THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcomic Discussion Thread!  (Read 228288 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: Webcomic Discussion Thread!
« Reply #100 on: 26 Sep 2013, 15:20 »

Danny dannying it up again. But from his perspective he's doing the right thing. He doesn't want to "cheat" on Amazigirl. But of course he's incredibly oblivious for not realising they're the same person. I just hope that he doesn't destroy everything when/if she really tells him.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #101 on: 26 Sep 2013, 18:07 »

Got sucked into TVTropes today and ended up being introduced to "Sinfest" with an arc about a succubi and the book worm human she adores, and they were torn apart because of some preacher dude.  Was really cute.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #103 on: 12 Oct 2013, 00:11 »

Bwahaha, David Willis knows his readers far too well. He has a comic buffer until December, and has just flared up hopes for the shippers and crushed them afterwards. He definitely earned his moniker ”Damn you Willis”.

Comments refer to this as ”dropping an iceberg onto the ship”. I think it's great he knows his fans well enough to foresee who will be shipped.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #104 on: 12 Oct 2013, 09:47 »

Comics, eh? Let me go through my RSS subscription list. In no particular order:

Wondermark! (An Illustrated Jocularity, regular updates, often absolutely hilarious)
Subnormality (Big-ass wordy magical realist comics, regular updates)
Secret Knots (Weird-ass magical realist comics, regular updates)
Rice Boy, Order of Tales, Vattu (Awesome nontraditional fantasy, regular updates)
Indexed (Comical graphs and stuff, regular updates)
Bearmageddon (Bear armageddon, from the creator of Axe Cop, regular updates)
Prequel (Elder Scrolls humorous adventure narrated comic, regular updates)
Lackadaisy Cats (Prohibition-era speakeasy cats, drop-dead gorgeous art, seriously amazing, sporadic updates)
The Meek (Light fantasy starring a girl without clothes)
Bird and Moon (Biology comics)
Blank It (Humorous surrealist adventure)
Awkward Zombie (Video game humour, regular updates)
Bunny (Random. Just random.)
A Softer World (Hard to describe)

The great thing about having all the comics in my RSS feed is that I never have to remember to check them!

Undoubtedly my favourite webcomic ever is Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
I don't think SMBC is consistently good, but when it is good, it is GREAT.

"You don't love Jesus, you're just INFATUATED with him!"
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2013, 09:55 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #105 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:20 »

I just discovered Gunshow, and OH MY GOD.

Also, I just read up on the whole Penny Arcade fiasco and I haven't read it since. I'm also going to get rid of the volumes I have on it. It's depressed me beyond belief.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #106 on: 12 Oct 2013, 15:57 »

Bwahaha, David Willis knows his readers far too well. He has a comic buffer until December, and has just flared up hopes for the shippers and crushed them afterwards. He definitely earned his moniker ”Damn you Willis”.

Comments refer to this as ”dropping an iceberg onto the ship”. I think it's great he knows his fans well enough to foresee who will be shipped.
I love Willis for going his route, its just making Ethan squirm.  What he's doing isnt fair to Joyce and its especially not fair to himself!
(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #107 on: 12 Oct 2013, 16:46 »

I just discovered Gunshow, and OH MY GOD.
That's... certainly an apt way to describe it.

Also, I just read up on the whole Penny Arcade fiasco and I haven't read it since. I'm also going to get rid of the volumes I have on it. It's depressed me beyond belief.
The shitstorm that has surrounded Penny Arcade recently just never dies, it fades into the background after a while but then they pull another act and it starts all over again. It's just really sad that they're in such a position of power that this becomes a real issue. In any other situation, Mike Krahulik would be just another clueless internet asshole that we could just ignore, but that's just not an option here.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #108 on: 13 Oct 2013, 21:07 »

And with today's comic one of David Willis' characters might have come out as trans. If I understand todays comic (and hovertext) right, she's presenting as male for her parents.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #109 on: 14 Oct 2013, 00:38 »

Wondering why the character is using that pseudonym.  Awfully close to a particular relative's name that's in comic.

in Girls with Slingshots news....

Maybe I don't know Hazel that well but I am surprised at her reaction.  How long have they been broken up?  The fail train is about to enter the station in that last panel.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #110 on: 14 Oct 2013, 07:07 »

They just said a couple comics ago it's just under a year. I don't think her reaction is that odd, despite it being an extreme jump from "I'm fine." It's a lot easier to accept your ex is your ex when you're both single. When the ex starts getting it on with other people you might think, "I should be the as moved on as they are."

