THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcomic Discussion Thread!  (Read 228305 times)

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
Re: Webcomic Discussion Thread!
« Reply #150 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:32 »

I <3 John A, but I don't always follow the Bad Machinery stories as much as I guess I should.

Maybe I'm just super pissed about Dark Esther and the Boy.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #151 on: 15 Nov 2013, 16:38 »

Duo sure but I wouldnt say couple yet, not officially anyways.  I just love that in the comic from the other day she rejects her old uniform (though it was a heart warming gesture from Ruth-less!) just the feels it brings to her and further pushes the "I don't have an identity anymore *sniff, sniff*" attitude she's had since coming to college (not to mention how the cheerleaders and even Joe pushed home for her).  Ruth on the other hand definitely sees how grounding and caring Billie has been (ergo the kiss) which further confuses Billie.  The two together is undeniably cute, but I just love how close it gets to that only to pull away.  Damn you Willis...Damn you  :-D

The rejection of the uniform wasn't because of identity, it was because she was drinking after the Walky/Sal fight in their dorm room.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #152 on: 16 Nov 2013, 06:52 »

wow I totally missed that last panel on "night night"  :psyduck:  Didn't see the swig she took.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #153 on: 17 Nov 2013, 23:10 »

praise sithrak!

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #154 on: 18 Nov 2013, 06:17 »

Joshua and Clarice...
Joshua and Clarice...
Joshua and Clarice...
Joshua and Clarice...

:mrgreen:

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #155 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:17 »

I'm pro-Joe on this current Dumbing of Age arc, it's just a damn word.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #156 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:21 »

there are plenty of "just words" that make people uncomfortable.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #157 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:30 »

If they're "just words" then why push Joyce to say them? If they didn't have impact or meaning of some amount there'd be no amusement in getting her to say them. Especially not for money.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #158 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:30 »

Also, it's clear from this that Joyce wasn't raised Catholic (I know that was already revealed)

(relevant part starts at 3:00)

there are plenty of "just words" that make people uncomfortable.

"Damn" is not a racist, homophobic, or sexist epiteth. It does not target or attempt to bring down any group of people. I personally don't see what there is to be uncomfortable about.

If they're "just words" then why push Joyce to say them? If they didn't have impact or meaning of some amount there'd be no amusement in getting her to say them. Especially not for money.

Joyce assigns unnecessary meaning to them and it would be humorous to watch her try to use them.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #159 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:35 »

that's not for you to decide what makes Joyce uncomfortable.  Its Joyce's (or Willis in this case I suppose).   :-P

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #160 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:40 »

To be "damned" is to be condemned by god and sent to eternal punishment in hell. So for a Christian like Joyce, yeah, it's a serious word. It's also not just about the word, it's a respect issue.

If my friend told me they didn't want me to say the word, "table" around them or expect them to say it, it might seem odd to me but it's basic respect to acknowledge and try to adhere to their wishes. If it remained a point of contention one or both of us couldn't get past, then we probably couldn't be friends. Although Joyce and Joe aren't friends as such so that's why the whole discussion/argument is happening.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #161 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:44 »

not to mention Joyce never had a problem (from what I can tell) about other people swearing, its just that she doesn't want to.  It makes her uncomfortable, and when she does say it, it will be ground breaking how much that person has upset her.  :-D  Joe's just being an antagonistic guy trying to get her to go back on her own convictions.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #162 on: 18 Nov 2013, 14:48 »

Joe's antagonism towards her is understandable considering their brief date. :mrgreen: She also acknowledges some day she might swear, she just doesn't want to use words that are mainly to evoke emphasis flippantly.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #163 on: 18 Nov 2013, 16:51 »

Do you think he is doing it to get into her pants or does he really think she needs to lighten up and by coincidence continue the independent streak she started during Parents Weekend?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #164 on: 18 Nov 2013, 20:13 »

Do you think he is doing it to get into her pants or does he really think she needs to lighten up and by coincidence continue the independent streak she started during Parents Weekend?

I think it's the latter. I think Joe's interaction with Sarah in this arc shows that he isn't that dumb.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #165 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:34 »

Girls with Slingshots:

Uh oh.

Beatrice, what are you doing?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #166 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:38 »

Girls with Slingshots:

Uh oh.

Beatrice, what are you doing?

I hope it's ignorance of what he is doing...uncool if not  :x

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #167 on: 20 Nov 2013, 09:17 »

GWS: Honestly I doubt it.  Besides Beatrice expressed quite bluntly that she didn't like Joshua at all, not even as a friend.  What I'm wondering is why she has suddenly taken an interest in hanging out with him.

