THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

End of the week: How will he get to the wedding?

Planes.
- 1 (2.7%)
So who's taking him down to the airport, just to fly back up to Burlington? #FAIL
- 2 (5.4%)
Trains.
- 1 (2.7%)
The station is a bit out of the way (Amtrak line is up in Amherst).
- 1 (2.7%)
Automobiles.
- 4 (10.8%)
But *whose* automobile? Marigold? Steve? EMILY? CLAIRE??????
- 14 (37.8%)
Hitchiking? Walking?
- 0 (0%)
Uhm, no. Skinny indie boy legs won't get him out of NoHam.
- 0 (0%)
Spaceship? Stealth blimp?
- 1 (2.7%)
Hannelore's sick, remember?
- 0 (0%)
Bus?
- 1 (2.7%)
Like he would last on a Greyhound.
- 3 (8.1%)
Bike?
- 2 (5.4%)
Harley's aren't his style.
- 1 (2.7%)
AnthroPC?
- 0 (0%)
Okay, now you're just getting silly.
- 6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2372-2376 (28 January - 1 February 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 124416 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

After this, I'm not sure she would be welcome ...
Considering the fiance played along, I doubt he'd hold it against her.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Haaaa....Maurice seems awesome, I want to see more of him.

...Yes, that is a double-entendre. Deal with it. 8)
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Comic we have.

Hm. Seems like Henry is the one who gives Marten his sarcasm.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

God dammit Marten...he's almost as bad as I am at opening mail.

How old is Maurice anyway? He looks about Marten/Steve age... LOL Henry's such a cradle robber.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Interesting...sooner than I thought but not as soon as some others guessed. I wonder if we'll get a jump to then like before the pool party. (Two weeks as opposed to a few days, but still)

Red text...Bluesummers, I usually open mail as soon as I get it if only because I almost never get mail. At least not the snail variety.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Interesting.

Two weeks notice and not having spare cash is not being a jerk,  that's life.     Why don't you help your son out there DAD and spot him a round-trip ticket.

(gee not channeling real life at all here hugughblugblugzugbulhhhh)

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Why don't you help your son out there DAD and spot him a round-trip ticket.

I understood that that was the idea?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

That's my impression...he'll cover Marten's tickets.

Of course, Marten could have just asked [insert friend name here] regarding the date, because chances are that most of the main crew got invites as well. Just sayin.

...Just saiyan. Heh.
Worry Hat, Engage!

• 1-800-SCABIES

Why don't you help your son out there DAD and spot him a round-trip ticket.

I understood that that was the idea?

Perhaps! 

I saw it as Martin not going at all and Martin-Dad resigned to that fact.

WE WILL FIND OUT SOON... YES?

westrim

Jesus Jeph, we know you're Childfree and snipped and proud of it, stop grinding it into the ground. Yes, isn't it horrible that another person can make unreasonable demands and force you to shell out money because you still want them around, so let's make this into another comment on how horrible kids are and how much almost none of your characters want any! That's not children, that's family and friendship.

Sorry, sore point. This bugged me the first time a year or so ago when he newsposted or twittered about it when posting a comic, and once or twice since then, and now we get it twice in a month. I don't care what he accepts (helps that I accept most of it too), but I'm not really interested in inserts of what he rejects.

*looks at signature*
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2013, 21:11 by Westrim »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Sorry, sore point. This bugged me the first time a year or so ago when he newsposted or twittered about it when posting a comic, and once or twice since then, and now we get it twice in a month. I don't care what he accepts (helps that I accept most of it too), but I'm not really interested in inserts of what he rejects.

If you don't like it, you're not required to read it.  :P

Jeph pokes the buttons of all kinds of folks, using various subjects like homosexuality, transgender, cheating/adultery, BDSM, mental disorders, etc. I know it's bound to hit a nerve with someone here and there, but that's life.

Example: I cannot STAND listening to my parents talk about how my wife doesn't deserve me, I never should have married her, etc. So I don't listen to them anymore. I still see them every once in a while, but I've come to accept the fact that they're never going to change, so I tune it out.  :parrot:

*looks at signature*

We can pull off at the next rest stop so you can pee and pick up a bag of doritos.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This one actually struck me as a bit of a departure: it could have been a Something Positive episode in terms of the emotional dynamics.

