's been talking to the landlord and she gave me vague bullshit like she did before but apparently my friend agrees but is torn up about throwing me out.

i feel okay, just numb and sad but if i think about the details i get angry over all the bullshit.

i want to stay here, but i don't know if it'll happen now. likely not.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Can't you just... not interact with each other on that level? Like live together and all that but no discussions on topics they're going to be stupid about.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Power went out about 90 minutes before my shift so I show up at 3am to a completely dark parking ramp. Both the other guard (a 120ish lb young woman) and I decided the best course of action was to nope the fuck right out down the block and hang out in car until the sun came up. Well, she went home, but she had previously noped the fuck right out of a dark office
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

to nope the fuck right out

I must find opportunities to integrate this phrase into my everyday vocabulary.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

we played a house show last night. we were surprised how many people even showed, but I guess the hosts are no strangers to throwing 'em. it was a shitload of fun, we played our most energetic and our tightest set yet. it was hotter than everloving fuck in that backyard barn (no AC, and it hit the 90s [fahrenheit] yesterday) so by the end of it I was completely soaked through. haven't been in pants that wet since the last time I went swimming in my clothes.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

also, because I love you guys, here's something that will fix any bad day you ever have. wait for the ending.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

I got to Arizona 3 days ago.  My initial impression is that Tempe is kind of a dump even though everything (except gas) costs more.  I looked into public transportation and unless I enroll as a student somewhere it is more expensive than gassing and maintaining my SUV.  I am used to Boise transport being bad, but nearly free.  My apartment isn't bad.  It is old and kind of nickel and dimes you for services, but it is still pretty cheap and close to work.  I won't have real internet until the 17th, and have been going to the apartment offices or across the street to McDonalds for wifi.  It is a pretty big change and I had a minor panic attack when I got here, not knowing the area, being low on cash and gas, and having absolutely no support system.  I really should have figured out a way to move with my girlfriend because doing everything by yourself a thousand miles away from anything or anyone familiar is damn hard.  I am going to spend all my extra time studying for grad school and maybe find some places to volunteer.  I need to get a lot of stuff.  I have been sleeping on the floor the whole time.  The 112 degree weather probably bothers me the least out of all the changes.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Welcome to Arizona! 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

Thanks!  I feel a little better about the area being here for a few days.  Still need to get a bed, but I have just about everything else.  Just got done with my first day of work and I like the people and the environment.  It isn't my dream job or location, but I have time to work on that.  For now I am going to make the best go of it I can, and save as much money as I can.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I was out with my buds last night and Matt's lady and I were giving each other a hard time about something, and our buddy Daniel pipes up and goes "And this is why you're single, Pat" and Matt's like "Nah, it ain't that, it's 'cause Pat has hella issues"

I know he was kidding and I laughed it off but after thinking on it for a bit, it's fairly true. maybe I oughta see a therapist.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I need an internship by Friday to get summer credit, and I don't have one still.  I can do one in the fall, I have room in my schedual, but it is depressing me that I couldn't find one for summer, and a looming anvil of self doubt and hatered when all my peers have great internships and I am at home playign tetris.  ARRRGGGHHHHHH   I still have a few applications out, but I am nto feeling great, we will see.

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

i've decided to forget about housing from now on and focus on a vehicle instead

i get trapped in houses and never get anything done; i'm tired of housemate drama, i'm tired of getting trapped, i'm tired of worrying about rent, i'm tired of worrying about my home

if i'm homeless for a couple months, w/e, i can handle it - save up and get a station wagon (cars are too small to sleep comfortably in; a van would be ideal, but far too expensive and conspicuous for what i need right now). work on seeing shows and connecting w/other musicians, network, like. play more shows, get recordings.

summer plans.

Papersatan

Got a call about an internship!!!  Missed the call though so I will call back tomorrow morning.  I know the company culture at this place is 'hip', so I think my hair should be ok.  I also know a guy currently interning there.  Even if I can't get academic credit (which I will bitch about if it is the case) this would be such good experience for me for what I want to do. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Yay! What is it that you want to do?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Go go go hip internship!!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

i've decided to forget about housing from now on and focus on a vehicle instead

i get trapped in houses and never get anything done; i'm tired of housemate drama, i'm tired of getting trapped, i'm tired of worrying about rent, i'm tired of worrying about my home

if i'm homeless for a couple months, w/e, i can handle it - save up and get a station wagon (cars are too small to sleep comfortably in; a van would be ideal, but far too expensive and conspicuous for what i need right now). work on seeing shows and connecting w/other musicians, network, like. play more shows, get recordings.

summer plans.

