THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcomic Discussion Thread!  (Read 226901 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: Webcomic Discussion Thread!
« Reply #800 on: 20 Nov 2017, 07:00 »

[tweet]932618486492344320[/tweet]
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #801 on: 26 Dec 2017, 23:20 »

I'm not sure if I've done so before but I wanted to give a recommendation for David C Simon's Crimson Dark. It's a very engaging sci-fi story with great characters, an engaging plot (with ever more complicated politicking for the future of the galaxy) and, IMO, the best original starships and space combat art I've seen in an independent webcomic.

What makes CD that much more interesting is that Mr Simon is an 'Imagineer', a creative desinger for Lucasfilm, a position he got after this webcomic caught the attention of recruiters. When you read the comic and compare it to Clone Wars, Rebels and Rogue One you can see Mr Simon's creative fingerprints on the U-Wing shuttle, the Hammerhead-class frigate, the MC75 cruiser and most of the non-Trade Federation fleet of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

So, I would argue that this isn't just a good webcomic, it's the portfolio of one of the top creative minds in the current Star Wars SFX team!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #802 on: 27 Dec 2017, 20:36 »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #803 on: 11 Jan 2018, 16:14 »

Finally all caught up on Poppy, and boy am I in for one hell of a fight

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #804 on: 09 Feb 2018, 14:28 »

If anyone's ever wondered about the story behind Jeph's tattoos, it seems that now you can find out.

BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: I have a Bird and Moon comics collection coming out on April 17th through Andrews McMeel!

This book contains a poem in praise of botany, a foreword by the wonderful Jeph Jacques that includes a story about tattoos, and an exhaustive index of every species in every comic because I’m a nerd like that.

I showed my advance copy to a discerning test reader and she described it as “delicious”.

Preorder here!

From Bird and Moon.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #805 on: 11 Feb 2018, 20:50 »

Wanting to promote a friend's comic because really, she deserves it.

Arcane Eon.

What is Arcane Eon you ask? Well in the words of the creator herself:
"Arcane Eon is an art deco/art nouveau inspired action adventure fantasy online comic, free for everyone to read! It is about love, loss, and uncovering truth, both personal and forgotten. It will take readers to many corners of the world of Arcane Eon, unraveling the hidden nature of magic, and what that means for each of them and everyone else."

Seriously, check it out.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #806 on: 12 Feb 2018, 02:42 »

Arcane Eon.

"Arcane Eon is an art deco/art nouveau inspired action adventure fantasy online comic, free for everyone to read! It is about love, loss, and uncovering truth, both personal and forgotten. It will take readers to many corners of the world of Arcane Eon, unraveling the hidden nature of magic, and what that means for each of them and everyone else."

Seriously, check it out.

Looks intriguing... but the site needs better navigation.
(unless I'm just not seeing it) there are no, "go to next comic" buttons...

Having to go from comic to archive page, to comic link, to comic, and back again - doesn't lend to a nice flow for catching up.

(First World Problems, huh?)  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #807 on: 12 Feb 2018, 03:26 »

Storybundle has a webcomics bundle for sale! Well worth a couple dollars for the SMBC book, Derelict, and Discord. $15 gets you the rest. They're mostly ebook versions of comics that are already published for free, but there are a few bonuses:

Quote from: Derelict author
This is currently the only place one can get a digital version of book 1, which includes exclusive material like the Guide to Miasmics and the short comic Dang Thu Mai has a Nice Day

Quote from: Science: Ruining Everything Since 1543 description
This is a compendium of the finest science-related strips from SMBC, featuring science stories from Phil Plait, Elizabeth Iorns Henry Reich, Ed Yong, Emily Lakdawalla, Sean Carroll, Christina Agapakis, and Adam Savage.

Quote from: Ava's Demon description
Each book contains 500 panels of content along with art and making-of sections, including stills from the animated portions of the comic.

The rest are collections just as they'd appear on the website. I actually haven't read any of these comics other than the three with bonus content I mentioned above, anyone else have any thoughts on the rest?

