THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make-Up Thread: Because we all like to feel pretty sometimes  (Read 48576 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Reviving this thread, because I need to feel pretty -

to all successful long-haired people in this forum, how do you get rid of curls like these?

Inb4 cutting it off.

There's also a dreamy version of this image if anybody likes it.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

you can let the curls grow out, the length of the hair should weigh down the curl and make them looser. Otherwise you can use a hair straightener.

If you're extremely serious about this you can have them chemically straightened.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Well they're supposed to be as long as the rest of my hair.

How does chemical straightening work? And how much damage does it do to your hair?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

There are several different chemical straightening treatments. They work in different ways, and the straightening lasts for varying periods. All the treatments are quite expensive, and employ powerful chemicals. Some treatments contain formaldehyde which is toxic; "Brazilian straightening" has a particularly bad reputation. The gold standard is thermal reconditioning, often called "Japanese straightening", but it is time-consuming, expensive, and requires meticulous care for the first few days after the treatment.

Honestly for little frizzy curls like the ones in your picture, I wouldn't get involved with chemical straightening at all. Grow them out, and use a good conditioner.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Conditioner will make a big difference - a hairdresser recently told me that it will also help the hair to dry faster if you condition every time you wash.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

You can get a shampoo/conditioner which is designed to straighten hair or tame frizz.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Reviving this thread, because I need to feel pretty -

to all successful long-haired people in this forum, how do you get rid of curls like these?

My hair never gets curly, but it can get *very* wavy.  I tend to use Paul Mitchell's Slickworks or Straightworks to make my hair behave and not get as big as it is wont to do.  But as others said, the longer it gets, the straighter it tends to get.  At shoulder-length, my hair gets bigger and rather wavy, but when it was down to my arse, it was totally straight, even without product.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I use conditioner as well.

It's time like these where I question my choice of having long hair. Just so much work.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Maybe make an effort to tuck that piece behind your ear? Or if you can, when you're at home, wear a little hair clip (you can get them without bows, but holy shit you'd be adorable with a bow in your hair) to keep it back, and it will eventually learn to stay. Mostly.

But with the heat, there's humidity, and that makes everything curl up.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened

Ok people with long and/or thick, wavy hair - I have one spot in my hair at the base of my neck that is determined to stay matted. I can usually comb it out when wet, but it retangles itself throughout the day. Is there a way to stop it? Or should I just let it be a dredlock? I haven't had hair this long in over 10 years and when I did, it wasn't wavy and didn't do this. If making a dred is easier, how the heck do I do that?

Halp?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

How often do you brush your hair? Admittedly mine is mostly straight, but I would think that brushing it more would help. I've never heard of that happening, it's pretty interesting.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened

Once maybe twice a day. I usually brush it, let it air dry, then pull it back. I don't leave it down too often.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Maybe try brushing that spot a little more often and see how it goes? At least until you can find a better option. Is it a spot that doesn't get fully pulled into the ponytail, or something like that?

Papersatan

Is it when you wear it down that this happens? 

My hair is pretty curly and I usually wear it down, when I do it gets pretty tangled in the center underneath, but I just don't worry about it because no one can see it.  That's one of the things about curly hair, it's not going to be smooth and tangle free to run your hands through.  I really only brush it out once every few days, right before I wash it because otherwise it's just a big poof.  I make sure I can get it into three sections to braid it at night, but otherwise just let it tangle as it pleases an brush it out before the next wash. 

My only suggestion to prevent it is changing up your conditioner maybe?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Conditioner would be my suggestion, I know usually you are only meant to put it on the ends but maybe putting some on that spot will help.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened

I use a lot of conditioner on the underside of my hair. I think that's the only reason I  usually can coax it to untangle. But it happens when it's up overnight, too. Oh well. I can deal. I'll try a stronger conditioner... Any recommendations?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

That happens to me as well, a spot gets really tangled where the hair rests on my shoulders. I have no advice though.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I always had luck with this stuff: http://www.aussie.com/en_US/3-minute-miracles

Lines

• Awakened

I'll check it out next time I go to the store. This is what I'm currently using, as I tried going sulfate/silicone free with my shampoo and conditioner and I quite like the results so far. (Hooray for silky not dry hair!) It's just that now my hair is long enough and I guess curly enough to make its own birds nest.

Last time I had long hair it was thinner and won't-do-anything straight. Thank you age and hormones or something? (I've always wanted not straight hair, so I am actually quite happy with it otherwise.)

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

if your hair is curly, brushing it would prob just make it frizzier.

If your hair is matting more overnight, maybe try braiding it?

I french braid my hair when it is wet and it will be less likely to tangle once dry.

But yeah, also conditioner. I'd say look for formulas specifically for curly or matted hair.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Mine is straight to wavy but pretty long right now too and I've been having the tangle problem as well! I found that waiting a while after I shower and brushing it while it's slightly damp has been helpful. I also started using this recently. It was in one of my Ipsy bags as a trial size and I loved it so much that I splurged on the full size. (bought on eBay though- much cheaper!)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened

if your hair is curly, brushing it would prob just make it frizzier.

Yeah, that's why I almost never brush it. If I do brush it, it's because it's day-old-"dirty" and I'm pulling it back into a ponytail or bun. I usually use a wide toothed comb after a shower to detangle and then leave it be. I'll have to try braiding it. It's finally long enough to try that.

Also maybe I'll try that leave in conditioner, too? Think I might try braiding first, though, because yeah, that's a bit pricy! (Thanks, Ulta.)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

A friend just posted a song/music video about having long hair and while I can't watch it til I get home, someone commented, "Oh, the god awful neck dread! -shakes fist-" so apparently it is a lot more common than I knew.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

It is but I absolutely love it! I think on eBay it was $11, including shipping. Plus, it lasts forever!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

A century of the "big" hair and make up trends by decade, in just a minute.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Papersatan

Did my nails to match the logo for the event I'm speaking at tomorrow.
Super excited!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

They look great! Very stylish.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up