From what we've seen, Henry and Veronica enjoyed parenthood.

Would you trust any of the major characters with a kid?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Angst, drama, gloom and long distance phone calls

Wait

This is QC!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Red text...Bluesummers, I usually open mail as soon as I get it if only because I almost never get mail. At least not the snail variety.

It does lend a certain gravitas to snailmail these days, I agree. The latest thing I got as an actual letter was a fancy invite for my cousin's wedding later this year... So I guess it's officially wedding-announcement-notes these days.  :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

westrim

This one actually struck me as a bit of a departure: it could have been a Something Positive episode in terms of the emotional dynamics.

From what we've seen, Henry and Veronica enjoyed parenthood.

Would you trust any of the major characters with a kid?
Faye. Though if we're talking about longer than a few hours... Still Faye. Penelope. Momo. Dora. Angus.

We can pull off at the next rest stop so you can pee and pick up a bag of doritos.
I could go for some cheetos, actually.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I'm confused. How does "I'm glad you can make it" fit into your interpretation?

... almost none of your characters want any (children)!

Apart from this couple and Dora, are there others that we know about? My memory is not that good, I'm afraid. I was a bit surprised by the "almost none" assertion, though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

westrim

... almost none of your characters want any (children)!
Apart from this couple and Dora, are there others that we know about? My memory is not that good, I'm afraid. I was a bit surprised by the "almost none" assertion, though.
Tai and Steve I think, Marten, Hannelore (obviously, unless she gets a lot healthier). Pretty much everyone that's given an opinion yea or nay except Faye.

• 1-800-SCABIES

I'm confused. How does "I'm glad you can make it" fit into your interpretation?

Totally missed that.   hughghghgbublbuggguuuh.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

Angst, drama, gloom and long distance phone calls

Wait

This is QC!!

And disappearing vegetables!   :-o 

• 1-800-SCABIES

Is "hide the carrot" a variation of "hide the sausage?"    Perhaps some heretofore unknown vegan euphemism I was totally unaware of... until I made it up?

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

Is "hide the carrot" a variation of "hide the sausage?"    Perhaps some heretofore unknown vegan euphemism I was totally unaware of... until I made it up?

I was going to go with the vegetables making their escape from certain mutilation when he had his back turned.  The talk about children was surely a hastily thought up distraction to hide his disappointment that he let another batch escape while on the phone.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Jesus Jeph, we know you're Childfree and snipped and proud of it, stop grinding it into the ground. Yes, isn't it horrible that another person can make unreasonable demands and force you to shell out money because you still want them around, so let's make this into another comment on how horrible kids are and how much almost none of your characters want any! That's not children, that's family and friendship.

Sorry, sore point.

*Macnut prepares sharp sticks to poke at Westrim's sore spot with an evil  :evil:*

Well, kids can be (and usually are) an expensive and emotionally draining pain in the ass. And I say this having raised 3 stepkids and looked after 2 step-grandkids for a year while their mother (my stepdaughter) was in Iraq dodging bullets and IEDs. While I love them all dearly like they are my own blood, I am SO glad that's all over now, and you could not PAY me enough to go back and do it again. Especially their teenage years *shudder*.

As seen with Marten and Henry, even the nicest kids can get on your nerves sometimes.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jim seems pretty glad to have Sam although he was content to stop there.

Momo with a child is a provocative idea. In a sense she's parenting Marigold.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Hm... with Marten going abroad again (to a wedden') are we in for another Dora in wedding dress episode? It would fit the situation.

If Dora's invited, I hope she doesn't bring that bazooka with her.

Incidentatlly, does Marten's Dad know about his current lovelife (specifically him and Dora not being together anymore)?
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

In my experience people planning wedding ring you up five minutes after the RSVP date if you haven't replied, because of caterers and such. Though Maurice owns a night-club, so he might be organising that himself and so be more relaxed.