(Psst, Joe, you can use the arrow keys to navigate Arcane Eon.)
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2018, 03:32 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #808 on: 12 Feb 2018, 07:28 »

Arcane Eon.

Seriously, check it out.

Having to go from comic to archive page, to comic link, to comic, and back again - doesn't lend to a nice flow for catching up.

If you're on a desktop or laptop, you can use the left or right key to go to the previous or next comic.
If you're on a tablet, you can tap the comic to move onto the next.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #809 on: 12 Feb 2018, 08:13 »

Arcane Eon.

Seriously, check it out.

If you're on a desktop or laptop, you can use the left or right key to go to the previous or next comic.
If you're on a tablet, you can tap the comic to move onto the next.

SWEET !!!
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #810 on: 12 Mar 2018, 08:00 »

Does anyone else here read Eagle Ordinary?

Chapter 3 just finished, and I almost didn't notice the dreading cliffhanger it was. :psyduck:
(click to show/hide)
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #811 on: 12 Mar 2018, 10:59 »

Huh. I hadn't really noticed. Scars are so common and Brighton hasn't appeared in so long I didn't even think about it. Unfortunately that means the answer to the problem just became a lot more extreme. If it continues to spread, the most extreme. Well, second most behind a galaxy-scouring civil war again I suppose.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #812 on: 12 Mar 2018, 12:48 »

Considering the setting and how quickly things can get messed up within it, I do believe that LeeC is right.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #813 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:36 »

Whats worse is I think Holt called his inquisitor contact too (at Talon's request)... :psyduck:

Things are going to get worse before they get better.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #814 on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:46 »

That's not quite true. It's the 40k universe. Nothing ever gets better, just worse until you die.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #815 on: 13 Mar 2018, 08:28 »

And even then, death is just the beginning of a whole new kind of suffering.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #816 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:41 »

I kind of got spoiled on what will happen a bit ago, so I know some interesting plot points that will come up, but the anticipation on how we get there and the aftershocks is leaving me impatient for the next chapter.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #817 on: 28 Apr 2018, 05:46 »

I can't believe how Poppy went from "heartwarming humanized animal hijinks" to "TOP TEN ANIME BETRAYALS THAT SHOOK THE UNIVERSE"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #818 on: 11 Jun 2018, 14:55 »

Guilded Age has finally ended!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #819 on: 11 Jun 2018, 17:24 »

The Rock Cocks, which as you might guess by the name is very, very not safe for work, is having some amazing art the last few pages.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #820 on: 27 Jun 2018, 18:35 »

The Webcomic List is the way I try to keep up on my favorite webcomics, but lately it's been slacking. Like it'll just stop tracking some comics all together, making me forget that I actually read them and have to catch up on them. Is there another website like it that tracks webcomics I could use?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #821 on: 10 Jul 2018, 05:19 »

Re: Poppy. Is everyone in Eggton secretly a badass??

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #822 on: 17 Aug 2018, 02:14 »

Hey, is anyone else getting 'connection refused' from ohnorobot? Some of the comics I read rely on it, I'm not sure if it's broken.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #823 on: 19 Aug 2018, 00:38 »

Yes, I am.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #824 on: 23 Aug 2018, 12:30 »

Found this on imgur. I quite like the art style.
https://imgur.com/gallery/tE6wXjY

Its called "Hopping Gills"
https://hoppinggills.com/page/25

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #825 on: 03 Oct 2018, 11:28 »

Does anyone know what happened to The Whiteboard? It just a Plesk start page for me.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #826 on: 03 Oct 2018, 13:22 »

It has been down for a couple of days. No reason was given so I imagine it's technical or financial problems.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #827 on: 03 Oct 2018, 19:10 »

No, it was due to ISP issues.

Quote from: 'Doc Nickel (on Patreon)'

The story is, supposedly they found some malware on the system somewhere, and had to take part of it offline to clear it out. That also meant that all the backups had to be scanned or analyzed or whatever as well, and that took time.

