THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mafia 4 Sign Up Thread  (Read 2874 times)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
Mafia 4 Sign Up Thread
« on: 01 Feb 2013, 12:28 »

All right, folks... now that I have Black Sword's blessing, I'm ready to start gauging interest in this particular setup! Just post if you're interested. I'm including a first draft of the rules so that anyone agreeing to play has an idea of what they're getting into. Don't let my wall of text intimidate you! The game is pretty simple overall, I just want to be sure I cover everything.

Players:
1.) TRVA123
2.) Black Sword
3.) Unicorn
4.) TheEvilDog
5.) de_la_Nae
6.) dr. nervioso
7.) Gareth
8.) henri bemis
9.) riccostar

Premise:

You are a group of resistance operatives, fighting against a malevolent government. The resistance has more than enough manpower to overthrow their oppressors, but the government has placed spies among their ranks to sabotage their attempts.

Will the resistance figure out who among them can't be trusted and keep them out of their important mission attempts? Or will the government spies deceive them all and ruin their chances at freedom?

This game works for 5-10 players. If more than 10 players sign up, I will split this up into two games, so don't be afraid to sign up if you are interested!

Each round will consist of a team building phase, a voting phase, and possibly a mission phase.

Team Building Phase:

Every round one player will be the leader. A list will be posted so that everyone knows the turn order for leader. That leader will get to construct the mission team.

Every mission will have 2-5 people going on it (it will depend on the mission and how many people are playing... again, I will provide this once I have a hard count). The leader will choose that many players (and may include him or herself). This will be the suggested team.

Voting Phase:

Once the suggested team is announced, everyone will submit to me via a PM whether they APPROVE or DISAPPROVE  the suggested team. Once all the votes are in, I will simultaneously reveal who voted what. So remember, this vote WILL be revealed and you WILL have to own up to it if confronted about it.

If the majority of people support the team, then the mission will continue with the suggested team.

If it's a tie or the majority oppose the suggested team, then the round is over and the next one starts. The next leader will try to arrange a new team for the same mission.

Mission Phase:

If a team has been approved, then those players will submit to me via a PM whether they choose to SUPPORT or SABOTAGE the mission. Resistance operatives should only choose to support missions (there's no reason you should want to sabotage). Spies can choose from either option. Once all choices are in, they will be anonymously revealed. In most cases, if there's even one sabotage card in the mix, the mission will end in failure (you will be informed of any exceptions once I have a hard number of players). If there's no sabotage, then the mission will succeed.

Win/Lose Conditions:

The resistance faction wins as soon as there are three successful missions.

The spy faction wins as soon as there are three failed missions.

The spy faction also wins if there are five consecutive mission teams that do not get approved (the resistance does not trust one another enough to get organized and the government continues to reign).

Other notes:

As you can see, this is entirely non-elimination based, so you will be guaranteed a spot from start to finish. You eliminate spies by isolating them, not killing.

I won't set hard restrictions on how much real time a round takes place unless I find it's needed later. If your turn to be leader is coming up, try to have a team in mind. You can even ask others what they think of it prior to you actually locking your choice in.

You are free to discuss anything you want at any point in the game, but I will ask that you keep it confined to the game thread itself and no PMing unless it's with me as part of the gameplay or to ask a question. This is even if you're a spy. Part of the challenge for spies is to make sure they coordinate their sabotages while everyone is watching and listening to you and I'd like to try to simulate that as best as possible. Honor system!

This thread, of course, can still be used to ask questions and to hold out of game discussion, as was the case before.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2013, 11:41 by Game and Watch Forever »

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
Re: Mafia 4 Sign Up Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2013, 12:47 »

I'm in!

Black Sword

« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2013, 13:09 »

Count me in!

(At least I won't get lynched on day 1 due to player revenge)

Zingoleb

« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2013, 13:20 »

I'm in!

...now to read the premise...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2013, 13:30 »

Count me in.

Now to subtly plot and plan!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2013, 13:57 »

Got confused for a second, then I noticed it said *consecutive* team dismissals.

I'm down.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #6 on: 01 Feb 2013, 14:08 »

I'm in
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2013, 14:20 »

I'm in, bitches.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2013, 16:05 »

I am going to pass, but I will be watching from the sidelines!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2013, 18:00 »

Yay, I'll play!  I've never played a Resistance game, but I'm really curious about it.  It sounds like fun.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2013, 21:07 »

I'll go for it as well.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2013, 01:43 »

Tentatively in. I want to read the rules when I'm less wiped out.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb 2013, 06:04 »

All right folks, if Patrick locks in we're in an even 10 people (from my count... yell at me if the first post isn't updated with your name).

Of course, still sign up if you want. I'll finalize the player count and start game preparations in the next 24 to 36 hours, give or take.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #13 on: 05 Feb 2013, 03:59 »

I'm afraid I'm out for this round. I've got a lot of things going on over the next week or two that just aren't gonna be conducive to playing the game effectively. I'll most likely be in for the next one though!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Feb 2013, 06:25 »

Thanks for the update, man. Best of luck with whatever you're dealing with!

All right, folks. Everything's been decided. Spies will be getting a message from me shortly and (assuming how bored I am at work), the game thread will begin. The extra details I promised would be provided there, and as always feel free to post or message me any questions and concerns.

Let the bloodsh-- er deception begin!

Black Sword

« Reply #15 on: 05 Feb 2013, 06:33 »

Bloodshed is my shtick!

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2013, 07:57 »

So, for any future iterations of this game that may or may not occur, I'm thinking a specific deadline does need to be employed to keep slowdowns from happening.

Of course, that leads to some questions is... what do you do with the people who vote nothing and the deadline arrives?

Three options:
  • Default them to APPROVE: This is probably the safest option, though possibly favors leader spies
  • Default them to DISAPPROVE: Definitely favors spies, since inactivity will pretty much give them the win.
  • Use the majority of the number of votes used: Defeats the purpose of forcing people to own up to their vote by letting them wait out the deadline. Gives the resistance less numbers to work with.

And of course, there's the question of what to do with spies:
  • Default to SUPPORT: Favors the resistance. May not be a bad thing, but may hurt the spies if any one of them are inactive
  • Default to SABOTAGE: Encourages spies to be inactive.

And then... what do you do if the leader is a bum and doesn't do anything? Skip them, I guess, but then does that count as the round being over and the spies getting an easier victory?

Weigh in on anything you want or just let me know how you feel about the game in general. Spectators can throw out anything based on what they've been witnessing as well!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:49 »

I think that defaulting to the response that gives the other side the advantage is the best incentive to participate in a timely fashion.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2013, 16:32 »

If a leader flakes (without explanation, of course) I was originally thinking 'just skip them,' and though I can't really see how deliberately flaking as a leader would benefit anyone, I'm sure we're all devious enough to come up with something eventually.  So, repercussions?  Maybe they get skipped - no win for either side, and it doesn't count as a disapprove - but that person is ineligible to participate in the next mission?  I think it works on an RPG level, too - if you're MIA, how can you go on a mission?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:50 »

Is this in response to me disappearing all weekend? Because I really didn't expect that to happen  :psyduck:

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2013, 20:50 »

You disappeared all weekend?  :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2013, 00:00 »

Oh good :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up