THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make-Up Thread: Because we all like to feel pretty sometimes  (Read 48898 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What's a white chocolate face pack? It sounds delicious!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

catflea

• Obscure cultural reference

One of these

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/160952290770?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

My skin has been so rubbish lately that I've been treating myself to one on a weekly basis at least,  all different types.  I've just started to notice a real difference from them in the last few days....

I think the crappy skin is probabally due to hormonal stuff  (I'm on HRT and just changed how I take the pills) but  it seems to be helping...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I use facemasks once in a while because my skin gets very greasy/oily and then I overclean my face making it very dry. I really like the ones you peel off. I also like peeling off blackhead face/nose strips because I have so many huge ones and I imagine I can feel them coming out. Skin instantly feels better afterwards.

Also I have some photos of my nails I did over the weekend on my phone which I'll show when I get them off my phone.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

I absolutely LOVE those face strips. It's fun for me to feel them hardening on my nose and it's interesting to me to see the things I yanked out of my face.

</weird>
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

catflea

Its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo satisfying busting blackheads isn't it?

I remember once giving a tiny one on my nose a squeeze and got a good inch of goo squeeze out  :roll:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Yeah that is far too satisfying.

I have a couple of different face-masque-type-things that I really need to use but I always feel silly in them. Like one turns completely black, so it's almost like I'm wearing terribly done blackface.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Confession-in-the-wrong-thread tribute to Neko: I totally wore badly-done blackface when I was younger (but still old enough that I should have known better) for a costume.

Also I never considered that cosmetic face-masks are a thing. I uh...should probably look into that. That might help a bit.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

For example!

http://www.lushusa.com/Fresh-Face-Masks/fresh-face-masks,en_US,sc.html

I haven't tried any yet but I will be soon.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Damnit cross-linking between taste and smell...so much makeup and skin/hair care products can confuse one for a moment. Am I supposed to rub them on my face or my tongue?  :psyduck:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I've gotten some of Lush's other deliciously-smelling stuff in my mouth before. Not on purpose, I assure you. But it was nasty. I also got some salt scrub in my mouth once and it was like I just poured a whole container of salt in my mouth.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Lush' RubRubRub on an eczema split skin is ... well, I'd cross post it to that nice discussion about various concepts of 'hell' in discuss.

I'm still a great fan of lush products, though.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

catflea

I feel a bit fugly today.  I want someone to give me a makeover......

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

On it!

*waves magic wand*

Poof! Now you're a Dogflea.  :mrgreen:

catflea

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You said "makeover", not "improvement". 

Remember to be specific in your wishes...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

I've always wanted to start a thread about theoretical fuckwith-proof wishes.  I think if people just put their heads together, we could outsmart those wish-giving tricksters.

Also, I bought some lash stiletto mascara (at papersatan's suggestion), and I am loving the heck out of it.  I am having eyelashes!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

my foolproof wish idea was "to succeed at whatever I attempt"

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

I guess I'd try to argue that you attempted to die when doing something silly so...

catflea

my foolproof wish idea was "to succeed at whatever I attempt"

what if you attempted to fail?

Papersatan

I did up my eyes for my bar night last night:

(awkward face from forgetting the timer was still on from taking a pic of my outfit just before)

(Maybelline Pink Sands, Maybelline Electric Blue, L'Oreal H.I.P Showy (aqua as the darkest shadow, and the blue as liner), Lash Stiletto mascara)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Papersatan

nails to match my longing for spring:

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Reading bits and pieces of this thread got me thinking, how much of a thing are sauna's/wellness resort type things in the US/anywhere that is not the Netherlands?

In case you're not clear on what this is exactly, imagine walking around naked all day, getting in various saunas and pools and baths, sunbathe and in general just spend the entire day doing little but getting clean(er) whilst walking around naked (with optional massages and beauty treatments etc. if you pay extra).

ackblom12

Culturally, it's not a thing at all.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Oh you poor, poor people. There are few things more wonderful than walking around naked all day doing nothing and walking out feeling cleaner than you have ever felt before.

ackblom12

In the US, being naked is super gross and terrible unless you're having sex. In which case it's gross and immoral but everyone does it anyway.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

That's why I am/was curious, Americans seem almost paranoid about being naked (to me) but on the other hand, saunas are one of the most wonderful things ever.

catflea

Saunas round these parts are pick up joints for teh gays  :-P

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I've been curious about nudist resorts and nude beaches, but not very tempted to find one. But I gather that the transition from anxiety and fully clothed to nude and at ease among others is fairly brief.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2013, 20:33 by Redball »

Zingoleb

given that i'm usually naked given half a chance that sounds kind of perfect for me. gosh.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

I'm from a pretty sexually/physically conservative background...hell, reserved in a lot of other ways too (sometimes to our and Humanity's detriment, I'd argue). So being in the D/S/Kink social group in my city is a trip some days, since like a lot of sex-positive environments nudity is often not a big deal.

It's cool, I'm a little slow to adjust though. I did get in a hot tub last month finally, though! So now I kind of want a sauna...

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

hahaha naked in front of people

I kept a shirt on during sex until I was maybe... I dunno, 22?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Dohoho...I admit, with all my problems that wasn't one of them.

Also I did pick up some nose 'pore-cleansing' strips (i.e. wax-strips -lite). They're amusing.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Saunas round these parts are pick up joints for teh gays  :-P
There's still one sauna like that in Amsterdam I think, although with all the rainbow flags and the whole damn gay street it's not like it's really needed.