DoA: So is Sarah crushing?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #168 on: 20 Nov 2013, 10:18 »

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #169 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:57 »

GWS: Honestly I doubt it.  Besides Beatrice expressed quite bluntly that she didn't like Joshua at all, not even as a friend.  What I'm wondering is why she has suddenly taken an interest in hanging out with him.

I had forgotten she shot him down...hmm, perhaps she is taking an interest because he is crushing on Clarice and the two have such nice natural chemistry together

DoA: So is Sarah crushing?

She either is crushing or she for the first time ever is at a loss for words in the situation...or both

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #170 on: 20 Nov 2013, 13:09 »

I had forgotten she shot him down...hmm, perhaps she is taking an interest because he is crushing on Clarice and the two have such nice natural chemistry together
That's what I am wondering.  Hell even before she shot him down (I wonder if he was even the person who put the message inside of the book to be honest) she told Clarice how she hates that guy so much before hand.  Granted it was for something trivial, I think he takes awhile with books she wants to read or something if memory serves me.  Her new interest in hanging out with Joshua is curious to say the least.  A rival for Clarice?  I dunno.  I wouldn't take her as a bitch in trying to subvert Clarice and Joshua from getting together solely because of her loathing of Joshua, but we as a viewer do not know her that well.  Regardless, I am curious.  :popcorn:

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #171 on: 20 Nov 2013, 21:42 »

That's what I am wondering.  Hell even before she shot him down (I wonder if he was even the person who put the message inside of the book to be honest) she told Clarice how she hates that guy so much before hand.  Granted it was for something trivial, I think he takes awhile with books she wants to read or something if memory serves me.  Her new interest in hanging out with Joshua is curious to say the least.  A rival for Clarice?  I dunno.  I wouldn't take her as a bitch in trying to subvert Clarice and Joshua from getting together solely because of her loathing of Joshua, but we as a viewer do not know her that well.  Regardless, I am curious.  :popcorn:

Well, we got our answer...jealousy, rivalry, budding relationships. The classic lyric "you don't know what you got until it's gone" applies here, and it's going to be really interesting to see if he still holds some unrequited love for Beatrice or if he has moved on romantically to Clarice

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #172 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:32 »

Joshua has never expressed a romantic interest in Beatrice. It was Clarice trying to play matchmaker who wrote the note in the book.

I'd also argue Joshua hasn't really shown a romantic interest in Clarice. Not definitively any way, it is in a place where he could easily explain he's mainly just been friendly in response to Clarice being friendly, which is the same thing he is doing with Beatrice. Although we didn't see if it was him or her who initiated chatting earlier, I am curious to see why Beatrice has changed her mind about him.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #173 on: 21 Nov 2013, 04:05 »

Joshua has never expressed a romantic interest in Beatrice. It was Clarice trying to play matchmaker who wrote the note in the book.

Right, my mistake. She was trying to set her up with him to get her to lose her edge. It didn't work then but it might be working now.

I'd also argue Joshua hasn't really shown a romantic interest in Clarice. Not definitively any way, it is in a place where he could easily explain he's mainly just been friendly in response to Clarice being friendly, which is the same thing he is doing with Beatrice. Although we didn't see if it was him or her who initiated chatting earlier, I am curious to see why Beatrice has changed her mind about him.

He tried to ask her out before, but she broke her finger(s) in the bookshelf collapse http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws-1672/

Come to think of it, leading up to that point Clarice seemed to be the one who was taking an interest in him. First as a way of setting up Beatrice, then as a friend who wasn't female and wasn't sub or dome. This might be part of her overall arc that also featured her thinking about her love life during the wedding story arc

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #174 on: 21 Nov 2013, 05:03 »

He tried to ask her out before, but she broke her finger(s) in the bookshelf collapse http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws-1672/
He was going to ask her to go see their favorite author together, which they promptly did the next day even with the injury.  :-D  Nothing necessarily romantic about it.  Could be as was said, just trying to be friends.  As cute as the whole ordeal from breaking her hand up to this point has been for us, the audience.  Could just be a bit of ship tease by Danielle.  Though Clarice  did seem like she wanted to invite Joshua up a few times or was just plain awkward about everything.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #175 on: 21 Nov 2013, 07:03 »

In a different part of the webcomics world, a minor bomb was set off over in Wapsi Square.