Also, while all this was going on, it either caused or led to the discovery of apparently a pretty serious hardware failure that then had to be addressed- which could mean they had to order replacements from the States or even Asia, but that's guesswork on my part.

Anyway, they've been working pretty much 24-7, making sure backups are clear of malware, installing the new servers (or parts thereof, whatever) and getting everything back up and running.

I'm told that they're hoping for tomorrow, Wednesday the 3rd, to have it back online, but of course there's no promises. We all know how unexpected issues can crop up.

All I can say is thanks for your patience, and ask that, once it's back up for good, do me a favor and spread the word. I have no doubt that more than a few readers, who aren't Guilders, MCB'ers or Patreon members, have no idea what happened, and may have bailed after a full week of no-shows.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #828 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:57 »

I'm sure everyone has been telling him about it, but do you know if he's considered Cloudflare? It'd be too late for this outage, but it might save some trouble if ever there's another. It'd probably save some money as well, given that there's a free plan with unlimited data in/out, and gets you an SSL certificate too. If he's not a fan of a shared certificate (though afaik there's not really any risk to it), I'm pretty sure you can get it to work with another certificate provider like Let's Encrypt.

Also, what's the address for the forum? I usually get to it via the comic page, but you can see the problem with that. Or is that down too?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #829 on: 04 Oct 2018, 05:07 »

The Tinker's Guild is the forum for the strip and his shop. It is hosted via tapatalk, so if you use your phone/tablet, you might get it whining to download the app.

Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #830 on: 23 Oct 2018, 13:43 »

Although "Hark! A Vagrant" hasn't had new content in a year or two, today's update truly marks the end of an era. My respects for Kate's sister Becky and I hope Kate does well.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #831 on: 24 Oct 2018, 03:51 »

« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2018, 04:04 by LTK »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #832 on: 25 Oct 2018, 01:48 »

Read through the archive of Radio Silence...

And, whereas it's not too bad, I 'do' wish non-scottish writers would check their usage of Scots dialect.

('Nae' isn't really used the way she generally uses it. And if she used such dialect for that, she'd use a LOT more!)
Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #833 on: 06 Nov 2018, 08:13 »

I started reading Order of the Stick because I hear good things about it, and I got through the first 300 comics, all the while not seeing what all the fuss is about. The D&D jokes elicit a chuckle sometimes, and the use of Chekov's guns is kind of clever, but other than that there's nothing I'm impressed by. Is it supposed to get better later?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #834 on: 06 Nov 2018, 08:29 »

I'm not familiar with strip numbers. I liked it for the plot, character arcs, and the relationships. I stopped reading

(click to show/hide)

At that point I lost interest. My favorite part has to be the siege of that Shogun style city full of paladins.  That was fun and exciting. Also the half-orc ninja girl. Thog was always fun when he showed up, but it could be the voice I gave him in my head (like if the muppets Animal and and Ernie were spliced together vocally).

YMMV though LTK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #835 on: 06 Nov 2018, 08:41 »

Comic 300 is just after they've all escaped from prison and went on the quest for the paladin king. The bit in your spoiler was something I read about before and I was hoping the rest of the comic would have similar uncanny insights into fantasy stereotypes, but that wasn't really the case.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #836 on: 06 Nov 2018, 09:09 »

I'd keep with it. IMO it gets better.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #837 on: 06 Nov 2018, 10:34 »

Most definitely.

It really doesn't pick up until they get to the next-to-last gate (Girard's Gate).

Keep slogging through, the story is worth it.

(It does help to keep in mind that it's a poke in the ribs at your typical D&D gaming group, with Rich Burlew as your DM...)
Just another Joe like 46

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #838 on: 06 Nov 2018, 13:34 »

I started reading Order of the Stick because I hear good things about it, and I got through the first 300 comics, all the while not seeing what all the fuss is about. The D&D jokes elicit a chuckle sometimes, and the use of Chekov's guns is kind of clever, but other than that there's nothing I'm impressed by. Is it supposed to get better later?