I've been curious about nudist resorts and nude beaches, but not very tempted to find one. But I gather that the transition from anxiety and fully clothed to nude and at ease among others is fairly brief.
There's not much time to be fully clothed and once you get inside everyone else is naked or wearing a towel or bathrobe anyway and it's just a little weird perhaps but once you get in the sauna and sit/lie down on your towel in a very hot and steamy room it's all good.

Papersatan

I think it is easy to get over being naked in a space with other naked people.  Once you see that other bodies don't look like magazine bodies either, and that noone cares, it is pretty easy to let go of the anxiety about people seeing you. 

Zingoleb

weeeeelllll, partially. if there's a space with other trans/intersex persons walking around in the buff that's great, but i'm still pretty hesitant to drop my drawers around cis people.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

Yeah, being trans probably complicates the whole thing. Or get you looks anyway. I can't say I've ever seen someone at the place I usually go to who was trans but then again, I'd probably be oblivious to it until it's pointed out to me.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Nah I'm nervous in those situations, too. I'm still nervous being naked in front of people who have seen me naked and assured me they enjoyed the experience.

My mother, however, had no such problems. Half my childhood friends saw her naked at one time or another.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

I'm genuinely curious, why are you uncomfortable naked?

I've known nothing but being comfortable naked and it's hard to understand to me while people would be uncomfortable being naked around others in a social situation where that's accepted. Aside from being trans of course because you're quite different from what people expect (although I personally wouldn't mind at all).

Zingoleb

you don't have to be trans* to experience discomfort with your body.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

To paraphrase Patrick O'Leary's book "The Gift", I'd say much of the time someone got a story in their head that was wrong, from someone they trusted, someone they needed.

Aethien

• Curry sauce

you don't have to be trans* to experience discomfort with your body.
It's not the discomfort with your body, it's more the fact that others may not know how to deal with how your body looks that would get to me.

Imperfections and the like... well, I know what the average sauna goer looks like. Nobody's got anything to worry about.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I already hadn't liked my body much as a kid/pre-teen/teen, but then one of the first guys I really looked up to and then had sex with basically was like OH MY GOD EW when I got naked.

Along with just really liking nothing about my body at all. And not looking anything close to "normal" even for a fat chick

Aethien

• Curry sauce

I'd say try it because the fact that nobody will really think you being naked is a big deal might help but I can't say that for sure really. I found it quite refreshing although I have to admit that I'm reasonably fit and in shape.

And although I don't know what you look like (naked or otherwise) I'm willing to bet that you're not much more or less normal than other people. Although I can understand how painful it must've been to have someone go "eww!" when you're in such a vulnerable position (also, complete dick move by the guy there).

Papersatan

Back to makeup. 

I did a slight cat eye.  6 tries and they still aren't the same, sigh.  Also a rare, brave showing of lip color. I put color on my lips 1/10 times I wear make-up, and 9/10 of those I wipe it off before I leave the house.  I am still home, so we'll so if it makes it to the bar. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

The lip color really looks good!  It accentuates the cupid's bow you've got. 

Of course, the lighting's crap for that picture, so it's hard to tell the actual color, but the accentuation is really nice! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

I got all pretty for a lunch date.  I wore lipstick again.  It might be a thing now, this color is really subtle.  The eye makeup is my 'regular' conservative look.  The side bun was daring and new and I like it.  I never do anything with my hair but put it up in a clip, or wear is down and free. 

Zingoleb

blue eyeliner and a mascara moustache?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

The eye makeup is my 'regular' conservative look.

To match the equally conservative pink hair? ;D

blue eyeliner and a mascara moustache?

Mascarastache? :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I have blue mascara but I've never worn it. The blue eyeliner looks good, Unicorn.

Papersatan

The eye makeup is my 'regular' conservative look.

To match the equally conservative pink hair? ;D

I actually get quite anxious about my appearance in situations when the assumptions people make about me based on my appearance matter, like job interviews or networking events.  The two strikes against me are that I am very fat* and I have pink hair.  I think my best angle is to try and present myself as fastidious about my appearance and help them see my hair as a fashionable choice, and not a sign of rebellion or a counter culture lifestyle, and to look conventionally pretty, in spite of my size*.  For this reason I wear makeup that is neutral and 'clean' to show I that I understand and can comply with conventional beauty norms and to counteract the contrary assumption people may otherwise make.  I also end up with a great deal of anxiety about what to wear because I feel that I need, again, to show with my clothes that I understand what is appropriate, but I need the clothing to look like it goes with my hair, and not to make the hair stand out more.  I think that business clothing that is too conservative, particularly if it does not fit perfectly (and clothing that fits well is hard to find at this size), it  looks like I have borrowed it, or that I don't care about how I look.  I need to convey that I am not playing dress-up, this is who I am.  I am professional, and I am serious about myself and what I do. 

I have friends who cannot understand why this is such a big deal for me, but I think they underestimate how much we judge each other on appearance and on how much being an outlier can impact how you are treated.

*I want to reassert here, particularly for people who are newer and have missed my previous ranting about weight, when I say I am  very fat I do not think that is a bad thing.  I love myself and my body and am happy with how I look, I am however aware that my size alters what others are likely to think about me in negative ways. 

On the topic of the topic though, my friend and I did each other's nails:
She gave me galexies

I gave her fuzzy monsters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up