Really is two steps foward, ten steps back with Hazel sometimes.  :popcorn:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #111 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:09 »

Yeah, that 2 steps forward 10 steps back saying is a good way to describe Hazel in general.  Wow, that means she's been living with her mom for nearly a year now?  I couldn't do that for more than 3 months if I had to.  I like how Jamie was trying to sincerely excuse Hazel's behavior to Zach and the guys.  When that girl said "See you at your place cabbie" in front of Hazel, I couldn't help but think of lumpy space princess saying "Oh my glob, drama bomb!"  So far I am not disappointed.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #112 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:30 »

GWS: Dammit Hazel!

DoA: Dammit Amber!

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #113 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:16 »

I'm surprised by Hazel.  She dumped over a year ago because she had commitment problems?  Or am I misremembering?

Besides, we want to see more of Clarice and Joshua....

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #114 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:41 »

Zach officially ended the relationship. I think the break-up more came down to Hazel's refusal to merely discuss commitment,, which isn't the same as not wanting to commit to Zach. She did want to move in with him.

Personally I'd like to see more of Erin and Jamie (and Hot Santa), they're adorable.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #115 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:45 »

Right, thanks.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #116 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:06 »

Correct me if I am wrong (and I very well may be) but to Hazel commitment = the end of her youth/party days and she views commitment for older people.  I think she's 30ish now (can't rightly remember) and still running from it.  The only marriage that has happened with her friends are Jameson with Maureen and Thea with Mimi.  So far they seem to be going well.  Pirate Chris and Silent Melody seems to be heading that route.  Honestly I'd like to see more of it as I find that relationship interesting, preferably not through just exposition dialogue.  Clarice and Joshua's arc was adorable and I agree I want to see more.  Clarice blushing is a thing I never thought I'd see.  :laugh:

has Candy been put on the metaphorical "Bus" or do you think we'll see her again (possibly talking to Clarice about Joshua)?

ackblom12

« Reply #117 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:12 »

Personally my favorite comic of that arch is this one.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #118 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:18 »

oh Darren  :-D Always knows what to say with a zinger.  Hazel's unwillingness to even talk about it and literally running away was why it went down.  Even if she said point blank "I am not sure if I ever want to marry in general" its a stance.  As Welu posted, she just hid under the covers and then ran.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #119 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:23 »

Darren is a great character. It'd be nice to see more of his day to day life but as he is he's great for moments like that for a sort of outside perspective on the situation.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #120 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:52 »

A Softer World (Hard to describe)

One of the best, for sure.

ackblom12

« Reply #121 on: 15 Oct 2013, 13:54 »

Pictures for Sad Children

It's so good you'll probably be horribly depressed and chuckling to yourself the entire time you can't tear your eyes away from it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #122 on: 15 Oct 2013, 14:41 »

If I were to describe the genre that A Softer World is in as 'hard to describe', PFSC would be included in it, only it is harder to describe.

ackblom12

« Reply #123 on: 15 Oct 2013, 14:46 »

If 'Self Loathing, Chuckling and Tears' were a genre, PFSC would definitely be in it.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #124 on: 18 Oct 2013, 05:17 »

anyone else here just get kicked in the feels by Goblins?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #125 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:24 »

If you ever considered starting to read Roomies!, by starting with "Bring back Roomies!", don't, under any circumstances, open the front page now and in the next few days. It'd be an extremely big spoiler.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #126 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:50 »

Thanks for the warning. A mate of mine has recommended that one to me a couple times.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #127 on: 19 Oct 2013, 04:57 »

If you want to start, here's a link to the first strip. And bookmark the page you stopped, so you don't go to the front page.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #128 on: 19 Oct 2013, 05:37 »

There's a new Subnormality and you should really read it.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #129 on: 19 Oct 2013, 08:48 »

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had to read the entire run of "Roomies!", "It's Walky!" and "Joyce And Walky!"(the free ones) before reading "Shortpacked!"