Not commenting on the actual plan, since I don't know a lot about America in this regard. Just saying you remind me of someone whose life got a great turn for the better as the result of them getting a car. That's all :)

As always, good luck for everyone who need it. Which is probably everybody. So good luck everybody :)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Yo so I got cup checked today straight on, sword coming in perfectly parallel to my junk. Game over. No points. Glad I was wearing a cup though. Also these:
shoulder:

hand:
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Papersatan

Yay! What is it that you want to do?

It changes, but in general I want to work with the people who use technology.   

Right now I want to do this by working for companies that produce enterprise management software on development and testing.  So software for content management, records management, customer relationship management, basically any software which a company will force its employees to use, I want to work on the initial research into what users need (as opposed to the companies's management) and then the testing of the software to make sure it works well and makes people's lives easier, or at the very least, not harder. 

This internship would likely be doing usability testing for software. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

That sounds awesome, have fun!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

15,700 acres consumed, 360 homes destroyed, two people dead. 5% containment. Day three of the most destructive wild fire in state history. I was getting really upset when I was going out to help on one of the ranches to assist with rescued horses and I spent a good part of my day tossing hay bales around and sneezing. I found my hope there. From the minute I got there till well after I left people were coming by with coffee, donations of hay, and other horse/live stock materials (to the tune of four or five tons over the last two days since the fire started) and this is happening all over the city. I've been a lot of places for disasters but no city pulls together like Colorado Springs. The only places that really do it like we do are small towns. It's a refreshing attitude.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

(click to show/hide)

So I'm going to update myself with a much longer blog type post.

As some of you might know the state of Colorado is currently suffering from two major wild fires. The Black Forest fire has burned 15,700 acres, destroyed over three hundred homes and killed two people making it the most destructive wild fire in Colorado's history and the second major wild fire inflicted on my home town of Colorado Springs in two years. Thousands have been displaced, and more heart breaking, the Black Forest area is horse country, hundreds of horses and other livestock have been rounded up along with more common family pets like dogs and cats. I almost bought a horse last year from a ranch out in Elbert country, a little mustang mare named Buttercup, I decided I couldn't give her the attention she deserved, and didn't have the financial ability to take on the burden of a pet with minimum $6000/yr in expenses... but the boarding ranch I'd selected was right in the heart of the mandatory evacuation zone. The thought is like icy claws around your heart... I've always had a close relationship with animals, particularly horses and dogs and picking out a boarding house for what was to potentially by my horse made it easy to emphasize with the people around me who's animals were missing. Helping spread lost horse and pet notices didn't help either. It's hard to communicate emotion and tone through text, but some of these notices, begging for help to find a treasured companion... you could hear the tears.

So I decided to something with what I had and went and worked for a few hours on one of the ranches that were taking in refugee horses... while I was there, from the moment I showed up to the moment I left donations never stopped, from small things like coffee and doughnuts for the volunteers and staff, to hay and feed for the animals. It was the last that was most common, from an entire semi trailer load, to a hundred bales here and there, to a little boy who came with three twenty pound bales in the back of his dad's truck. His father said the donation was the boy's, as were the bales, he'd purchased them with money he'd made from a lemonade stand. Through it all it was a city coming together in the face of disaster again. A city of 500,000 people that still acts like a small town, one of the best parts about living in Colorado Springs. All across the county people are working and coordinating together to ensure all are fed and sheltered, that no lost animal goes unfound or uncared for... a far more cynical me once spat on the idea of miracles, I can tell you now with a few more years on me that I am wrong. Miracles happen. Not from the will of the Divine, or fate or fortune. We are the miracle, a miracle waiting to happen for ourselves or for someone else every single day. The choice is yours to make. The magic in this world is contained in every single human heart in we do so little as love and do what little we can for others. Alone against all the darkness in the world a single light can do nothing, but together, hundreds of thousands of millions, of billions of lights... the light of a species coming together can illuminate the darkness in such a way as to outshine the sun. Together there is nothing we cannot do. No matter how small the kindness... an encouraging word, a helping hand, can change the world for another person. If that's not the magic of friendship and love at work in the world, I don't know what is.

It's all down to you though. A question you have to ask yourself. How can you make the world just a little bit better today?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Well, you made mine better today.