Puggles are a real thing, apparently. I did not know that, but I am not a dog person.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

let's make this into another comment on how horrible kids are and how much almost none of your characters want any!

I'm sure Jeph realises that there are alternative views - after all, we are shown the cast's varied (but generally OK) relationships with their parents quite often, even though they don't yet plan to have children themselves.

chances are that most of the main crew got invites as well.

Actually, no, it would seem.  They would most likely have opened their post, and then obviously would have talked to Marten about it.  (Scope for some quick retconning here, perhaps...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto

Adding my vote to the belief that Marten was the only one invited, and his invite was for Marten +1, with the +1 assumed to be Dora. Also, I'm betting Marten got the invite back when he and Dora were still together, so even if Henry did get the news of their breakup (doesn't seem like it in the present comic, Marten's relationship status isn't discussed) it's probably too late to change the invite anyway.

I don't think Henry knows Marten's friends well enough to invite them separately, so it'll be up to Marten to decide who his +1 is going to be. I'll be surprised if it's Claire, quite frankly, Marten's just getting to know her and I don't see any real romantic interest there, at least on Marten's part. And since he and his father were talking about "plane tickets" that means a possibly long trip together and maybe sharing a hotel room or other guest quarters, not sure Claire would be up for that with a guy she's just getting to know. Other choices are between Faye and Hannelore, not sure Dora would want to be away from CoD (and Tai) for a couple days even if invited (yeah I know she was really excited about being a flower girl, but remember she's a business owner who's very reluctant to leave her business in the hands of anyone else, and closing it for a couple days could cost her customers).

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Actually, no, it would seem.  They would most likely have opened their post, and then obviously would have talked to Marten about it.  (Scope for some quick retconning here, perhaps...)

I dunno if they would have talked about it, as such. I mean probably they would have gossiped about it, but the underlying understanding would be there: "Marten is his son, and respects his dad's proposal to Maurice. Of course he'd be there!"

But you do make a fair point, themacnut. I mean, Dora is the only person they really know within Marten's social circle. Faye and Hanners were invited to the bar, sure, but that doesn't hold much sway in these things...

she's a business owner who's very reluctant to leave her business in the hands of anyone else
I think Faye would be able to handle things if Dora were to go. She's worked there the longest, and (I think, but not too sure) has looked after CoD once or twice (although if only for an hour here or there). There may be some managerial things to teach Faye, but the shop itself should be fine.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2013, 02:18 by techkid »
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

They'd probably have talked about it in the sense of "Oh hey Marten I got an invite to your dad's wedding!" or something. It seems unlikely that no one would have mentioned it at all - it's a normal thing to talk about.

I'm going to another friend's wedding this summer. It's getting to be an annual event now. Next it'll be baby showers/christenings and I'll know I'm officially old.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto

she's a business owner who's very reluctant to leave her business in the hands of anyone else
I think Faye would be able to handle things if Dora were to go. She's worked there the longest, and (I think, but not too sure) has looked after CoD once or twice (although if only for an hour here or there). There may be some managerial things to teach Faye, but the shop itself should be fine.

I agree with you about Faye being able to handle the shop for a few days, but the problem is Dora - she's shown a considerable reluctance to trust anyone else with her "baby"; far as I know, she still keeps the roasting process for the coffee beans close to the vest, never mind the rest of the managerial duties of the shop. I think it would take Faye practically staging a mutiny and shoving Dora out the door to get her to actually leave CoD for a few days.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

Wow, Maurice is way younger than Marten's dad.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

After this, I'm not sure she would be welcome ...

"Dad 2: Dad Harder" is still one of m favourite lines.

Henry did some good parenting there I think. Firm but accepting. Also we didn't hear Marten's side of the call but I'd guess he'd be pretty sorry and upset about leaving his mail.

Also I thought Jeph said he'd never do a wedding storyline once but maybe he said or meant an engagement/marriage continuing arc. In any case, it'll be nice to see more of Henry and Maurice, especially for something fun like a wedding. Lots of crowd scenes and new backgrounds so it'll be super fun.  :mrgreen:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I agree with you about Faye being able to handle the shop for a few days, but the problem is Dora - she's shown a considerable reluctance to trust anyone else with her "baby"; far as I know, she still keeps the roasting process for the coffee beans close to the vest, never mind the rest of the managerial duties of the shop. I think it would take Faye practically staging a mutiny and shoving Dora out the door to get her to actually leave CoD for a few days.

