THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcomic Discussion Thread!  (Read 228302 times)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Webcomic Discussion Thread!
« Reply #250 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:56 »

She used a knife...that explains how she got off so easy. Teenage rebellion to get mommy's attention that went a little too far that time and cost her her high school years with her friends and bred resentment for years to come.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #251 on: 22 Dec 2013, 14:15 »

I am most curious on what Amber is going to do now that she's in full break down mode and sees Sal.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #252 on: 23 Dec 2013, 03:42 »

Meanwhile, DoA is having a flashback to the shop robbery.

I know people who are somewhat like Amber in today's strip.

TBH I'm left wondering if "that's it" as far as the robbery goes. I know people experience things differently, but I was caught up in a bank robbery as a child and it doesn't cause me to have random freak-outs or want to live my life as a superhero.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #253 on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:12 »

The emotional abuse from her father feeds heavily into it, I understand.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #254 on: 23 Dec 2013, 19:34 »

Reading Dresden Codak; beautiful art and interesting subjects--but... I can't really follow the plot(s) and references at all. I constantly have the feeling that I'm either missing a lot of information (plot-wise or regarding references) or that content of the comics go way over my head, philosophically. Anyways, it's a highly philosophical, artsy sci-fi comic, that is kind of like a mix between Gunnerkrigg Court and xkcd. I'll finish it, then re-read to try to better wrap my head around what is actually going on!  :laugh:

btw; Why is Dumbing of Age like the only comic being discussed here? Surely there are other comics deserving discussion just as much or more? :-D  I never really liked Willis' comics much, other than maybe the It's Walky! saga :-o
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2013, 19:40 by Edguy »
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #255 on: 23 Dec 2013, 19:43 »

'cause shit is really hitting the fan lately.  I havent read dresden codak in a long time  :-)
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #256 on: 23 Dec 2013, 19:46 »

The emotional abuse from her father feeds heavily into it, I understand.

I understand that, but why does she latch onto the robbery so much rather than, say, an instance of abuse by her father.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #257 on: 23 Dec 2013, 19:48 »

probably because she has no chance to become the robber, but every bit of a chance to become her father.  That and this instance probably spawned amazi-girl as she felt so helpless!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #258 on: 24 Dec 2013, 06:28 »

Reading Dresden Codak; beautiful art and interesting subjects--but... I can't really follow the plot(s) and references at all. I constantly have the feeling that I'm either missing a lot of information (plot-wise or regarding references) or that content of the comics go way over my head, philosophically. Anyways, it's a highly philosophical, artsy sci-fi comic, that is kind of like a mix between Gunnerkrigg Court and xkcd. I'll finish it, then re-read to try to better wrap my head around what is actually going on!  :laugh:
I suppose Dresden Codak does have a number of references to classic sci-fi but I don't think you need to read a lot into them. Tiny Carl Jung is just Tiny Carl Jung. In the current story arc it seems like Kim has found herself into the scientific equivalent of an Orwellian society, which I'm pretty sure is mostly played for laughs but it does fit into the overarching narrative question of what the heck is up with Kim's father.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #259 on: 24 Dec 2013, 08:39 »

I suppose Dresden Codak does have a number of references to classic sci-fi but I don't think you need to read a lot into them. Tiny Carl Jung is just Tiny Carl Jung. In the current story arc it seems like Kim has found herself into the scientific equivalent of an Orwellian society, which I'm pretty sure is mostly played for laughs but it does fit into the overarching narrative question of what the heck is up with Kim's father.

I was thinking more about the references to different philosophical directions and personalities, and all that stuff :p
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #260 on: 25 Dec 2013, 21:23 »

DoA: Amber, I know your having a break down and i'll let you finish but, Sal hasn't done any recent crime worth you taking her down.  It is unkown if she knows that Sal went to juvi for the robbery.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #261 on: 26 Dec 2013, 15:20 »

I doubt she knows or is thinking about that for that matter. She is all in "villain. exterminate" mode.

Godammit, it's like watching a can of nitroglycerin fuck a car wreck on fire.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #262 on: 26 Dec 2013, 21:19 »

DoA:  :-o of all the things that could happen... :psyduck:

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #263 on: 27 Dec 2013, 02:02 »

O goddammit it Willis.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #264 on: 27 Dec 2013, 19:13 »

DOA:

1. The only way this ends well is if Amber gives her dad another punch in his stupid fucking face.

2. Danny asked random redhead dude about a girl wearing blue and yellow (Amber). But she went by in her (also Blue and Yellow) Amazi-Girl outfit. Are we finally closing in on Danny figuring It™ out?

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #265 on: 27 Dec 2013, 19:21 »

He might be getting it or he might have fallen for the "Sal is Amazi-Girl" idiocy that Billie started...it wasn't specific enough to be definitive yet. He is still Danny after all, he might think that he could get Amazi-Girl to check in on her or find her for him.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #266 on: 28 Dec 2013, 08:07 »

Willis teased us again, cutting to Walky instead of continuing on with Blaine's manipulation...

On a bright note, you have to respect Randy Milholland for his great work this week on Something*Positive. The wedding arc ends and there is a nice realization from longtime bitch/antagonist/innocent of murder character Charisma having an epiphany about her life as many stories come together at once. Plus it was great to see the principal cast(and Candy) together in one place again even if only for a single panel.