Papersatan

Today I had a short phone interview for the internship, which I think went well.  I will hear back by Tuesday.   I also had a meeting with career services at my university which I left feeling great.

First, she told me that the deadline for the internship is flexible, so I have some time to get one still. This is great because the original deadline is tomorrow.  She also went over my resume and gave me a lot of great advice for tailoring it for the types of positions I want now.  Additionally, she gave me some good ideas for networking which sound reasonable for me.  Also, and this is the best news that just made me want to dance, she told me that my hair should not be a problem for me.  It has been an issue on my mind for some time now because I really don't want to change it.  She said that several people have been hired from the program with non-traditional hair colors, and that using the color on my resume and cards was a good idea to build a 'personal brand'.  This has been my plan all along, but I never got any advice that it was a good plan other than from people who were apt to lie to me to make me feel better. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I did my part yesterday.

And today. (I have the blood on my shirt to prove it.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Loki

• comeback tour!

[internship stuff]
Yay!

Also, pretty hair color.

I did my part yesterday.

And today. (I have the blood on my shirt to prove it.)
?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Well, Thursday I got adopted by a cat. :)

And Friday afternoon I took said cat into her new vet because she had apparently made one of her sutures start bleeding.

On a side note: anyone know how to get kitty blood out of carpeting?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

A substance called "Nature's Miracle" will get just about ANYTHING out of carpeting.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

The Colorado fires are crazy.  There was a fire near Boise last year that filled the entire valley with smoke for most of the summer.  I woke up every day with a headache.  It was started by a firefighter of all people, who wanted to get attention from his dad.  Now, getting started working in insurance I pay attention to this sort of thing a little more closely.  I work in auto claims, but want to get into catastrophic field work soon (of course cars burn too, but people tend to take those).  A whole lot of my friends worked fire lines in the forests in Idaho and Oregon during college.  One became a smoke jumper for a while, it is the only natural disaster you really need to worry about in the west, unless there is a freak hail storm or you live on a flood plain.

I am not too sure how to go about making new friends here.  All the people I work with seem to have kids, or nothing else in common with me.  I know I am not the only 26 year old to be in a mosh pit last week (saw The Thermals for the third time this summer), but I get alien looks from coworkers when I bring it up.  I have discovered that "adults" really do talk about the weather a lot.  I have been asked how I am liking the heat here in Phoenix probably 50 times (I do not have strong feelings about it one way or the other) and zero questions of substance.  People marvel when I tell them I walk to work since I live a mile away (I am broke guys, moving is expensive and it takes just as long to drive).  Maybe it will be easier when I start saving up some money and can hang out downtown?  I always used to joke about the stereotypical pac northwest hipster, but they don't have them here and it turns out they were all my friends.

Hopefully I get my own internet on Monday.  I have a dumb phone and a six year old laptop that needs to be plugged in wherever I go, so now I am in my apartment office.  It has given me time to read and study for law/grad school, though.  Kind of nice.  I always thought life would be easier if I got a degree and a job, maybe it used to be, but I am struggling with the realization I may have been happier with a crappy minimum wage job living a carefree lifestyle with my friends.  The job itself is cool, though!  People find the most creative ways to bust their cars.  ADVICE: Avoid wal-mart parking lots.  Grocery stores don't tend to be too bad, but wally world is the place you will get your vehicle ruined.  If I get industry certifications the company pays for it and gives me a bonus when I complete it.  If I get this CPCU designation (it is like a CPA for insurance people apparently) I get a $400 bonus, and around the time I complete it I get a trip to Hawaii for me and another person for the industry conference.  Also, on my third day here I got a $2000 pay increase!

tl;dr: fire bad, moving hard, job good.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

ADVICE: Avoid wal-mart parking lots.  Grocery stores don't tend to be too bad, but wally world is the place you will get your vehicle ruined.
Oh God Yes. This is part of why I never go to Walmart anymore. I once got my taillight crushed when I made the mistake of going to Walmart in the month of December.

The other part of why I never go to Walmart is a different story entirely.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I went to the city last night to hang out with my brothers and saw a screening of The Room. There were games where you chanted any time the Golden Gate Bridge was on screen and threw spoons at certain scenes. So much fun!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

A Girl I Really Like returned from a trip to her old town on Wednesday, and she and I spent the rest of the day hanging out. I won't bore anyone with details about how our friendship has progressed to this, but it's a really awesome feeling when you and a close friend seem to be falling for each other. We're on a good wavelength, it seems, and our moods balance each other out.