I enjoy reading the cousin to "Girls With Slingshots" strip  "All New Issues"
Some others I read are Hijinks Ensue(sci fi TV and pop culture), Capes and Babes (comic books and pop culture related) and two comic book parody sites Hero Happy Hour and The Hero Business.
It's not as good as other webcomics but it dares to take on the touchy subject of religion from a different angle- Welcome To Hereafter
And I love Multiplex, it did a crossover with Shortpacked! two years ago that made me aware of that comic and got me reading all of the other comics.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #130 on: 19 Oct 2013, 12:32 »

GWS: I wonder if the drunk guy who needs a ride is going to end up being the guy Hazel was with.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #131 on: 19 Oct 2013, 13:37 »

I'd guess it's Vincent.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #132 on: 19 Oct 2013, 16:47 »

Falingard certainly made things interesting on Flaky Pastry today.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #133 on: 19 Oct 2013, 17:27 »

I think I remember reading this comic. No idea at what point I stopped, though.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #134 on: 19 Oct 2013, 18:45 »

I'd guess it's Vincent.

I'm betting on this. It is the rule of funny.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #135 on: 19 Oct 2013, 18:59 »

Seems more logical than my theory.  Then they both talk about hazel or something.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #136 on: 19 Oct 2013, 21:39 »

I think I remember reading this comic. No idea at what point I stopped, though.

Yeah, well things have moved on a bit.

We've found out that Nitrine's Goblin Royalty

Marelle's and immortal ...... Catgirl - for want of a better description

We've seen Zintiel WITHOUT her Chaos Elf persona

Arlen, Zintiel's younger brother has shown up and Marelle's shown some interest in him
But this latest Comic has kinda shot that down with him turning out to be the Princes boyfriend.

Oh, and we've met the rest of Zintiel's clan.
James The Kugai 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #137 on: 20 Oct 2013, 05:22 »

We've found out that Nitrine's Goblin Royalty

Marelle's and immortal ...... Catgirl - for want of a better description
Those two are in the wrong order. I think. Hard to tell when time travel's involved.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #138 on: 20 Oct 2013, 10:38 »

I just wrote that off the top of my head.

Wasn't looking for Temporal accuracy, just passing information.
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #139 on: 21 Oct 2013, 22:51 »

Kids, if you are not reading Wapsi Square, you need to. Huge backstory reveal that puts a WHOLE bunch of things into a new perspective.

If you aren't up for a full archive crawl, go buy the books so you can halve the backstory.
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #140 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:23 »

Hannah Ayoubi released her first Monsters Abroad comic

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:42 »

Kids, if you are not reading Wapsi Square, you need to. Huge backstory reveal that puts a WHOLE bunch of things into a new perspective.

If you aren't up for a full archive crawl, go buy the books so you can halve the backstory.

I feel like I have not read it in 7+ years, maybe?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #142 on: 22 Oct 2013, 20:03 »

Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart. But even if you haven't read it since before the Calendar Machine storyline, this recent storyline answers a LOT of questions about Monica's past.
Just another Joe like 46

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #143 on: 23 Oct 2013, 16:31 »

anyone else read the book of biff?

i want one of these so hard

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #144 on: 23 Oct 2013, 16:33 »

I have read The Bible According To Biff but I'm guessing that's not related?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #145 on: 23 Oct 2013, 16:46 »

not as far as i know.

the dude also does 2 other comics

maximumble

and minimumble

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #146 on: 09 Nov 2013, 09:34 »

Is it weird that I kind of love Billie from DoA? Her entire story up to this point is dealing with no longer having an identity (where-as before college she did).  All the confusion of how things work and how she feels about herself and now also Ruth is just perfect.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #147 on: 09 Nov 2013, 11:14 »

Is it weird that I kind of love Billie from DoA? Her entire story up to this point is dealing with no longer having an identity (where-as before college she did).  All the confusion of how things work and how she feels about herself and now also Ruth is just perfect.

Ruth might be the only other one who doesn't make me cringe with the way they are developing...Billie and Ruth make a cute couple and compliment each others personalities well

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #148 on: 09 Nov 2013, 11:46 »

Duo sure but I wouldnt say couple yet, not officially anyways.  I just love that in the comic from the other day she rejects her old uniform (though it was a heart warming gesture from Ruth-less!) just the feels it brings to her and further pushes the "I don't have an identity anymore *sniff, sniff*" attitude she's had since coming to college (not to mention how the cheerleaders and even Joe pushed home for her).  Ruth on the other hand definitely sees how grounding and caring Billie has been (ergo the kiss) which further confuses Billie.  The two together is undeniably cute, but I just love how close it gets to that only to pull away.  Damn you Willis...Damn you  :-D

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #149 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:28 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up