94ssd

• Hadouken

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #268 on: 29 Dec 2013, 22:23 »

That was a good read regarding DoA.  My only gripe, and I'd have to go into the archives, is the one strip with the motorcycle helmet and her hair.  I thought she wasnt so much ashamed about her hair but about sleeping with the tutor/TA guy whose name escapes me, and the whole "fwump" was being played as a gag because the hair didn't go crazy until after she got her test results back.  Though the "fwump" of her hair may indicate just shame in general, as she is ashamed of her hair when its not straight for the reasons stated in the article, which I could totally see happening.  I too noticed the whole parents not saying goodbye on parent day and it made me feel for Sal.  The thing is we do not know how much of these racial issues Sal projects onto herself and have not been clued into any inkling of her parents true feels (if racially motivated I mean) of Sal at all.  She is most definitely neglected for sure, but the real reasons have never been made clear by the parents themselves.  The Walky comment in the first strip may be about how she views herself and he is merely explaining it, but then explains how he sees himself.  Again great article with a lot of great critical analysist (especially the mirror strip!) but I can't help but feel like we (and Sal for that matter) are missing a huge piece of the puzzle regarding Sal and Walky's Parents true feelings about them in regards to race.  For all we know it could boil down to something else entirely (they favor the boy because all they really wanted was a boy as a possible example, yet equally neglectful situation). 

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #269 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:24 »

btw; Why is Dumbing of Age like the only comic being discussed here? Surely there are other comics deserving discussion just as much or more? :-D  I never really liked Willis' comics much, other than maybe the It's Walky! saga :-o

Because GWS is still not resolving Claire and Joshua.....

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #270 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:37 »

or any new healthy developments of Hazel.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #271 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:41 »

so true.  :(

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #272 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:51 »

or any new healthy developments of Hazel.

...Last two strips might be the start of some new developments, if this isn't another extension of the whole Jaime/Santa/Erin arc...

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #273 on: 02 Jan 2014, 02:40 »

DoA: Can someone with more archive-fu than me remind me of what Joyce is talking about today? Preferably in a spoiler for the sake of those who still want to read the comic.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #274 on: 02 Jan 2014, 04:20 »

December 16/December 17 is all I'm saying.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #275 on: 02 Jan 2014, 04:40 »

DoA: Can someone with more archive-fu than me remind me of what Joyce is talking about today? Preferably in a spoiler for the sake of those who still want to read the comic.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #276 on: 06 Jan 2014, 15:21 »

Looks like Servants of the Imperium is on its way out.  :cry:

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #277 on: 09 Jan 2014, 04:39 »

When I saw panel two of today's DOA I immediately thought of this -

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #278 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:21 »

Just read through Monster Pop and I love it. The art is good/cute and I enjoy the little songs

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #279 on: 12 Jan 2014, 15:41 »

I've started reading Penny & Aggie.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #280 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:47 »

I've started reading Penny & Aggie.

How are you enjoying it?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #281 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:13 »

Rich Burlew is the greatest Stick-figure storyteller in the known universe.

From D&D to memes to sitting TV Tropes on its ear, he does it all.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #282 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:56 »

Regarding the alt-text on today's Dumbing of Age, I was going to say that I've only ever visited the library here to go to the coffee shop in the basement, but then I remembered the class I had there (it was supposed to be in the engineering department, but the scheduling got screwed up and the only room we could get was in the library).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #283 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:09 »

Regarding the alt-text on today's Dumbing of Age, I was going to say that I've only ever visited the library here to go to the coffee shop in the basement, but then I remembered the class I had there (it was supposed to be in the engineering department, but the scheduling got screwed up and the only room we could get was in the library).

I've spent many hours in the library at my school, but a lot of students here just stumble through to get to the coffee shop in the atrium.  That is until around finals week when the library is open 24-7, then it's crazy crowded during the day. People printing papers, meeting for group projects, etc. I once had to sit on the floor in a corner to be able to get an outlet for my laptop.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #284 on: 14 Jan 2014, 16:04 »

I was bouncing back and forth between what to say about where I am on Penny and Aggie, but now that I've finished the arc...

(click to show/hide)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #285 on: 16 Jan 2014, 12:05 »

I'm just gonna leave this here...   :-D

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #286 on: 16 Jan 2014, 13:05 »

Girls with Slingshots: happy Hazel is a great change...hope it's a change for the better!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #287 on: 16 Jan 2014, 13:10 »

it looks like she might be evolving...for once.  :-D

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #288 on: 17 Jan 2014, 13:02 »

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #289 on: 18 Jan 2014, 00:32 »

DoA: Awwwyeah

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #290 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:13 »

I cannot wait to see what happens in Poppy next. That arena fight is a hell of a ride.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #291 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:22 »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #292 on: 18 Jan 2014, 15:55 »

BTW, I don't know how many of you are fans and former followers of John Joseco's comic The Lounge, but I thought I'd just let you know that the Comic has restarted again.  JJ has also let it be known that this year will be The Lounge's last year, so I suspect he will be closing out all the storylines in the following 12 months.

Link here if you've lost it or deleted it.  http://thelounge.keenspot.com/
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2014, 07:32 by Blue Kitty »

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #294 on: 19 Jan 2014, 22:04 »

Shortpacked! will end in a year

It explains why the quality of stories has slipped quite a bit, why he got rid of three of the main cast members, why we got newer ones who weren't fleshed out too much...At least he is going out his own way, even if it sucks for us regular readers

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #295 on: 19 Jan 2014, 23:00 »

DoA:
(click to show/hide)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #296 on: 19 Jan 2014, 23:47 »

Loki, I completely agree with you.

And by the way. According to Willis the Slipshine comic is canon. But I definitely can't afford that.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #297 on: 20 Jan 2014, 18:52 »

is it bad that I know what slipshine is...and shocked that Willias is going to be doing it?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #299 on: 24 Jan 2014, 19:25 »

He's at it again
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up