If you haven't been following the comic, Monica (who is the main character - trust us on this) lets slip that
(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #176 on: 21 Nov 2013, 20:36 »

I have to admit, I completely forgot about tucker and Fiona.  Clarice makes me curious on what she is about to say. Dish gurl!  :popcorn:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #177 on: 22 Nov 2013, 00:40 »

DoA: dammit, Amber!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #178 on: 22 Nov 2013, 05:37 »

well He did say it like a question...across the hall...so...Damn it Danny!

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #179 on: 22 Nov 2013, 18:41 »

I just don't understand, Danny got to third base with "Amazi-Girl" and still doesn't get it. Is Amber's mask like Clark Kent's glasses?

And if that wasn't enough, there's the whole "I pissed off Amber, where is Amazi-Girl?" thing.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #180 on: 22 Nov 2013, 20:17 »

I just don't understand, Danny got to third base with "Amazi-Girl" and still doesn't get it. Is Amber's mask like Clark Kent's glasses?

And if that wasn't enough, there's the whole "I pissed off Amber, where is Amazi-Girl?" thing.

Wait- when did he get to third base?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #181 on: 24 Nov 2013, 23:53 »

so, DoA...

inb4 trainwreck?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #182 on: 25 Nov 2013, 16:03 »

DoA,
Like a car crash, can't look away but you know something bad is going to happen to Billie when Sal gets back to the room...

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #183 on: 25 Nov 2013, 16:10 »

DoA: dammit Danny!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #184 on: 25 Nov 2013, 21:26 »

DoA: go for it Danny!

GWS: d'awww its jealousy!

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #185 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:06 »

DoA: go for it Danny!

My reaction is ohgodtheawakwardnessmakeitstop

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #186 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:08 »

GWS :( She just needs to put herself out there.  If he can't accept her, then he's not as good as she thinks he is.

Ok, easy for me to say, but I'm kind of annoyed by passivity.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #187 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:20 »

Him not sharing her kink doesn't make him a bad person. If he refused to be friends with her because of it then yeah, that's bad.

I really like Joshua as a character. I hope he remains cool.  :-)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #188 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:39 »

but I'm kind of annoyed by passivity.
Curious, what do you think of good old Marten in QC?

Still rather confused on Beatrice though.  Perhaps this week we will find out her motivations?

Him not sharing her kink doesn't make him a bad person.
I think its more of "he won't date me because im a professional Domme"  I think he would still remain friends.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #189 on: 26 Nov 2013, 08:21 »

I just mean that worries about what might happen should not be stopping her.

As for the Marten question, all I can say this this.  Women should be assertive, and strong-willed, and speak their minds.  I don't really care if guys are passive or not.  ;)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #190 on: 26 Nov 2013, 11:36 »

GWS, I stand by me belief that he might have a thing for Clarice and he was too much of a gentleman to push it. He is the kind of guy who would be pleased to have her as a close friend no matter what she does for a hobby/fetish/side job, and he might even be OK with it since she doesn't have sex with the men  :-o

DoA, Danny is babbling but at least he is trying to get the truth. I hope this leads to him seeking out Amber as a person when Sal shoots him down(not literally, although that might still be a possibility)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #191 on: 26 Nov 2013, 11:58 »

I want to see Sal entertain the idea and for them to go on an embarrassing date where he makes references only him and Amazing Girl understand leaving Sal more confused...then Danny has the realization.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #192 on: 26 Nov 2013, 18:07 »

Meanwhile, Cassie is trying to hide that she's supposed to be 7 months pregnant - and she isn't. (Technically - it's a looooong story.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #193 on: 28 Nov 2013, 00:00 »

GWS: Damn, have to wait until friday!

DoA: Damnit Danny!

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #194 on: 28 Nov 2013, 00:31 »

GWS- Waitaminute! Could she have been trolling to get Clarice to reveal her true feelings?!?! That smile is too sly to be a coincidence  :-D
DoA- If Danny keeps putting his foot in his mouth Sal will put her foot in his rear end  :roll:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #195 on: 28 Nov 2013, 21:07 »

DoA: Go Danny!

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #196 on: 28 Nov 2013, 23:46 »

Shortpacked- try reading today's strip and not get a smile on your face  :-)

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #197 on: 29 Nov 2013, 00:28 »

DoA: maybe I should like, block the site for a week to get through the story in one go to make it less painful to read.
I am not normally prone to Fremdschämen, but dude.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #198 on: 30 Nov 2013, 20:30 »

Started Poppy O'Possum and I'm really enjoying it

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #199 on: 01 Dec 2013, 06:39 »

And now, so am I.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up