THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classical shmassical (Also I need some advice)  (Read 6421 times)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
Classical shmassical (Also I need some advice)
« on: 30 Jan 2013, 19:09 »

Whilst I've always kind of appreciated classical on a certain level, but never introduced a whole lot into my regular listening until recently, and I'm really struggling to find more of the stuff I like. I've been listening to a ton of Ludovico Einaudi (there are seriously no tracks of his I don't like), and through him I've discovered Michael Nyman, but that about as far as I've gotten, and I don't know anybody in meat life that likes classical.

So yeah, it seems I have a penchant for piano music, especially that of the dramatic and kind of uplifting type, and stuff that is pretty chill. I've just given some names I remember a shot (namely Chopin), but keep finding it a bit too fast and loud. I tend to listen to a lot of it on quiet weeknights when I'm working in the pub.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? And also discuss the stuff you like too!
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Classical shmassical (Also I need some advice)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 19:13 »

I tend to be more of a classical guitar fan, myself, but you should definitely talk to pwhodges about this.  He is a piano and organ classical music fan. 

Note:  Paging pwhodges to this thread!!!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 19:18 »

Yeah I definitely figured he'd be the perfect person to ask, but didnt want to pm him and it seemed odd just putting 'PWHODGES GET IN HERE' in the title.

He'll find it.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2013, 19:21 »

I think he would be okay with a PM, but he also checks these threads frequently, so I figure that he will be along shortly. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2013, 19:58 »

I know how I got into classical music: through my dad playing piano concertos by Grieg and Tchaikovsky, some Wagner and Gershwin when I was little in the 1940s, on 78rpm records. But I've wondered how younger people would come to it. The same pop classical route I took? I'd never heard of either Nyman or Einaudi until tonight. I checked tracks by both on iTunes. Where they're similar, they're contemplative, the music I sometimes hear on a U.S. public radio program, Hearts of Space.

My early route was through the European composers of the late 1800s, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Ravel, Faure, Debussy, Wagner, then backward to Handel, Beethoven, Bach, forward to Stravinski, Schoenberg. I think I shed tears at the beauty of some Wagner music while I was still little, and later at music like the closing of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and the waltzes from Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier. The classical music I love makes me wet-eyed on the first few hearings. I've been absolutely blown away by a chorus singing, percussively and in a Brazilian Indian language, about a dam across a river. It's called Itaipu, but it's by Philip Glass. And I wasn't the only one blown away by the Symphony #3 by Gorecki, with soprano Dawn Upshaw. It was a best seller when it first came out. I began to like some chamber music when I first heard the Quartet in F by Ravel, and opera in part through watching New York's Metropolitan Opera live in HD.

I think Paul's knowledge is broader and deeper. I'll be interested in what he has to say.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:07 »

Have a listen to some Erik Satie. His first Gymnopedie is my favourite, but it's all nice.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:41 »

Just a quick post; I'll try to do something more tailored later.

Here's a long post I did of a wide range of classical music (a few of the files are no longer available; I may try to put them back):
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,27586.msg826058.html#msg826058
I uploaded various other classical albums in the MF threads around that time, but not all the links are still live.

Here's a zip of 20th century piano music I made for someone (I forget who); it's .ogg files - if you can't play them straight off, it's really not hard to find the codecs:
http://cassland.org/sounds/Piano%20after%20Satie.zip

And here's a really simple piano piece:
http://cassland.org/sounds/Finnissy-StanleyStokes,EastStreet1836.mp3
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2013, 07:33 »

Have a listen to some Erik Satie. His first Gymnopedie is my favourite, but it's all nice.

Hey, I know this first piece! It's devine. This is pretty spot on, so thanks!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2013, 15:13 »

I like Einaudi's music. Perhaps nor 'real' classical music - I've heard him describes as a pop musician - but I don't really care.

Nightbook
Solo
Primavera
I Giorni
Oltremare
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2013, 17:49 »

I wonder if hum-ability made it popular, the melody and harmony. Maybe that's why people rioted at Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.
Pages: [1]   Go Up