You're confusing mutiny and coup.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

I think if she were going to the wedding, she might just close the shop for a few days. Might not be Dora-like to begin with, but it simplifies matters.

Then again, it eliminates Hannershenanigans and Faye-isms, which would deprive us of much needed comic relief. So I don't think it'll happen.
Worry Hat, Engage!

westrim

It does appear that QC will soon be coming to California. It'll be interesting to see how my home state gets depicted.

You're confusing mutiny and coup.
Only one is flown, right?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Driven, actually. With only two doors. Otherwise it's a sedan.
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...I thought Henry and Maurice lived in Florida?

(dives off to the archives)

EDIT: Yep. He's goin' to Miami.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm going to another friend's wedding this summer. It's getting to be an annual event now.

It's not for me to judge, but maybe your friend should look into the reasons he or she is getting married annually.

(couldn't resist)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Dad's Wedding - Who will be invited?

"Marten - Plus one"    7 (18.9%)

Marten and Dora get their own separate inivtes (Dora's got misplaced by her move.)    2 (5.4%)
Faye gets her own (but without a date)    0 (0%)
Dora gets to be the flower girl!    5 (13.5%)
Veronica is giving the groom away!    3 (8.1%)
Tai and Angus are both left on the sidelines.    1 (2.7%)
It doesn't matter - the wedding was last week.    4 (10.8%) <= Wrong answer.
Hannelore is SPECIFICALLY requested to attend.    3 (8.1%)
"You can bring anyone you wish, except for that scary AnthroPC of yours."    5 (13.5%)
(Why your mother PAID for that thing is BEYOND me.)    0 (0%)
Claire recognizes his Dad's boyfriend's name! It's her UNCLE!    5 (13.5%)
Other (something WAY too weird)    2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37
Just another Joe like 46

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

I wonder if Marten will be the best man?

(Or maybe he's more suited to being the maid of honour)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

My girlfriend was her brother's "Best Woman" recently. That being said, I think Marten would have a little more notification than a "save the date card" (really? Not even a proper invitation?) if he was part of the wedding.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I'm going to another friend's wedding this summer. It's getting to be an annual event now.

It's not for me to judge, but maybe your friend should look into the reasons he or she is getting married annually.

(couldn't resist)

I have a really good friend who, when we were both in our twenties, was asked to be a bridesmaid many many times, with the concomitant purchase of expensive and otherwise unwearable dresses. She noticed she was bridesmaiding for some of her friends multiple times and realized she was developing a decent sense going in as to which marriages were going to last for more than a couple years (or months). She decided if an impending nuptial didn't trip her enduro-meter, she would politely decline the honor of being a bridesmaid. After a while, her serially married friends became afraid to ask her.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I have never been asked to be a bridesmaid :( Not even for my mum and stepdad's wedding - they didn't have any. I can't actually think of any friends I am close enough to that they would ask me. That's really sad.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I've never been asked either. But then I'm a guy. :P
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I've also never been asked to be a bride - booo.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

A really close friend has told me multiple times she wants me to be her "man of honor" whenever she gets married... Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't think I can say no.  :laugh:

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

A really close friend has told me multiple times she wants me to be her "man of honor" whenever she gets married... Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't think I can say no.  :laugh:

I'm sure you'll look real purdy in the dress! :3
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I have a male friend I want to be my Man of Honour even though I never thought of using that term. Take it as a compliment you're such a good friend that she's defying social convention to include you!

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

I have a male friend I want to be my Man of Honour even though I never thought of using that term. Take it as a compliment you're such a good friend that she's defying social convention to include you!

Indeed!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Calling it here: Marten in a little boy-shorts formal outfit holding a ring sewn onto a pillow.

With blue hair.

#yagottahavebluehair #hashtagsdontworkontheforum

Even if it's not in the comic it'd be a great print for a con.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up