I'd say it gets much better the longer it goes, yes. I personally love it, although it *is* a bit overrated. I've heard too many people willing to unreservedly praise it, to the extent of "the writing of OotS is perfect and the author can do no wrong".

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #839 on: 06 Nov 2018, 14:12 »

Okay, that's assurance enough for me, I'll keep reading. Thanks.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #840 on: 08 Nov 2018, 20:30 »

I still read it, but I'm not sure why, to be honest. The story has been so long and drawn out now, and it's so long between updates, that I'm forgetting what the characters are even trying to achieve. The jokes are getting a little stale by now as well.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #841 on: 09 Nov 2018, 07:58 »

He's admitted that the last book is going to be the size of a phone book. He's kinda written himself into a few corners with the whole "Defeat Xykon/defeat the Snarl/Save the world" thing.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #842 on: 09 Nov 2018, 08:31 »

It does seem like there is padding at points.  It sounds like there is a lot of it right now (I'm not up to date though). Sometimes you need to just get to the quick and finish the story being told.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #843 on: 09 Nov 2018, 15:54 »

The need to end each comic with a funny draws the exposition out even further.

His core audience seems to be loving it, though, and it means more book sales, so there's no reason to cut to the chase I suppose.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #844 on: 15 Jun 2019, 14:00 »

Freefall was recommended to me recently. This one made me laugh.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #845 on: 15 Jun 2019, 15:37 »

Freefall's great - but you've got a lot to catch up with!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #846 on: 15 Jun 2019, 15:51 »

Don't worry, I'm a fast reader. I'll get through nineteen years of comics in a jiffy. :D

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #847 on: 31 Aug 2021, 00:10 »

So, over a long and boring weekend, I've been binge-reading 9 Chickweed Lane and found it a bit of a revelation in terms of my experience with Questionable Content

9 Chickweed Lane is an old webcomic - a quarter of a century of nearly-daily strips. Of webcomics of my experience, only David M Willis and Scott Adams have been continuously active for as close as long as Brooke McEldowney. However, in my reading of the story (not complete - there's no possible way I could have done that in 2 days, no matter how hard I tried), I noticed something that I've seen in Dilbert and Questionable Content and which Willis only avoided by soft rebooting his work into Dumbing of Age about a decade or so back. 9CL ended about 2 years back and has been struggling to continue to exist ever since. All the plot threads (even minor ones like the protagonists' relationship with their former principal) were exhausted and we've been getting more and more random 'arty' strips, which are buffers between random characters getting together for no other reason than to try to rediscover the chemistry of Amos and Edda's relationship from middle school to married parents.

Similarly, Dilbert has become more and more dully unimaginative and more about the many chips on Scott Adams' shoulders and less about the reality of the white-collar workplace.

In both cases, and increasingly with QC, the feeling is that the story is told, the show is over and there is nothing left to say or show. The time has come to turn off the lights, haul down the shutters and do something new.

The problem is that none of the creatives in question seem willing to do that. Maybe it's pride. Maybe they still want to make the strip or maybe it's just cold, hard economic cynicism (it still sells to enough people to cover costs, so why stop?). However, when you compare the best of these works (almost invariably a middle period) with where they are now, you can't help but feel sad. You compare the weird and sometimes arbitrary 'plot thrown at the wall to see if it sticks', randomly and arbitrarily reworked characters and spontaneous romances of today with the wonderful characterisations and long-term ongoing stories (or, in Adams' case, social insights) of yesteryear.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #848 on: 31 Aug 2021, 14:36 »

I've had few "laugh out loud" moments with QC for years, and it has been even longer since I've had to worry about spitting my drink on my keyboard, but I still do find the characters and stories interesting enough to follow.  The only actual problem I've really been having is that given the sheer number of important characters, the gaps in any of these stories is long enough that I usually don't remember what was happening to whichever group of characters comes into focus.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #849 on: 15 Oct 2021, 10:58 »

So, er, I might be a massive nerd, but the notion of Delaware taking over the world makes me think "President Joe once had a dream."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up