I've managed to talk her into watching Firefly with me, and yes, I do plan on actually watching.

Zingoleb

a friend of mine just randomly loaned me $1,000 so i can buy a van to live in.

wow.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Wow indeed.

I won't bore anyone with details about how our friendship has progressed to this

Oh come on  :x

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Unicorn, that's awesome!

And Patrick, I am in a similar situation. I met the guy I like in high school, over 10 years ago. We are just now getting close, very close. And it's awesome, because I already know him. Instead of a new guy that I have to figure out.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

a friend of mine just randomly loaned me $1,000 so i can buy a van to live in.

wow.

That's a lot of money. Wow.

Lines

• Awakened

I am loving San Diego, especially Coronado, which is where we're staying. (More on that later.) What I am not loving is the jet lag and waking up before the sun, haha.

Especially when I'm getting work emails about things no one bothered to talk to me about before I left. Not checking those emails anymore! (They go to my phone, I am not actively seeking them out.)
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2013, 22:16 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I won't bore anyone with details about how our friendship has progressed to this

Oh come on  :x

Don't gimme that face, the story ain't that great anyway. This is pretty much all of it. I met her through a mutual friend of ours, and she annoyed me at first, and then I warmed to her a little bit, and now I've warmed to her a lot. She was really in-your-face friendly right from the start, which kinda bugged me because I am kinda like a cat. Let me come to you and sniff you out a bit and don't pet me til I say so, you know? She won me over anyway.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I am kinda like a cat. Let me come to you and sniff you out a bit and don't pet me til I say so, you know?

I have a wonderfully adorable mental image of you skulking around like a shy cat and then sniffing her hand and rubbing your face on her

GarandMarine

• Awakened

eeeee my new Pmags got here today! Muwahahaha high quality 30 round goodness! Eat THAT Governor/Democrat controlled state senate! I have beaten your embargo on fun by a whole two weeks! Your pathetic ban is nothing!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Thunderstorm here. Flash!

BOOOOooooooooommmmrmmrmrmrmrmrmrmrmrmrmmm.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I am kinda like a cat. Let me come to you and sniff you out a bit and don't pet me til I say so, you know?

I have a wonderfully adorable mental image of you skulking around like a shy cat and then sniffing her hand and rubbing your face on her

Aside from the sniffing this is actually not far from the truth

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I imagine that you make derpy faces like my cats do when they're investigating someone as well. And it makes me want to hold you like a baby and rub your tummy.

Me, creepy? Nah.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Apparently, someone can just randomly lose their hearing for seemingly no reason, from one hour into the next, with no guarantee that it'll ever return.

That someone turns out to be me. I've become almost completely deaf in my right ear. Doctor says there's nothing they can do because it's in my inner ear, prescribes me some corticosteroids and says that maybe they will help.

Damn it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Whattheouchfuck

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Shit that's not good at all! He had NO explanation at all as to what could have caused the hearing loss? What the mothering fuck?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

That is so scary!  I cross my fingers for you that it is one of those weird things that just happens out of nowhere and then after a while goes away again; I'm afraid I can think of nothing else to do.

I don't know what tests your doctor has done; but this is a case where I'd expect to be looking into scans that can image localised brain activity, to see whether there is something going on in there, like a localised haemorrhage or thombosis, for instance (sorry if that's an even more scary idea).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Another repeat of AH so scary. I really hope things get fixed quickly for you.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I don't know what tests your doctor has done; but this is a case where I'd expect to be looking into scans that can image localised brain activity, to see whether there is something going on in there, like a localised haemorrhage or thombosis, for instance (sorry if that's an even more scary idea).

This! Sudden changes in sensory capability are definitely something worth checking out to the fullest.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

It's definitely an inner-ear problem because my vestibular system is also shot to hell. I'm constantly dizzy and every head movement feels amplified. Common causes seem to be bacterial and viral infections, but aside from a nose cold a couple of weeks ago I haven't had anything of the sort. The cold had symptoms unlike those I usually have, but otherwise it was unremarkable. Another possibility is a blocked blood vessel in the inner ear, which fits with the gradual hearing loss - I was still able to hear high-pitched sounds (swallows) about an hour after onset, but that quickly disappeared as well.

Some internet sources point out that clinical trials indicate the efficacy of corticosteroid therapy in these unexplained cases, and that if it ever gets better, it's in the first few weeks. After that, there are no documented recoveries. So I hope I'm one of the former cases.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98   Go Up